Rivals of Ixalan 2018

It has begun….
Gallery:
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/rivals-of-ixalan
Articles:
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/arrival-rivals-2018-01-01
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/rivals-ixalan-mechanics-2018-01-01

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nbj2_RxzcgU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Awaken, my Masters!

...it’s a racial anthem that gives vigilance if you have the City’s Blessing.

I'm torn between this and Dreamstone Hedron for my Boros EDH deck.

This is far better than Hedron in most cases.

Unless you care about untap artefact shenanigans in boros?(???)

What about Elenda or Shrine Atlisaur? Are you not gonna post them?

I was thinking more along the lines of potential toys for Goblin Welder
Mind Stone and Hedron Archive are already in the mix.

Shrine Atlisaur
4W
Creature - Dinosaur
If a source would deal damage to another dinosaur you control, prevent all but 1 of that damage.

I suppose so, in either case, I'd say both. TIS hits walkers and draws you shit + an anthem, all handy things in boros. It will probably draw hate too, so welder will still be useful for it.

God I fucking hate this card so much already. Utterly disgustingly good if you have to play against this shit without hard removal. Looks like midrange is fucking dead if your deck doesn't run black. There goes my Temur Dinos shitbrew into the trash.

The art lives up to the name! I haven't been this mindblown since paradox engine!

Holy hell, that's a nasty one.

What Blue dinos were you going to use? The blue elder dinosaur?

EDH staple.

I'll admit, that genuinely feels like 'This should be legendary'. I wasn't expecting The Immortal Sun to actually live up to it's storyline power.

It’s kinda boring for the legendary mcguffin of the block, but powerfull nontheless.

It feels like DUDE GOODSTUFF ARTIFACT LMAO. The planeswalker lockdown is great, but the rest is just bleh.

The ability doesn't cover itself. So it dies to damage fine.
It's also 5 for a 3/4 without evasion.
It's good but not op

>the first and most important vampire on ixalan
>wow it's fucking nothing.gif.jpg.mp4

That is actually offensively bad. Like if this was worded a bit more clunkily this could pass for an OG Legend.

Tier 1 modern deck incoming.

Heck, I probably won't even run this in alesha tokens, where I would be suprised if she dies as anything under 3/3.

I'm just glad I already hate nuMagic twilightpires. If I liked them I'd be really annoyed by this.

Well this at least looks like it might get played.

Standard maybe and that's pushing it.

nah

God dammit guys, I love the W/B vampires thematically but you keep printing such shit cards for them. 1/1 lifelink vampires are not going to do shit unless you print some proper support for them.

I mean if you eternalise it that might be annoying.

What i said on the previous thread.
4 mana Doomed Traveller.

>What Blue dinos were you going to use? The blue elder dinosaur?
Blue for counterspells and draw just like the last time I was able to have fun in standard with a theros/khans Temur deck. So, Opt, Spell Pierce, Pull from Tomorrow and Search for Azcanta. For the record I was also planning to run the R/G aftermath cards because I think it's actually not that bad with it's versatility and i wanted to try it.

What 4 damage removal is there in red that's actually playable though?

So your removal was already blanked by the Dinos being having 4 toughness, and this changes nothing. Ok.

This card is begging to be broken in some sort of sac/recursion-chaining combo.

Every time it recurs, you are +1 on tokens. assuming you sac all the tokens it created on death each time.

Seems like it can be abused somehow...

Fucking trash heap for standard, though. I'm excited to play with it, at least.

>Path to Discovery
>When a creature etb under your control, it explores

>and this changes nothing.
It changes combat a fuckign ton though if we're both trying to run dinos into each other.

That fucking sucks in multiplayer. Jesus why.

>last turn
this wording makes me ill

>At the beginning of each end step, if you lost life this turn, put a...
How could they fuck something this simple up.

Oops, misread it. Still sort of sucks in general, though.

I mean, I like the idea of it. I don't think it's going to scale fast enough to be useful though.

>I don't think it's going to scale fast enough to be useful though.
Not by itself, but it does double duty for anthems and assorted other buffing whatnots.

I'm not convince. Edgar isn't convince eaither

Yeah, I'd be a bit more enthused by that if Vampires had buffing worth a damn. Which is sorta my issue with vampires in general this set, they've a lot of little token stuff and small bodies that could be fun with buffs but they don't really have much there.

WB vampires is the perfect tribe for having tons of lifedraining effects, literally nothing is more fitting, yet they keep printing these lifelink tokens instead...
Instead of shitting out tokens when it died, it could be "when ~ dies, it deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player and you gain life equal to the damage dealt this way." Bump the cost to 5 or 6 cmc if you think that's too powerful at 4.

Cut // Ribbons

Is it really worth it to play Cut // Ribbons with no black in the deck though?

Or even just make her something like 'At the end of your turn, put X +1/+1 tokens on her where X is the life you gained this turn'.

These lifelink vampires don't have anything to really DO other than give you 1 life and die.

wait....is it really a lord for any tribe as long as its white? or does it JUST give vigilance?

well, if it sees a lot of play, why not? also, if you use aether hub, or some ramp spell like horizon or gift, you can tap any land for double black

just use farm to market then.

It's an anthem for any tribe AND gives vigilance if you have city blessing.
But if you're playing a white tribe and want a "lord" effect you could just run Honour of the Pure for mono-white tribes/'every good card has white' or Always Watching if it's not token based.

It’s a jojo reference.

And yes it’s a universal +1/+1 lord in white for 3 mana.

>farm to market
What part of "Temur Dinos Shitbrew" says that I'm running white?
I guess I'll just have to accept that my shitbrew's a shitbrew and will be fucked by some shitty dino sometimes.

God fucking dammit wizards! Vampires is the only thing i cared about in this block and this is total garbo! (actually i also care about trilobyte tribal) are we even gonna get a lord worth a damn? ill probably put her in my abzan +1/+1 counter decl out of principle since its probably gonna be a bulk mythic card. i didnt even know mulk mythics were a thing actually WHY IS THIS MYTHIC?

yknow, i'd espect the first vampire of a plane to have maybe some kind of power to turn other creatures into vampires or something that makes her feel like a leader i dont know!

Tilonalli's Summoner
1R
Creature - Human Shaman

Ascend (If you control ten or more permanents, you get the city's blessing for the rest of the game.)

Whenever Tilonalli's Summoner attacks, you may pay XR. If you do, create X 1/1 Elemental creature tokens tapped and attacking. Exile them at the beginning of the next end step, unless you have the City's blessing.

Tilonalli's Summoner 1R

Creature - Human

Ascend

Every time ~ attacks, you may pay XR. If you do, create X 1/1 Elemental creature tokens tapped and attacking. Exile them at the beginning of the next end step, unless you have the City's blessing.

1/1

...ok, that's not too bad.

Is this deck worth it for a magic noob? I'm swapping the Deathcap Cultivators for Channeler Initiates to be standard legal. youtube.com/watch?v=Nbj2_RxzcgU

The best thing about this is that it gets you to ascend pretty easily too.

with 4 lands and this, you only need 6 mana to get ascend

hey this dosent make me loose faith in magic! also that hat is dumb and makes me laugh. not as much as "Durdle Turtle" but still.

I'm just glad you don't lose it after not having 10 permanents anymore.
Anything in this block that profits off creature ETBs?

I don't think you want 6 explore triggers in the same turns for fear of mana flooding. Then again, I am a scrub.

You aren't flooding you are preventing flooding, if you draw them with explore you aren't drawing them with your normal draw.

Very quickly gets to your non-land cards.

wonder if this could be a playable mana sink in legacy dragon stompy. Hazoret is probably better though

I hope this isn't supposed to be the legacy playable merfolk...

they needed to keep edh vampires under control so fuck standard :^)

Nah that was Kumena

not at 4 CMC, no

this works with ascend right? I hope red has other ascend cards, would be neat to see a deck that tries to ascend as fast as possible.

Great... More ways energy can be cancer still...

...what makes them 'numagic twilightpires' other than not being strictly exactly Dracula?

Bulk mythics have always been a thing since mythics existed.
Honestly, all mythics should be bulk.

Here we go Angry Omnath!

>But if you're playing a white tribe and want a "lord" effect you could just run Honour of the Pure for mono-white tribes/'every good card has white' or Always Watching if it's not token based.

How could they not reprint Crusade? Christian Vamps, Crusade, come on, it's a total gimmie.

WotC is so scared of good cards that we can't even get stuff print from 4th Edition...?

Compared to other Legendary McGuffin cards we've gotten, it's pretty dope.

All rares/mythics should be playable in Standard Constructed. They don't have to be Modern or Legacy or Vintage constructed playable, but bulk in the Rare/Mythic slot just makes it suck shit when you open a pack and you don't have anything playable in the common, uncommon, or rare slots.

The same reason they won't reprint Jihad

If you crack packs for any reason other than playing limited you're just dumb

When the best thing in your booster is a manalith, there's a problem.

We get it Jeremy, da big bad sjws banned you from Magic, you can go now you fat fuck.

could this be good if used in combination with shefet dunes?

we've got a decent amount of merfolk with avoidance, so this may be good.

Okay.
Not a bad shout actually.

I meant more as in 'mythics shouldn't be all obviously overpowered goodstuff'.
Which, in all honesty, would mean 'garbage bulk trash WOTC is the worst ever' to most people because it wouldn't slot into existing decks perfectly as pure upgrades over existing cards.

hes right though

Cool. Cool.

Fuck wrong one lmao.

>Is more worried about politics than playing with magic cards and having fun
>Starts talking about ecelebs
When did this board go to shit?

>UNCOMMON LORDE

Oh Shit!

its not like Jihad or Crusade is on the reserve list atleast.
Holy shit they printed a lord at uncommon and its not legendary. It only took them 2 tribal sets to reach the same tribal powerlevel as amonkhet.

I was expecting a bit more, but this seems decent. Also uncommon, which is a big boon.

God dammit, that sort of stuff is what Vampires so desperately need.

Who else here is expecting this to be "Fatal Push level Uncommon" rarity?

Why the fuck is this rare and not uncommon?

Starving Paladin {1}{W}

Creature - Vampire Knight (U)

Starving Paladin doesn't untap during your untap step.

Whenever you gain life, untap Starving Paladin.

3/3

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'll pass on this one.

Started around Theros, kicked in bigtime around Shadows.
Was that ever proven? I always figured it was a case of people actually looking for the damn thing plus everyone wanting it for multiple formats.

>not a bad shout
sorry, what?

...yeah, maybe if he was just W. Vampires mostly gain life during the combat phase so getting use out of him is too fiddly.

Seems good in standard, those little lifelink vampires need something a little bigger to hold the line and it has pseduo vigilance.