Why is there such a common need for adventurers' guilds in games instead of, you know...

Why is there such a common need for adventurers' guilds in games instead of, you know, an actual overarching plotline that the PCs make progress through?

Other urls found in this thread:

dictionary.com/browse/chamberlain
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Players are retards that miss plot hooks.

There isn't. It almost never actually happens, and it's just a small handle of nerds pushing the same meme because it's fun to trigger Veeky Forums.

There usually isn’t any need. I don’t think most of Veeky Forums uses them despite the annoying threads.

What are you even talking about?
I’ve been GMing and playing for seventeen years and I’ve never even once had to use or encountered an adventurer’s guild or an equivalent.
The closest we ever got was a local provincial camerlengo who paid off bounties and gave rewards and sometimes posted new ones.

Are you like a super new player or something?

>camerlengo
A what now?

A paymaster. Italian word I think.
The guy who’s job it was to hand out pay for work done by hired help for whoever the camerlengo worked for.

An adventurers guild or setting equivalent provides and easy (some would say lazy) way of structuring the activities of the player characters and explaining why things are as they are.
The presence of an adventurers guild does not imply that there is no overarching plot-line, it may play a significant role in the plot, or it may be incidental to it.
A story about the players trying to get promoted through the ranks of an adventures guild might sound phenomenally dull and unimaginative to you, but it is still a plot.

Also have there been a lot of shitty threads about adventures guilds designed to provoke arguments lately?

Because you’re a troll trying to trigger Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums is dumb enough to trigger.
Have fun with that buddy. Hope your new year is good and this moment and thread you made is memorable and worthwhile instead of the waste of time we are both fairly certain it is.

I like the idea of Adventure Guilds, because I like the idea that the PCs have a place to return to. Something that ties them together, and a convenient place to meet rerolled characters.

Never seen one in any game I've played in. Started playing about seven years ago

Because receptionists are begging for rape. They’re a great target for a gang bang.

>Common need
>Adventurer's guild
You are pushing your stupid meme to the point where it's not funny or even annoying anymore. It's just fucking boring.

I guess adventurers guilds is an easy way to create simple, believeable mission if you are having a hard time coming up with a main plot or how to advance it, sometime you don't even need a main plot, depending on the group Ofc and sometimes a main plot might develop based inspiration from some of the simple missions that the guild is offering. Is the group enjoying rustling with goblins/kobold/orcs, give them some more missions regarding that and if they are hooked, they will start looking for lore, information, rumors and so on and bam, you got a plotline.

>adventurers' guilds
>overarching plotline

These two things have approximately nothing to do with each other. It's like comparing apples to concrete.

>n actual overarching plotline that the PCs make progress through?
alternatively
you have an overarching plotline involving an adventurers guild

also, different strokes for different folks
if you want a new adventure with new stuff everyday like a TV show or film serial, then its fun to have the narrative equivalent of 22-minute time slots
not to mention some people dont want a long drama, they want to go out and explore, fight, and maybe talk
adventuters guilds are very conducive to this kind of narrative, as you have a sort of "get job, finish it, get paid" structure that the players will enjoy

I think an adventure guild can work great with a The West Marches style campaign.

>IMPLYING you can't have both

Because having players be in an organization whose main purpose is to provide mercenary work and destinations to explore helps to keep the campaign more focused while making sure that players are on a lease so they don't accidentally miss important plot hooks.

In short, it makes shit easier to keep track of for everyone involved.

A daring synthesis. Also, die in a fire, nigger.

>plotline
Chugga-chugga-chugga-chugga-CHOO-CHOOOOOO

>die in a fire, nigger

For liking adventure guilds, West Marches style campaigns, or both?

It does the exact opposite. West marches are supposed to be about the players taking the initiative to explore a strange new world. If you're restricting that exploration to guild sanctioned missions, why even call it west-marches?

Because the new crop of DMs haven't learned how to make a compelling plot hook yet, as they are still at the stage where they flirt with magical realms and heartbreaker homebrews

Jesus Christ I'd hate to live there. One misstep at those heights...

Because players can share information with the adventure guild and help keep things organize.

This and are usually murderhobos.

>A new and unexplored land has been discovered!
>The guild has tasked a number of adventurer groups to explore and map out the new land, your party included.
>They don't know dick about this place, so they obviously can't put any jobs on the job board.
>As exploration of this area proceeds, so too does the guild's information about it.
>They offer payment for maps, historical records, notes on local flora and fauna, and any information about strange magical phenomena.
>They obviously need help establishing supply lines to help maintain base camps near ruins, caves, magical forests, and other potential adventure sites.
>Obviously, dungeons themselves are first come, first served.
>Making (peaceful?) contact with any native populaces is obviously a must.
>And so much more

Honestly, adventurers' guilds are perfect for West Marches games, not in terms of being given missions, but just in terms of how much a logistical clusterfuck setting up shop in a new location is. Any kind of exploring the PCs might decide to do can have potential benefits to a guild so long as they're not too retarded to bring back evidence and information.

That what I been saying. There got to be a business for organizing what adventurers been finding and what they need.

Do we really need 3 threads for this?

Why do you need this over an actual plotline?

Making the plot is the players' job. Whatever they care about most is the core of the plot.

a chamberlain?

dictionary.com/browse/chamberlain

There's more than one kind of campaign.

If my main plotline is to fuck the lady who runs the adventure guild, then hell yeah.