Bright discussion ITT

Is Bright the most Veeky Forums film of 2017?

What is your opinion on how orcs, elves and fairies are depicted in it?

Other than Shadowrun, what other settings feature a society where all races are integrated like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hpiIWMWWVco
pbs.twimg.com/media/Cr4nqNDUIAEhrhA.jpg:large
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It was weird how Orcs got relegated to ghetto nigger fashion. They could have had their own style.

I think it's weird that they had ghetto fashion, but so did actual black people.

Overall the movie seemed to be sending a lot of bizarre mixed messages.

So did Zootopia. It’s hard to do one-to-one ratios, and even if you do it can have its own unfortunate implications.

>It was weird how Orcs got relegated to ghetto nigger fashion. They could have had their own style.
Maybe it´s an LA thing. The Miami orc was better dressed than the rest of his crew.

Ever have something trigger one of your fetishes but it's kind of in a form divorced from the usual trappings of an enjoyable sexual situation?

For a guy into pregnant chicks and bellies and stuff, this one is freaking me out a little.

As an aside, this is probably what a daemonculaba looks like.

It's implied it's not universal, the boss orc says where he came from there was less segregation.

LA seems to be in some sort of apartheid consider the elves having apparantly been allowed to turn an entire section of the city into a massive gated community.

I really enjoyed the film, but they should have made a series. I doubt the property is dead so hopefully Netflix knows what to do with it.

They funded a sequel before this one had even released so it's definately not dead.

I agree it would have made a good TV series but I doubt they could afford Will Smith for that. They managed to do a shit-ton of world building even with the movie format though, I was impressed. And it felt pretty natural, there wasn't any moments I felt like there was an infodump going on.

>I think it's weird that they had ghetto fashion, but so did actual black people.

Well that what I meant.

It's not really about the specific location, it's just the style. Not all groups of poor people dress alike. Elves had a bit of their own style, but Orcs were just black gangbangers.

Was there any side-info on the Army of the Nine Races?

Jitrek defeated the dark lord but was an Orc right?

There was a 2 minute video on the history of magic.

Apparently magic is almost entirely artifact based, with creation of said magic gems and amulets being a lifes work even before the secrets were lost to time.

The first wand was made from the body of an ancient superwizard that loaded himself up with permenant self buffs until it tore him apart. His apprentice took that wand and became the Dark Lord.

Jitrek assembles the 9 armies and leads them to victory. Some versions of the legend say Jitrek used a wand himself in the final battle, making him the only Orc Bright to ever exist.

We dont know where wands beyond the first come from. They might all just be peices of the same superwizard, which would go a long way towards explaining their rarity.

This super-wizard being the actual Sargon of Akkad.

I liked how they wove their mythology into actual world history.

I think it was more he was the one who brought the seperate armies of the races together, rather than the one who actually beat him. The sword-wielding hobo mentioned that the Dark Lord was defeated by magic, and we know nearly all Brights are Elves so presumably it was them who actually brought him down.

Explains why the Elves are still doing fine despite the Dark Lord being one of them, they can claim he was a aberration and that they delt with him themselves, whilst the Orcs are stuck being the bad guy's minions even though at least some of them fought with the other races.

I found it interesting that the Orcs seemed to be the most openly reverential of magic/prophecy, it suggested that it was this and maybe their respect for clan law that might have made them a target for recruitment by a totalitarian leader rather than an inherent nature that is predisposed towards violence or 'evil' you get in a lot of settings.

I bet old orc culture deffered a lot to the local tribe shaman as a sort of second cheif, if not outright making him the leader. So they treat magic with great respect, hold prophecy in high regard, and were really easily swayed into following the strongest magic user the world has ever seen.

Yes, yes. But more importantly WHAT THE FUCK IS A PANAHU?

Can't imagine the Japs doing banzai charges against Orc marines twice their size.

Japs would have had Orcs too. A katana might actually be able to do some of the things fanbois claim if wielded by a creature strong enough to deadlift an SUV.

I imagine Orcs would be interesting to see in warfare, we know they're slow and don't have the endurance of Humans, but given their strength, you'd feasibly be able to strap thick enough steel plates to one to make him bulletproof. Plate-armoured Orcs with machineguns being used as stormtroopers and grenadiers would be cool.

Obviously it was the Japanese Orcs/Oni that were doing the Banzai charges.

Japan had a small population of Orcs they called Oni, which features prominantly in their history and folklore. They were eventually hunted to extinction by Samurai seeking a cause to justify their own existence as the Samurai fell out of historical relevance.

Imperial Japan was xenophobic. Dont forget that. They wouldnt have tolerated the fantasy races very well.

>I doubt they could afford Will Smith
Nothing of value would be lost.

Most of the elfs looked like extras from the Hunger Games but this guy was Veeky Forums as fuck with his gorget.

He was a very intense character that would have benefited the most from a series, in my opinion. I bet a lot of footage an exposition about/around/for/from him is on a cutting room floor.

Good point. Presumably the same could be said about the Nazis.

Orcs would be absolute terrors in urban warfare, Stalingrad would have been doubley brutal for the Wehrmacht if half the Red Army troops were capable of tearing an SS man's arm off and beating him to death with the soggy end.

Netflix make their shit via algorithm, the pitch that got the greenlight from their data-mining AI was 'Will Smith Buddy Cop Movie', a straight pitch of 'Fantasy Buddy Cop Movie' would have got nowhere.

The Nazis were just a short lived regime, though. Japan has been some variety of xenophobic at basically every point of its history.

That said, its likely at least some of the fantasy races would have been caught up in the Nazi purges. I wonder if they would have targetted Elves for threatening the aryan claim to be the master race. Nazis in this world could easily have been human supremacists.

Do we see any dwarfs? I don't remember seeing any dwarfs.

I think they gassed all the dwarfs.

Isn't the text on the gorget some short of Elf supremacy shit? Plenty of Elves in Elf city wearing the same gorget.

Consider that Smith keeps brining his son along on his contracts to give him a career.

Now consider the existence of Neo Yokio.

Smith might do a series if it means Jaden gets one too.

One is in the locker room at the LAPD.

Presumably there are others too.

>It's not really about the specific location, it's just the style

I want to see orcs in dashikis and kaftans.

Ah, I must have overlooked that one.

Yes. The gorget is written in Tolkiens elvish script.

"Elves Above All, Above All Elves"

Which can be read as 'Elves are the best, and Im best of the Elves'

>Orcs would be absolute terrors in urban warfare, Stalingrad would have been doubley brutal for the Wehrmacht if half the Red Army troops were capable of tearing an SS man's arm off and beating him to death with the soggy end.

This is the best thing that could ever come out of Bright.

The nazis would have hated orcs, no matter how much military advantage it would bring to integrate them. These are the idiots who would have killed Einstein rather than use his research for their war effort.

I can see the soviets being all oppressive to the orcs before the war, then suddenly turn around when they needed soldiers before purging the hell out of their or populations afterwards.

>Comrade orc, as en equal among good comrades we give your orcs the honor of attacking first. This has the bonus of letting you be first to discover enemy minefields and machine gun nests. You will be pioneers, we are always very envious.

So was that dragon domesticated, are they just harmless things in this setting, or do people even in major cities have to deal with the existential threat of a dragon attack?

>Dwarf
>Overlooked

> orcs grit their teeth and deal with the brutal casulties because they have been promised equality and redemption in the soviet union for their service
> get butchered afterwards and forced to flee to America after giving it their all for years
> orcs try the same thing in the states, fighting in Vietnam. Sadly, it was still Vietnam.

Being an orc is suffering.

That butthurt LAPD cop in the locker room mentioned his ancestors a thousand years ago killing Orcs in Russia by the thousand. I wonder if Russia would have had a large Orcish population. Their stocky frames and muscle mass would certainly make them well adapted for the cold, like Neanderthals.

Given Russian serfdom and how beneficial Orcs would have been in both primitive industry and farm labour, I could see Orcs as maybe being the bulk of the serf population, ruled over by an Elven or Human nobility until the revolution. The Communist Party might well have been heavily Orcish.

Which would certainly have aided the Nazis in further othering the Russians. If you can convince people Slavs are subhuman and deserving of enslavement, displacement and extermination, it would be even easier to do if most of them had tusks.

>Being an orc is suffering.

>youtube.com/watch?v=hpiIWMWWVco

>What is your opinion on how orcs, elves and fairies are depicted in it?
Interesting integration, if a little disappointing and stereotypical on the surface. Then you realize how absolutely FUCKED things must be if the elves have a fucking armed presence keeping their district of the city cordoned off. Like, holy shit. The movie benefits heavily from repeat viewings, in my opinion. The script itself isn't exactly groundbreaking, but I do feel that the setting has potential, and the movie actually underplays this and other things. Elves are absolute freaks. Weird eyes, ever-so-slightly pointed teeth, speedy terrors. Orc tribal principles mesh surprisingly well with the kind of streetwise integrity a romanticized gang would have. What exactly is the racism situation? What's happened with the wands and Brights throughout history, aside from the Dark Lord? I feel that it's worth exploring. I'm excited for a sequel, and I might try to adapt this into a game setting.

I liked the Elves. They didn't just make them pretty humans with pointed ears, the teeth and eyes made them unsettling even before you saw them take apart a human SWAT team, they didn't have them be balanced like a lot of settings do i.e. elves are fast or agile but also small or weak. Elves were just straight-up superior to both orcs and humans in this.

Script wasn't anything special but their world-building was impressive, the open sequence alone said so much.

>Sargon of Akkad.
Who becomes a Youtuber after that.

I got the impression that the inferni weren't your average run of the mill elf.

>There was a 2 minute video on the history of magic.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention, it answered a lot of questions (and raised more). Thought it was pretty funny how they used footage from the film for the video and just had "DRAMATIZATION" blinking on the screen.

You say that, but then you have things like black ss regements, and hittlers obsession with Muslims
It all depends what the orcs were to hittler.

So we have 9 races.
Orcs, Humans, Elves, Centaurs, Dwarves, Lizardmen.
What are the other 3 races?

halflings and there's a very strange one too.

Giants, Goblins, and something called a Panahu.

>a very strange one
What?

Panahu. We literally know nothing about them except their name.

People are guessing they are something asian folklore inspired.

pbs.twimg.com/media/Cr4nqNDUIAEhrhA.jpg:large

>black ss regements
Lol wut? Never was such a thing.

>hittlers obsession with Muslims
The guy wrote, or at least signed, a few letters to the grand mufti in Iraq praising muslims. He wanted the mufti to engineer an uprising that would cause problems for the British. It is not recorded the guy ever cared about muslims apart from that. It was all about the jews with Hitler.

When were giants, goblins and dwarves seen or introduced in the movie? I don't remember it uh

Oh man imagine WWI orc regiments fighting in the trenches. All of the humans are armed with clubs, shovels, and small knives meanwhile the orcs have actual axes and warhammers for when the enemy advance comes over the wall.

Supposedly he had a scene where his feds faced off with the evil elves and his partner got killed. Definitely more to this guy than what we got.

>wake up early to get ready for the day
>take shower, sharpen tusks, daily routine
>turn on weather channel while making breakfast
>mfw dragon attack on I-5
>4 hours late
>fired by knife ear boss
>fuck this gay middle earth

Nazis would have integrated elves as best as they could and relegated Orcs to a seperate homeland.

>gorget
I noticed lots of elves wearing them. As an avid B5 fan and a Centaurifag, I greatly approved.

Orcs seemed to be more of a mix of general lower class sneakerheads, american football-fans and biker-esque metalheads. Shit, they don't really do basketball at all because orcs can't jump for shit, but they dominate football, and the orcish equivalent of rap is heavy metal.

Yeah, but at least Neo Yokio is good.

>there wasn't any moments I felt like there was an infodump going on.

I felt like the interrogation scene with the Shield of Light guy was just a hamfisted exposition part of the movie.

I really just want to see what Jacoby does further as a character, Ward was incredibly unlikable

What? You like fairies or somethin?

You think Bright will be relevant in October for Halloween? Orcs are my jam in every setting and I have a ton of Panthers jerseys/one pair of baggy jeans.

I’m white, but built, so I’m ready for negroes coming at me with “blackface” accusations

It really seems like a lot was cut out, that elf guy at the end held himself like he did a lot more in the film and when Will held the sword the camera focused on him longer than normal along with the scene where they where in cuffs just happens for a bit and then they get uncuffed and the fact that people who didn't know if they where brights just grabbed the wand with their bare hands shows that it was a different movie when shot to when final editing took place and a lot of important scenes are missing.

Looks like Ogres are Cyclopses

And Panahu just look ridiculous

See if anyone is talking about the movie in two weeks at your workplace. If people take a second to remember the movie when you bring it up or if they don't know what you're talking about at all, there's no way it's going to be relevant come October. That said, do you for Halloween just make sure you have a 5 minute plot synopsis ready for anyone that asks who you are.

Unless you do it in bad taste by actually acting like a Chris Rock esque "nigga" you should be fine.

Ward’s interactions with Jacoby are nearly solely shitting all over him for about an hour of screen time. Literally the first time in over an hour of screen time Jacoby stands up for himself Ward gets all fanny flustered and even more aggressive.

Ward was an unlikeable bully.

I think the people grabbing the wand were just supposed to be stupid, so desperate for a wishstick that they forgot, and/or arrogant enough to think they might be brights.

Wait a minute, that's ten races!

Maybe even more if there are rares and endangereds damn

>War of the Nine Races

So either it was named that way because only nine of the races actually took part in it, or they named it after everyone who allied themselves to fight the orcs making it nine races vs one.

To be fair he's operating under the assumption his partner let the guy that shot him go.

Yea but movies work on the understanding that there's going to be an audience. They don't show characters having to take shits because we don't want to see it and they should know that we as an audience already know Jakoby didn't actually do that. The fact that everyone says Ward is a dick instead of understanding where he was coming from shows that they did a poor job, unless their intention was to make the protagonist unlikeable.

Fair point. I just thought it was genuinely excessive though. Like literally every interaction was snide sarcasm or open hostility. If the writers wanted me to like Ward, they wouldn’t let me know Jacoby was innocent right off the bat

Cosmo as a modern day Necronomicon makes WAY too much sense.

This movie was just a politicized race-baiting reskin over a standard fantasy setting. All you had to do was watch the trailer to know this. Don't act surprised.

Are these canon or fan-made? Are they related to Bright at all or just fit the theme?

It was called the ARMY of Nine Races, not the War. Orcs were the 10th race who sided with the Dark Lord.

Shit my bad

The Elves have the most magic users so they did to Bright Earth what Europeans did to ours.

NO one cared about Muslims till oil was discoerved there.

You see punk orcs too. Since they're on the outskirts of society they probably fall into the relevant outsider culture in their area. Ghetto/punk/skinhead or whatever.

Rolled 28 (1d100)

Rollan to see if qt centaurs and hoerspussy will be in the sequel. Please give this to me. . .

They look like cutebolds apparently.

They seem to be walrus-men, so they might be some kind of inuit-esque people. A vast majority of their US population probably resides in Alaska.

I feel you, my friend.

Any other settings like this?

a swat team isn't your average run of the mill human.

Daddy

Wait, what traditional game is being discussed here?