/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
Do you or your DM allow evil races as PCs?

Other urls found in this thread:

rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/Rulebooks/Supplements/Xanathar's Lost Notes to Everything Else.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Do you or your DM allow evil races as PCs?
One of my players is a massive fucking elfaboo who won't shut up about Drow so we let him play a Drow with no sunlight sensitivity to shut him up, if that's what you mean.

How would you guys make this room more disgusting?
I was thinking of putting some treasure golems in a corner or two

I don't really have "evil" races in my games outside of a few exceptions. I think it's boring for players to assume every drow/orc/kobold is evil. If someone wants to play a goblin artificer or whatever I want to encourage that.

You should've removed his Drow magic

If its really absurd I ask them to at least come up with a cool backstory and a vague reason why he's not evil, and if i like it I'll try to integrate that race into the setting with a few towns and shit

I just had a player make a Slaad character recently and its pretty cool, we just had to tone down some of the Slaad powers until he's a little higher level

If you can justify it sure, I had a player play a Lizardfolk I told him if he could get his Wisdom to an adequate state he could avoid the evil/feral part (Some Lizardfolk in the MM are Chaotic Neutral with above average wisdom scores). So he did and I allowed it.

>Race
>Evil
ITS FUCKING 2018 user

Hey, Mithril and Adamantine are pretty boring right now, even with Xanathars. Do any of you run alternate rules to make them more interesting?

Adantine Weapons that deal double damage to objects and structures.

Mithril armor that can be donned or doffed as an action.

>ITS FUCKING 2018 user
This changes nothing tho

I love adamantine armor. My DM rolls at least 3 nat 20s per combat.

B-B-B-BBBUT
TWENTENY
EEEIGHTTTTRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!1111

Srsly tho, I don't mind when PCs pick strange races because it's usually a good excuse to either bust their balls or hook them with a shady NPC. By contrast, straight laced lawful stupid is pretty boring without a lot of work.

What's the best class to make a ranged heroe with longbow? What are the best traits and weapons for it? I've heard that the ranger is worse than a fighter with a bow??

Is there any way to play a Tabaxi without it devolving into cringe inducing degeneracy? I like the idea of them, I just hate all the associated animooness of it all.

In general, no, I do not. But it really depends on the setting. If the race makes sense for the setting I am running I would allow it. But so far, it really hasn't.

Actually, now that I think about it, I did allow a guy to run a Drow a good while back. But that was a solo game, so the entire campaign revolved around him.

UA when

>But that was a solo game, so the entire campaign revolved around him.
How's that work anyways? I have a friend who kind of wants to try D&D (total newb to pen and paper) and they asked about having a short solo game before trying anything in a group. I understand them wanting to learn a little before playing with others, but I also feel like D&D solo would just be boring AF

Still, its not often that PCs ever need to attack objects, and if they do, they can usually just hit it multiple times. And, while the Mithril thing is kinda useful, its not that great.

Adamantine is supposed to be this ultra sharp, unbreakable metal, and mithril is ultra light and similarly tough. The FR Dwarves do basically anything to get their hands on it.

Plus, do Mithril weapons even do anything? The only of these that is truely useful is Adamantine Armor negating Crits

If you just want a straight archer who's really good at shooting stuff with a bow fighter is the best. Rangers have some features that make them better for tracking/hunting that sort of thing. In terms of sheer martial ability fighter is still the best though. Just pick a fighter subclass of your choice and get the sharpshooter feat at some point.

Next month

UA on the second Monday unless they cancel it again.

Why is the fighter better? Because it can attack more than once?

That and all the ASIs for feats

Rogue. You get all the extra ASI's of a Fighter, plus maneuverability skills and sneak attack.

>That and all the ASIs for feats
ASIs? I wonder if Arcane archer is a good archetype but it kinda doesnt suit the guy i imagine - a medieval english longbowmen

Have you tried making a fun and interesting character and giving him a longbow?
Or you know, reading the fucking book and seeing what fucking abilities can be used with a longbow?

Ability Score Improvements. And, Just Champion would be fairly decent honestly.

Rouge is shit for a dedicated archer. One attack, plus its not as easy to get advantage with a bow

>Staff of the Mind's Eye
Staff, Rare (Requires attunement by a spellcaster)

This reinforced steel staff has a strange pink aura around it. While attuned to this staff you gain the madness trait "I swear I hear the final thoughts of all creatures I kill with a psychic spell."

The staff has 10 charges. While you wield this staff, whenever you cast a spell and the spell deals acid, cold, fire, lightning, poison, force, radiant, necrotic, or thunder damage, you can expend 1 charge to substitute that damage type for psychic damage. Also, spells you cast ignore resistances to psychic damage. The staff regains 1d6+4 charges at noon.

So I'm thinking about adding psychic to the damage list for the Rare items and adding a staff that can also change the elemental types to psychic. I'm struggling though to figure out how you would change the flavor for a spell that does psychic damage.

>Psychic Fireball?
>Fire based Phantasmal Force?
>Cold based Dissonant Whispers?
>Fire based Vicious Mockery?

The easiest thing I can think of is Shadow Blade becoming a different elemental blade type. Any ideas for the ones above?

The Ranger mixes in magic and the management of spells and slots, clumsily, with its combat strategy. Tends to have more options for handling aoe than a fighter build, and less straight up attacking power, compared to battle master.
The archetype is good, curving shot goes well with longbow and sharpshooter, but is more magical or wacky than the battle master.
Rogue is good too, feeling more like a sniper, but doesn't have the nova of action surge or area burst of a ranger. A specialized character, but in a different area than battle usually.

>a medieval english longbowmen
Go Fighter, Ranger is too magical

For archetype, Champion, Battlemaster or Samurai are alll good and mundane

>Champion archer
You might as well mention purple dragon knight too. Not really playing to the subclass's strengths with a bow.

Can an archer use the manuers with the longbow?

Will Lockwood ever stop drawing Drizzt?

If you're not even going to read the basic fucking rules then you can fuck right off.

PDK is even worse than Champion and gives no offensive abilities

I forgot it existed at all

In our next game, the DM is having us do 4d6 drop one in order for stats - but we have permission to swap any two of them.
I got 15 9 11 16 15 10. I was thinking of swapping the 16 into DEX and going for a heavy crossbow war cleric, maybe as a Wood Elf. Any thoughts on a good character I could make out of this? (other than a straight wizard, duh)

Daggers can still use STR in melee, right?

And at range, yes.

Standard Human Eldritch Knight

Alright, cool. The STR Ranger in my group loaded up on a bunch of daggers and I didn't want to have to tell him they're next to useless for him.

Daggers are never useless.

Keep DEX as it is, swap INT and WIS, play a Knowledge Cleric. Pick up heavy armor through a feat.

Would champion be better if it also did this alongside the increased critical rate?

>"Weapons that lack the heavy property gain the finessable property."

You could also add in that light weapons gain the thrown property. Champion's can become weapons experts in a way.

This, I always have at least 2 of them. They're like rope, you just can't go wrong.

Like said, yes. In case you're unclear on such things in the future, here's how it works:
>Is it listed under Melee weapons?
You use STR for attack and damage, whether making a melee attack or throwing the weapon.
>Is it listed under Ranged weapons?
You use DEX for attack and damage, and you can't make melee attacks with it.
>Does it have the Finesse property?
Then you can use STR or DEX for attack and damage with it, whether it's ranged or melee. Note this allows you to use your STR to attack and damage with Darts.

>Rouge is shit for a dedicated archer. One attack, plus its not as easy to get advantage with a bow
Wrong.

So long as they can work with the party. That might necessitate a deviation from the common behaviors of their race, which may warrant an explanation from the player I would be grateful to receive if they can supply it, but I will not force it out of them, since I would be trying to get blood from a stone.

>it's not as easy to get advantage with a bow
Who cares when you just shoot things that your allies are engaging, like always?

No, because that also isn't taking advantage of the Champion's abilities. You could give them an extra benefit from critical hits, or a special circumstance that gives them advantage. I'd like to give them 1d6 per round they can spend to boost damage, then later ability checks, saving throws, or attack rolls, like a small inspiration die or hero point. It doesn't take anything fancy to bridge any gap with battle master.

>Rouge is shit for a dedicated archer. One attack, plus its not as easy to get advantage with a bow
Advantage depends on how much your DM likes to let you hide as a bonus, but yeah, they don't make good archers. Mainly because they depend so much on sneak attack that SS isn't really an option for them

Inquisitive gets at unlimited at will sneak attacks so long as their insight beats the targets deception.

One way I've considered making Champion better is by using the variant rule Lingering Injuries from the DMG. Another way of doing it is to allow the Champion on a critical hit to inflict one of the rider effects from the Battlemaster's maneuvers.

>it doesn't take anything fancy to bridge any gap with battle master
Don't the numbers show that Champion outdamages Battlemaster? Not that it's an interesting subclass to play, but..

Allies can give cover to enemies

>Battlemasters get what is effectively a crit when they activate a maneuver
>Champions get a maneuver when they activate a crit
pottery

Depends on the level, build, and circumstance. Level 20 half orc GWM with advantage, yes. Level 5 human sharpshooter, no. Human sharpshooter pretty much never, actually.

Cover has nothing to do with advantage or being able to sneak attack. And if you're that much of a pussy about it, use that movement speed or Cunning Action dash to get to a not-cover angle. Or if you're even more of a pussy about it, go into melee and stab in on that turn. Not like your hands are full.

>Human sharpshooter pretty much never, actually.
So human sharpshooter battlemaster always outdamages?

Best/most fun multiclass options to combo with Battlemaster Fighter? I like the manuevers but it seems like it would still be a bit on the simple side, especially now that I've gotten a taste for spellcasting, it's hard to go back.

You could stop being a faggot whose ideas are based on Internet memes.

>Is there any way to play a Tabaxi without it devolving into cringe inducing degeneracy?
No. It's a furfag race.

Put the beast in beastfolk. You aren't just a fuzzy human, you are a tribal, primal beast. That's the closest you can get to escaping furfaggotry with it

Has anyone had any experience with the Runeguard from Xanthar's Lost Notes to Everything Else? I'm about to start a new campaign and it looks like an interesting choice.

>homebrew
No

Is dex barbarian viable? We use flanking so reckless attack isn't going to be that useful

are there any rules for a character getting/being drunk? The party tends to drink a bit and I want to represent that a bit

Poisoned condition

Cool opinion - thanks.

Lacking a reliable source of advantage for ranged attacks, the crit bonus damage per round is 4d8(18) or 5d6(17.5) at level 20. The bonus crit chance is 10%. Using the higher base damage hand crossbow option, that's 1.75 average damage bonus per round. Using effect maneuvers instead of just precision, the battle master has at least 39 average damage bonus per short rest. As far as damage is concerned, it takes at least [39/1.75] 22.25 rounds of combat per rest for the champion to outdamage the battle master. The BM is using maneuvers with extra effects here, like pushing, frightening, goading, or maneuvering allies. The champion still benefits from (probably) +1 AC and survivor's low health regen.

An archer doesn't take advantage of what the champion offers without some extra benefit from crits.

Seems like it might be viable defensive build. Do you have something in particular in mind?

Have you considered rogue multiclass?

Was considering storm barb 5 or 6, then the rest in scout rogue. Elf or Half-Elf and picking up elven accuracy.
Bear would probably be better, but I'm tired of bear

>>Rouge is shit for a dedicated archer. One attack, plus its not as easy to get advantage with a bow

Why you think so?

I need a map to run a heist with. Something with a lot of tunnels, secret doors, and chances for traps and security. Anyone have a map they could drop to help me out?

For those who don't know what he is talking about....

rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/Rulebooks/Supplements/Xanathar's Lost Notes to Everything Else.pdf

I think it looks interesting, but it seems quite complicated though for what 5e normally has going for it.

it's a bad homebrew like everything else in that dogshit pdf

If you're going for a ranged character anyways you might as well just swap Dex and Strength.

That constitution score is really, really sad too. You might consider swapping Int and Con or wis and Con and playing some kind of martial based off that.

Purely opinion based question here - I'm going to start a warrior in my friend's new campaign.

What's the most fun variant of warrior out there?

What kind of fighter do you want?

Hexblade

>xanathar's lost notes
the fuck is this

I'm not 100% - the last time I played 5e I played a Warlock. I know this is a relatively new group (to roleplaying in general).

I'm thinking an urbanized half-orc, other than that not sure? I got roped into this thing fairly last minute so I haven't thought a ton about the character.

Well, one thought I had was to swap the 16 into DEX and then go Hill Dwarf; that raises the CON to 13 and gets hit points like it was a 15. A 16 in Dex and Wis is a solid place to be as a ranged cleric anyway.

Homebrew garbage someone's trying to get e-famous for

A typo-ridden, poorly balanced homebrew pack that seems to think there is such a thing as a "Move action" in 5e. Somehow they got some sort of seal of approval as "DM adepts"

Sure, that works. But why not just swap your Int (if you're going cleric) into constitution and use a melee weapon? I think Divine Strike only works with melee weapons too anyways, right?

I've been searching in 5e tools for a background for my character but some of the backgrounds are without bonds and flaws why is that? Also are there other backgrounds somewhere?

>DM wants to run the next game starting at level 1
>Wants to half XP gain from everything

Unrelated, the Fey sorc seems neat. It's pretty similar to Divine Soul, but druid instead of cleric.

Stop multiclassing and just play battlemaster

Tell him you'd rather sit that one out then.

You've already got three red flags right off the bat, why the fuck would you play in that game

No.

The party's pretty melee-heavy already; I think we've got a melee valor bard and a fighter, and war cleric is about the only excuse I can think of to ever use a heavy crossbow, so I was interested in going for it. The alternative idea was Arcana cleric. Sit back and just pew pew all day.

Divine Strike works with all weapon attacks, btw.

Whats wrong about starting at level 1?

So he wants a game that's more slow progression and story driven as underdog players.

Talk to him about it faggot. Tell him you'd at least like to reach level 3 in good time.

Most of the SCAG backgrounds just tell you to use a particular PHB background for the bonds/flaws/etc. For example, City Watch is really just a variant on PHB's Soldier.

put in a statue of a knight with a sword that turns into a floating sword and the living suit but make it friendly if activated without getting attacked or someone trying to wield either parts

I typically have players reach level 3 and then slow things down, then again at 5, and again at 8.

Also, fuck XP, level players at cool moments so they feel like they accomplished something

what's right about it? you don't have a subclass and you're weak as shit