/5eg/ Lich Edition Anonymous 01/02/18(Tue)08:30:36 No.57214457▶>>57215504 >>57218010 >>57222353

/5eg/ Lich Edition Anonymous 01/02/18(Tue)08:30:36 No.57214457▶ >Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
Lich Thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Syq5uCtmG
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thanks so much for your advice!

>Ripple Breathing
Ya, it is a bit much, isn't it. I think I'm going to change it to "Your unarmed strikes count as radiant for overcoming resistances of undead and fiendish creatures" like the Zombie undead fortitude. This sorta get replaced by the level 9 feature, but not entirely. If you have some other suggestion, that would be great (maybe some effect? +1 Radiant damage against Feinds and Undead instead of the d6?)

>Overdrive
I'll throw in the bonus against undead and Feinds here

>Zoom Punch
Ya, it's nice to have, but not super useful

>Healing Hamon
The Martial Arts die +Wis is actully a really good idea! Makes it more of its own thing

>Water Walking
Well, sorta. But they can't end their turn on the water, so it's not fully outclassed. It's mostly a flavor ability anyway

>Metal Silver Overdrive
While that is true, they don't get as much out of it as Kensai. It's good, but needing go drop a Ki point for every encounter, and needing to burn the chance of getting the extra wisdom or dex from ASIs, it's not that great. Plus, would polarm master even be worth it with unarmed strikes being better?

>Rebuff Overdrive
Oh hush you.

>Scarlet Overdrive
I know right? Poor them

>Sunlight Yellow Overdrive
Isn't 4 a lot already? Though I guess you get them back on a half short rest, so would 6 be more appropriate? That's 8 ki points if you also proc Overdrive once. Assuming everything hits and the foe is undead or a fiend, that's 6d6raidiant +4d8 +20 bludenging, which ends up as around 72 damage single target (69 if it's not undead. Assuming 20 Dex). Thats... a lot, but that's nearly all of your ki in one round, adding up to 9 points. Paladins can do similar damage (possibly more with GWM or PAM), and still have Spellslots left. So... Is 6 the right change?

>Sendo Ripple Overdrive
Well...I completely forgot about stunning strike. Maybe up to to paralyzed? Or maybe change it to a wis safe for Fear?

Skulls. Skulls.

Make a tier list.

But of how fun each subclass is.

That's a demi lich you fucking gibbon!

skull

what the fuck did you do to butcher the title in such a way

sorry, never made a thread before.
Have a skull as an apology

GOD TIER
GOO Tomelock

OK TIER
Everything else

What's so great about GOO Tomelock?

Good Tier
Everything but...
Bad Tier
Beastmaster Ranger and Wot4E Monk

Rate my spell list for a Cleric/Wizard 1/9, Forge and Abjuration

why/10

WOT4E monk is still better than berserker (at the very least if you have a devotion paladin on the team), champion for anything but supercritfish builds, wild magic sorcerer...
Heck, it's even better than drunk monk and on par with sun soul monk.

>Ripple Breathing
I think your fist overcoming the undead fortitude feature is good enough. It fits the idea of an Undead killer who can bypass their big feature. Also ignoring the magic weapon requirement for fiends is also good.

>>Metal Silver Overdrive
It was more so due to the GWM. PAM is nice to stack with the GWM, but not necessary as you could just flurry someone as a bonus action. The single point cost is not really that big a deal for a monk at level 6.

So it cost 3 right now, 4 if you also used flurry. So up the cost to 4 for the overdrive. That's 5 with flurry and 6 with Overdrive + Flurry.

>Sendo Ripple Overdrive
Well, Monk's biggest feature is the stunning strike. Paralysis is pretty dang strong, but it is specific to Undead/Fiends. So it might be okay. Also, when does it end on your turn? The start or end?

Good Tier:
Everything not listed
Shit tier:
Shit
Ban this player from all games tier:
Bladesinger

I want to play something a bit different than my current Ancients Paladin.

Should I try out another half(third)-caster with Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster, or just try going full caster with a wizard?

mechanically it may be superior, but barbies are more fun.

>Cleric 1 dip
Fuck off, munchkin. Go play a real abjuration wizard build like warlock-abjurationwizard.

Web is a much better pick than maximillian's earthern grasp unless you don't trust your teammates at all or you're going for a themed build.

just target him with saving throws instead of attacks against his AC

???

>Awakened Mind
>any and all rituals you can get your hands on
>extra cantrips from any class
>great expanded spells
>with all this utility it still remains relevant in combat with EB+AB
>at higher level you can have a permanent telepathic bond with another party member
It's not the strongest class in the game by a long shot, but it's got so many things you can do with it, plus possibly the best utility in the game.

>More fun
>At level 3 you do something you could have done with a feat and make yourself useless
>Level 6 you gain probably the most fun feature in the form of 'uhh, you resist somee shit I guess'

Just because you can beat something doesn't make it less obnoxious to have wizards running around with 27 AC.

Reposting from last thread. Waiting for the feedback from .

as opposed to
>here's a bunch of stuff you'll never fucking use because just punching shit is superior.

>Gaseous form to silently get through the cracks in a second story window reinforced with bullshitmetal is inferior to jumping up and punching it
???

>Web is a much better pick than maximillian's earthern grasp unless you don't trust your teammates at all or you're going for a themed build.

Yeah, Web is cool. But once an enemy moves out, it's ineffective. I like that the hand can keep grasping.
Though I do see the AOE utility of web, multiple targets.

I'll give it some thought.

It takes an entire fucking action to move the hand, and then you can't grab again.
You basically spend an action to make the hand move and then the enemy just moves 5ft out of the way and it's useless.
Web is difficult terrain and covers a wider area which makes it a lot harder to get out of without flying or some shit.

>implying jumping up and through a second story window is the fucking raddest shit ever

>Just up and through -
>Oh no your body doesn't fit
>Guess you'll just have to mope around

WOT4E isn't there to enhance your punches. It's like shadow monk's level 3 but with elemental themed spells.

*isn't! I meant "isn't!" FUCK, I concede. fucking shit damn cunt ass...

>Oh no your body doesn't fit
>implying barbarians give a fuck whether or not they "fit"

>WOT4E isn't there to enhance your punches.
It would not have been too bad to see them have some stuff that enhanced your punches like this homebrew.

Which is more fun:
Arcane Trickster/Bladesinger
Eldritch Knight/War Wizard

and what splits would you do for them? Kinda want to be more caster-y than not.

AT is more fun
EK is more fun
Bladesinger is more fun
War Wizard is more fun
There you go user.

What're they going to do, try to smash the window open?
I already said that the window is probably not destructible. Unless your DM likes to make every problem solvable with 'smash it in and no enemies will hear it anyway'

This is true. WOT4E is littered with trap options, including one that was heavily errataed, and completely betrays expectations when people want to be some sort of cool Avatar monk and instead turns out to be some weird niche utility toolset.
It's not a good design, but it can be servicable if you play it right. Far more servicable than some other shit like wild magic 'ask your DM to make you relevant then kill your team with lolrandom'.

>not destructible
>barbarian
pick one.

Another day, another bladesinger or EK multiclass meme build.

Do EK7/RogueX, full EK with ritual caster or full wizard.

>Plays a barbarian
>Throws a shitfit when their strength that allows them to lift slightly more than a frail wizard doesn't allow them to break literally everything they see with their fists

>being a gishfag
Just play EK or Arcana Cleric

What makes EK/War Wizard a meme build?

>Cleric/Wizard 1/9
Fuck you. Play full wizard with some clerical flavor or go full cleric. Or at very least take more levels in cleric so your dip for heavy armor is less obvious.
Christ.

>playing with a bad dm

EK/War wizard is acceptable but it seems pretty pretentious. It says that you focus on fighting shit for the first 7 levels perhaps, then instead of making yourself better at hurting shit with rogue you start to pick up magical utility that doesn't surpass EK's for four whole levels until you reach wizard5, and at wizard6 you're back on par with EK because EK would have level 3 spells and you also have level 3 spells max, even if you have some more spell slots.

>You need to negotiate with the king
>I CAST SMASH
>You need to sneak through corridor
>I CAST SMASH
>You need to get through forcecage
>I CAST SMASH
>You need to pray for your friend's revival
>I CAST SMASH

Please, barbarian the '8 int so dumb he's just a fucking animal' has been done a million and one times already. Come up with something more interesting.

>Come up with something more interesting.
why? I have already found perfection.

>8 int so dumb he's just a fucking animal
What about '8 int so dumb that he's naive and generally agreeable like a small child'?

Getting better, but even with 8 int there's no reason they have to be what we would call 'dumb', just uneducated. Like a native american elder.

I once played a character that was essentially Ralph Wiggum with a great axe, those were fun times.

Bigot.

Or a Trump voter.

>You learn a ritual that channels and binds your magic to a melee weapon that lacks the two-handed property

This ability reminds me, why do we not have any versatile d8-d10 piercing weapons? Like a Trident should totally be a d8-d10, but nope its just a heavier more expensive Spear.

>Trump Voter
>8 int
that's pretty generous.

I was under the impression that the ability scores denoted intrinsic natural abilities, not learned knowledge.

Or >>>/leftypol/
I realy don't care which.

Actually, in 5e, they cover both explicitly.

"An ability score is not just a measure of innate capabilities, but also encompasses a creature's training and competence in activities related to that ability."

It's a bit of both, really.

You could have 8 int and be smart but with really fucking terrible memory.
You could have 8 int and be heavily educated but be the dumbest fucking rock around with no manipulative powers, like a limited computer that knows facts but doesn't know when to bring up facts.
You could have 8 int and have potential but never received any education at all.
You could have 16 int and know nothing about the area you're in but be an expert of your homeland but you'll immediately be getting to reading books and absorbing, memorizing information as soon as you can.
You could have 8 int and know nothing about the area you're in but be an expert of your homeland but for some reason you have no capacity for learning new things anymore.

You can interpret things a lot of ways, really.

>Ripple Breathing
The problem with Fiends is that monks can overcome that at level 6 anyways. Maybe it should do something slightly better then just do something that gets replaced three levels later anyways? I feel like +1 Radiant damage to unarmed strikes is way too good though. Is it?

Oh lol, I thought it already was 4. Forgot to change that earlier.

>Sendo Ripple Overdrive
It would end on the start of your next turn. 4 free automatic crits is a little busted

I was just about to say "Maybe its because they have the situational advantage of being usable underwater!" then I found out that so do Spears...

What's the point of Tridents again? They are martial weapons that do the exact same thing as a Simple weapon, with absolutely no differences besides costing more, being martial, and being heavier.

Lichdom fucking sucks
I'll be here enjoying my 10,000 years of life as a Druid, in the company of nymphs and dryads feeding me goodberries while watching the splendors of the natural world
Enjoy your 30 years as a dongless monster before getting smashed by a farmer and having your rock thrown into Baator

Or just stop being multiclassing cunts and stick to one class

Idk, I bump it to d8/d10 for my players

aesthetic

>Why doesn't an inferior spear do more damage than a spear?

Oh god it's this fucking meme again. Are we going to make blowguns 2d6 yet?

Enjoy being an unwashed hairy hippie while I just clone myself every 700 years.

Why the fuck to Wizards ever even become Liches anyway? Cloning is 3k gold and you get to be young again

> I feel like +1 Radiant damage to unarmed strikes is way too good though. Is it?

Flat damage is just boring to me. It's not unbalanced its just boring. Also, some fiends and undead are vulnerable to radiant damage so against them changing your damage typing to radiant would already increase your damage.

>It would end on the start of your next turn. 4 free automatic crits is a little busted
Okay, then its not a bad one. Your allies can lay the beat down on the fiends/undead while you paralyse and stun them. Sounds good.

In the words of many people on /5eg/ just reflavor it.

This was a meme? I just noticed it as the Conduit has a quirk that makes them want to use Piercing weapons more, which would technically make it so they are always at a d8 not a d10 like the slashing or bludgeoning guy. Just seemed odd...

How would I best stat the Monkey King?

In my book, Disciple of Life says:

>Whenever you use a spell of 1st level or higher
to restore hit points to a creature, the creature regains additional hit points equal to 2 + the spell’s level.

Did this change with other reprints?

>with their fists
No, with their hammer. There are a lot of problems that can't actually be solved by breaking things, but "the hole is too small" is definitely not one of them.

>This is true. WOT4E is littered with trap options
That's because it's made like a caster's spell list rather than having something like a subclass's ability list. You're definitely allowed to make a spellcaster with nothing but useless, niche, or inefficient shit in their spell's known/prepared.

Like a sorcerer?

Inevitables.

Somewhat new to D&D as a whole. I've got a session coming up on Sunday and needed a bit of advice/some things cleared up if you could help.

We just got to 3rd level last session so we're supposed to have our leveled up characters ready by Sunday. I'm a life cleric, so as far as I can see the new spells(+1 lvl1, and +2 lvl 2) are my only change at 3rd level.
We also received a "holiday gift" from our DM of light magical items. I got a "Channeling cloak" with this description: Once per day, the wearer may ignore either the verbal or somatic components of a spell they are casting. Req Attunement

This seems to be similar to the sorcerer's subtle spell, but once a day. Are there any great Cleric spells where this could be of use, or is it just going to be a mostly situational, but possibly useful addition. Thanks for any advice.

TLDR: lvl 3 Life Cleric help/advice, all appreciated.

Anybody ever used a sound board or sound effects in their games?

This poses a bunch of problems
1. Time is longer than just gassing through.
2. It's noisy as fuck. Have fun telling every single enemy inside that it's time to get down and boogey.
3. Not everything can be broken. There are things that literally by their very description do not give a fuck about you swinging a hammer at them, and that shouldn't come as any surprise. I was going to use forcecage but that's probably a debate in itself - Despite explicitly having gaps in it, forcecage doesn't allow non-magical means to leave the cage and forces a save throw for certain methods such as teleportation. But then RAW, in theory, you can just gaseous form out of the cage with no save.
That aside, it's not unreasonable to expect reinforced shit that can't reasonably broken whether it be from fantasy materials or magic reinforcement or whatever, unless your DM is willing to let you dig through literally everything in a dungeon.
Long, cramped ventilation systems and the like apply too because widening a hundred feet long stretch of tiny space would take forever.

Is sorcerer with a fey heritage a thing? I kind of like the idea of halfling with fey ancestry.

Take a level of druid for goodberry

Bless
Spiritual weapon

Basically the free life cleric spells are all good

It's mostly useless unless you're specifically bound or gagged but not both or you want to cast a spell with only one component without anyone knowing.
Did the others just get stuff like 'weapon that sheds light'?

No, but it should be. Well, unless you count Wild Magic, i guess.

Sure, but indestructible magical force is one of those bullshit things that needs to go away and there's no simpler joy in life than a little creative interior redecorating with a sledgehammer. Yes, it grabs attention, but it's also fun.

>Some friends and undead are vulnerable to radiant
Not really. Only like 2 creatures are, Shadows and Shadow Demons. Then you have stuff like Vampire Regen getting canceled, and undead fortitude on like 3 creatures. That's more of an issue with 5th edition not being very kind with vulnerabilities, but still. I guess I could just have it be "You can decide to deal radiant damage instead of normal damage with your unarmed strikes"

Still think +1 Radiant damage on all unarmed strikes is a little better, and maybe even more interesting for players.

That sounds great, but we're all a mostly new group, so Idk if we can multiclass or anything like that.

I've got bless, and I believe Spiritual weapon is one of the Life domain spells, so I'll have that too!

Dang. I think some of the others I remember are Gloves of snakespeak, a box with an orb that cools the air in a 10 radius to a comfortable chill but not enough to freeze or otherwise provide more than comfort, a pendant that can revive a downed player on touch, but not heal them. The rest I don't really remember they were gifts to the players, so some didnt want to share or they didn't stand out enough for me to remember...

The deal is pretty much anyone can do 'smash shit in'. Not everyone can do flying, though you might have a caster take turns casting 'fly' on people.
A WOT4E monk can theoretically stay in gaseous form forever if they wish and float amongst the clouds.

Sounds about right, then. They're all hopelessly situational flavour/does something that can already be done with mundane items -items.

>Gloves of Snakespeak
No idea what those do. Let's him talk to snakes? Could be fun for RP like once

>Cool Air Box
Pretty useless, but could be nice in a desert.

>Pendant
That's just a cantrip (Spare the Dying). Stabilizing is a DC10 Medicine check anyways, so it's not that good even as a cantrip

Honestly, yours is the best of the bunch. It lets you cast if you get bound, or more importantly, when you're trying yo stealth. It certainly could come in handy, moreso then the others at least

Definitely better than nothing though!
I now get to refluff and add spicy flavor to my sick new cape/cloak. Still a little sad there wouldn't be some sick cleric combo to pull off.

Okay I am home. Lemme take a good look.

How does this sound to you and everyone else?

>Ripple Breathing (Level 3)
>"When you make an unarmed attack on your turn, you can choose to enhance your strikes with the energy of the Ripple. Your attack deals radiant damage instead of bludgeoning damage. If the attack hits an undead or fiend they take an extra 1d4 radiant damage. "

It can hurt, especially with a flurry, but I think its more fun to at least roll a dice than just say +1 Radiant damage.

>tfw I really want to play a Lich
>scheming, murdering, raising, and hamming
Wizard would be my best bet, right? What about a multiclass, would that be better for creating the theme I'm going for?

I think he was already gonna add an extra d6 onto the Overdrive feature, no?

I want to play as a lich, too, specifically a skeletal one. Unfortunately, DMs who are willing to allow this are rare, even for high-level campaigns. But yes, wizard is your best bet. Sorcerers and clerics can also attain lichdom. Warlocks have excellent flavor for it, and have the Undying patron option, but I'm not sure if pact magic qualifies a character as a spellcaster proper?

Oh yeah! So I guess, just the Radiant Damage change should be enough.

Alright, made some more changes. Thoughts? How does it stack up against the other Monk Traditions?

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Syq5uCtmG

I need an idea for what I could get my players to do as part of a trial to challenge their character's inner strength.

Context: The players have requested audience with a king whom they've been told by multiple sources is quickly losing his mental faculties and is approaching insanity (think King Bumi from A:TLA but more sinister).

The first of three tests they will face involves the leader of the group who originated from this region. The other PCs will be separated upon arrival and they will be told to do as they say or fail. If they communicate to the leader character in any way that this is a test, they will fail.

----------------------------------
One of them will be told to denounce the leader. One of them will be told to take part in a mock execution and appear dead. I need ideas for what the remaining PCs can do to make the leader feel isolated or lost.

Follow up question: What would a mad king that is trying to generally mess with them and test the leader character's inner strength consider a sufficient answer/response to this trial?

Repost from last thread: I'm making a Voodoo themed person for a 6th level game and here's what I've got so far:

Divine Soul Sorc/Hexblade Warlock (taking Pact of Tome and not using the martial aspects of the Hexblade) Tiefling woman.

So she's some descendant of angels and demons (DMs world is a bit different but too long to explain) and lives out in the swamps with some lizardfolk (another player is playing one) and channels the spirits and such to curse people and heal, as per voodoo.

I'm stuck on what cantrips and spells to take to be as on theme as possible, as I want to take Book of Shadows for ritual casts and enjoy the whole voodoo incantations and such. Eldritch blast will be my main damage dealer but I'll probably be a healer more than anything.

Ideas?

wouldn't it hurt to have all that attached to your skull

As a person who has never seen anything from Jojos, it looks like a fine Tradition. Its pretty Ki dependant, but unlike 4elemnts monk you actually want to use some of these features and you gave them a free thing so it balances out when you run out of KI. I still think Zoom Punch could use a buff?

>Zoom Punch. You can spend 1 ki point to extend your reach with all melee weapon attacks by 5 feet for this turn, dislocating the bones in your body and using the Ripple to numb the pain.

New here.
Are there splats to play centaurs in 5e?

the whole idea is stupid and singles out a player

why not give each a trial on paper they have to respond to individually.

>you're all taken to separate rooms
>time passes
>A, B and C denounce you D they were given magic items for this. you can have [class specific magic item]

>because of what D does you can have a magic item but you have to phrase it in the form of a question. "What is a _______" saying your ideal magic item.

>B you get a wish, for what do yo wish?

none real of course.

or something. Just singling one out and making the rest act the traitor is kinda gay