/5eg/ Knights Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
What was the most interesting knight archetype character you have seen at your table?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2016/04/11/can-voice-of-chain-master-perceive-what-is-happening-during-warlock-sleep/
sageadvice.eu/2018/01/02/two-new-creatures-from-mike-mearls/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Can a Voice of the Chain Master Warlock wear a helm that completely covers the head, eyes included, and rely on the sight their familiar provides?

Sure, why not.

According to Crawford, VotCM technically does not preclude the "it takes an action to see through your familiar while in battle" part. It's meant strictly as a distance upgrade.
But if your DM doesn't hate fun, he should allow it.

Here's the link, for those who hate fun.

sageadvice.eu/2016/04/11/can-voice-of-chain-master-perceive-what-is-happening-during-warlock-sleep/

I don't see why not.

Oh, that's why. I mean, RAW it's "you can permanently see through their senses" so I'd definitely allow it.

How do I play Whisper in 5e?

I don't know who that is, but playing a human female without heavy armor seems the easiest way.

>I don't know who that is
HERO, YOUR HEALTH IS LOW. DO YOU HAVE ANY POTIONS OR FOOD? HERO, YOUR HEALTH IS LOW. DO YOU HAVE ANY POTIONS OR FOOD?HERO, YOUR HEALTH IS LOW. DO YOU HAVE ANY POTIONS OR FOOD?HERO, YOUR HEALTH IS LOW. DO YOU HAVE ANY POTIONS OR FOOD?

Which one will come closer to a traditional utility Wizard character while also still feeling gish-y:
Arcane Trickster/Bladesinger
or
Eldritch Knight/War Wizard
or something else with one of those two first classes?

of those two probably AT/Bladesinger but you really won't get enough spare spell slots to play that role without being a full caster so if you're set on spell based utility just play a wizard or even better a bard

Just kill off your character.

I have returned. After an eternity away from you all, Jack of Blades is back!

How do I barbarogue?

You go to back to your home, Reddit, and stay there.

>Take levels in barbarian
>Take levels in rogue

You are now a barbarogue. Ad mortem, inimicus.

Why does Crawford hate fun?

That's not how you hold a kukri, much less any knife.

5 levels of barb
>subclass of your choice
>asi
>extra attack
rest in rogue

if you plan to use medium armor start as barb, otherwise start as a level 1 rogue take 5 barb and then go back to rogue.

Bladesinger because it's a wizard subclass which means you get full spell progression

Well, the character is actually insane, so that might have something to do with it.

So is War Wizard?

>Knife
Wrong. A knife is actually one of the few melee weapons where a reverse grip is viable. You can put more strength behind a chopping blow than a stabbing one, after all. I'm not saying that you'd ever want to EXCLUSIVELY hold a knife like that, but there are nevertheless plenty of circumstances where it might be desirable.

I agree that's not how a kukri should generally be held, though.

Raven Queens can also always see through their sentinel raven's senses, too.

Also, Revised Seeker Warlock when? The flavor is cool as FUCK, but the rest of it is pretty garbo.

missed that part
bladesinger is still a better fit than war wizard though if you want gishy

Stat them /5eg/.

In combat, using a chopping blow with a weapon as short as a knife opens you up to having your forearm grabbed as it drops toward the enemy, and then you're wrestling for the knife.
I suppose it could be useful for when you need to put a lot of strength into stabbing something that you're not fighting, but I can't think of any such situations.

I'm getting bored of 5e. How do I spice things up, or should I move on to a different system?

what bores you about it?
if it's only small things you can homebrew them away easily but if your having problems with the base ruleset then probably best to find something else

thats udderly uncalled for

>You touch a length of rope that is up to 60 feet long. One end of the rope then rises into the air until the whole rope hangs perpendicular to the ground. At the upper end of the rope, an invisible entrance opens to an extradimensional space that lasts until the spell ends.
What would happen if you tied one end of a rope around your waist and then cast rope trick on it while falling? Would it stop your descent once the space opened?

user could you fucking not

have you tried playing instead of just theorycrafting and shitposting?

I feel like there are really few 5e books after how 3.5 and 4th felt.

you'd hit the ground unless the cliff is more than 1000ft

otherwise I guess you'd stop and take 1d6 bludgeoning from the rope. after all it's not the fall that kills you.

congrats you can math as well as a 2 year old.

I literally have more 4th books than 5th books.

What's your point?

But why tho. All we get is some UA.

Holding a knife like that allows you to use it with a punching motion granting you a good many combat options. Also, altering your wrist a little allows you to use the weapon to block blows in conjunction with your forearm and then counter with the punching from above. Its been an effective knife fighting technique for a while granting the ease of blocking and striking like a boxer without the hassle and working with the hindrances on range that using a knife as a stabbing or poor parrying weapon already has.

they specifically want to avoid the shitshow that 3.5 was with 5000 different books n shit you need

How good would the Dungeon Delver feat be in a Tomb of Annihilation campaign?

because dear child quantity does not equate to quality.

and this

Not bad, considering all the traps

I can understand that, but I'd love an item compendium or something. Most of my campaigns are like 95% houserule stuff atm.

>advantage against traps
>resist all trap damage
>advantage to find secret doors

seems good

Why 1000?

Well, 3.5 had years and years of worthless bloat, and 4e had a lot of complaints about core that lead to them adding the stuff they'd removed as well as attempts to fill out the role/power source chart-though I feel kind of bad for anyone who hoped anything apart from some unimpressive strikers would come out of Shadow.

Rolled 13, 9, 6, 8 = 36 (4d20)

Duel wielding as champion was fun. Critical on every attack is sweet.

two actions 500ft each round

no shit, check back when 5e has been around as long as 3.5, and remember that quality beats quantity and at least half of what was in the 3.5 splat books was garbage

also you better be clear about tying first and casting after

hopefully this will not be true although with people who only clamor for MORE MORE MORE without regard to content I can only wonder

Would PAM champion be strictly better?

>Critical on every attack
literally what are you talking about

Earlier this month I posted about starting a campaign based on the Kanye West/Taylor Swift feud and it’s starting to take shape. The party will embark on kanye’s quest for revenge and be mystified by all the political intrigue between the Yeeliad people and the Reptilian dominated country of Taleyar.

My question is, what would be the best way to dress up the VMA event that started it all? Wouldn’t I have to make a fuckhuge organization comprised of all the ruling states in the world? Need ideas. Pic unrelated

everything is better than dual wield
hoping mearls gets round to that UA to fix bonus actions to help dual wielding out.

It just feels like combat is solved for me, and role playing is basically just mother may I. I mean, I enjoy role playing a lot, but not because of anything 5e does for me anymore.

A reverse grip knife punch is less effective than just slashing with a standard grip.
Also, trying to block a blade using a reverse-gripped knife against your forearm is dumb, because while the hilt protects your hand, nothing stops the blocked blade from then sliding down the knife and into your forearm.

Wouldn't tying the rope be an object interaction, not an action?

it's too complex for that in my opinion but perhaps another DM would allow it

>>>/pfg/

>be an object interaction
you mean like drawing a sword?

no. no it wouldn't. plus you used your bonus action pulling out the rope in the first place.

sageadvice.eu/2018/01/02/two-new-creatures-from-mike-mearls/

Youre correct on both counts. The blocking is really to reduce the amount of force that is directly transferred to your body and hitting your forearm tends to be a much less vital area than when you improperly deflect a blade with a standard forward grip and it hits somewhere on your body. It is also easier to block with it this way rather than the ineffectual parrying techniques that the forward grip requires. Mind you, the effectiveness of this technique is most prominent in modern hand-to-hand fighting seen in modern militaries where is occurs infrequently and doesnt include swords, axes or polearms. I was just simply attempting to put some context on where a grip like that might be effective. I think her choice of weapon combination is poor given the environments she fights in.

i'm scared user

I don't want to click it

Find a different system or change your mindset, because you'll just be bouncing from system to system forever if you think of combat rules as a puzzle to solve.

Luck. Roll 18+ and win the fight in one turn.

Don't know how I feel about fiends that aren't immune to fire, but I at least appreciate having some shitty mook fiends.

Is this balanced enough to let one of my players use it?

based on the thumbnail, no.

oh, hyperbole, right

>allowing weebshit
For shame, user. Also it looks like it's ok, but definitely needs some revision and clarification on a few things. The third hamon abilities of each tier and the capstone especially.

What would you change. The is the heal at level 3 too good? Scarlet Overdrive doesn't seem too good as is, cold damage is fairly uncommon, and it doesn't add any damage, just change the type.

Deep Pass is a little screwy, and is mostly there for flavor and a powerup for my player in the future. Is it better off just removing it and replacing it with something else? I'm considering removing the first capstone, since its rather shit and the class doesn't need 2. Is the second one too good?

categorical no solves all these issues.

I probably will. What are combat rules in any game though if not a puzzle to be solved?

Anyone have Home brew rules for throwing daggers/knives so rogues can be more like ninjas?

woah there user this is a blueboard.

>Homebrew
what's wrong with the current rules?

What would a kobold noble(knight) look and act like? What would his retainers look and act like?

What are some specific things that other games do better than D&D 5e? I've never played anything else.

>What are some specific things that other games do better than D&D 5e? I've never played anything else.
Mouseguard does everything better except not being furry. But specifically conflict resolution.

please tell me you're exaggerating your autism here
RPGs are about the RP; "solving" any of the systems is only finding the most efficient way to play, and that's hardly the only way to enjoy a game

Everything. D&D is the bard of tabletops

-5 Attack penalty eats up surprise attack bonus. Plus 2 daggers is lame shit, real ninja should throw like 6 at a time

yeah, rogues specifically are one of the few martial classes that can make good use of thrown weapons, given their lack of extra attack

You can rp with any system, but 5e combat is almost certainly not about role playing. It's a strange mix of simulationism and gamism.

So you want to be able to deal (what I presume to be) sharpshooter's +10 damage without the -5 attack penalty 6 times?

Vast is easier to get to the table and get players for.

Pathfinder is better at being 3.5ish.

Warhammer RPG is better at using all those d10s.

One Deck Dungeon is better at being Roguelike.

Monopoly is better for owning property and charging rent.

AD&D is better for rolling str8 3d6.

2e is better at being bastardized across 20 years and 4 editions.

4e is better at strategic encounters and giving martials something to do besides GWMPAM.

Poker is better at winning you money.

Haleakala is a better 2p game.

Fallout4 is better at graphics.

DiabloII has a better community.

Solitaire is a better mindless timewaster and has less homebrewing.

Thoughts? Does the mohrg already exist? Why did they leave it out of the Monster Manual?

You have a very flawed and inacurite is idea of Ninjas.

Also
>6 attacks in one turn
>Rogue

>5e is simulationism
LOL sure, a game where a fighter can just randomly decide to heal himself once a day, and only once a day, is simulationism. A game with a shitton of meta-game 4e powers left over because martialcucks whined and whined until they got them, because anything that isn't a gay-ass resource management system isn't good enough, so now we have meta-currency shit, is simulationist.
I am really starting to believe that most if not all 5e players are either completely retarded, or completely ignorant of even the most basic concepts of game design.

Reread user.

5e is a strange mix of simulationism and gamism. When a martial wants to be supernaturally strong he can't because muh realism. But then you've got all sorts of things like second wind that let him do gamey but boring things.

As far as I can tell, the line is drawn at fun. If you want to do something fun you can't because muh realism, but if you want to do something that is fairly boring it can be as gamey as you like.

the point is you don't have to "beat it" - quirky fighting styles and weapon choices that may be subpar might work better for the character you have created and as such RP dictates a less than optimal fighting style, which is still supported in a game with as much leeway in its systems as 5e. and this isn't even counting the completely gamechanging effects of certain magical items, and the constantly shifting environment of UA content. i don't think it's possible to solve combat in a game where a legendary dagger might work out as the best for your character and the DM might throw a load of unexpected monsters at you that nullify common tactics

I forget sometimes that 5e is old enough that it's the ONLY D&D a lot of people know these days.

They should have called it D&D New Vegas so noobs would know it's a chapter in a long and historied series of games, not just some random one off thing where they made everything from scratch.

>so noobs would know it's a chapter in a long and historied series of games
ah you mean like calling it d&d 5th edition, implying at least 4 previous editions?

Assuming that the 6 daggers are thrown 3 at a time, as in 3 per hand, I would say they only get 2 Attacks

I hope you're not expecting your ability modifier and sharpshooter damage to apply to each of those three daggers.

>noobs

Hey there grognard, thanks for ruining 5e.

Yes it is possible to solve combat in 5e. At its heart 5e combat will involve taking the basic attack action in 3 out of 4 turns at a minimum. Quirky fighting styles boil down to this as well.

Other games offer significant mechanical deviation for combat styles that drastically changes they average turn. 5e does not, and never will.

A kobold.
Kobolds.

why all the weeb shit? just make a fighting style that adds 1 to attack and damage rolls, allows you to draw a thrown weapon as part of the attack action and adds your modifier to the bonus attack damage like twf style when throwing as a twf bonus action. then you just have inferior archery with less range and lower damage dice but with an extra attack

That sounds pretty much ideal thanks.