MTG Lore/flakemaking thread

Discuss lore and make special snowflake planeswalkers here.
Topic of the thread: What's your opinion on the Ixalan storyline? Any hopes for Dominaria?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/pt-br/articles/archive/feature/checking-planeswalkers-2015-2017-09-08
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Flakesheet template for anyone who wants to take a crack at it

>putting flakemaking in the title
You dunce.

Team Vampires better win

Here's the most recent flake I made. I wanted a character who's adventures across the multiverse would be less grand fantasy and more Spice & Wolf. I may have also started watching the Great British Baking Show at the time.

So far though, Ixalan's felt pretty distinctly "okay" to me. It's nothing amazing, but there are parts I like and parts I don't. It's a damn sight better than Kaladesh and Amonkhet were.

Vampires deserved a better representative in Ixalan. Empire of Dusk felt like it was forced to be two-dimensional.

They really did. A lot of the factions felt like they had one particular dev who really liked them, but then just didn't get to put any of that into the final story, like that one dev who went crazy detailed into the history of the Brazen Coalition and gave names and boat names and shit.

>religion of self-hating holy men and women that fundamentally fear death so much that they turned to vampirism while justifying it to themselves that it was okay because the people they eat were evil
Fuck, nothing makes my dick harder than that concept and they're not gonna do anything with it.

Mavren Fein should have been the main character.

Lets recap
Nicol Bolas as of the end of Rivals of Ixalan now has:
>A entire planes worth of immortal mummy soldiers
>A artifact that allows him to teleport said mummy army to whichever plane he wants
>and now a magic ball fo fire that allows him to lock planeswalkers into a single plane to prevent them from helping/getting help from other planes

How the fuck is the Jacestice League going to beat this shit?

Arguel's Blood Fast was my favorite card in terms of flavor. I hope to see a Bat Demon card for Aclazotz in Rivals. For Dominaria I wonder if they will do something similar to Eldrazi in the 1st Zendikar set and have the next Phyrexian invasion begin at the end of the set.

Elspeth leading an army of W/B Returned after trading in her sword for Athreos' scythe?

They beat two chthulhus at once so if they want them to best the Eternals, as with any story or narrative, they will find a way.

The Eldrazi were a fluke

>W/B Returned
mmm, orzhov enchantment zombie tribal

In what way is it a fluke that they chained their powers together in a location best suited to let them do such a combo?

That was not so much a fluke as convenient circumstance allowing them a ridiculous answer to the problem at hand.

Thus a fluke

They changed the purpose of the hedrons in between the Zendikar sets, right? In OG Zendikar they were relics of an ancient Eldrazi civilization, but then became Eldrazi prisons at some point along the way.

Good heavens, would you look at the time.

An Elspeth with A MASK !
With her husbando, leading an army of Undead that woul be amazing !
Oh and we still don't know the whereabout of Ashiok ? You know it could be a good knew antagonist after we'll have the end of the "story" (for me when the Big Ol' ass dragon will die and some of the most important PW will die, and the SWJ-PW will die too)

Simple, Jacetice League are the bait
They fall for Bolas' Planeswalker trap and Ajani leads the real Gatewatch to battle against Bolas' army. Since Bolas only knows about the 5, he'll be caught off guard

I Imagine it like this (w/o the sword)
A Re: Ajani VS Bolas.
Nice plan

>No one cared who elsphelt was till she put on the mask
Ajani 2-0 Bolas
though Bara Cat is getting axed, screencap this

>How the fuck is the Jacestice League going to beat this shit?
They won't. But Phyrexia will

Yo, can anyone explain why that stupid sun was the Azorius sigil all along?
And what the fuck was Azor herself doing in Guatemala?

Why would Elspeth go w/b? Wasn't the catching up saying she wouldn't?

>Entire plane is covered by nofunallowed anti-magic

In hindsight, the azorious involvement was obvious.

So, who wanna take a guess at exactly what she's going to forget?

>herself
SJWs out

Jace
He stores her memories of him away so Bolas can't use them

They're switching minds so that SJWOTC can have a tranny on the cast

I really like the concept, it seems novel for the setting. With so many planeswalkers obsessed with power or the fate of the plane, something a little more low to the ground has a bit more flavor to it. (Pardon the pun.)

Heard they're having a vote. As if the players would ever pick Vampires.At least they'll have more votes than Merfolk, what idiot even likes Merfolk?

You know they won't because they're not the POC faction.
Pirates will win even if they don't win the geoaching thing.

Even better, how does Vraska not immediately know it was the Azorius sigil given her place of birth and personal history?

>The literal patriarchy
>herself
fullretard.jpg

The cultured and elite of MTG, legacy and modern players.

Vampires are the most popular faction everywhere I ask. But pirates will win because they're creative's favorite faction by far.

Merfolk aren't even the coolest blue tribe, that's faeries.

You know what? I'm just am idiot, i assumed being a sphynx it would be a female, but then i looked at Azor's card better and realized he's rocking a giant blue beard

I believe we've got more male sphinxes than female sphinxes.

I'm still waiting for how marven fein is going to be used in the story. We have in majority seen only Vona for the empire of dusk, so I am hoping, his story is different.

who would be part of team ajani?

Ajani (duh)
Elspeth
Dack
Sorin
Sarkhan
Karn
Koth
Tamiyo
Narset
Arlinn
Domri
Angrath
Basically every planeswalker who isn't already working with Bolas or Jacetice League members

They don't even try to hide it. Look at the ration of human female pirates vs human male pirates in the card art. It's all "GIRRRRRL POWER YAYYYY!!!!"
Is there anything we can do to rally people to vote for vampires en masse? Like getting /pol/ involved by pointing out how salty the tears will be if we have the MtG equivalent of Spanish conquistadorrs conquering Meso-America, instead of feminist pirates, hippie merfolk, or the natives?

/pol/ is shit and full of reddit "sleeper agents".
If you want something clickbait related to go according to your liking you make it worth /b/'s time.

Everyone laughed at me when I said it looked like the Azorius symbol.
Now who's laughing.

So out of that list who would you want to replace the jacetice league as the core mono colors? Id want...

Ajani (White)
White Lion Paladin would be awesome to have back
Elspeth (Black)
Would like to see her as a more reaper type of character. cold and unfeeling but completely devoted to her own ideal of right.
Tamiyo (Blue)
Defintely prefer her type of Blue character as apposed to Jace.
Garruk (Green)
Would be happy to see him back in rotation instead of Nissa. Especially if he could find his way to Ixalan and become not Turok.
Koth (Red)
I think it'd be nice to see a Mono red character even though I love Chandra. I'd like to see a more creator/destroyer type archetype in the role

Bring back Tamiyo's book club.

Elspeth(White)
She's the angel walker.
Tamiy(Blue)
She's blue so that's about it
Dack(Red)
He's more impulsive and creative than Chandra, also he's already with Elspeth
Domri(Green)
A weak person trying to live up to an impossible ideal for himself? That's pretty great. He's pretty much Garruk but small and no baggage.

Ajani can be Zordon.

Obviously once the Gatewatch reunite, they'll strike back against Nicol Bolas, to try and redeem themselves...

Only to find him already defeated by the Weirdwatch:

>Emrakul (Devoid)
>Once again free from the Innistrad, she's now found a new game.

>Marit Lage (Snow)
>Freed from the ice, she now seeks to really get into the swing of the new worlds she's discovered.

>Terror of the Fairgrounds (Energy)
>Even its not sure what it's doing here. But it's here, and doing it.

>Serra (Old style White)
>Somehow returned to existence through dubious canonicty. She's remarkably angry at how the mana symbol has changed, and refuses to change with it.

>Gix (Phyrexian)
>Thrown through time, he's ended up here. And new Phyrexia kinda creeps him out, so he's hanging around the others in this new plan.

>tamiyo's book club
>series of books that expand on the lore of different planes and also detail tall tales of certain planes (like afari's tales from some of the mirage block Flavor text)

Fucking fund it

>old-style white
im curious, please explain old style white, im a fan of the color

They changed the symbol to make it a bit more pointy and defined.

Old white could do anything but draw cards.

oh
was it similar to white now ideal wise?

>Tamiyo explaining the Brother's War

Yeah. The idea is that she'd just refuse to keep up with modern magic.

She'd probably use Jihad and complain that everyone's offended by it now.

>jihad
I need to get a copy or two of that card, shit would be cash if i resolved it

Don't forget the Army of Allah.

I actually run this in a token deck.

legacy im assuming

Nope

Commander or casual

Commander pauper deck.

They'd be two colors, Ajani GW, Elspeth WB, Tamiyo WU, Garruk GB, Koth RW possibly.

Where's the Elspeth going W/B coming from? Did I miss something?

She ded and a returned now iirc.

She's presumed to return whenever we go back to theros

You havent missed anything last we heard she refused to put on the mask and Dack Fayden went in to save her.

Well did you expect her to go Blue after being sent to The Underworld?

Not yet

magic.wizards.com/pt-br/articles/archive/feature/checking-planeswalkers-2015-2017-09-08

I expected her to stay White. Though I'm not sure if there's been anything newer than this.

>RW Koth
stopmypeniscanonlygetsoerect.png

I want a fucking 5 man band buddy cop story featuring the weirdwatch.

Elspeth's gonna be unknowinly saved by Dack, have a breakdown and believe herself to be an ascendant amesha like other beloved heroes of Bant.
Then we'll have three white walkers with survivor guilt in Return to Alara.

>Return to Alara
If the day comes where this is a thing, when people so "Uh I'm playing a Jund deck" or "I'm playing Bant" it will actually mean it.

Did they ever make a Ravnica D&D little pamphlet or was RtR out too early for that?
Ravnica is the best plane after all.

I just really want to go back for Esper.
Best looking plane by far.

They usually coincide with the art books, which usually coincide with the block related to them, and they started them with BfZ, so probably nah.
That sucks.

As much as I look forward to returning to Ravnica (again) I just hope the writing team won't pull another Zendikar/Amonkhet sort of situation and destroy everything.

Zendikar was garbage but we kind of knew Amonkhet was gonna get fucked from the get go

What sort of name would you give a type of magic dedicated towards movement?
I have some key ideas on what this magic can do but I don't have a name for it.

>They don't even try to hide it.
They don't need to. You are going to eat their shit anyway

what didn't you like about Zendikar?

Do you mean original zendikar or neo zendikar? Original Zendikar is one of the best planes in existence, both mechanically and flavorfully.

Meanwhile BFZ fucked EVERYTHING anyone could have possibly liked about the plane up, it was atrocious. I'm usually a pretty big vorthos but I couldn't continue caring about whatever the fucking jacetice league got up to at that time. The story since hasn't been good but it's never been as bad as bfz.

I want to know what exactly they screwed up with Neo-Zendikar as I thought that both the Zendikar and Innistrahd stories were interesting at times.

At least not as bad as Kaladesh and Amonkhet.

Innistrad was actually pretty ok most of the time (and their final stories were both pretty great as far as online mtg fiction goes).
Kaladesh was simply mediocre, though the great gatsby was sort of entertaining.
Amonkhet as a whole was also pretty bland, but I wouldn't even really say it was bad. Certainly better than anything from BFZ.

>I want to know what exactly they screwed up with Neo-Zendikar
The block as a whole was mostly fucked up due to them changing from a 3-set to a 2-set block (which is why emmy got kicked out, though they did pretty good things with her in Innistrad), but with Ulamog and Kozilek remaining, they're reduced from unspeakable, unfathomable eldritch abominations to some big fatties that you can kill with 13 mana (or something, I don't remember the exact number).
The very first thing that Ugin tells Jace to do is to NOT TRY AND KILL THE TITANS and Jace, being the characterless vacuum that he is, decides to promptly ignore that and thinks he can take on some eldritch abominations with the power of friendship and teamwork.
The rest of the story of the block is Gideon whipping his surral back and forth as I read the 500th instance of "bones breaking" and "tendons tearing" as he fights the millionth eldrazi because none of the eldrazi are special, they're just all meager creatures who are themselves barely a threat to anyone outside of the titans.
While we're not following the story of beefslab mcpunch a lot we're following I'm Totally Not A Racist Anymore Guys as she has an emotional journey about saving some elves or a tree and then gets sad when the other one dies. Then she has to save a goblin or something, and then also add on the bit about her fighting eldrazi from gideon's sections.
Drana's story was the only good one in the entire block but she had to be relegated to being irrelevant while we get mr edgelord back, unfortunately before he's able to kill off nissa for good.
The block was also more-or-less the start of the

change of Chandra's character from "emotional and hot headed because she's a dumbass fire mage" to "adhd 13 year old who can only think about like, how EPIC she is and how much she is in lovie dovies with nissa".
The stories themselves started to get even worse towards the end, as we just got like 5-6 stories that were almost the exact same events just from someone else's point of view. That kind of storytelling isn't inherently awful but bow howdy was it fucking garbage here. I think there was another mindrape story involving Tazri but that was sometime inbetween the 6 takes on Kozilek showing back up so I didn't read it.
The story's just gideon/nissa/chandra's emotional issues while Jace acts like a dumbfuck and then his plan of the power of friendship works as they manage to kill ancient beings in a few days that 3 oldwalkers given millenia couldn't get rid of (granted they probably wouldn't want to get rid of them in the first place).
With the Eldrazi 'gone' all that made Zendikar Zendikar is gone. The roil was a symptom of the sleeping eldrazi, most of the wildlife is dead because of the eldrazi (though I suppose that's being worked on with nissa magic, also ashaya was kind of a stupid plot point), and there's not a whole lot to "explore" under the same reasons.

Even if you don't give a single shit about the story the mechanics of the set were awful. I personally don't actually play around with sets all too heavily unless there's something particular I'm interested but my friend would always have constant complaints about how awful the limited was, and even I could see that cohort was hot garbage. They managed to not fuck up one thing mechanically (somewhat) and that was landfall but even then that was just sort of squandered with the cards they had.
The eldrazi cards themselves are, as I said, mostly boring and bland. In original zendikar they had the titans and a small handful of the brood for each titan. Having to split design space (and artistic design space) between like 90 cards makes it all run very thin and dull.

I might have missed something in there but that's most of what I could think of in a few minutes.
The story with the roilshaper who thought that maybe Gideon was secretly smart and was just fucking with him was kind of funny, so there's that too.

If the mending made planeswalkers weaker, why wouldn't it have the same effect on weird planar monsters like the Eldrazi?

The mending happened 60 years before kaladesh, and iirc bfz is only sent some months after original zendikar.

Eldrazi don't have the spark.

They're native beings to the blind eternities, and most of their power comes from that.
For example, them creating drones, spawn, and scions is actually a case of the Eldrazi putting more parts of itself into the plane. (Because the majority of an Eldrazi is actually still outside a plane, still being in the Blind Eternities)

It only effected sparks. Which is why the world would be fucked if Old Phyrexians somehow returned.