Artist makes a "realistic" desert planet

>artist makes a "realistic" desert planet
>it has an equatorial band of wetness, even though it lacks massive oceans

Most map "artists" just look at what there is on Earth and ape it without ever looking at WHY things are the way they are.

Did either of you read the long article he wrote about the planet?

shill

Desert planet.

Post alien planets in this thread.

Another desert world. This one has high plateaus.

Rate these moons.

>rate

I drew this.

You seem confused

From smallest to largest: Luna, Mars, Earth, Colorado.

It's cute. Very comfy. Would establish a small and cozy space pirate republic somewhere along the northern coasts.

I drew this icy microplanet(115km diameter).

Too icy. Make some land come out from under the ice.

>Did either of you read the long article he wrote about the planet?
Shit was more incomprehensible that hypercube, though I'm sure his random splattering of science words and jargon wows plenty of plebs.

>hypercube
Time Cube, I mean. The insane website, not the unintentionally hilarious sequel to Cube.

After watching Moana I got thinking, is it possible to have a world that basically Pacific Islands, the Planet?
Reefs, archipelagos, tropical islands, volcanos, etc. You're never more then a days sail away from an island?

>people are this anal about their settings.

>After watching Moana I got thinking, is it possible to have a world that basically Pacific Islands, the Planet?

Yes, it's perfectly plausible.
The world would be covered in shallow oceans covering the 'continents' and connecting all these mountainous or plateau kinda islands with numerous reefs in, around, and inbetween. You would, though, have some SERIOUSLY DEEP OCEANS in some spots- deep, deep, deep.
Some Anons might tell you that such a place would be wracked by constant, terrible, tropical storms, but if you've got enough reef and surf and turf to break up the massive waves you'll be okay- it isn't so much about having enough continual earth as it is to just have a few things in the way every once in a while like atolls or something.

Unless this is an unnatural, developed, or introduced world- don't expect any large terrestrial animals like cows or even pigs, but you'd be up to your armpits in every aquatic creature you could ever hope to dream or nightmare of. Some people theoririze that planets with large shallow seas and warm climates like these would actually have MORE biodiversity than even our own earth since those are the most habitable zones in an ocean.
Birds, reptiles, amphibians, would be also be fair game though- think of animals that can either swim, fly, or float and fast.

Yeah. If I did, there wouldn't be any polar ice caps in the setting though. I can't help but think of ocean levels rising as the ice melts and flooding the islands. Maybe you could include them anyways. I'm sure there is more life under the waves than above so it's not like wiping out the surface life is really that apocalyptic.

If you did something like this you should also consider the effect a moon would have on the world.

Try watching Interstellar or some gameplay of Subnautica for some examples of ocean planets.

Not all artists are conscious of all scientific knowledge related to their works and not all scientists possess an artistic eye.

News at 11.

Thanks for the advice anons.

I thought this was Santa's reindeer in front of the moon

That Zelda Wind Waker game is also a great example of an ocean world. That entire game is about sailing from island to island.

Seconding Subnautica. Probably the best example of an ocean world I've ever seen. [spoilers] The game is fun too. [spoilers]