What is your preferred race to play in D&D and why?

What is your preferred race to play in D&D and why?

Please note if you don't play D&D you don't need to reply to this thread.

Objective fantasy race tier list

GOD TIER
Humans

GOOD TIER
Dwarves
Halflings
Orcs

OKAY TIER
Gnomes
Half-Breeds

SHIT TIER
Elves
"Dark" Versions of Above Races
Furry Races (Cat Men, Wolf Men, Rat Men, Lizardmen, etc)
Meme Non-Races (Skellingtons, Wookies, etc)

SNOWFLAKE TIER
Literally everything too special to not be listed already

Worst opinion.

Surely the god tier would be actual gods in a fantasy setting.

>elves in shit tier
Sindar pls

t. Boring person

Just let yourself be a fucking Elf and have fun with it you piece of shit.

>Skellington
>Meme
I've got a bone to pick with you

>GOD TIER
>Races I like
>SHIT TIER
>Races I've heard memes about

Ftfy.

Dunno, really. I tend to switch around a lot to try different things. Unfortunately I tend to DM more than play, so I haven't been able to do that as much as I'd like - not helped by the fact that whenever I am playing I'm not usually playing D&D. In fact while I've DM'd D&D a lot, I've only played it once. My character was a human-raised drow elf who utterly lacked any kind of angst or edginess. As a contrast, for the next campaign (set in Ravenloft) I'm rolling up a dhampir with MAXIMUM EDGE. After that I think the next time I'll be playing is for a Tomb of Annihilation run, where I plan on rolling up a human.

In various Star Wars games I've had four characters; three were Human and one was a Falleen.

In Vampire: the Masquerade I've played a Toreador and a Caitiff.

The only races I really can't stand are Gnomes and Halflings. I've seen well-played elves, tieflings, even (god help me) borderline furries. I have never been able to put up with the self-absorbed little shits that enjoy Gnomes. Halflings aren't as bad, but they ended up getting all the shit Dwarves do for being short, yet get none of the dignity, and I've seen a lot of players give up on the little buggers over it, so I hate them purely for their derailing campaigns ability.

I dig Orcs and Gnomes. Muls are pretty dope too.

>I tend to switch around a lot to try different things

For clarity, this refers to D&D games I thought I was going to be playing in but never got a chance to for one reason or another. One was a half-elf urban barbarian; another was going to be a human Sorcerer with an efreeti bloodline.

Kobolds, because I like the lore which is basically the same across all D&D settings and they're a fun underdog and inventor race. They're a lot less neat and professional like gnome tinkerers and more like scavengers that macgyver traps and weapons together. Plus, it's fun to be racist against gnomes and blame your racism on them for screwing over your god.

I'm alright with halflings but I'm there with you on gnomes, hate 'em.

this is probably the most autistic image I've evet seen

It's also hard for me to personally take them seriously. They're just such an obvious Hobbit reference that it feels comical.

Wrong based off the fact that Duergar and Svirfneblin are cool.

Revised for non-shit people:

GOD TIER
Humans
Halflings
Dwarves
Orcs

GOOD TIER
Elves
Half Elves
Half Orcs

OKAY TIER
Gnomes
Dragonborn
Warforged
Undead of any already mentioned

SHIT TIER
Tieflings
Furries
Remaining undead

SNOWFLAKE TIER
Everything else

Technically their god dicked over the kobold god(who wasn't a god yet). But yeah, gnomes are terrible(unless I've been convinced to play one, then they are master race for that campaign because it's fun to be an arrogant little jerk with ados).

Humans. Because they tend to be open to the most interesting RP elements based on nations, upbringings, and so on whereas other races tend to be pushed into specific niches.

You need to be at least 18 to post on Veeky Forums, user.

Dark races live in OKAY TIER, playstyle may bump them up or down a tier

you're probably the most autistic person I've ever seen

>seen

STOP HACKING MY WEBCAM YOU PERVERT.

GIVE US THE TITS user.

As a player, I tend to lump elves and half-elves together as my preferred race, though I rarely treat them as the same thing.

As a GM, many of my more random or singular NPCs are either dwarves or gnomes.

I like humans and most of my characters are humans. But then again, most of my characters are the same personality and alignment too though, so I think I'm just a creature of habit.

I play elves or half elves too though, and usually have them grow up in a human city and perhaps feeling a bit out of place, and have very human mannerisms.

>GOD TIER
>Halflings

Elan, Caligni, half-elves, and Catfolk (mi'qote, or mithra). Sometimes the occasional tiefling (oni, kyton, or qlippoth spawn).

No, they aren't optimal. they are fun.

Where are these characters from?

One of my favorite videogames called Bloodborn

I tend to play human to force myself to define my character through distinct personality and role playing. There's a tendency among a few people I know for group dynamics to devolve into other characters being called "Elf", or "Dwarf", which often shows poor characterisation.

if you don't like lizardmen GTFO

>Not enjoying being able to turn into a literal angel.
I'm disappointed in you all. Aasimar for life.

>being a Mary Sue
Dung Beetles have better taste than you.

People with low imagination and bad rollplaying skills have an easier time applying elements to humans you mean.

Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, Halfling.
In no particular order.

How is being an angel a mary sue? its not good at everything, its just awesome.

I like dwarves a lot, but orcs and lizardfolk are cool too

I actually like tieflings, they're a fun race to roleplay as, i like playing someone whose basically treated like a monster amongst humans but sees themselves as such regardless

Its the stereotypical edgelock tiefling players that are the issue.

I basically like humans any half human though, i feel like people are more tolerant of defying expectation with those races.

Wood elves come are the best non-human race though, i like elves as in nature aligned magic men, its a very interesting contrast to basically all the races except gnomes.

I like thinking about how people who live in forests feel about towns and cities.

>orcs
>higher tier than half-orcs
factually wrong. I don't think ther'es a single edition where purebreeds aren't outright inferior.

Depending on class I normally play Humans, Half Elves, Half Orcs, or Tieflings

>he wants to be an angel
>not the dali lama
pleb tier tastes

>Gnomes
>okay

opinion disregarded

>gods are a race in his setting

What are the Titans, Greek Pantheon, etc.

I know it might be kinda 'snowflake'-y, but the Warforged have always been my favorite race.
I like artifice and construct creatures in fantasy settings.

faggots

Centaurs.
High int centaurs.

I don't really have a preferred race to play as. I'm one of those dweebs who enjoys making character concepts that both myself and the DM can work with, so I spitball ideas cooperatively as I assemble my sheet. Whatever race I end up playing as wholly relies on the setting and the party makeup (I do my best not to be the third of any race knowingly), and I don't pay attention to a race's stats for the sake of having a good build unless it's a fun character concept. I'm an idort.

Humans because there's a huge variety of personalities they can have instead of all being clones of some Lord of the Rings character.

I'm very versatile in what I've played. I don't really have a favorite race. I just think up a character concept and go with it.

Right now I'm playing a dwarf fighter whose sole reason for leaving home is because he wants to become the most renowned sommelier in the world. So far he's been responsible for two vintners' deaths and the burning down of three seperate vineyards. All accidents, of course.

Elf. Being able to use swords and bows out of the gate on a wizard has always been a thing I'm down with.
In 4e I liked Eladrin.

>Not replacing Aasimar and Tieflings with a race of extremely low-ranking gods
It's like you hate the myriad gods

>Diluting the meaning and importance of divinity by handling it over to a bunch of impotent snowflakes

A god without power is just a dumb spirit

You misunderstand. In my setting, the major gods are equivalent to powerful kings. This is on purpose

If you have to have gods, making them a bunch of impotent snowflakes is better than making them a handful of omnipotent snowflakes who negate any reason for PCs to exist.

Modron

What exactly prevents your dumb race of godling from being squished under the soles of those who are actually worthy and having their divine essence stolen?

>PCs need to surpass the gods to exist

dumbshit or bait

Their divine essence isn't all that great without training (also known as having an adventuring class)

>Gnomes, not shit tier
Aside from being an always superfluous halfway between dwarf and halfling, and having universely garbage cultures, Gnomes are actually fully shit in 5e.

At last, someone with taste

You are aware that it only makes them more attractive targets right?, if a powerful person wants to become a god what is a better way than to go to catch some twerp who possesses the divine spark because of technicalities and pry it away from him?

I don't agree with much of what you had to say but I do agree 100% that all crypto-furry races are disgusting. Not beastmen/ratmen because they are generally horrific and repulsive, but cat/fox/wolf/dragon people are always *always* just furfaggotry in light disguise and sicken me.

I mean, if you want to change your race, ok, sure. That's all it would do.

There's no reason for PCs to exist if the gods could just solve every problem with their god powers.

high elf; I enjoy the "noble, superior approaching perfect" pathos when used for heroic characters. I generally play wizardly characters, too, which usually aligns with elven characteristics.

Firbolg but the older versions not 5e

You bet your ass any strong character is going to change his race into one that posseses the potential for divinity by default

Bait it is

>I don't have a counterargument so I'm just gonna call it bait

I think you're missing it. Even the most powerful gods are basically equivalent to a powerful adventurer of another race.

So all the "gods" in your setting are just lvl 20 adventurers?

More or less. A "god" is named as such because they have an innate connection to the world and can influence it by directing the faith and wishes of other races through rituals. This influence is, ultimately, nothing that cannot be achieved with other magics or innovations. For that reason, the gods have lost their place among the races of the world, and are now seen as relics of a bygone age.

well, I "prefer" elves; just standard high elves/moon elves

that said, I often play humans

You'd seldom catch me other than human or orc. Dwarves are cool. Halflings are pretty cool too. I will probably never play a D&D elf. Gnomes are shit. Tieflings are even more shit.

Dragonborns are cool, but the meme of them laying eggs is a bit too much for me. Makes me imagine every female Dragonborn as a scaly Ms. Fowl from Jimmy fucking Neutron. Yeah, they're supposed to be like dragons, but they have boobs for shit's sake.

Anything that ends in a horse, really.

Depends on the setting, but I play a lot of humans and gnomes.

>halfway between dwarf and halfling
You're thinking about them wrong. They're basically the halflings of the elves. (Which may not change your opinion one bit.)

Hello me.

I have considered other non-elf fae type races though like the Firbolg recently to the point that should my current PC die my back-up is a Firbolg Warlock.

>GOD TIER
>Humans

>GOOD TIER
>Dwarves
>Halflings
>Elves

>OKAY TIER
>Gnomes
>Half-Breeds

>SHIT TIER
>"Dark" Versions of Above Races
>Furry Races (Cat Men, Wolf Men, Rat Men, Lizardmen, etc)
>Meme Non-Races (Skellingtons, Wookies, etc)

>LE EBIN SNOWFLAKE MEME (MAGA) TIER
>Literally everything too special to not be listed already

Dude, this is a very easily solved problem. Gods throughout history have usually always had ridiculous, nigh unlimited power. However, there are plenty of reasons why they wouldn't interfere and solve every problem.

They want to see their followers prevail through adversity, and have their loyalty and virtue show through.

Or they could be like the morally ambiguous Greek gods where they are constantly changing their minds over whose cause they are for, usually decided by who has the best offering.

Either way, you can easily have traditional, ultra-powerful gods without making it plot-breaking.

The solution being the problems are caused by the gods and their god power doing dumb deity shit.

When they are allowed and make sense for the world I like playing monster races. Grippli, Kobold etc. It's fun playing something different.

Otherwise I play Half-Orcs a lot.

Depends on what class you're playing and on which setting you're playing in.
In general though, I prefer races with a dex bonus.

Either humans or any bird-related races.

Historically my most played race is human but I have a soft spot for specifically Pathfinder/3.5/pre4e Tieflings. I've never really been a fan of how 4E and 5E did Tieflings and liked the storytelling and variety potential that came from the old "hint of devil blood in your family somewhere" Tiefling.

Aside from that I dabble, depends on the character idea and what helps the party and is ideal for the class I'm rolling.

Human variant
I like feats
Dwarfs are alo fine

Generic elves, though never drow because I'm just not a fan of them. I usually enjoy characters with good dex and being able to use swords and bows regardless of class is always great.

I don't play D&D and elves are my favorite. You can't stop me

Depends on the setting.
Like to stretch my abilities and play unusual or custom to setting races during one shots and short campaigns.

Halfling wizards are my favorite. Fuck gnomes though.

I don't usually play D&D, but I prefer dragonborn for the innate weapon breath.

What ever comboes with my main stats, tbvh.

Human.

Tieflings and half-orcs should not be core.

Kobolds.

I really enjoy how they automatically make any class you want to play also a sneaky stealthy class, regardless of if that class is supposed to be sneaky. They also completely break any DEX based class.

In addition, I think they look good and are just plain fun to play and generally offer interesting backstory and motivation opportunities.

what are some rules on multi race mixed breeds? like instead of just a half demon, or half dragon. why not a human/demon/dragon? were already into major special snowflake with half breeds, why shouldnt my OC donut steel have 4 sets of wings from angels, demons, dragons, and fey?

I love playing gish characters ever since the Red Mage of Final Fantasy, so anything that has some sort of casting ability. Elves and Tieflings are my main bag.

Excuse me, good sir, but I do believe you've missed the toppers tier in which Goliaths reside. Thank you for your time

Lizardfolk - because best druids
kobolds - because intresting backstories
gnolls - was my most memorable character
Warforged - Come one, constructs are cool

From core - yeah...if you play human, don't play D&D, go play system where you have no cool options...dragonborns are ok...but I prefer better characters, tieflings, maybe if I can pull one of as non-edgy guy...others...nope...well maybe dwarfs because meta-game