Weekend Warcraft Lore General

New Year's Resolutions Edition

Discuss the lore and story of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Document compendium: Contains official (ex-canon) DnD 3.x variants and a fan made DnD 5e version! Also the official Warcraft Chronicles volumes 1 and 2.
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBM3V0Sm5NTlBITlk

Previous thread
(Cross-thread)

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/aco/1513372435184.png
wowhead.com/achievement=610/orgrimmar-offensive
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The only fallout would be the ash from Blizzard's headquarters being burned by every sensible person who despises that rotting cunt.

No. The fallout would be a bunch of posts like that.

>Sylvanas, queen bitch of Azeroth and suspected Lich Queen, gets REDEEMED.COM
>Now never has to answer for her crimes
The Dead Sea wishes it could be as salty as the day that happens.

>Sylvanas NOT getting redeemed in the era of strong female characters™
>forgetting the powerful womyn of warcraft panel at blizzcon with her
The people yelling for her death are just not reading the writing on the wall at this point. As a Horde player, I just hope she steps down from Warchief eventually since I know she's immortal.

It'd be amazing.

Seriously, though, how could Sylvanas be redeemed as a character and viable faction leader at this point? Without being an asspull. I mean, it'll definitely be an asspull if Blizzard does it, but could it be done in a way that actually works?

>but could it be done in a way that actually works?
Not in a way that will satisfy anyone but the 13-year old spergs who masturbate to her already.

It all depends on how she treats her dissidents. We're at the point where members of the Forsaken are now openly questioning her, and we know it's driving her up the wall. This will be her watershed moment.

I don't see how it's possible without a massive asspull like her being influenced by old gods ever since she decided to jump on a giant saronite spike.

Or she learns the visions of hell she saw following said spike were an illusion by them to manipulate her and realizes all the horrible shit she did in an attempt to keep herself away from it were all unnecessary and tries to atone, which would be less of an asspull. But even then it doesn't erase the shit she did, and it was still for a selfish motivation, so...

>redeeming Sylvanas

i.4cdn.org/aco/1513372435184.png

I mean if she y'know stayed dead for the sacrifice that'd be fine.

Otherwise fuck that shit.

It's a wonder how Sylvanas hasn't murdered the PC yet for some contrived reason. Then again, during the Silverpine campaign in Cataclysm, she confides that the PC is the only person she can truly trust.

Pretty sure the only "strong woman" in Warcraft that gets any sort of attention is Liadrin

The rest are either stupid, like Tyrande, or broken, like Sylvanas and Jaina

Gian surge of light to the face, wiping her memories of anything from the spike onwards

Then shock and horror as she realises what she's done, and a desperate struggle to fix her own disaster

Or that one member of the Night Watch who doesn't turn traitor because fans bitched that she did during the Legion beta when it goes completely against her character.

Man, I am still angry about Darkshire and the Night Watch.

How would an Alliance occupation of Orgrimmar have gone in the wake of Garrosh's and the rest of the Horde Leadership being killed under Orgrimmar by Horde infighting and Alliance Forces?

A logistics nightmare if the night elves aren't doing a lot of the heavy lifting. Durotar is still a wasteland, meaning Orgrimmar is a pain in the neck to maintain.

Jaina would have worked out a solution to insure the horde races would never be a threat again.
A FINAL solution, if you will.

How would everything have gone if Blizzard somehow avoided catching mass-retardation and realized that going full RvB in Cataclysm was a fucking awful idea?

The game would still be slowly going downhill due to certain design decisions mechanically, like making questing far more themepark-ish or homogenizing raid mechanics, but that on its own would be a lot less noticeable. I just wish they'd stop hiring idiots to do class design.

shits like this makes me wonder, when this faction bullshit started?

Mostly in Cataclysm

There was always RvB, but prior to Cataclysm the writers never let it take center stage, because they understood that the main appeal of WoW was raiding

the entire fanboy-ism of it, mainly from horde players.

because i cant believe that this all started due to metzen trying to pull out a van-hallen during War3 TFT credits.

Naaru therapy

It's a server-by-server thing. I've played on a couple where the Alliance was far worse than the Horde, and vice versa. It just depends where you're at.

>Liadrin
>"strong woman"
She denounced her religion that she dedicated her entire life to as soon as something went not as she planned, and then denounced the denunciation when Velen pulled his magic trick in front of her. She's just a spoilt, weak-willed strumpet like other belf women. That Blizzard is trying to sell her as a huge hero of the Horde is nothing but waifufag pandering, same as with Sylvanas.

I like her. Her reaction to the Naaru's re-ignition of the Sunwell was pretty genuine and she's been a serious crusader ever since.

She followed the path of her liege right up until she saw that he was a traitor to their people

It's all a matter of how you look at it

Either way, she's definitely better than all the other prominent female characters, so really, we should probably take what we can get

Liadrin is elf jaina, Lost her innocence and became a crusading bitch.

Jaina had her life and beliefs fucked by Kosak and Golden, in fact, jaina's characterization nowadays belongs more to an Elder Scrolls game series as a imperial Officer/Stormcloak from post Great War rather than something out of warcraft.

Ironically though, Serana's Story in Skyrim is pretty much hers during the 1st siege of Theramore, though harkon was a sickfuck who wanted to deliver Nirn to Molag Bal again due to an Elder Scroll

Has Moira done a single thing since she showed up to help in Siege of Orgrimmar? She's a pretty cool character, but she's certainly not prominent (in fact, no dwarves really are besides occasionally one of the Bronze Bros.). Hopefully she gets to do a lot more in BfA, what with the Dark Irons being added.

I'm not sure if I'd ever call anyone based off the last empress dowager of China a "cool character"

chilling aroung the Priest order hall, not being a bitch, had a character development about how she feels bad about what happened to her relationship with her father, with magni forgiving her in comic and believing that she will be a great leader.

and now hopes to Reunite the Dark irons once again into one clan, mainly because of cataclym's events and half of the clan joining end then being betrayed by the Twilight's hammer cult,

she is pretty much Modimus 2.0 in training

She's got points by association with the Dark Iron. Her original gimmick was also pretty fun in Vanilla, where she was kind of a surprise boss fight when you were "rescuing" her. Blizzard having her become the leader of the Dark Irons from the whole affair of her marriage and Thaurissian dying was actually pretty clever, if a bit retcon-y. There's nothing wrong with the concept of an empress dowager in story writing. It's actually a somewhat unique way to present a race with a monarchy, and it's certainly a nice way to have a group that were one of the primary antagonist groups of the first expansion start moving towards allies.

Moira's not exactly a phenomenal character but in WoW you have to take what you can get.

That sounds pretty alright, altogether. I'm glad they haven't forgotten about her, at least. Dwarves have generally been treated pretty well (if you don't mind Titan stuff/find it cool, at least), even if they sometimes fall to the wayside.

If Liadrin isn't likeable, then who even is? Please don't say Baine, he's a bland cardboard cutout.

She is based on Cixi? I've never heard this, how so?

You'd rethink your entire view on life if your reason for existing was restarted right in front of your eyes. Liadrin had never tasted euphoria like feeling the power of the Sunwell again for the first time in a long time.

Hey, don't sell Baine short. He's got a good head on his shoulders, and he had the gigantic balls to serve as Garrosh Hellscream's defense attorney with a straight face.

What's with the hammer? Looks special and not very Tauren-y

>dat kneepad
MURRICUUH

You're right; it's not.
>Fearbreaker is a mace that was given to Prince Anduin Wrynn of Stormwind by King Magni Bronzebeard of Ironforge during the prince's visit to that city. However, Anduin would eventually give the weapon as a gift to Baine Bloodhoof to assist him in reclaiming Thunder Bluff from Magatha Grimtotem, but it was returned to Jaina from Baine before the fall of Theramore, as Baine did not feel worthy enough to wield it.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORICA

and now he got it again....

FUCKING BLIZZ

>Tauren chieftain wielding a Bronzebeard heirloom gifted to him by the prince of Stormwind
Ain't that something?

Maybe Baine and Anduin will end RvB forever!

When did they hang out? Was it in Panda? I keep seeing references to the two being friends but never saw signs in game.

Vol'jin and Baine were always the most reasonable Horde leaders. Lor'thermar, too, but he's more interested in the blood elves in particular.

>man, isn't [opposite faction] obnoxious? I'm sure glad that I belong to [my faction] where we're coolheaded and objective at all times
t. every faction shitter ever

Personally I've always imagined that the Horde ambassador to Stormwind is a tauren, primarily because no one in the Alliance holds particular ill-will towards tauren

Similarly, the Alliance ambassador in Orgrimmar is a gnome, for the same reason

This is not how you spell Lor'themar and Saurfang

>for the same reason
Goblins.

Baine gave it back tough.

Goblin and gnomish rivalry is just that, rivalry, not bloodthirsty hatred

A goblin would rather prove a gnome wrong than kill him

It's almost definitely a forsaken or a belf because they know the ins and outs of the Alliance political system. The racist backlash would be super strong, though.

>Saurfang
Is he the orc leader now?

An ambassador must be a face first and foremost

Of course there's a forsaken in the background making sure he says all the right things and knows how to handle Alliance politics.

Is this why Mekkatorque ordered to loot all the goblin tech during SoO? I can't imagine the goblins were very happy about that.
>A goblin would rather prove a gnome wrong than kill him
No matter what's the conflict, a goblin would always rather kill the opposition by blowing it to smithereens.

You have better suggestions?

No, I like him, he should probably be Warchief.

Yes, Varok Saurfang is the orc racial leader, just not the Warchief.

yep
>wowhead.com/achievement=610/orgrimmar-offensive

and killing him is a bitch because he bladestorms and cleaves everyone on the same room in 2 seconds, and he has no agro

>killing him
Why would you want to do this?

"My father once told me the world was gonna roll me, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed" -Jaina Proudmoore

Do you need a reason to kill an orc?

>were an illusion
She actually fucking died there. The Val'kyr can attest to that. In that case, what's the difference between an "illusion of eternal damnation" because her soul is in the clutches of the Old Gods, and actual eternal damnation because her soul is in the clutches of the Old Gods.

Old Gods also like to go on about how they fucking eat souls. Ever think they might actually eat and torment souls, and actually run a very real WoW hell to feed off the suffering of the damned? That might even be the mechanism behind how Old Gods regenerate, and insist they're only sleeping.

They just eat all the souls delivered to their "sleeping" city of Ny'alotha.

and we pretty much delivered Good arthas to them thanks to Shadowmourne, though he would be probably be tortured til now

I'd actually like to see a short story with that. A Forsaken drilling a Tauren on Alliance customs and etiquette. Hygiene habits too. Just everything he or she needs to do to impress even the highest of nobles, while they remain in the background.

I'm not a genocidal human, so yes?

Well, there's the thing. Xal'atath makes an odd comment about how close Helya is to the truth in Helheim.
>Xal'atath whispers: Helya and her cult are strong here. So close to the truth, yet so far.
My theory is that Helya has basically unconsciously ripped off a scheme the Old Gods have already been playing. They've probably been grabbing a ton of souls for their underseas Shadlowlands wonderland.

Azshara is a minion of the Old Gods?

since like 20 minutes after the Sundering

She made a deal with them, but I doubt if her ego would ever let her be an actual servant of anything. This is the lady who saw herself as an equal to Sargeras, after all.

Not that it matters, seeing as how she's gonna be an early expac loot pinata.

>This is the lady who saw herself as an equal to Sargeras, after all.
And now she's probably getting fucked by her new husband, the giant squid monster who altered her biology to make them more compatible.

Thanks. I know the vague outline of the Sundering but not the specifics, I forget that the Old Gods ideas well predate WoW.

Knowing Blizzard, you're probably right. Which is a shame, 'cause it was implied that she really DID have the power to not get shitstomped by Sargeras. Even Archimonde was a little wary of her.

Actually, I'm not sure the Old Gods were part of the naga lore to begin with. IIRC, in their original fluff they just did some unspecified, uncertain ritual that transformed them into what they are now.

>Even Archimonde was a little wary of her.
Nah. Mannoroth was weary of her, because he realized she might actually be comparable to Archimonde. Sargeras would have been able to shitstomp literally everyone.

Ah, right. It's been a while. Still, being on par with Archimonde is definitely not shabby, at least before WoD/Legion turned all the high-ranking demons into jokes.

So... what horrible things has Sylvaanas done? I mean, she raised some enemy combatants and used chemical warfare against a hostile force. Doesnt seem that horrible to me. Just your normal war atrocities.

At least with the chemicals it can be argued that the Worgen aggressed first, even if it was the feral and not the Gilnean ones: how would she know?

Alliance are just eternally BTFO that they tried to invade Lordaeron in Cata after Gilneas and got promptly kicked out by the Forsaken. Ever since they have just been moaning on the forums demanding "consequences" - as if the Horde is going to care about humans killed in war. Sometimes you get some Garroboo's whining on about Sylvanas and the Forsaken, Baineposter's too (usually piping on about him being really cool in the books and making a great Warchief). Can't forget the generic Blood Elf Paladin posters either (these types of posters are usually pseudo Allyfags).

Well, of course. Azshara isn't shabby at all. She's probably a more valued ally of N'zoth's than Deathwing ever was.

I can't tell if you're joking or an idiot

Blood Elves are disgusting traitors who betrayed the brave Alliance soldiers who wanted to massacre them by refusing the order to be massacred

I can tell you're just a retard.

this but unironically

Garrosh never acted like anything other than a mindlessly violent brat. Only people who want endless RvB shit support his behavior. There is zero way a Garrosh Horde would have ever found peace with the Alliance.

I'd be a little salty too, if the reason my invasion got foiled was that some rando nearby goblin "just happened" to have goddamn POCKET NUKES. They pulled some shit out of their asses to give the Horde wins in Cata, but that one seriously took the cake.

I've got a theory that Blizzard knows they hand out wins for retarded reasons but they refuse to give them out on merit of tactical acumen because that would give the victorious faction in question a notch on their belt and would give them ammo to declare themselves the superior faction. This is why most of the Horde's wins in Cata still offer an out for the Alliance.

>Oh they used chemical weapons!
>Oh they used deus ex machina bombs!
>Oh they assassinated the general dishonorably!
>Oh they used a mana bomb!

I imagine if the tide ever does turn, expect the Alliance to be pulling a lot of wins out of the writers' collective asses so the Horde can bitch. Or maybe they're just that incompetent.

"Horde wins but Alliance is right"

Pretty much. Notice that in Mists the big Alliance win is the Purge of Dalaran, which really isn't a good look for them unless you're a diehard partisan faggot.

The purge of Dalaran is a perfect example of "Horde wins, Alliance is right"

See, by standard, it looks like the Alliance wins, but the Horde is right, but they couldn't allow that, so they had Aethas and the Sunreavers turn traitor to Dalaran, help Garrosh take the divine bell. This way, Garrosh gets the divine bell, hence the Horde "wins" despite being kicked out of Dalaran, and Jaina booting all the Sunreavers out of Dalaran is now "right"

Does Horde ever win? Was Stormwind ever besieged by the Horde? Was Ironforge? Don't think so. If you think "not getting your faction destroyed" somehow should count as a victory at something, you're a retarded allyfag.

Fair point, actually. Horde doesn't really even get that win because all Garrosh does with it is kill his left-hand man and then fail to kill Anduin because plot bullshit.

So, what horrible things has Sylvaanas done?

She does keep human meat farms for her abominations.

Off the top of my head, she also plagued Southshore to nothingness, resurrected a member of the Trollbane nobility and pressed him into service, and then stole their family sword out of the crypts. So no sympathy points there.

Besides that, raising people into undeath might actually be one of the most morally corrupt things you can do to secure your own power, as there's implications undead get sent to Super Hell once they're put back in the ground again. So she's basically damning a bunch of people's souls for eternity because she knows what's coming to her.

Moira is womyn stronk incarnate and is a clan traitor who had a baby with her captor and kidnapper.

How would you represent the humans in the troll wars? Full plate warriors don't really fit

an army of Conan's

Did you ever let your autism reach such high levels that you wrote your own fanfiction for Warcraft?

I know I have, when I was a teenager.

>Old Gods eat souls
Do you know what else canonically eats souls? Naaru.