TRPG shows and podcasts

Are there any "canon" podcasts (does not have to be animated at all) other than Harmonquest?
To put it into context, I strongly disliked Harmon and Erin's characters (particularly the self-depreciation, "no diplomacy", and singing), but the GM, the goblin, and all except like one or two of the guests were pretty amazing or funny, even when they did not seem to know how to play very well (I have heard less nice things about the guests, so I guess my bar is not very high).
I kind of liked how fast it was to get into for a new viewer, but at times it felt a bit too not fleshed out or perhaps condensed, and each episode was a bit on the shorter side.
(I suppose experience-wise I am on the level of having played/watched d&d be played once or twice back when I was 14 or so, if that would heavily affect a viewers experience of a podcast)

I hear Critical Role is a bit more formal and involved, but I worry that (was it 4?) four hours an episode might make it a bit more inaccessible for somebody who no longer has all the time in the world.

I have heard thrilling intent and adventure zone mentioned though not much more than that as to how they compare.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LQR8s-FwrwU
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM-HN-1Cf8rjIGS4bm2FGTZDM0NXjcERD
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Erin was actually a lot better in Season 2

I like The Adventure Zone

The Adventure Zone is the common favorite of many, they do 50-90 minute podcasts. It's not commonly talked about, but I dig Dungeons & Randomness, though it is also long form and the first arc is best. Dice Funk is short, and has been fine so far.

Adventure Zone is a good mix of goofy jokes and actual story. The ending gets, how do I put it, eh. You'll see, it's really about the journey and not the destination, some of the episodes were probably the most funny stuff I heard in a podcast form.

That said, i don't think I will ever forget the Lup fiasco. That one comment was so weird, awkward and uncomfortable. I would think those bois would knew better as far as character presentation goes.

What comment ?

seems like adventure zone might be worth trying to invest in then. Thanks.

I actually started at the second before watching the first, so now that you mention it I might have noticed most of it in the first season.

Warning: the creators are loud, obnoxious faggots firmly and deeply in the pockets of the worst type of hysterical sjw fags tumblr has to offer.

I did, but I dropped it around the start of The Suffering Game. The highs were real fun, but I just can not fucking stand some of the shit Griffin does as a DM.

That one time they stopped the show in the middle of the story to address the listeners to let them know that Lup is a male to female transgender. It never came up in the story or had any relation to her character. It was done in a such a weird and awkward way too.

Almost as bad as when they went into a whole shpiel about how some tumblrites headcanons of Takko and Lup were as Mexicans (in a fantasy world). Apparently some losers had a shit fit that the fantasy-headcanon-mexicans we're named Takko and chaLupa and they "had" to address it.

So pretty much, if you hear the words "and I want to take a second to..." from Griffon, skip forward a few minutes. Good time then.

I'm surprised no one cared that Tacco had a stereotype gay voice and then later was revealed to be gay. Like, I hate sjw shit but even I thought that was kinda low brow and predictable, but I guess sjws didn't care.
Figures, those people are among the most bigoted, sexist and racist people in the western world.

Remember user, if you preach that you are against such things then you are free to do it to those you label as such because you're on the right side of history after all. :^)

Any of you have any advice for someone who is hoping to make a TRPG podcast?

Play something other when DnD. Keep things fun, jokes are good but also don't forget about the story and remind players to play their characters.
I would also love to listen to a VtM game podcast, i feel like that would land better into the formate when the standard rpg dungeon crawling

Make sure your content is actually engaging. RPGs move slowly, so you need to make sure the audience is engaged and willing to invest time and attention into it.

Anyone a fan of TFS at the table? Was bored one day and decided to watch it, its fun. Mostly cause I like Zito in his mischief. Which speaking of, The unexpectables was another fun one from taka's channel.

>Have an interesting group of players that don't have a shit ton of inside jokes.
Nothing grates on me harder than when some asshole's pilot is introduced by some inside joke that they all laugh about as if we should want to understand. I get it. You fucks are tight, go have fun playing your tabletop romp to a handful of people who are willing to stomach your insiders-only mentality.

I've dropped so many casts because they expect me to want to be interested in them and don't try to *make* me.

>Dramatics are cool, but the start is for meeting players.
In-depth worlds are interesting, but I'm not coming to read a book. Storytime is for episode 4 when I care how the team reacts.

>I don't mind if you homebrew.
So many casts are stagnant because half-orc barbarian or elf ranger are easy and nobody will rules-bitch if you use PHB. Some homebrew spices things up and people that care don't really mind.

>Have an interesting location.
People get tired of generic forested Pallet Town with friendly locals. Start shit up in the Frozen North, in Mordor, traveling through the Underdark.

Please no more joke settings.
If there is a cam, I want to see the game map over faces.
Don't feel obligated to have the token girl.

Yeah it's surprisingly good once you get past the slow initial session, and I say this as a vocal Ziti hater. My only real complaint is that they use critical fumbles, but that seems to be endemic to podcasts since it's such an easy comedy prompt.

No fucking politics
Avoid women as much as possible
Try for genuine investment in story or characters or whatever, not goofy shit
A little goofy shit, just a bit
No fucking politics holy shit

Specifically, no real-life politics. But also don't advertise a dungeon crawler and have 10 episodes of nothing but diplomacy.

Right, highly political settings are fun. Just make sure someone gets hit with something at some point, or at least insults someone's parents.
Only politics you should get into is no women. Don't bring those in there. Just awful.

Get a group and get doing videos. its what I've done. Gaining any kind of audience is difficult. and yes, avoid D&D, everyone and their mum plays D&D.

Also work on your quality, I.e not having ASS tier mics.

check it, because I'm a massive faggoty shill and I've waited years to do something like it.
youtube.com/watch?v=LQR8s-FwrwU
Also, in what way do they 'expect' you to be interested in them?

I like Dungeons and Randomness. People never mention them in these threads though so I assume there's something about them I don't know about.
They kind of lost their charm once they had a million groups and added so many lame women but they're still pretty good. Got a bit SJW with the addition of the women, but not too bad.

Groups, especially gaming groups (vidya, table, or other), always have this notion that they are the best damn thing since sliced bread. Every other group is inferior so (of course) I'm interested in them. Why would I not be?

What do you mean "canon"? As in canon to whatever setting they're playing in??

I like Role Playing Public Radio, Drunk and Ugly, and One Shot.
"Canon" in the sense that people(in the community) consider these podcasts good/the standard.

I can imagine the sense of ego that will come the moment one has ten subscribers. If anything, that STA series is probably using the worst parts of my own GM style, as my NPCs and politics suck balls.

Yeah I don't blame you for falling off in that arc. The Suffering Game was just structured bad from the get go.

I'm always afraid to get into podcasts or RPG shows in case they start getting retarded and politically. Used to be back in the day you could just enjoy something, now everywhere you go internet personalities have to spout some shit about how white people are the devil or the liberals want to take muh guns or whatever. It's happened several times and just ruins it for me.

We need more radical centrist podcasts.

We're to the day where not taking sides is radical. Dome me.

>"Canon" in the sense that people(in the community) consider these podcasts good/the standard.

Veeky Forums autism strikes again

Personally I'd rather these bullshit ideologies out of the hobby and only reserve them for experimentation and themes within settings, dealt as an even hand.

We need more podcasts where people are open-minded and humble if they absolutely have to include some political bullshit OR preferably just shut up about it. But yeah like said at this point you're basically called an extremist if you're not on the far side of the spectrum.
Either way I didn't intend to say anything about politics, just that it's incredibly frustrating how you can dedicate so much time as a fan to following some internet thing like a pen and paper podcast only to find out the members are idiots who feel the need to make some "clever" commentary and/or probably hate you for not agreeing with them.

If you like Shadowrun and podcasts, then I suggest Crit Squad, Complex Action and Tales From the Stuffer Shack.

I haven't kept up with them after a couple episodes into season 2, the Daegon finale bothered me and pretty much ended my will to continue, unless they brought back the OG cast. They won't though.

D&R is good all around, but my favorite characters got fucked and I'm still salty about Thoril and Ironhide.

Any issue with critical fumbles? I see it as a way to cause tension in a fight, or a moment of humor to enjoy the absurdity of what the hell just happened, buts that is just me, how bout you? Also I didn't know zito gets some hate, any reason why?

Good sound quality and a nice hook are good choices. You also need to find some way to get your podcast out there and might involve some shilling. There's actually a lot of groups doing podcasts/streams so standing out can be difficult.

Yeah... trying to do that with mine but yeah, suck with the whole networking crap.

Being wrong is human my dude. and you shouldn't take the opinions of someone on a pen and paper podcasts ideas about politics, go to someone more well read. At best GMs know power politics and story-telling politics and should focus more on those.

Man I hate shilling, I prefer shitposting.

Crit Squad is good stuff. I don't even know how to play Shadowrun and it's too good to question.

They turn otherwise competent people into bumbling idiots with regular consistency and since D&D derivative systems tend to have characters get more attacks when they level up you increase this chance. Also they usually involve stabbing yourself with your weapon instead of just being knocked down or disarmed which is very strange.

Link to your podcast?

I'm same user from here Swapped computers for more portable shitposts.
Partys got a Wammin, a Slav and a Furry, Enjoy

Critical fumbles are indeed stupid. Imagine everything you do has a 5% chance of totally fucking up in a stupid comedic fashion, even if you were an expert in said field

Thrilling Intent is good, but non-standard. The episodes are all 20 minutes to an hour, its humorous and character-based, but you will almost never hear them call for or roll dice. However, its all in-character and they break up each storyline into a series of episodes with distinct headers and numbered, which makes it very easy to keep track of where you are in the story.
They do not have a strong opening arc, however. I do recommend starting at the beginning, due to later plot ramifications. They've got a video addressing this issue. All the visuals are roll20 maps with custom art and tokens.
The people who do Thrilling Intent also record livestreams of their playing more obscure games, like Upwind, Ryuutama and Golden Sky Stories. Worth checking out if you like their voices and want to see how those games play.
And their Tomb of Horrors comedy rewrite, Tomb of Horses, is pretty decent, if you can stand Pathfinder.

Having a 5% chance to completely fuck up any action even a little less than routine up to the point of killing yourself is real dumb. It can be amusing, like when an abyssal zombie in its mindless hunger pulled out its own brain in the finale, but most of the time it's just awful. Also Zito has an annoying voice, his memestreams sucked, and early on he was just all about how much of a jew yorker he is. I don't mind him so much now that he's just a DM, which is good since now I can continue to focus my hate on Kirran.

Well, you can't love everyone. Then again I don't mind Zito and his voice since it just reminds me of New York when I was there. So since it seems fumbles are not a favored mechanic, what does one do when you hit an nat 1? Roll for disadvantage? I'm curious is all.

For D&D? its just a failure.

I really like the Third Wheel, they've got a bunch of humourous elements with nice character development moments. The fanbase is Tumblr incarnaye though, the only thing good about it is the quality art they sometimes put out.

I saw the trek uniform, is that one of the fabled Chakats?

He's playing a centauroid race... but no, that is not a Chakat, he finds them utterly cancerous

One of the players came out as trans, so there wasn't any doubt what sort of audience it would attract. And there's a slew of gay characters and one that's canonically pan. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth

I guess if we're shilling podcasts, especially Star Trek Adventures ones, I'll drop one I'm involved in:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM-HN-1Cf8rjIGS4bm2FGTZDM0NXjcERD

There's another STA game by the same GM on that same channel. Both games end up replacing a player near the beginning, but otherwise I think they're a fairly decent watch.

Sounds good my dude.

I'm surprised no one mentioned The film reroll podcast yet, they basically play through movies as if it was a campaign, the GM does extensive search (pic related is the jumanji board from the jumanji episode which is one of my favorite), it's done by actors who have great voices, the female player is actually funny, they're pretty fun people who don't mind cursing, and they're using GURPS.

>GURPS
Well thats going to be a sleeper hit with Veeky Forums

But everything you do (and dont do) is political.

Everything is sexist, everything is racist, and you have to point it all out or you are too.

>so now that you mention it I might have noticed most of it in the first season.

Season 1 was most of it. It came across like she was trying really hard to be funny but ended up going to far so you got shit like "lol I ripped out your friends bones." Season 2 has her in a much reduced role too.