/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General Miku Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
Have you ever been transported to your DM's magical realm? If so what was it like?

Other urls found in this thread:

dmsguild.com/product/170777/Blood-Hunter-Class
dmsguild.com/product/170778/Gunslinger-Martial-Archetype-for-Fighters
dmsguild.com/product/184921/the-Pugilist-Class
reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/6uzb60/the_compendium_of_forgotten_secrets_ultimate/
reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/6omb6g/the_compendium_of_sacred_mysteries_17_new_cleric/
dmsguild.com/product/200237/the-Magus-Class
dmsguild.com/product/228484/Xanathars-Lost-Notes-to-Everything-Else
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>player complains that the DM's description of his character is super edgy
>it's a lawful evil fiend pact warlock changeling that keeps a default form that's half tiefling half orc

No but I did have a DM asspull literal souls out of thin air and then secretly start replacing party members with flesh puppet clones so that nearly everyone had two characters that were indistinguishable from one another using magic and only the BBEG knew which was which.

Kill me plz.

Yeah, that sounds pretty edgy

ow the edge

>tfw playing a cavalier for 5 sessions and have been unable to use Unwavering Mark or Born to the Saddle (lol dm doesn't want me to have a mount)

I should have been a fucking champion or samurai

A billhook/small polearm-type weapon that does 1d6/1d8 piercing with the versatile properties and reach only when dual-wielded. Fine or no?
You can use Unwavering Mark when not mounted. None of the cavalier features require a mount unless they explicitly say so.

Does he refuse to let you get a mount at all or just START with a mount? A horse is 75gp

Could ask to swap if your DM has explicitly said he doesn't want you to have a mount

It might've helped to ask if you would be able to get a mount before choosing a class that likes being mounted

I thought cavalier doesn't have born to the saddle anymore
It has no explicitly mount-based features
Samurai sucks now
Unwavering mark should be working fine.

>I don't read my subclass features but I still complain about them

Oh shit wait, I'm wrong
They do get something mount-related, but all it does is make using mounts easier (and there was almost no disadvantage to any class using a mount in the first place) so it's hardly demanding you use a mount.

If you wanted to play a mounted character and your DM only told you 'no' part-way through, they're a faggot.

1d6 for both, but reach only when dual wielded would be more in line with the whip.

>a class that likes being mounted
is this code for warlock? :^)

>for 5 sessions and have been unable to use attack

>Two-handed strength based polearm that uses 1d8 instead of 1d10? No, it should be 1d6!
You have to understand that versatile is almost worthless anyway.

Fine. A little underpowered compared to just using a proper weapon for the occasion.

Hey it could be a social-heavy campaign. I hope.

Right, sorry, for whatever reason I mixed up versatile and finesse. Yeah what you had was fine.

>reach only when dual wielded would be more in line with the whip
Is that good or bad?
Probably. It's mostly for NPCs anyhow, and it matches with the group having very limited resources. Plus, I figured a d8/d10 with 2-handed reach would be stupid.

Though now I struggle to find a reason why, considering that it'd just use a war pick/halberd stats depending on how you held it.

I know Unwavering Mark works without a mount. Everything just attacks me by default, so I haven't been able to use the bonus action attack or force disadvantage on an attack roll yet. I guess in a way the feature is working, since that's half the point of the mark.

1000g for a horse. I feel bad for the peasantry desu

>I also said dual wielded instead of two-handed
I'm clearly out of it today.

I thought you'd muddled up the two-handed thing or something since a theoretical non-finesse one-handed reach weapon would be 1d6 or 1d4 depending on how you calculate it.

>Though now I struggle to find a reason why, considering that it'd just use a war pick/halberd stats depending on how you held it.
Yes, it would just be having two weapons you can choose between instead of packing two weapons and using whichever is more convenient. Considering it wouldn't work with PAM or GWM by default, it's probably actually still underpowered as a 1d8/1d10 weapon.

>1000g for a horse
Reminds me of oil memes
I bet the horse dies to one pitchfork hit anyway.

And yes, your DM is pretty lame if the enemies never find a reason to persist and attack someeone else anyway.

how much do spell scrolls cost?

d8/d10 5ft/10ft is fine. Players rarely use the versatile property on weapons anyways.

Is there any way to make mounts NOT suck aside from being a ranger and bullshitting the DM into letting you take it as your beast companion? Because otherwise they seem like a collosal waste of money that's set up to die to the nearest stray AOE effect.

In ToA you can buy a first level scroll for 100gp, and a second level scroll for 550gp, so you can probably scale the costs based on that

Wait, doesn't cavalier just encourage enemies to move away from you before attacking? Your reaction attacks get no special bonuses unless you pick up sentinel to try and stop them from running away, or warcaster with booming blade somehow.

Considering how many different ways you can move away without taking a reaction attack, that really sucks.

It usually boils down to

>"You attacked it last"
>"You shoved it prone"
>"You look like the biggest threat" - meanwhile the GWM fighter is whaling on the baddie for 40 damage a turn

Be a bard and paladin and just keep on casting find steed/find greater steed when they die that way.

It's OK I still love you.
>Considering it wouldn't work with PAM or GWM by default, it's probably actually still underpowered as a 1d8/1d10 weapon.
That's actually great news, but why? Just so I can have a snappy answer as to why not.
Marvelous, appreciated.

>Is there any way to make something that is a straight upgrade with no downsides at all except a couple of very rare cases stronger? I think you should just be able to throw money and get easy character upgrades for money instead of using it to buy a house.

Convince your moon druid to let him ride you as a horse. Or, if you're a small race, convince any medium-sized member of the party to let you ride on his/her shoulders.

Phantom Steed also takes an entire minute to fade away even after it takes the 1 damage needed to kill it, which should be enough to finish the battle even after it dies. It's also a ritual with no material cost.

So the usual dumb, blind tacticless enemies that have no leader to direct them.
Because that's always the best way to enter combat.

>straight upgrade
More like a useless money sink that needs babysitting all the time and still dies to the first enemy to know fireball. Why people ever use mount-oriented characters is beyond me.

I gave my Level 10 Cavalier this as a mount after his beloved Warhorse Teostra died. He recently picked up the Mounted Combat feat and is loving his new pet.

That's the fucking point.
1. it has no downsides, only limitations that don't hinder you (if it's too big just leave it behind) so if you made it stronger / cheaper everyone would start using it
2. It makes the game more confusing, so it's easier to not have everyone mounted all the time.
3. Something something kiting gameplay instead of heroics make ranged combat even stronger especially if you can lie prone on your mount while it moves at full speed.

If you want stronger mounts, beg your DM for a dragon or something. Nothing says you can't mount a dragon, but see if your DM even wants players going around on dragons.

Mounted combat is fun as fuck and not every DM is a jew. One of my favorite memories of D&D was 4 players on beefed up HP & platemail barded pegasus mounts fighting a dragon in the sky above a city. I was a paladin with the mounted combatant feat, so my pegasus was taking no damage from saves and he saved almost all the time from aura of protection.

I'm planning to play a wuxia style character in an upcoming campaign. I'm just not sure how to go about building it. I'm pretty sure battlemaster should be involved, but beyond that, nothing.

Any ideas?

Kensei monk

Command: Drop.
> The target drops whatever it is holding and then
ends its turn.

RAW this is the only thing that can happen if you say drop. If you say "dance" I as the DM can make up whatever shit I want. But "drop", no they had to fucking define it. And not as "here is one thing that could happen" it's THE thing that happens.

And specific (this is specifically what happens with the word "drop") beats general (rule of fun/DM decides shit).

Commence to jiggling. Hopefully you'll come up with something for my rules lawering know it all (who bought a PHB and just sent me a huge list of questions like "where are these breaks in the weave and how does a player tell?")

Semi new to DnD and working on a backstory for a knight from a noble house
A lot of his family were poisoned and I was going to tie it into a plot by a rival house involving demons and devils. Is there anything in DnD similar to Nurgle from Warhammer? An entity of disease and pestilence that would have provided a gross, horrific poison that could fuck my families shit up

They need to define some uses of command to set both an example for how powerful other commands should be and so they have some shit that doesn't waste DM time thinking about it.

consult appendix B in the PHB, use google, and leave us alone you lazy fuck

Depends on the setting. Talona for Forgotten Realms or Incabulos for Greyhawk.

>He doesn't use Command: Defecate

Everyone seems to hate Kensei. Is it actually fun?

How would a dragonborn's roar sound like if they used it to try and sound menacing/ how would you use it in a charisma check? Would it more ressemble that of a dragon or something else?

It's a Monk, do you find Monks fun?

It's fun if you wana be an unarmored fighter with a worse hit dice and no combat manuevers.

So after last threads Pugilist discussion, I'm curious how many of you express your problems with a homebrew to the Homebrewer themselves?

I feel like you guys sometimes bring out some really good criticisms, but you're talking to the wrong person about it. So I will post some links to brews that I usually see you guys have some passion about so you can tell the people who made them why you hate them, why you feel they are pointless, underpowered, overpowered, or even good etc.

>dmsguild.com/product/170777/Blood-Hunter-Class

>dmsguild.com/product/170778/Gunslinger-Martial-Archetype-for-Fighters

>dmsguild.com/product/184921/the-Pugilist-Class

>reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/6uzb60/the_compendium_of_forgotten_secrets_ultimate/

>reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/6omb6g/the_compendium_of_sacred_mysteries_17_new_cleric/

>dmsguild.com/product/200237/the-Magus-Class

>dmsguild.com/product/228484/Xanathars-Lost-Notes-to-Everything-Else

They *could* have made them examples.
> For example your DM may determine the following occurs:

They get better to-hit though.

...thanks?
Thanks!

>DM decides shit
Nothing beats this rule.

command: die

>he didn't even read the spell

oh shit you just broke the game

What are two deities that are almost the same or the same but go under different names in different settings? Bonus points for not evil and not war.

Or a cross setting reference would work... never been much on the deities thing.

How would you feel about a Rogue that cpuld spend it's cunning action to attack?

I don't get what the problem is?
You can always limit the players to the defined actions if you're feeling stingy, they're solid.

>unarmored
But your weapon is also a free shield. Between that and Unarmored Defense, it's pretty easy to start the game with 17 AC.

I would feel that rogues are good enough as is and would need to sacrifice something pretty mejor (ie: Sneak Attack) to get something like that

I hate the DMsguild, its broken AF on Firefox

You can already do that.

the problem is when the player says DROP I want to be free to interpret what the creature does (flops to the ground) and the text leaves absolutely no wiggle room for that.

Literally any Greek / Roman god ever

Consult your DM. If he does not have a Nurgle like deity I'm sure you can convince him to make one.

Dual wielding is dumb.

But you can't add your Dex since you're a shit

So you want to screw the player over with things that aren't in the rules 'because it leaves the rules ambiguous'?
That's just dickish.
You can completely shut things like conjure enemies down by 'you summon only CR 0 creatures!' and other such bullshit, but you should let the players do what they wish.
If they want the enemies to drop prone, they should use whatever command word does that.

There's a reason it's pretty much unheard of in history

For

Try "prone" ?

Eh, not unheard of, just highly specialized and never saw much wide battlefield use. It was mostly a style made for one-on-one duels.

>He's never heard of a parrying dagger

I'm going to hit level 8 as a Champion Fighter soon, but I'm kind of at a loss for what I should do for my ASI. Anyone care to offer advice?
My ability scores are as follows:

I already have Heavy Armor Master and Great Weapon Master as feats, and my STR score is 20. I'm considering the following:

>ASI, +1 DEX, +1 WIS
This would make my DEX a 16 and my WIS a 14. It would bump for few checks and saving throws.

>Feat, Resilient (Wisdom)
My WIS would be a 14. The proficiency in WIS saving throws would be nice, but WIS saving throws having come up too much in this adventure.

>Feat, Sentinel
My character is the most durable of the group, so keeping enemies near me and punishing them for attacking other people seems worthwhile.

>Feat, Tough
Just more HP in general. A bigger boost than adding +2 to CON (which is currently at 16).

Thoughts on what to take?

yeah, that's pretty much the definition of edge

And it was mostly horrible in said duels unless the opponent was also duel weilding.

That's hardly the same thing as attacking constantly with two Shortswords

Have you tried "Grovel," the command listed that does exactly what you're wanting "Drop" to do?

>they should use whatever command word does that
so they should use DROP but then the creature drops what it's holding. See the problem?

or was there another command word for DROP you were thinking of?

Really? I never use Firefox... Then get the ones on Reddit then.

Well that's what you get for a second chance to deal sneak attack damage. I'd say that a cunning action second attack would be balanced if it were unable to trigger sneak attack. That way there's still a reason to use the offhand attack instead of just cunning action attacks.

How the Fuck did you manage 2 feats and a 20 stat by level 8?

prone is not a command

care to try again

which is stupid and not what Grovel actually means

>I already have Heavy Armor Master and Great Weapon Master as feats, and my STR score is 20.
>Champion Fighter

Sounds like you're done.

You didn't even read the rest of the fucking spell, did you? See

Maybe. But it's not Pathfinder where you can make an Archetype that trades out entire features. How would you even do something like that?

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooling

Resilient (Wisdom) is always good. Nobody wants a GWM fighter to get dominated and start raping the party.

Sentinel is good too. Nobody wants an enemy champion to run past you and start raping the party.

Tough can be really good, especially if you spend other ASIs on CON. almost 300hp at level 20, depending on your hp rolls. Nobody wants the fighter to drop in the middle of the fight, leaving the party open to being raped.

-DM makes players roll for stats (4d6, drop the lowest). Rolled a 17. Got +2 STR from my race, making it 19.
-4th level Fighter: 1st ASI. Picked HAM as my feat. +1 to STR, making it 20.
-6th level Fighter: 2nd ASI: Picked GWM.

>which is stupid and not what Grovel actually means
Grovel
verb
To lie or move abjectly on the ground with one's face downward.

Care to embarrass yourself further?

Probably alt human and level 4 feat instead of stat increase?

So you just don't like the wording of the spell?
Just get a pen and rewrite it then, sure. It's such a petty thing.
But just to google what grovel means, 'lie or crawl abjectly on the ground with one's face downwards.'
No matter how you look at it they're going prone unless you're saying 'oh, this enemy understands this language as attack your face!' in which case you're just trying to fuck with players.

Well that's gay as shit. This is why rolling is a fucking meme

I'm gonna have 20 str at level 6 as a mountain dwarf using point buy since DM gives a free feat at lvl 1.

>creation: 17 str, 12 dex, 16 con, 8 int, 13 wis, 10 cha. Shield master
>lvl 4: 18 str, 12 dex, 16 con, 8 int, 13 wis, 10 cha. Shield master, heavy armor master
>lvl 6: 20 str, 12 dex, 16 con, 8 int, 13 wis, 10 cha. Shield master, heavy armor master
>lvl 8: wowee same situation as OP

Eh, at least he not a multi classing faggot

A free feat hardly proves a point. Especially on mountain dwarf

You asked I answered homie. Totally within the realm of possibility.

Yeah the previews have never ever worked for me, and neither does the download link. I figured out how to pull files out after 'purchasing' them but it's a pain in the ass. idk why RPGNow sites have such shit design

That's not what grovel means. They redefined "grovel" because they defined "drop" to mean something other than go prone.

It's fucking stupid they defined to the letter 5 words but left the rest open.

How about flee? Must use the fastest means available. Not open to interpritation. If the paladins horse is there they'll jump on it becuase it's faster than running. If they have a dash ability they'll use it (player or creature). Burn teleport spells. etc.