Due to being Jobless last summer I ended up with a lot of free time...

Due to being Jobless last summer I ended up with a lot of free time, since nobody wanted to run any games in my groups I literally had nothing better to do but to read. I decided that the 8000 page mess of Homestuck was a good idea since it has as many people praising it as there are people who call it shit. Despite dropping harder than a sumo off a diving board the first half was decent enough to keep my interest, even to the point where I wanted to play a Veeky Forums game related to it. It wasn't hard to find a system that someone had already made, though after reading through it I found it to be a little rules-heavy in places, and unfinished in others. Given the narrative, I felt like things needed to be more freeform to allow different interpretations of powers, as well as to try and encompass the literal infinite possibilities that are Alchemy, so I began to work on my own system, and even managed to find four scrubs I knew that know nothing about the setting prior to the campaign.

I'll even admit, things are going pretty well so far. The players like to plan ahead and investigate while maintaining a reasonable amount of paranoia, and only the player in control of Time itself has been going off the deep end and subtly ruining everything, but that's to be expected in a tabletop game. While I don't intend to stop running games for them, I would like to see how well this works for someone else. Partially to see where things don't work or there are blatant fuckups in the rules, partially to see how well a game would work with people who actually know the narrative, but mostly because I want to play too. Anyone willing to try and tackle something like this? Or any comments about shit to look out for in the setting itself when trying to port it to a Veeky Forums applicable format? I'll admit there were points in the story I started to lose interest and I might be completely missing something incredibly important.

Tl;Dr Sburb the Veeky Forums, any ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

archiveofourown.org/works/340777/chapters/551606
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Set up a great campaign and then make the very last part of it as disappointing and terrible as possible.

Bumping into the morning.

Also make sure you hand off DMing your campaign to your girlfriend's overly annoying sister and make a few of your friends characters arcs go nowhere. Bonus points if you can get a few of them to turn gay as well, for that authentic experience.

Post-Cascade was a fucking joke, but I'm still trying to incorporate (some) of the plot related to the worse half while blatantly cutting the rest
This thread'll probably die unless someone shitposts to /co/ and nobody wants that.

I stopped reading when they introduced the lucky charms fuck chart and the green lich loli ate shit. I only remember vague tidbits about the setting and setup.

It's difficult to contribute if you don't tell us what you have set up so far, OP. Better to avoid retreading ground already covered. How have you set up Classspect, mechanically speaking? What's your intended core system?

I know there is at least 2-3 different projects to make Sburb into a tabletop RPG. I would recommend to just sticking to something simple; use a d6 roll high is good roll low is bad system, or take D&D's basic combat and resolution system while gutting out all the class/race/magic stuff and insert Sburb. The game will only work well if you actually make it yourself.

Was gonna save if if there was any interest, but it works just as well as a bump.

The entire system uses a d10 base, with the normal roles of 1 being the worst and 10 being the best. When attempting to do something that requires a roll (Determined by the GM) the player rolls a D10 and adds their Primary Attribute to the number rolled. The number required for specific tasks depends on what the player is attempting to do, though generally target numbers are divided into Easy (1-5) Medium (6-9) Hard (10-13) and Extreme (14+)
The player is told the difficulty of the action they are about to attempt, but they are not told the exact number

Primary Attributes (GRIT, Wits, Diplomancy, and Imagination) were ripped from the other system, along with a Critical Number mechanic solely on the grounds that I liked the concept, though the main source for power that players get is ultimately their house and family. Players are encouraged to, shockingly, write a fleshed out backstory and details of their home, or at least as fleshed out a 13 year old kid could have that isn't grimdark as fuck or boring. While there isn't any rule in place stopping everyone from being the Rich kid on the block I haven't seen a problem among my players, beyond the occasional pulling a video game/ anime out their ass for use in Alchemy.

Which on that note. Alchemy. Alchemy is a bitch to deal with but I found a way to cope. Weapons, Items, and Players have a tier system, effectively being their level. Weapons deal damage up to their tier, capped off by the tier of the character using them. To compensate for this limitation, and to keep incentive for players to seek out better loot, each item has a set of Qualities which can literally be anything, made up on the fly. While this sounds overly crunchy, it's decent for keeping track of what abilities you can expect from what items while still leaving room for experimentation. The big limitation is Grist, which is decided pretty sporadically.

Cont.
Classpects aren't handled mechanically at this time, as none of the characters are even remotely close to Godtiering yet, and that in the early stages most of the powers people get are subtle (barring time) though I've asked my players for ideas they have related to their aspects and have begun to stat those up. The three main ones I have to worry about thusfar are a Knight of Space, Seer of Void, and Mage of Time. Time players are the easiest to plan for but the hardest to balance for, since I haven't been able to come up with a concrete penalty for doomed timelines (One of the biggest problems with making this work in a Veeky Forums format, since you can't just railroad players or cause a game over every time someone goes left when they should have gone right) At most they've been able to cheese a few encounters by making an army of themselves.

The Seer of Void got tricked into a Dead Session due to plot early on, every so often they get visions (sessions) in that timeline for hints related to the plot. Knight of Space hasn't even gotten in yet, but they've been dicking around on Prospit and done some baby making so that's been applicable so far. Most of Classpect handling is just working with your players early to see what kind of late game goals they have in mind, and then just stating/balancing those abilities while the game progresses. This isn't exactly the best pitch to try and sell a system on, but it's what I've gone with to try and keep players happy.

I'd say the best way to handle classpects would be to treat them like this:
>Aspect determines WHAT you manipulate
>Class determines HOW you manipulate it
>Tier determines HOW WELL you can manipulate it

That is to say, each aspect is associated with a concept/set of concepts:
>Space: Space/creation/nature
>Time: Time/destruction/technology
>Mind: Justice/consequences/decisions
>Heart: Self/identity/soul
>Hope: Belief/possibility/emotion
>Rage: Chaos/truth/madness
>Breath: Freedom/change/direction
>Blood: Unity/inspiration/friendship
>Life: Healing/unpredictability/suffering
>Doom: Destiny/rules/order
>Light: Knowledge/luck/light
>Void: Secrecy/nothingness/the Furthest Ring

The player then is able to influence things (or, at the very least, attempt to) within those concepts. How they do so is determined by class:
>Thief: Actively steals [aspect], claiming more for oneself and less for others
>Rogue: Passively steals [aspect], giving effects of the aspect around oneself while stealing it from specific sources
>Heir: Uncertain exactly, but has slow growth allowing for a large-scale manipulation of the aspect. All known heirs have fates tied to the nature of their aspect
>Maid: Uncertain exactly, likely has to do with using aspect as a form of protection
>Page: Creates/gives [aspect]
>Knight: Attacks abusing [aspect]
>Seer: Knowledge of [aspect]
>Mage: Knowledge from [aspect]
>Sylph: Heals/restores [aspect] to others
>Witch: Alters/manipulates [aspect]
>Bard: Passively draws destruction from/to [aspect]
>Prince: Actively destroys [aspect] and/or using [aspect]

The following two classes are "master classes", and should be reserved for special situations/fewer-player sessions/NPCs.
>Muse: Cannot act; uses [aspect] as an influence for countless others
>Lord: Rules over underlings themed around [aspect], each with a variety of powers drawn from [aspect]

Finally, tier is your level system. Hope this helped!

>Breath: Freedom

Wrong.

>Wrong.

wrong

Breath was mobility if anything. Jon (and Tavros) got to go to a lot of different places, even if both were ass slaves to other characters.

You autistic retard. Classpects are a deliberately dumb and confusing system to mock RPG systems.

yes
They are

Now how does you statement help the issue at hand, cause right now it's just reiterating the problem in a meaningless way

>Implying there was ever an issue at hand
I just want someone to DM a game in a system that writes rules as they become relevant.

Oh shit yeah Homestuck threads are always fun. I know there's a handful of systems knocking around, but unfortunately I don't have any .pdfs of them on hand.

This seems like a good start though!

It's canonically about freedom now.

Aren't they some Gnostic Jungian thingamabob?

>CLASS FASHION TIER LIST
>GOD TIER
>Knight, Seer, Rogue, Witch
>GOOD TIER
>Mage, Thief, Maid, Heir
>OKAY TIER
>Prince, Sylph
>MEH TIER
>Page
>LITERAL CLOWN TIER
>Bard

They only became that when Hussie realized people were taking them too seriously and that he could milk it.

>ASPECT COLOR SCHEME TIER LIST
>GOD TIER
>Light, Void, Breath, Hope
>GOOD TIER
>Space, Time, Mind, Rage
>OKAY TIER
>Heart, Blood
>MEH TIER
>Doom
>BEIGE TIER
>Life

And so, as you can see, Bards of Life are by far the least fashionable classpect.

We haven't even actually seen a normal SBURB session untouched by Lord English or anything like him, have we?

We don't even know what a normal session looks like from inside. We just know most sessions fail (probably because their Time and Space players keep dying or they don't spawn any).

Can we be sure it gets anywhere near as crazy as the sessions seen in Homestuck do?

I enjoyed this back in the day, even if the fan classpect were a little cringey.
archiveofourown.org/works/340777/chapters/551606

We have a good idea of what most normal sessions look like. I want to see the actual crazy shit, like 128 player sessions that last millions of years.

I've also heard they're tied to narrative elements.

>Space: setting
>Time: pacing
>Mind: outer character
>Hear: inner caracter
>Hope: coherence
>Rage: contrivance
>Breath: plot
>Blood: character dynamics
>Life: agency
>Doom: conflict
>Light: relevance
>Void: irrelevance

We have canon explanations of what each is at this point.

Good luck explaining pic related to your players, OP.

>space isn't propagation or loneliness, it's "the big picture"
I feel like Hussie didn't write any of this.

Maybe someone should go simpler and try a Problem Sleuth game.

He probably didn't.

Just how much of Troll biology are we still missing explanations for? Anything important for statblocks?

I think the real trick to running a Sburb game is to make it as confusing and strange as possible, in the same vein as the original series. You throw in new mechanics and setting details that seem strange and comedic, phrase relatively simple things in complex jargon, and play up the absurdity as a means to tell a fun story and make a fun experience.

Sure from the outside the players gathering utonium grist to pay a giant surinam toad in order to sell its bubblespawn for mad boondollars to fund battlefield saboteurs by buying them black and white paint sounds dumb on the outside, but you can make it compelling as hell. Game mechanics everywhere, lands like LoLCaT, and all that strange whimsy that early homestuck was full of.

Basically, keep it absurd even when it's serious.

Also, make alchemization fun.

Nothing really, Hiveswap'll probably give us some new insights but they're really not that complicated.

Troll biology is intentionally tongue-in-cheek and overcomplicated. Making shit up on the fly would work best, but Hiveswap might add some interesting culture stuff.

>want to run an sburb game
>know at least one of my players knows about homestuck and two others have heard of it

Just do it, they'll enjoy it more than people who don't know it's supposed to be confusing.

Most people I know who read Homestuck don't enjoy it anymore.

Oh. Yes, that could be a problem. Not sure what to say in that case.

I don't even enjoy Homestuck any more, I just love Sburb. Hussie murdered homestuck.

Whatever you do, do not allow That Guy to get his hands on Trickster Mode.

>Implying Trickster Mode will even exist
Dancestors are getting gutted too

but who will be the exposition fairy then?

Probably the Handmaid