YA RPG

Tongue lodged firmly in cheek, let’s try to make a (theoretically workable) RPG covering modern YA fiction. From vampire romances to dystopian futures and child demigods.

What mechanics do we use?

Just play Monsterhearts.

I find most men who play female PCs are either playing lesbian fetishbait waifus or the protagonist from their unpublished YA epic journey trilogy. Really any narrativist system works because YA novels always follow basic bitch Heroe's Journey tropes.

Use FATE? It's great for basically everything that's not too combat-heavy or dungeon-crawly.

>or the protagonist from their unpublished YA epic journey trilogy
fuck, that was me

What's it like being a YA protagonist?

What dose "YA" stand for? Young american?

young adult

What’s your definition of “modern”? Does Harry Potter count? Do the Animorphs?

thanks to this post i can ask
what defines "young adult"? are "percy jackson" and "artemis fowl" YA novels?

Yes, those are YA novels.

Basically any book written for the 12-16 age bracket is YA at this point. Which is amusing considering their most rabid fans are people in their 20s.

>All these uncreative bitches ITT

>All stats are fixed except Sue. Sue is sort of like the wild die from SW except it grows over time, mimicking how these characters start off balanced stock archetypes but go on to be great at everything (especially martial arts). Sue also directly determines physical attractiveness.
>PCs are referred to as "inserts"
>Relatively extensive romance mechanics. Normally I hate those, but making romance tacked on yet intrusive is exactly the tone we're going for. Half the point of the game should be collecting a harem of potential waifus and husbandos. However, as your Sue stat increases, so does competition between the harem. Also some kind of mechanical incentive against actually dating/fucking any of them (or doing it for too long). Remember, who your insert should fuck is more dramatic and important than saving the world
>Inserts are students at post-apoc wizard school. They're chosen from the surrounding communities of oppressed dirt farmers in an elaborate ceremony. After being inducted, they're forced to wizard battle each other for the amusement of the rich (OMG DEEP POLITICAL COMMENTARY) but also secretly to keep their skill sharp in case the great evil that caused the apocalypse comes back it will
>Inserts can be a wide variety of movie monsters- werewolves, vampires, zombies. However, these are only minor stat bonuses and maluses

>only minor stat bonuses and maluses
I disagree with this, I actually believe that the maluses should be minor, yet heavily over-dramatised, while the bonuses should be massive. This way certain relationships that should be harder to mantain (e.g. Vampires with werewolves) would both require more time to develope and create stronger tensions between the various members of the insert's harem thus giving in return a greater increase in Sue

>However, as your Sue stat increases, so does competition between the harem.
I can't believe I'm taking this shit so seriously, but I should point you to a very good little indie game called "Hero's Banner" which has a mechanic which might be relevant here. It essentially assures, in a mathematically interesting way, that as the hero's journey progresses they'll be forced into choosing between one of several ideals, ultimately locking into one of them and forever forsaking the other (just replace "ideals" with "love interests").

Good point. What do humans get bonuses in? Also, building your harem increases your Sue? I like it

>All stats are fixed except Sue
Isn't that counter to the point? Sues unlock new powers/master new skills constantly.

YA is really just teenagers in general. Its really a genre that's far too broad, because it encompasses romance, adventure, mystery, and pretty much any other genre, but then just aims it at teenagers.

You gain one new ability every game session, but your stat block never goes up. Again, the idea is to represent going from relatable stock character to perfect at everything supergenius combat master

FATE is bad.

IMHO, it shouldn't have a default setting. In fact, I think you might do something like Jewish user's WANG system suggested (in fact, I believe the suggestion was specifically called something like the "Lazy GM's Young Adult Science Fiction Novel Style Plot Generator"): at the beginning of the game you roll randomly for a "theme", which is inevitably some sort of middle-school tier bit of "social commentary" or "philosophical statement", like "consumerism is bad", "people fit into cliques", or "beauty over brains", then you roll randomly again for some/several setting element/s, like "young mutants", "vampires", "nanotechnology" or "oppressive regime".

You mix and match to make the setting. The whole point is that it's arbitrary, superficial and weak.

There's a Mary Sue. This is a DMPC.

Players are either friends or romantic interests of the Mary Sue. Instead of classes, you have cliches, which are things like Jock, Book Nerd, Frat Boy, whatever. Their goal is to help the Mary Sue progress in her story (the MAIN story) while also trying to progress in their own B-plots. However, if a player starts stealing the spotlight from Mary Sue, they'll get punished by the game.

>Does Harry Potter count?
Yes, Harry Potter certainly is in leagues with Twilight and other modern YA fiction.

>Animorphs
Never read those books.

>Never read those books.
Didn't miss much, it's a painfully generic 90's YA series Veeky Forums is obsessed with for some bizarre, most likely fetishistic reason.

In general, if the protagonists are a group of teenagers, it's almost certainly a YA novel. So Potter, Animorphs, anything else by Applegate(even though they tend to be pretty dark), etc. are all YA novels.

>To Kill a Mockingbird
>Lord of the Flies
>The Kite Runner

>In general

I said teenagers, not children. And yeah, there are some exceptions.

>why did he emphasize 'white'?

Probably nostalgia more than fetishism. They were popular books when a lot of the late 20-somethings here were kids.

>character classes based off classic highschool clique stereotypes
>Jock, Nerd, Prep, Freak
>Specialize into activities like sports, fighting, computers, music, etc
>Struggle through teen insecurities and lack of motivation to navigate the social landscape while looking to meet objectives
>Vie to be noticed by Mary Sue

I'd play it

Muh soggy knew and ess jay double(you)s

Direct bonus to Sue, I would imagine.

That doesn't really cover the breadth of YA, though. Even if you're only focusing on the specific cliches of the genre, you still need to take into account not just supernatural romances but also the venerable "turns out I'm actually a [powerful sort of person], I'm going away to learn how to use my real powers", or the new trend of "in a dystopian future society based on [teenager's misconception of social norm], a plain but brave, individualistic girl must fight against convention to save everyone from themselves and an evil authority figure who hates rebellion because it thinks freedom is bad".

That works. Something like, all the monster races get +2 to certain stat plus a non-mechanical weakness (vampires with sunlight, werewolves with silver), humans get +1 Sue with no downside?

Any idea where I could find this?

Sure, though without knowing the other stats I can't tell how balanced that would be.

World of Darkness

The Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG was pretty much this.

I was thinking
>d20
>4 stats, strength, agility, charisma, intelligence
>Players get 3 points to distribute any way they choose, plus the bonuses from their race
>Each point grants +1 to rolls
>Each point of Sue grants an additional +1 to every roll
>Sue score is equal to the number of love interests, or that number +1 for humans

It's a really shitty game, you shouldn't bother with it for the most part. It has an interesting gimmick in that a lot of actions in game are resolved by requiring the player to do something challenging/funny around the table (like pushups or saying tongue twisters or making up anagrams on the spot), but the presentation is nothing short of abominable and really, really reeks of appeal to reddit.

In case you're still interested, here's the relevant "expansion page". Just refer to the textbox in the bottom right.

Because America is an awful mysterious place where being white isn't the normal default state. Think about London or Paris (or whatever the hated big city of your country) but all the continent is either like that or empty untamed land.

Okay, I'm cribbing a certain RPG about small equines that I possess at the moment for this, but I think it's simple enough to work.

1/?

Characters are Inserts; the GM is the Narrator.

There are four Attributes:
- Mind
- Body
- Charm
- Sue

Charm starts at a d6. Sue starts at a d4. You pick one of Mind or Body to start with a d6, and the remainder gets a d4. Thus a starting Insert could be Mind d4, Body d6, Charm d6, Sue d4.

You start at level 1. Each time you gain a level, you can increase the die size of Mind, Body, or Charm by one step (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20). However none of these can be more than two steps better than the others (so as to prevent crippling overspecialization); so if you have Mind d4, Body d6, and Charm d10, you can't improve Charm to d12 unless you improve your Body or Mind to at least a d8.

At each odd-numbered level after 1st, your Sue trait automatically increases in die size by one step, to a max of d20 at 11th level. This ignores the limits on die size increase for Mind, Body, and Charm.

You also have Skills; you start with your choice of two at d6 or one at d8. You can create your own Skills. Skills should represent specific talents, such as Basketweaving, Magic Shield, Magic Missile, Kung Fu, Guns, Mathematics, History, Flight, and so on. What can and can't be a skill is adjudicated by the Narrator. Whenever you gain a level, in addition to increasing an Attribute, you can increase a Skill you have by one die step instead; or you can pick up a new Skill at d4. Skills ignore the restriction on increasing them that Attributes have; they cap at d20.

Certain game events may bestow free Skills on you, such as gaining a magic book that gives you Read Minds d6.

>small equines
Falabellas?

2/?

When attempting to do something, you first determine whether you need to use Mind (for mental stuff), Body (for physical stuff), or Charm (for social stuff). You roll your Attribute plus the relevant Skill if you have it; for example, to make an attack you might roll Body plus Kung Fu.

(Each Martial Art is its own distinct skill. For the most part this is purely for flavor, but it might become relevant if the Narrator decides; for example, if your Insert knows Kung Fu, s/he can't compete in a Boxing tournament)

Tasks you attempt have a Difficulty that ranges from 2 to 20.

2 - Very Easy
3 - Easy
4 - Quite easy
5 - Quite hard
6 - Hard
7 - Very hard
8 - Extremely hard
9 - Unbelievably hard
10 - Indescribably hard
11 - Almost impossible
12 - You gotta be kidding!
13-20 - Has anyone ever done this?!

Inserts have Stamina that is equal to their Mind die size plus their Body die size (10 for starting Inserts). Whenever your Mind or Body die increases, your Stamina improves by that much as well (Mind d8 plus Body d6 equals 14 Stamina). Stamina decreases whenever something strenuous happens: trekking long distances, taking damage, eating bad food, etc. When Stamina reaches 0, you fall unconscious until you recover 1 Stamina. Stamina is recovered at a rate of 1 per day, or 2 per day if you're in a comfy environment.

Hitting another Insert requires an attack (Body + a Martial Art you know) against a difficulty that is equal to the target's Body die size (d6 = Difficulty 6). Each hit deals damage based on your own Body die size:

d4: 1
d6: 2
d8: 3
d10: 4
d12: 5
d20: 6

Mental or Magical attacks might instead involve rolling Mind. Damage calculation is unchanged.

3/?

You can perform "Social Combat" with the Charm skill against the target's Charm skill like an attack, although never during physical combat. This inflicts points of Anxiety equal to the damage of an attack outlined above. If an Insert's Anxiety is ever equal to their current Stamina, then they are Shamed and their Insert must leave the scene at the first available opportunity and not contest any Charm roles you make for the remainder of the scene. Anxiety decreases at a rate of 1 per day, or 2 per day if you Insert recovers in their personal Safe Space (such as their favorite café, their room at home, or so on)

You can aid a character in a check. If you do, then their Attribute die improves by one step for that check; for example, aiding someone with Body d6 making an attack improves the die to d8 for that attack. Two or more characters aiding you do not cause your die to further increase.

The Sue Die functions as a bonus die. You may roll it once per scene per the Sue Die's size (like with damage above; d4 = once, d6 = twice, and so on), and add the die result to your other die rolls. For example, when making an attack, you could roll Body + Kung Fu skill + Sue.

When attacked, you can also as a reaction roll your Sue die and add the result to your Body to determine the difficulty to hit you with that one attack. For example, if you have Body d8 and roll a 4 on your Sue die, then the attacker must roll a 12 to hit you with that attack.

>I'm very plain, but also gorgeous

Wat

4/5

Your Sue trait also determines the number of Love Interests you have, as with damage above (d4 = one, d6 = two, and so on). Love Interests are Narrator Peon Characters (NPCs) who desire you for your beauty, charm, wit, unreachability, or whatever else you like. Your stable of NPCs is collectively referred to as your Harem. NPCs in your Harem can also be part of another Insert's Harem, which may be a source of drama and inter-party conflict. Members of your Harem may also occasionally fight each other for your affections, requiring you to intervene - or stand aside and watch them duke it out.

NPCs in your Harem can be presumed to aid you in any check you make in a scene that you are both it. If the NPC is part of multiple Inserts' Harems, then they aid the Insert with the higher Sue trait. If there is a tie, the Inserts involved roll their Sue traits against one another until one rolls the highest number.

An NPC who is mistreated may leave your Harem, but only if the NPC's Charm is equal to or greater than your own Charm. NPCs in your Harem can also die. In either case, you do not automatically recover lost NPCs. Instead, whenever you gain a level, you can gain a new Love Interest in lieu of upgrading an Attribute or Skill. This new Love Interest can be an existing NPC (including one who had previously left your Harem), or a new one.

Finally, your character begins the game with one or more Quirks. Quirks are flaws or drawbacks possessed by your character. They rarely (if ever) have mechanical effects, however; rather, they are expected to be roleplayed, but if you forget to roleplay them on occasion, it's no big deal. Quirks might be something like being loud, random, shy, self-centered, nearsighted, asthmatic, and so on.

5/5

Finally, some sample Races. Not every game includes Races, and your Narrator may make up his or her own.

HUMAN
- Your Sue trait starts one die larger, at d6 instead of d4. At 11th level, increase of increasing in size, you gain an extra use of it per scene.

ELF
- You begin with your choice of one of these skills in addition to your other skills
- - Magic: Detect Magic (d4): Lets you detect nearby magic with a successful Mind + Detect Magic roll.
- - Woodland Survival (d4): Allows you to survive in the woods
- - Archery (d4): Martial skill; can be rolled alongside Body in an attack.

VAMPIRE
- Your Charm starts at d8
- You gain the following Skill, in addition to your other skills:
- - Bite (d6): Martial skill; can be rolled alongside Body in an attack.
- You gain the following Quirks:
- - Sunlight Sensitivity (You take 1 point of Stamina damage for each round that you are in direct sunlight)
- - Blood Addiction (you must feed on blood daily to survive, represented dealing at least 1 point of Stamina damage with your Bite skill to a living creature. Each full day (24 hours) without blood inflicts 2 automatic Stamina damage that can't be recovered by resting unless you have drunk blood that day. If you reach 0 Stamina in this way, you die)

CAT PERSON
- You gain the following Skill, in addition to your other skills:
- - Catlike Reflexes (d4): You can roll this whenever you need to do something catlike, such as jump long distances or run along walls.
- You gain the following Quirk:
- - Short Attention Span

MLP: Tails of Equestria, dude, come on. Do I have to spell it out?

Side note, according to the latest ToE adventure, Equestria has an Underdark. With flumphs, identical in appearance and temperament to D&D flumphs.

>painfully generic
The ghostwritten ones sure, but you could tell which ones were actually written by the author because they were body horror + genocidal space war with child soldiers and everyone's dying.

It's a very common feature of Mary Sue characters, which are themselves a common feature of bad YA literature. Basically, the character THINKS that they're ugly (so they come off as humble, and the reader can identify with them - because if there's one thing common to every teenage girl who has ever lived is they felt ugly), but the narrative makes it patently obvious that they're OBJECTIVELY gorgeous (which also helps with the aforementioned self insert gimmick since it gives the reader a confidence boost)

Nowadays it's ever-so-slightly less common since it's become such a cliche it's becoming hard to do unrionically.

When you come down to it, is it really all that different than anime/light novels about a "plain otaku loser" who inexplicably has every hot woman he runs into fall madly in love with him?

Not at all, but that's a bit of a boring cliché too.

Shouldn't this system also include a fairly robust mechanic for handling special powers and such? Given their prominence in the source material? It's true you could model all of them with skills but if we're talking Mary Sues, I think it's important to note exactly WHAT "unthinkable feat" of "extremely rare type of magic" your character could perform at an "unbelievably young age" to show they're the chosen one.

You can feel free to add one, if you like, but I've got a D&D session in 45 minutes that I need to prepare for.

Absolutely not. Think about Harry Potter: What you(or any specific character) can do with magic is actually pretty vague. Sure, some people are better at magic than others(or at least, better at a given specialty, but what someone can/can't do is not really well defined.

>When you come down to it, is it really all that different than anime/light novels about a "plain otaku loser" who inexplicably has every hot woman he runs into fall madly in love with him?
They're exactly the same, but since most of the criticism of YA that you see on Veeky Forums is coming from males who read manga, they will treat them differently.

So is YA fiction. They're made for each other.

Whilst like many internet cartoonists the original author probably has SJW tendencies, I think the criticism stands to reason. Why? Because end of the day you're appealing to a shallow-ass market of teenagers, most of whom are white or the products of Western anglosphere culture. And let's face it most people ain't fantasizing about a sexy Asian or black or Indian brown dude; theres some exceptions but a teenage chick is gonna want a white Calvin Klein model. And it's not like male-oriented YA fiction is free from this: Ginny Weasley is a redhead, Annabeth Chase is a stereotypical blonde bombshell, Betty and Veronica are white (or at least white-looking latina). And hey there's nothing wrong with that I'm not into black chicks but it is basically a fact: you will cater to your audiences desire.

As for OP I feel that it would be fun to have it be a story in a story: you're all fighting for "limelight", which is an expendable resource. Aside from that the guy r ecommnding calling PCs inserts etc are cool

Btw anyone read this delightfully iconoclastic YA series and think it would make a cool RPG?

Because he's a butthurt leftist who hates his own race?

Read the first one of the series. It was pretty good but I don't remember much except that the ministry was after something or someone wanted something from the ministry

Probably another emphasis of how ultimately similar the two love interest tend to be.

I read the trilogy as a young boy. I was quite taken with the setting, how magic worked in it and whatnot. There are several aspects of the story that'd make for neat RPG aspects. the wars, the political intrigue, demonology. I think it'd be a neat setting to play with.

Americans are obsessed with race and think that ones race is a significant, if not the most important, quality.

Alright, let's make it a fantasy setting.
>A long time ago, the empire of Prologuia was brought down by an evil immortal wizard
>The Prophecy of Prologuia foretold that a lone daughter of noble blood would forever smite all evil
>The Wizard tries to exterminate the entire royal family but fails to kill the king's baby daughter
>She's adopted by a young monk in some village in bumfuck nowhere
>Everybody hates her because of her purple eyes, which are a halmark of the royal family but one somebody nobody points out except to mock her
>The only one who understands her is her crush who's also a tall, muscular, traditionally handsome stud
>By the time she's 15, the immortal wizard's legions burn down her entire village (ironically setting the whole prophecy in motion whereas nothing would've happend if the immortal wizard just ignored her)
>Only the protagonist and her handsome love interest survive, the monk who raised her as if she were his own child can survive long enough to tell her that she's actually the rightful queen of Prologuia
>She and Stud go on a magical trip, along the way they discover a badboy Hedge Knight with a dark streak but a soft heart
>Love triangle, final confrontation blah blah blah
>MC marries Stud and they live happily ever after
>She's also the most magnificent queen ever despite having lived her entire life as a dirt farmer with zero understanding of politics

Also she's like 1/16th dragon, 1/64th fey and 1/4 French or something.

YA Dystopian protagonists are different from fanfiction Mary Sues. They aren't special because they are destined or half-dragon or their father was actually the King. They're just awesome, a genetic aberration - an ubermenschen from unlikely stock who overthrows their inferiors and creates a new world order. Mu-tants. You could make a YA novel about the early years of The Mule from the Foundation series.

Well, they are.

So, what are the obligatory expy sample settings gonna be? Not!Harry Potter, Not!Twilight, Not!Hunger Games, Not!Percy Jackson and the Olympians? Anything crucial we’re missing?

Eragon?

Needs a proper space sci-fi. Jupiter Ascending?

The main issue with this is that it depends upon a single Main Character, but we probably want a game where you have a group of people.

The mortal instruments

Does Fiasco have a playset for YA tropes?

This comic is forgetting the classic YA dystopian staple of an evil government who implements a policy that is just plain absurd, over the top evil and for some reason only ever involves pre-teens and teens. Some shit like "on everyone 13th birthday they put on a mood ring and if it ever turns purple they arrested and their organs are harvested". Double points if the policy is about "conformity" or has a hamfisted racism analogue without understanding how racism actually operates (though this is a problem in most sci-fi).

Also the world suffering an apocalypse caused by an adjective.

This turned out to be a neat thread

Risus, done

Kinda reminds me of Jade Empire.

Does the Monk turn out to be evil too?

>Also the world suffering an apocalypse caused by an adjective

An adjective?

What, user's explanation isn't descriptive enough?

Yeah, basically this. Very rarely are YA Heroines actual descendants of noble blood (though an important ancestor or relative is a common trope). They're generally just Plane Jane nobodies who fall into something bigger than themselves. Sometimes she obtains magical powers, but mostly she just quickly become physically competent.

If she does get powers, then it's because she came into contact with some artifact/person or because she was subjected to genetic modification.

Love Interest being a childhood friend of the Protagonist only happens if he's a dorky, awkward kind of dude. If he's a studly SoldierGuy then he's someone she meets after she starts her adventure. Most likely he's some kind of officer in whatever resistance movement she joins, and he reluctantly takes on the task of training her green ass. The romance develops when she inevitably beats him in a sparring match.

You know, jokes aside, trying to come up with those could be a fascinating literary exercise. Whether or not you want the end result to be *parodic* (which would require it to be a certain kind of "funny"), you are still looking to create a setting which would be UNMISTAKABLY recognizable as based on a particular work, yet not close enough as to be it with the serial numbers filed off (God forbid, it might actually have its own merit). Accomplishing that would require a somewhat in-depth analysis of each text to be imitated/lampooned, in order to isolate those elements which are most characteristic of it, and then figuring out ways to not replicate, but recreate them in a way that is original yet recognizable.

For example, let's say we want to make a Not!Harry Potter setting. Obviously, it's going to be about a wizarding school. But would any kind of wizarding school work? The idea itself isn't exactly rare in literature - what would make it obviously a "Harry Potter" thing? Would it still work if the wizarding school is, say, a college instead of a high school? Does it have to have four competing houses, each with an animal mascot? Does the setting have to prominently include a team sport played on brooms (would it change significantly if the brooms were changed for, say, flying carpets?)? Or are qualities of the cast what makes Harry Potter what it is? Does the main character have to have had some past brush with the forces of evil which left them with a distinctive bodily marking? Do they have to have a genius opposite sex friend and an annoying same sex hanger on? Does the Headmaster have to be a wacky yet wise Mr. Miyagi archetype?

etc.

I think at this level it'd be more efficient to just identify a number of (sub)genres and detail them. Maybe include a set of optional rules for each (if you want the game to be that serious), and if you really want to go the whole way, make a sample setting for each of them without having to draw from one single source. Off the top of my head, it seems like the YA novels we're dealing with here have a tendency to fall into one of the following genres:

Supernatural Romance (iconic works: Twilight, Blood and Chocolate, The Mortal Instruments): Stories dealing either with the relationships between human and humanoid (or human seeming) supernatural creatures, or with the relationships between said supernatural creatures as they pretend to be human. In any case, it's important that the main characters experience what is essentially a dramatic high school life, with the supernatural elements layered on top of it. The main characters may be simply humans, supernaturals, or turn into supernaturals towards the end. The romance is the core of the plot.

Teenage Superheroes (iconic works: Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Artemis Fowl): 12-18 year old kids receive/find out they have superpowers of some kind (or the equivalent, e.g. are suddenly given superspy training, as in the Alex Rider books). They are pulled away from their normal lives and are forced to participate in adventures representative of other genres (fantasy, spy fiction, science fiction, etc) with the YA element coming merely from the age of the main characters and the fact that they have a connection to modern day teen life through their past, making them identifiable. The adventure elements are the core of the drama. A prominent sub-subgenre focuses on their activities in a special school for kids with their kind of power, but the important thing is that the focus is still on their adventures, not just school life and teen romance.

cont.

Obviously an RPG doesn't lock in character dynamics. I'm of the mind any specificity should be avoided. Instead of making archetypes, boil it down to the shared core components of all.
>Teenagers
>Player characters have inherently different mechanics than NPC's
>Binary alignment system

Rebellion at Dystopia (iconic works: The Hunger Games, Divergent, the Maze Runner): Usually taking place in a post-apocalyptic future and depicting an absurd, oppressive society which is supposed to serve (usually not overly successfully) as commentary about some aspect of modern day existence, especially ones that teens care about (or think that they do). The teen main characters fight against the oppressive regime through the power of their individuality and nonconformity. Relationship drama is prominent but themes of rebellion and the struggle to bring down the corrupt society are at the core of the story.

"Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World" (iconic works: Animorphs, The Midnighters, the Kitty Norville books): A sort of distinctive hybrid
of the above genres, these feature superpowered kids who are able to go on adventures or are forced to fight some kind of evil force, but focuses on their struggle to maintain a normal life as they do so. Adventures and romance/drama elements are equally important. Interestingly, for whatever reason, thisseems to be the genre most prone to having teams of main characters of roughly equal power, rather than a more standard "main character plus support" arrangement.

can you be honest with me please I think i'm doing that but I'm not sure

>born poor to farmers
>explorered ruins with her brother
>joined a gang
>brother executed for going into ruins
>starts war against cops in his name
>wins war with archeotech
>off planet crime syndicate moves in
>kills her husband
>she can't win the war so she makes peace and gets an arranged marriage with the planetary governor
>she still runs most of the organized crime on the planet
>husband falls to chaos and plans on make her home a daemon world
>she poisons him and the entire upper class to be sure
>knows that the inquistions and the crime syndicate are going to fucking kill her for this so she sneaks off planet
>get stranded on a desert planet and captured by slavers
>gets rescued by a rogue trader
>she explains her situation and he hires her on the spot to be his seneschal

since the game has started she has
>tortured numerous people against her rogue traders wishes
>become a psyker by fucking around with alien shit
>joined the inquistion
>been mind wiped
>fought a demon prince to a stand still (with the entire crew actually helping)
>fell off a railing knocking herself out
>enters scenes by stepping out of shadows almost exclusively
>realized that killing alot of people about to do a chaos ritual is in fact a chaos ritual
>told her shipmates 3 different aliases

she's fun but I feel like I'm not being very creative. what does Veeky Forums think?

I think The Mortal Instruments overlaps with what you called "Wake up, go to school, save the world" more than Twilight or B&C.

Twilight does certainly turn into that with the later books though. Breaking Dawn is basically Buffy with weirder sex.

Yeah, and I play my characters as the typical stereotypes associated with that class done so straight and honest, it actually feels refreshing.

Farmboy turned fighter? You better believe he's going to be starry-eyed and kinda dumb.

You could boil that down into four different archetypes, even.
>The Romantic: A person motivated by little more than love and fueled by some diffuse "desirability" or "virtue". They're very weak compared to other characters and have few supernatural powers, but have higher social stats, more fate points and start gaining hefty experience as they level.
>The Experienced: A character who's been in it for a longer time than the others or was born as a supernatural creature or other kind of special caste/occupation. They have high skill scores and physical/practical stats as well as supernatural powers and access to weapons and special tools from chargen, but have extremely low fate points, lower social stats and a low willpower/grit stat (to reflect the fact that these people almost always snap halfway through and allow the "normal" characters to take up the reins).
>The Rebel: Motivated by being diffusely "different" than everyone else, these people have low social stats and average scores in other stats. They have the highest fate point equivalent score of anyone, though, and are unaffected by a large variety of social/mental powers straight out of chargen.
>The Prodigy: These characters handle a normal life and their cover job at the same time, and are generally balanced in most areas, being especially good at everyday skills. Their powers are relatively strong, but they have only average fate points and mainly specialize in crossing the border between human society and the supernatural repeatedly without breaking down or getting busted.

And if you want to tack on another one, you can go with one that crosses over with most of the others, but can be made into a separate splat.
>The Fated: These characters look like millstones. They have average fate points, low stats, no supernatural powers and a tendency to get everyone else into trouble by being kidnapped or fucking something up. When they run out of fate points, though, they're removed from play from half a session to a whole session (or just taken care of/searched for/captured as the villain's hostage), and after that become some sort of supernatural creature or expert from the experience. Not only that, but they can choose one of the following: negate one major weakness of their supernatural type, gain one major power not normally available to them, mix and match normal powers and decide what kind of special new supernatural creature they become, become an overnight master in a large number of restricted mundane skills or gain a huge clump of fate points.
Those should pretty much cover all general character archetypes in YA fantasy, and let's be honest all of them usually show up in one book.

Percy Jackson is just like that as well, which is why I suggested mortal instruments.

Yes. The first sign was when she was literally a gangland scum, who beat the cops with a magic weapon, then lost her family tragically, only to replace them. She is the lowest class possible, who married the planatery govenor, and then singlehandedly wiped out the entire upper class of a planet. She then evades the crime syndicate in charge of her world, and THE INQUISITION. Her backstory is 100% Mary Sue. Her in game actions, that just rogue trader. Hell, its tame by the standards of some of my characters.

Do we really need two sample settings for the same kind of story?

What’s the name of the FUDGE Shoujo supplement? HeartQuest? Wouldn’t that do more than fine?

>white dudes
>white

was this really fucking necessary?

That graphic demonstrates everything that is wrong with young adult novels.

Check the top right corner of the image.

Congratulations, you are writing a Powered by the Apocalypse game and you don't even know it.

>Lord of the Flies
The oldest people in this book are around 12-13 if im not wrong, most of the children are 10-12.