Better Adventuring Guilds

What are ways to have an adventuring guild that isn't retarded.

If you wonder what I mean by retarded then you are part of the problem

A penal colony in which prisoners are sent in to clear dangerous monsters out of an area on the newly discovered continent. Enforced by a few high level NPC's who don't give a shit if you die cause that's the point of the colony.

You do realize this is a thread to make fun of the other threads right? That I'm calling out the idea of adventuring guilds as stupid and that they make no sense? That their are better ways to do them.

What are ways to have dragons that isn't retarded.

If you wonder what I mean by retarded then you are part of the problem

Most adventures are commissioned, not by random commoners, merchants, and petty barons who can be threatened into submission by two or three outraged adventuring parties working in concert if they renege on their obligations, but by powerful dukes, kings, emperors, and merchant guilds who, before the adventuring guild was established, regularly refused to pay adventurers after their jobs had been completed and had strength enough of their own to repulse any adventurer attacks.

If your universe has so many adventures and dangers abound that you have hundreds or thousands of adventurers, treat it like a work union. Benefits, work regulation, etc. Why would an organized country/kingdom/etc allow random civilians to get their hands on mounds of gold and ancient artifacts that could potentially overthrow their rule? Base it on Teamsters or Longshoremen, or something.

I use what I call the Wayfarers guild. Rather than being a guild of, by, and for adventurers, it's more of a conglomerated banking/transport/mail/merchant/mercenary guild that is allowed to operate across most national borders as long as they pay tribute/taxes. They will contract individuals, often referred to as adventurers, to undertake tasks and odd jobs that the guild either doesn't have the available man power to tackle, or doesn't want to risk their resources directly. It's only ever referred to as an adventurers guild by locals on frontiers and dangerous borders, where the number of adventurers, mercs, and bounty/treasure hunters greatly outnumber the bankers and merchants you'd find in them in more civilized lands.

Tl;dr

Make them the EIC

"Ironic" shitposting is still shitposting.

It's a mercenary company that is still on the up and up, and without a current war it takes monster-hunting, caravan protection and tomb-raiding jobs to keep itself flush with cash.
Or, in a situation like the Keep on the Borderland, this mercenary company has become the de facto expeditionary force of the Keep or whatever other home base the PC's are based from.

The Hunter Association.

Then actually contribute to the thread instead of just shitposting.

Did you just compare Dragons to adventuring guilds?

Alternatively, the BB Hunters Lodge

>Missing the point this hard.

OK, I'm not the guy you're replying to, but let me spell it out.

OP is bitching about something stupid an unrealistic in a game with fucking wizards and dragons. An "adventuring guild" is no less retarded than anything else in most tabletop games. So shut up and enjoy the game instead of bitching about how "unrealistic" or "non-sensical" your fucking wizards and dragon game is.

Something can just not make any sense in an RPG setting though and be out of place because of it. If we follow your though process to the extremes then it's "why can't I be an anime cat girl with magic eyes and the ability to reincarnate myself into different cat girls after each death"

What? You can't complain, it's DnD and so you can't say it's unrealistic because their are dragons.

That argument is fucking stupid. Adventuring guilds are also fucking stupid.

Isn't that just a lich but with zombies replaced with catgirls?

........... yes...........

don't have adventuring guilds they are queer

"Depends on the setting" has been made for stupid shitposts like this.
KYS IRL OP

Have it actually adventure and explore uncharted territories.

Report, ignore, hide thread.

The Royal Geographical Society. They're given state funding to go and explore ancient ruins, but they have to fill out reports diligently and whatever they find belongs to the crown. This lets you have quest boards and a pool of hirelings to build a team from, but is a bit more plausible than the rpg standard.

If the players want to keep their loot, they can always go freelance if they can stump up the cash for an expedition. That's why you can't have an adventurer's guild in the first place, there's no way to stop any idiot with the cash from trying their hand.

OP is a faggot. Adventuring Guilds are a meme that grew out of actual play, because it turns out that if you're playing a hexcrawling exploration/loot-the-tombs style game where lots of players come and go, eventually they will invent an Adventurer's Guild on their own. Because mounting an expedition into dangerous wilderness is a big, complicated affair, and because it's nice to have infrastructure for that and someone who can deal with your magic items, especially when there were no "magic item shoppes" in early D&D, and unwanted magic items were transferred directly between players by agreement.
It doesn't take too many heated arguments at the table before people start looking to set up a neutral third party to act as an intermediary.

Besides, there are real world analogues -- National Geographic was essentially an IRL Adventurers Guild in its early days.