/edhg/ commander and edh general

chivalrous edition

Previously: (Cross-thread)

RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
what are some nonconventional tribes that you'd like wizards to put forth some support for? how would you want them to play and do other than just get big and smash face?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-commander-phenax-god-of-deception-50-or-7-tix
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yugo-shokan/
youtube.com/watch?v=eW1Pb9WXuUU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are ninjas nonconventional? We need more ninja tech.

i like ninjas, their tribal mechanic was a really good one

>what are some nonconventional tribes that you'd like wizards to put forth some support for?
Skeletons. I want to see regeneration tribal matter. Make skeletons spoopy again.

>Thread Question
Samurai

oh shit wrong thread.

So with pirate tribal being a focus in the newest sets do you think wizards would be cool enough to make pic related happen for a supplemental set and have a pirates vs ninja set with ixilan and kamigawa?

>what are some nonconventional tribes that you'd like wizards to put forth some support for? how would you want them to play and do other than just get big and smash face?
id nut for some good wall tribal

give me tech for pic related.
ive already got my 100 but its not at all set in stone.
ive got the 5 elliptic titans, ballista/displacer, draw x spells (that dont target cause misdirection and redirection spells are played at my meta)

whatd be sweet

I straight up told my “friend” who only plays combo decks I don’t have fun against with his “It’s turn 4, time to win!” Decks, and I will no longer be playing EDH with him. This guy went on and on about how “Pubstomping” and how terrible it is, yet he doesn’t do anything but play decks far above everybody else. I was just so sick of him that I’d rather play less Magic then play with him again.

Non Deathmantle + Mortarpod kills the table with him.

user i think the answer to your woes and his degeneracy is to be even more degenerate.
join the dark side.
play stax.

didnt know that, thanks
edhrec for him is awful

I've been playing Commander/EDH with some friends for a couple weeks now. I've been looking
up mill decks like: mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-commander-phenax-god-of-deception-50-or-7-tix

but the Eldrazi mono-brown(?) decks have also caught my eye. I'm starting to get the hang of the game, but are the Eldrazi cards anti-fun or something? I've seen mixed feelings and comments about them, and I don't want to be "that guy" who just tries to play the "lol, I hit 10 mana, you lose".

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you get infinite mana off that interaction too?

Can someone explain the madness rule to me?
I think I know what it means but the wording is a bit weird and I want to be sure.

I have been eyeballing Black Mike for like six months and have been planning how to make sure everything can get its -1/-1's from the get go. And then tonight whilr sitting on the toilet I finally realized that he gives +1 +1, not a counter. Hi, I love EDH and I am retarded.

Back to cunt

anything can be "anti-fun" if crybabies like exist, the best way to approach "anti-fun" is to consider it a challenge to try and overcome and win instead of giving up like a bitch

anyway, Eldrazi mono-brown is more boring and linear as fuck than "anti-fun", Karn is a more interesting commander where you have far greater deck building flexibility at the expense of getting reamed harder by mass artifact destruction
>I don't want to be "that guy" who just tries to play the "lol, I hit 10 mana, you lose"
yeah, give it a couple more weeks and you'll stop giving a shit about that, otherwise consider playing Standard instead

not who you're responding to, but you're an embarrassment to humanity if mentioning stax elicits that response

>/pol/

i think you need to stop browsing reddit little guy

Thinking of making a gimmicky as fuck deck using this commander. What are some artifacts or creatures would you recommend for this card to cage?

when you discard a card with madness it gets exiled and the madness trigger goes on the stack, during which you can choose to pay the cost to cast the card or not, then you put the card into your graveyard.
it can get a bit more complicated but thats all you need to know in practice

Are you only allowed to partner commanders that WotC printed with the partner ability? I wanted to run two monocolor guys to make a red black deck

only creatures with partner can partner

I don't really know how well they were received but as a casual, I absolutely loved the partner mechanics from last year, picked up every one printed.

I'm not too huge on eminence though. It kind of makes casting the commanders half redundant and feels like it breaks the spirit of the game a bit.

quicksilver elemental and demonic hordes along with an untap. Gilded lotus if you can afford it. Then just kill everyones lands, that's always my favorite combo to pull off with him.

Although maybe they're somewhat conventional, I would love to see more clerics in BW. Clerics haven't has decent support after what, Onslaught?

i dont think anyone in any of the many playgroups im in liked partner.
theyre just bland

Only big guys allowed

>decide to look at my MCM orders from the past year
>most of the cheapo cards have remained the same value
>some of the more expensive cards have been reprinted and have lost some value
>but most of them cards have doubled in value

what the fuck

even a goofy janky card like no mercy was 6 euros when i bought it early in 2017, and now it's 12 euros

other examples

>all is dust
>cabal coffers
>rise of the dark realms
>literally any dragon
>song of the dryads

i don't feel comfortable playing with so many expensive cards desu

>Regeneration
user, I hate to tell you, but regeneration is dead.

Added a Grindstone to my Nekuzar deck. is it overkill to run it with Sphinx's tutelage?

>Implying Reassembling Skeleton is bad

Maybe.

Reassembling skeleton is one of the best sac fodder creatures easily and probably the best skeleton, maybe challenged by Skittles only.
Still, it doesn't have regeneration and WotC stated that they kill regen from now on, replacing it with indestructible, since apparently regen was too complicated for dumb casuls.

Why? I would say that Tutelage would be better in this case, since Grindstone really doesn't do anything except rarely against monos.
I mean, 3 mana to activate and most of the time you're hitting at least 1 land, so it doesn't do much. If you want to mill, I would rather use Altar of the brood.

>nonconventional tribe
Myr already have a tap/untap focus from stuff like Battlesphere, Lodestone, Turbine, and Galvanizer. All we need is a legendary one. So many of my decks have started off myr tribal, barring commander and just drifted away from it as it got more honed. I know I'm just a decent legend away from making my favourite tribe work.

>apparently regen was too complicated for dumb casuls

I miss regeneration desu

>what are some nonconventional tribes that you'd like wizards to put forth some support for?

Hydras.

Meh.

I want to build a (not to expensive) Mono U Deck, maybe Building up on the Teferi PreCon.

Give me some good (and preferably not to expensive) Cards that Keep me from dying by making me an unattractive target or whatever.

Mechanically literally what did it accomplish better than indestructible? The only depth I could see to it is the super awful play of hitting their regenerate guy with a kill spell precombat so they are forced to tap it so it can't attack or block.

Indestructible until eot is just too similar to regeneration and it's more intuitive, I literally cannot think of why you would want to keep it.

>It's the owner - not it's controller - that chooses whether to send the commander to the command zone.
The key word here is "chooses". Mindslaver lets you make all decisions for the player you are controlling.

Reposting my Grusilda deck for advice. Very thankful for anything you guys can offer.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yugo-shokan/

Web of inertia

Better than Ixalan's UG legend

there are currently 9 cards in edh that are merfolk shamans.

I wish it was Bant

>mfw I use my sunbirds invocation and conspire my way to victory in wort
Why is storm so fucking fun?

Evens borborygmos enraged
Odds pissed omnath

aw yiss

If dubs you gotta play omnath

only negative is "your" graveyard, not A graveyard

but skullbriar gonna skullbriar

youtube.com/watch?v=eW1Pb9WXuUU

>3/3 each turn
My fucking dick
>In addition to Vona's Hunger
Mazirek grows stronger by the minute

Not bad in EDH .

A must-have for saproling tribal.

Yeah, probably won't need it though. He has some more janky infinite mana combos too:

Deayeye Navigator/Mistmeadow Witch + Gemstone Array.

Scrivener/Archaeomancer/Mnemonic Wall + Gemstone Array + Displace/Ghostly Flicker.

Eldrazi Displacer is better, but those are all janky fun.

>Keep taking apart Mazirek
>Want to rebuild hin every set
>Never build him right, always somehow have 1 or 2 reanimation by the end of the list

>tfw cant golgari

English version of the black Elder dino
You gotta hit a sweetspot of ramp, tokens, removal and protection for a Mazirek deck to work. It also depends on if your meta has twitchy triggerfingers

What are the odds on the red white flip enchantment being good.

>R/W
>Get anything good
Enjoy your anthem

zero.

If its as good as marshals anthem it would be appreciated, my nightmare is that its going to keep permenants from untapping

If it's red, new WOTC WILL make it suck. Those niggers hate red and blue.

>and blue
Bruh ... your head is half under a rock

Then how come so much blue hate is in modern? Preordain and ponder?

There is nothing wrong with storm.

Nowadays, he's right. Blue kinda sucks lately. The last good thing it got was what? Torrential Gearhulk?

>going back to dominaria

You just know there will be slivers

Ayli or Doran not enough for you?

TG mana cost was way too much, but then again I haven't played standard since Innistrad + Scars block. Maybe my standards are too high.

>what is Supreme Will
>what is Azcanta
>what is Champion of Wits

Blue and red have been top colors in Standard for almost a year.

Standard is low powered as all get-out. TG made a big splash. It's a decent card, but it's not amazing.

>you fight target creature
>stifling the etb in a lifegain deck
Holy shit

As Foretold, Pull From Eternity, and Azcanta don't seem too bad.

That said, NWO nuking commons plus a general "Reeeee Island is broken" attitude I feel have relegated blue to a support role; it doesn't really get strategies to call its own and increasingly suffers from being the color that "doesn't do creatures" in a game being ever pushed towards the world Legions showed us.

>here you go bro, it's yours now

>stifling the etb in a lifegain deck

>Playing Jeskai or Gay Kangz

There's a price for everything.

Torpor orb is law

I thought this was absurdly powerful when I first read it because I thought the health worked like form of the dragon.

This is much stranger and harder to evaluate. If some kind of r/w soul sister control deck becomes available in standard it could see play later on it's life cycle. I don't think anything will happen with it though as long as people are still playing hazoret though.

Oh shit that only works with opalesence, Im a fool

>Torpor orb
Won't do a damn thing about an enchantment's ETB unless you've already pre-prepared with Opalescence as well, which is really fucking janky.

retard

would you rather keep that shit card and have it kill you with it's forced upkeep trigger?

The only reason the card is good is because you can pay life to kill creatures, the donate combo is only good if you have lethal on a single fatboy and you need 1 more swing.

The forced upkeep trigger seems like it would be pretty fucking good in EDH if you didn't lose your life and got it for free, which is what happens when you donate jt. You can always hit a spellskite, token, or other small utility creature like a goblin welden or dork.

Do you think it takes your life to 15 every turn, or are you just terrible at evaluating free removal?

>opalesence + this + basilisk collar
The jank is too strong in my blood I want to have the 6/6 that kills things on upkeep and heals me.

>blocks your path

Alternatively, would hokori be an okay general for myr tribal? Myrs would break mana parity if I cast him, and most myr support cards, if any color, are white, rignt?

>The only reason the card is good
It isn't good, and the reason is because it's mandatory. Aggro doesn't want to fuck with 6 mana bullshit, control doesn't want to be denied stabilization by their own tool, and combo doesn't care one way or another.

Donating it is shit too, but I feel like that has more legs in the control mirror than just keeping the fucker does anywhere else.

Granted, that's for EDH. In 20-life formats, where set to 15 is likely to be a gain by 6 mana, it becomes a lot more viable as a way to let Midrange clear problematic blockers and push through the last points for lethal. Good enough? I still doubt it, but it could go.

i think im still retarded
so other creatures get +1/+1 but then also get +1/+1 counters when they die?

>paths your blocker
:^)

>green player holds mana until your upkeep
>casts all their buff spells on the one creature that's being targetted

congratulations, you played yourself

Hokori is one of the best monowhite commanders. Myr do love making mana (though you can't run the color myr other than gold in Hokori) and white making tokens (Myrsmith, Origin Spellbomb). Make sure you bring Hokori's full stax package out to play.

You could play sundial of the infinite, its a good card in red.

uh
ok

>Sundial on your upkeep

Any plan that involves skipping or virtually skipping your own turn should be carefully re-examined. Not necessarily discarded (especially where Stasis and Tef's Protection are involved), but probably.

I'd really like to see some stronger commons again. Rarity = powerlevel is one of the worst things they've been doing lately. Blue getting stuck as a support color and red being stuck as the fast, smashy aggro color is disappointing at best.

>not a legendary
FFS wizards