Board Games Year in Review

So looking back on 2017, what was your personal favorite board game released and why?

Personally, my favorite was a game by Martin Wallace called 'The Arrival, I like the theme (wrestling control of ancient Ireland from mythical monsters and settling the lands there). And I like the straight forward mechanics of the game where I'm forced to make choices with incomplete information.

A lot of people seemed to dislike it but I loved the Dark Souls Board game. The combat is really fun and tactical where you have to think out each move to be able to survive, even if rng can fuck you over sometimes, but that's board games for ya. It's also something you can just sit down for a good chunk of a day and play with your friends. I suppose that's it's biggest flaw, that it can take like 6 hours to play from start to end, I'd really like to see some quickplay rules.

From what I've seen, most folk's complaints about Dark Souls have centered on the 'time sink' to grind up to the Boss encounters, and the fact that loot tends to be random and can leave the group ill-prepared to actually face the final Boss.

Our group is currently thoroughly enjoying Gloomhaven and Dinosaur Island.

Century spice road. Improved what splendor did in everyway. Beautiful in its simplicity and elegance.

Gloomhaven. Finally got my copy right after Thanksgiving and my group has been loving it ever since.

>Gloomhaven

This is one KS I'm sorry I missed. This (in spite of the witless bitching about it being a plastic pusher) looks to be a fantastic game. So jelly!

Milesians pls go an stay go.

Gloomhaven seems like such a fucking meme to me. I don't get why I wouldn't just play a D&D campaign.

And in other exciting news! There's a tie for the winner of the "I have nothing useful to add so I'll whine like a cunt and shit-up the thread" award.

Bravo Anons - here's your (You).

Calm down nigga, not every opinion has to be positive nor is it an attack on you if it's not.

Godfather was a pretty good game too. Though the playtime is a bit long.

I'm loving it too actually. Got it as a gift.

Trials of Indines really tightened up the core BattleCON experience, and the characters were pretty sweet too.

Just like the real game!

Either Twilight Imperium 4th Edition or Civilization : New Dawn

The former is a masterpiece, a refinement of 3rd edition with the rough bits smoothed out (better trade, better politics (politics cards are actually good), better objectives (being allowed multiple secret objectives is a huge improvement)), better components etc.

Played a 6 player game in 6 hours, which is fair. Only one player had never played 3rd edition before so it would have been about 5 hours if he was more comfortable with rules.

Civ : New Dawn is the other end of the scale. A game with the feeling of a 4x that plays in about 90 minutes or less. I'm looking forward to any expansions for this (new races, wonders, techs) as it seems very expandable without adding complexity.

Biggest disappointment : Legacy of Dragonholt. Basically "fag hag : the quest".

Gloomhaven or Gaia Project

Clans of Caledonia would be a fairly close 3rd

>"fag hag : the quest".
????

The entire quest involves you doing chores for a lesbian couple (orc and gnome female - I don't even know how that would work), leading up to their wedding. This is not hinted at anywhere in the description or online material, so it was a bait and switch for me. The individual quest books are cool, but the main storyline is awful.

I like exit games.
They're fun, especially with a larger group, since usually SOMEONE will see a pattern

>doing chores for a lesbian couple
which is the exact opposite of what a fag hag is

guys, it would help if you tell us more about the games instead of just saying "I liked X!" I mean, you might also like cacti-rectal insertion, tell us what you liked about the game for God's sake