/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
Clan Ghost Bear, where their teddy bears hug back, Edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-12-28 - Still getting worked on & now has 21476 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2017-11-30!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=at9hxU864Fg
hackslashmaster.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Shadowrun
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Purple Bird representing

The other factions would benefit of having the Purple birb treatement like in the jihad. More "provincial" flavour.

Balkanization now!

How many Chuncks would you guys divide the Suns? I have the Cappie/Draconic march, the outbacks/malgrotta, what more?

>Purple birb treatement
yeah

>like in the jihad
no, that was CGL having to polish a turd thanks to WK

If you could go back and rewrite the clans' fluff, what would you change?

All the Clans invade at once. There are fewer Clans.

Enough so that they can't support each other and are absorbed in detail by the Capellan Confederation. We've been unable to take back our ancestral world of Robinson for entirely too long, and it's high time that was fixed.

Unite redundant clans (and instead they have more internal cultural differences) they atack all at once, they are less furry centric and some other cultural stupidity. Personally, to not make Clan tech so broken in comparision to the IS.

I mean size-wise it'd be easily split in 4-5 parts. It did have some splinters (Filtvelt) but yeah, the marches, and honestly I'd have made the Taurains subsume some of the Outback but I'd still split the Calderon Protectorate from them as well. Give them the Pleiades and that Outback chunk, then call it a day.

The Cappies would get the same treatement. St.Ives, Sarna/tikonov, all gone.

I figure the Cappies in three chunks: St. Ives, Tikonov, and the Sian Confederation.

It's the more elegant way desu.
I like that. One part more in revenge vs the Fed, the other more about explore and colonize.

Balkanization isn't what's needed. Wizkids tried that and it sucked and everyone hated it.

You are not everyone, friendo. In fact you're the only decrier thusfar.
>inb4 you start samefagging to pretend a ton of people hate it
At this point talking like this about the lore should either not even faze you or not matter because the lore isn't ever going anywhere anyway. At least noplace meaningful.

Cool, thanks for the personal BS. Meanwhile what I said is true and CGL have taken steps to put factions back together and trim away the fat. Some of the best parts of the Dark Age, like the nuFWL, are a testament to this.
Go be weird and filled with animosity somewhere else.

No we wouldn't. First, under Xin Sheng, the nation wouldn't balkanize at all. Second, under the writers, we'd stay together. Third, as long as the game is owned by Randall and Loren, we're totally immune to bad things happening.

So, no. Everyone balkanizes and we don't. Which means that we finally get to even the score against the Federated suns.

Less of them, all come in at once but their military performance is more tabletop level than the original invasion insanity, and culture shock/defections are a big thing, like zentraedi level.
The clans I'd keep would be
>wolves
>falcons
>jags
>cats
>spirits
>hellions
>mandrills
>scorps
>sharks
>maybe ravens, but maybe merge them with the sharks instead
I'd also remove the weird incest/casual sex thing because that's not my magical realm, and instead have the trueborns be full zent, just medicated to not give a fuck instead of gender segregated

I'll second him for the two usual reasons.

1. We already have those internal divisions. People just need to fucking pay attention to them. And by people, I mean both the authors and people in here. Like that dude talking about the Outback like they aren't the ones who hate the Taurians the most despite being former Taurians. It's Anduriens returning to the Capellans-tier retardation.

It's more interesting to watch substates jockey in a big state than tiny individual states squabble without any ability to pull together anything meaningful.

2. There's no pagespace to adequately cover any more than 10 or so major factions at any given time.

I mean his point about the Early DA was right. Everything focused on the RotS subfactions and there was no time for anyone else.

Well this came out quick.

>if anyone agrees with him you win because it's samefagging
Quality shitposting.

I don't get that pic. CGL isn't at fault for things. They've been trying to keep a dying game alive when it's filled with a half-toxic player base and mired in legal difficulties. That's not easy.

I disagree with 1 because if you've ever played and loved the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games, or enjoy that period of history and that kind of stuff in general, smaller states jockeying for position among other smaller states then slowly gobbling each other up is quite interesting. Internal griping is fine but it's not quite as interesting to me, so we'll be at odds there I suppose. Your second point does have merit though, and it's why I don't get super upset about it not happening. I like having more choices, especially since anything the Clans touched isn't a choice for me to play and care about, but one must also consider keeping things tight from a lore perspective to facilitate the writers. Though... do we really have anyone worth facilitating right now?

Never forget
The decided Official Band of BattleTech General

That the first wave Invading Clans were the only clans. Maybe you had 20 originally, but it was ground down to the big 4 by Revival. You could still have references to other ones like the Widowmakers were used in canon with units carrying some traditions, but just the four real living clans.

Otherwise, give them bigger armies and viciously cull their amount of functional warships to balance out the numbers a little better.

People are mad that they haven't moved the plot forward in over 3 years despite doing a fun job from 2006-2014. Battletech was even legit back on the map from 2008-2013 or so.

I think most of the problems the company has came about when Coleman waltzed off with the best part of a million bucks since that fucked their ability to pay authors, artists, and finance print and production runs permanantly. Coleman's still around and in a high position though, so clearly it's not that big a deal for them.

The flow-on effect this has had is a steadily decreasing level of quality in products, degenerating to the point we're at now where CGL literally does not bother with proper fact-checking or proof-reading because that shit's expensive and the fanbase will do it for them for free. And if the fanbase won't do it for them for free, they bitch about how ungrateful we all are and say it could all be fixed if someone would just step up to the plate instead of complaining. The side effect of this is that they use the OF echo chamber to source new talent since it self-selects for people who follow the party line, and also means you only get shit-tier, one-eyed writers because anyone with real talent can and will earn better money elsewhere.

The TL;DR of all this is that 90% of BT's problems can be directly laid at the feet of CGL. The toxicity of the fanbase (an issue that's mostly resolved itself IME since most of the problem players ragequit during or after the Jihad when their pet factions weren't the super best at everything like they had been before) and legal issues (which I'd argue are actually on CGL for not doing due dilligence and having a proper legal team because of money) are only responsible for like 10% of the problems, tops. And I'd say much less than even that.

These. CGL is as far from saintly as possible, and is going to destroy itself with its "old boys club" attitude. If they had thrown Coleman in jail, had his shit seized to pay back what he embezzled, and dedicated themselves to not listening to the loud mouths of a dozen or so aspies they'd be in way better shape. But alas, they deem it a good deed to sink their own ship and drag the IP down with it.

>If they had thrown Coleman in jail, had his shit seized to pay back what he embezzled, and dedicated themselves to not listening to the loud mouths of a dozen or so aspies they'd be in way better shape.

Jesus told me not to, though. One must not argue with the LORD.

Fuck you Randall, go back to writing incomprehensibly terrible rules in sourcebooks no one uses and forgiving major criminal behavior because the perpetrator is your friend from the old days. Fuck you.

Battletech is built on the War of the Roses kind of stuff, which I prefer. A monarch with a tenuous hold on many substates with their own agendas who will go rogue when it suites them. I find organizing a bunch of smaller groups into grand campaigns more interesting than pure small squabbling. Even more tenuous stuff like organizing the Crusades where things go horribly wrong at times is more fun to me than eternal Sengoku type stuff.

I'm always curious, what was exact phrasing? Was it "Jesus said not to" or was it "Jesus wouldn't want me to"?

I agree. It's better plot-wise for a series of substates/provinces being held together than a shitload of tiny states that the fluff can't adequately deal with.

>do we really have anyone worth facilitating right now?

The writer credits in the latest stuff is mostly the people who did good shit before. Their problem is they need to do NEW stuff instead of copying and rehashing older era stuff and getting retcon happy when doing so because they want to put their own stamp on it.

We've also lost Battlecorps which was where I always looked for up and coming new writers. They should call up some more of those folks.

If they made a lance, what mechs would they all drive?

>666
I'd post that "For the glory of satan, of course!" image if I had it but on such short notice this is all I have.

Anyway, they're from San Fran, but they sang about- do I even need to elaborate. Everyone knows what their fucking songs are about. I'd say that they'd be piloting sturdy mechs that -seem- like they'd be used by your everymen, but in reality they're pretty posh. I'm not confident in my breadth of mech knowledge enough to put something together beyond that. Regardless, they should probably also look like old, worn muscle-cars. Not beat-up, but well used.

All I've ever seen is the press release where Randall talked about going to speak to major industry figures about what to do, but he never named names and I kinda expect he only spoke to people who'd give him the answer he wanted to hear.

If the advice from industry titans was actually "It cool, mang, let him have the monies" it explains why our hobby more generally is always in the shitter. If a friend takes almost a million dollars out of your operating budget, the correct response is not to forgive him, write off the debt, fire the staff who say they have an issue working at a company where the embezzler remains on the books after doing an audit for free, and chase off all your competent workers because loyalty is more valuable to you than skill.

I get wanting to work with friends and family, but there is a point where you need to have some professionalism. CGL is long past that and has taken BT with it.

I personally think we're about two years past the time when the game could have been meaningfully resuscitated. They dithered too long with ilClan and the game has moved from life support to palliative care. Which is shit, but CGL made that bed for themselves and everyone else.

This. While the Jihad was kind of an exception to the rule, BT fluff generally struggles when dealing with more than four factions at once- main good guy, sidekick to good guy, main bad guy, sidekick to main bad guy. This is why the FWL was so neglected for so long. Adding more factions is just going to cause more factions to be left out of the metaplot, in which case why even add them to begin with?

Well it would be nice if the writing would sometimes include reasons for war besides one side being a dick. You could interestingly include many more factions that way.

As multiple people have stated, I would make clans less numerous and less magical realm than they are now.

Also I would make things like Superchargers/MASC, collant pods and radical heat sinks be more common amongst them, with the clans being more of high risk, high reward style of play that focuses more on individual tactical maneuvers than unit maneuvers of the IS

The thing is, Coleman owns CGL outright. This is the thing people always leave out of the conversation. It's like that episode of Metalocalypse where the band was stealing from themselves. That's what makes everything so much more complicated.

Straight kicking him out would probably have caused the immediate destruction of CGL and the death of BT. Instead, the whole event mainly fucked the Shadowrun writers.The mistake SINCE then has been them continuing to bleed money on these other ventures like the Duke and Cosmic Patrol instead of buckling down on their bread and butter. You simply can't AFFORD to let Battletech wither while you play around with other projects.

He's one of the owners, and that hasn't stopped other companies from kicking embezzlers to the curb.

It's not so much about him being an owner, really. It's about everyone else at that level either cashing out their chips at the time since they knew the other faction were his BFFs and enablers. If he didn't have Randall and the others in his corner more could have been done.

So, for a bit of a more positive spin, what are some products that would make good filler while waiting for ilClan?

I'd have stuff like
DA TP:Atreus
OTP: The Republic Civil War
OTP: The Regulan War
DA TP:Terra (Proving Grounds Retcon)
OTP: The Falcon Civil War
DA TP:Tikonov (End of the Swordsworn)
ISP Mini 1: The Fleet of Blake
XTRO:RISC

Less sitting around, more raiding and pillaging. Having them be more fleet-based would greater accentuate the differences between the IS and the Clans. Also, why Khans? Not a single of of them have anything to do with the Mongols, make them jarls or something instead.

Why would jarls be better?

You'll take your 3rd and 4th SW SBs filled with clumsy and bewildering retcons, and you'll LIKE them.

But if we're gonna go pie in the sky, I'd like something that deals with the designs used by the Clans between their formation and the OmniMech take-over. Finish retconning things so that they have a bunch of stuff upgraded to Royal specs in their second-line units like they logically should, make the Lupus into a STANDARD FUCKING 'MECH WITHOUT MASC LIKE THE HELLFIRE'S GOD DAMN FLUFF SAID IT WAS, and so on. Finish it off by retconning the Woodsman so that it's understandable it went out of production- all standard components and hardwired MASC with 23 tons of pod space so that things like the SUmmoner are actually an arguable improvement, etc.

Clans: The Golden Centuries would be a great book.

Brush Wars 2 when?

It can cover Operation Guerrero, the Capellan Civil War, and... what else?

It already exists. It was dull as fuck. Only good homeworld books are Klondike and WoR. One for delicious ultra Periphery flavor and one for finally cleaning house on the Cluster.

>Covering Guerrero
Fucking hue. I don't have a reaction suitable for how hard I'm laughing. Guerrero literally cannot be fluffed except by being glossed over due to how bullshit it is.

I have no interest in 3050's/60's getting the same bumblefuck retcons as the early 3000's.

Yeah I meant to post this when I mentioned it.

Honestly, Operation Guerrero is the one thing that needs some sort of retcon so the Capellan half makes sense. The FWLM had overwhelming force and a modest list of targets. The CCAF had no ability to do what it did.

Early 3000s retcons?

I will never not be mad about that book. It sums up every problem with Kit as a writer and the fact-checking/proofing process because it gets so much basic shit wrong and is also as boring as fuck while doing so.

The whole Guerrero and Chaos March plotline is never going to make sense.

The Capellan March alone had enough units to completly crush the Capellans, and then the Suns never re-conquers those planets because ??? There is, unfortunately, no way to address that in a way that makes any kind of sense.

You can only explain it from an OOC perspective; they wanted a conflict-torn region of the IS close to all the major powers so GMs had somewhere to set merc and RPG campaigns without effecting the metaplot and also unfucking the Capellans after they got so massively borked during the 4th SW.

>WoR good for clearing house

I guess if by clearing house you mean "inevitable and drawn out Star Adder victory"

So basically old Star League stuff? Old but still high quality?

This only work if the provincial groupings are interesting.

The only BT state that ever seemed ripe for more interesting fluff was the FWL and that was the one they gave the least shit about.

The homeworlds since the homeworld clan introduction had way too fucking many factions and nothing written about them. The stuff they were introduced in was basically it. If it was up to me, I would have wiped out the whole cluster, made it uninhabitable and have the clans in hiding out in the IS in the DA be the only guys who survived the carnage.

It's possible, but you'd have to insert some kind of administrative/breaucratic element, I think. Something like a breakdown in the Suns' command structure, probably due to the Lyran succession, that prevented a proper response from ever occurring. It's harder for the Suns because they were a very competent military just prior to this, and even accepting it still only pushes the problem down the road a few years, but still.

This is a result of people not reading. The Dracs have great provinces. So do the Davions and the Steiners and the Caps. Balkanization is actually the problem in many of those areas. Peeling off the Hogs, Tikonov and St. Ives and such fucks with things.

Davions arguably have the second best province bickering behind the FWL because each march has significant muscle and sway in the politics of New Avalon. People just remember their stable period in the 3050's and forget everything before and after.

The do insert a bit in the novelization "Bred for War" that the AFFC lacked the jumpships for a large-scale counterattack due to the Clan front, and that most of the Sarna March's best defenders were actually on Tikonov for war games.

If they stressed that, and maybe retconned it so the FWLM was actually helping the CCAF more (more mercs or some actual House units), it might work. Maybe. Kinda.

Like that one guy said in another thread. The Sarna March was technically Lyran territory. And so the Lyrans secceeding and pulling out means Katherine might have taken it as an act of war or something if the Suns stepped in.

The whole seccession itself still doesn't make sense to me timewise. Victor was ruling from Tharkad right? He was in the Lyran half of things and it was the Davions who were pissed they were sending all their boys to the clan front and their prince was ruling from a thousand lightyears away. So how did Katherine take over the Lyrans after she blew up their mom? The setup seems backwards.

I need to read that novel again, because I straight can't remember how that all shook out.

It's kinda nonsense because apparently they didn't want the Suns to be the villains but somehow it was flipped so the Lyran-born and raised Victor was beloved by Suns patriots with Suns-born and raised Katherine became the epitome of Lyranness.

That whole thing is singularly dumber than anything in Guerrero.

Victor and Morgan Hasek-Davion were both in the Suns at the time. Unless you have both or either ordering the AFFS to stand down (which is just incomprehensible) the only way you could get enough of a disruption would be if there was a full-on ComStar Interdiction.

IMO anything you try to do is just going to be an attempt to mask the "it happened because Xin Sheng, motherfuckers :^)" truth of it.

As an aside it's why I don't like it when factions are set up as being so overwhelmingly superior to the opposition, cf the FedCom, Xin-Sheng and later Capellans, Falcons, early Wolves, most of the Suns' history, and Ghost Bears. There's no plausible way for them to lose so they have to beat themselves somehow if anyone else is going to win.

It'd amount to more if the divisions did anything. The Outback is pissy with the rest of the Suns, but even when it seceded it was in name only, for all practical purposes it was still a part of the Suns, up to and including subordinating its military to the Suns proper. The Capellan and Drac marches get antsy but even when they do get off the chain and attack the neighbors, they savage them so badly the Dracs and Caps are incapable of counter-attacking which results in a net gain for the Suns as a whole. If the tensions between the Marches actually hampered defensive responses or had an economic impact that might be something, but you'd need to wait for 3151+ fluff to even start inserting that into the lore.

We're still only talking about needing to mobilise a small fraction of the AFFC to smack the Capellans' shit in. If they really had so few JumpShips the Suns' economy and logistics should have been utterly in the toilet, yet it was clearly booming given the state of their forces and their ability to project them. Also, if they're on Tikonov they're in the perfect place to threaten a counter-attack, especially since they'd have the transport elements to do so in-system.

>It'd amount to more if the divisions did anything.
They do. You just have to look at all of Mike Hasek's scheming. Then the Sandovals and all the rest. The Sandovals are responsible for there being a War of 3039 at all.

>they savage them so badly the Dracs and Caps are incapable of counter-attacking which results in a net gain for the Suns as a whole
That is not how Sovereign Justice went at all.

The Outback never seceded either. They were given new march status as the Periphery March. Filtvelt is like four worlds and that's it.

>We're still only talking about needing to mobilise a small fraction of the AFFC to smack the Capellans' shit in. If they really had so few JumpShips the Suns' economy and logistics should have been utterly in the toilet, yet it was clearly booming given the state of their forces and their ability to project them. Also, if they're on Tikonov they're in the perfect place to threaten a counter-attack, especially since they'd have the transport elements to do so in-system.
Assuming the transport elements hung around and weren't ordered elsewhere while units were there training for weeks/months. And the FedSuns state command did have jumpships and Victor was given the option of dragooning them, but he opted not to so as to not crash the economy and instead chose to buy jumpships back from Katherine.

It's dumb, but it is what it is. Jumpships and logistics have always been things in BT that only appear when the plot requires it, and are conveniently ignored the rest of the time.

>They do. You just have to look at all of Mike Hasek's scheming.
The stuff that was all JUST AS HANSE'd? Yeh, nah. The Sandovals aren't the reason for the War of 3039 either, that one is Hanse and the Lyrans, it was always on the docket.

Sovereign Justice is a post-Xin Sheng op that still doesn't make much sense. For the amount and quality of units Hasek threw at the Capellans and the time he did it, the results should have been much better. It's blatant fiat that things turned out the way they did there.

Filtvelt is exactly what I'm referring to, BTW. They were the least happy with New Avalon, and even *they* just wind up being lapdogs.

For a force that large there's not a lot else you can do with those ships in the meantime. They'd be ferrying in supplies and doing stuff close by because a training op doesn't give enough time to re-assign them all elsewhere and you still need to ship everyone back home at the end of it.

But yeah, JumpShip access is a pure plot device.

Don't forget that there's at least one example of a Regular Regiment of the CCAF dropping on to a world controlled by a full AFFC RCT and wiping it out to a man.

which RCT?

>The stuff that was all JUST AS HANSE'd? Yeh, nah.

It's exactly the same shit Kirc was doing before the League actually broke apart. You can't complain about the Davions being less in that department just because the plans failed.

And the Sandovals are the reason 3039 happened. Hanse had being First Lord on the docket so he was going to fight everyone eventually. It's the timing that mattered. The old duke literally left everything to his son so he could go lobby New Avalon directly in court and spent over ten years drumming up support. Hell, it was Aaron wanting to crush the Dracs that led to him supporting Hanse in the Fedcom Accords in the first place in the 20's.

>there's a timeline where Victor was lauded as a Steiner patriot and went on to lead Lyran forces in crushing a FedRats rebellion led by Katherine

If only we lived in that timeline.

H: Wo3039 is the only place I've ever seen anything referring to lobbying from the Sandovals, and even there's it's wedged in between "This was totally going to happen any way" and "those Lyrans sure were mad about having to surrender all their gains from the 4th SW to the FRR and were just itching for another go-round," both of which got extensively quoted as the reasons for the War everywhere else. I think you're way overplaying the importance of it.

As for the Suns, the scheming needs to be competent for it to matter. The Suns is so omnicompetent that they not only knew what was happening but had been deliberately manipulating it for years, with Michael being an outlier who was followed up by the substantially more competent and utterly loyal Morgan.

It's in last third of Heir to the Dragon. James talks about all the politics of it.

>the scheming needs to be competent for it to matter
Tancred successfully took over the whole suns in everything but name. Even then, he couldn't completely keep that fuckup Yvonne from making some stupid choices.

Or what about motherfucking Erik doing the same thing? Him and Aaron were top plotters of the DA.

As someone who is 100% of Han Chinese descent, all I can say is
Gas the Liaos, space war now.

Sounds good, my dude.

What was it like during the FASA days?

Once upon a time, Battletech was bigger than 40K. Even in the later years when Battletech was smaller and FASA suddenly closed up shop in 2000, people said it was like Wizards just not showing up one year to the game cons. It was an age where Mechwarrior was a more household name than Gundam.

Then in the Fanpro years, we had to fight against people saying the game was dead. Because how could there be Battletech when there was no longer FASA?

youtube.com/watch?v=at9hxU864Fg

Let me try to put it this way.

With the FWL, and to a lesser extent the Skye province, the internal divisions of other states result in ongoing and meaningful issues for the Great House and at times even cost it significantly, up to and including no longer existing.

What internal divisions the Suns have are minor, and when those regions get uppity things inevitably turn out in favour of the Suns, with the one-time exception of Sovereign Justice.

The Suns' internal divisions are completely meaningless and trying to point to them to say they, too, are afflicted with that scourge makes no sense in context. People are arguing for there to be more internal divisions so that those get some focus and are actually relevant to the metaplot.

Now, maybe you're arguing for the Suns' divisions to matter going forward in which case fair enough, carry on. But arguing they have mattered up to now doesn't seem supportable.

You could be sure of getting product and metaplot advancement. That was nice, even if it wasn't always in directions you could predict.

>What was it like during the FASA days?

We used to play Battletech all the time over at the local game store, Bryan's Legacy. They even held tournaments from time to time.

Why? Barring like... the Star Adders and Coyotes, most of the clans that never reached the IS were the more interesting ones.

I'd rather see more new Fire Mandrill and Blood Spirit fluff than Ghost Bear, for example.

I'm not talking about how much internal fighting a nation does. Even the amount of internal fighting the FWL had was mostly just memes until the Jihad.

I'm more saying having interesting and clearly recognizable sub-states within the nation. The Cappellans were probably next best with St. Ives and Tikonov. And the Lyrans... sort of had that, in a half-assed way, with Skye being the best attempt at it.

We didn't get fucktarded plot like the DA and hamfisted attempts to join it like the Jihad. Plot there, for the most part, made sense.

I see a (possibly) local number. I'm guessing that store doesn't exist anymore?

>More interesting
>Just intro blurbs in two Field Manuals

They're no better than those single world nations with a paragraph written about them. Everything you think you find interesting is because of you filling them out with your imagination and not actually anything they'd done.

>We didn't get fucktarded plot like the DA
That was literally Jordan though. Can't get more FASA than that.

I went to that same school for university and it was gone by then. I got my first Battletech stuff from the game store over by the Air Base in town. But that was like geez, twelve, thirteen years after that poster was made.

Uh we still play at the loft on Tuesdays if you're still a falls fag like me... Holy fuck never thought I'd see someone post from my home town on btg of all places... Tho I never heard of bryans before... Must be before my time

>Pegasus Loft
Fuck, I haven't set foot in there in like ten years. I live somewhere else now. It's what got me started on Battletech though. The owner sold me all his 80's/early-90's stuff in the days before ebay. Got my TRO's/Maps bunch of minis, all the core goodies. Plus he used to order me newer minis.

And he always gave me good deals on aero stuff that was still in the blue blisters.

Hey, sparking imaginations is what good fluff should do.

>Pegasus Loft
Yup he's still around, still gives pretty decent deals too tho he hasn't stocked btech in a few years, has a new store still by the base. We're running a mw2 campaign right now at his store.. Shame you moved we could use some more seasoned players around here

Sure, if it's a build your own setting like D&D. If you're trying to make a cohesive setting like BT it's less great.

>I'm always curious, what was exact phrasing? Was it "Jesus said not to" or was it "Jesus wouldn't want me to"?
It was more :
"Christians* forgive each other. Also he doesn't have the money sitting around so we can't sue him and take it back. I'd feel bad for throwing him out of his new McMansion, but he can totally earn it back with this new (book/novel deal/Shadowrun new edition) he was writing and it will TOTALLY SAVE THE COMPANY GUYS"

The actual letter was long and whiny, but that distills it to the essence. He also lied in the same series of letters and PR releases about having money to pay the freelancers, why the accountant quit, and tried to paint the whistleblowers from inside CGL as trolls while still not knowing their identities.

*By which he means "Mormons", in this case, but that's not really super relevant.

I hate the way Wizkids handled it. CGL did an.. okay job patching the holes they left. Things like the aforementioned Haseks trying to defect and the First Princes playing the Haseks and Sandovals off each other have been part of the lore since day one; having it finally bear fruit would be interesting. But spreading it around the Sphere makes the whole thing seem forced and pointless, while generating even more tiny factions that 1) no-one gives a fuck about and 2) cost disproportionate amounts of time and money to create/maintain. It's a dead end from a gameplay and sales perspective even if it presents some great story opportunities.
gets it.

>H: Wo3039 is the only place I've ever seen anything referring to lobbying from the Sandovals
There's some fluff in the late 3050s TROs, as well. Read up on the shitty lights and the Watchman in both the original TROs and the modern reprints.

I'm going to have disagree about the relevance of the mormonism. This is exactly the kind of shit cults like that pull.

It might even have been code for "He's higher in the church hierarchy than I am and will make my life hell if I try anything"

I found the press release. It's on a SR-related blog but still.

hackslashmaster.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Shadowrun

herp a derp, would help if I posted the link.

Ilclan whennnnnnn

How's the Abstract Combat System in Interstellar Ops? A friend was telling me about it earlier today and it sounds like the tits for campaign play.

Never, nigger. What, you think CGL is going to put out a plot-advancing book? Who the hell do you think you're dealing with?

When Aerospace is given more love and finally let loose to utterly dominate the whole of Battletech, both in and out of universe.

So, basically never

This year for sure! Same as it's been for like the last four years or whatever!