Paizo Games General /pgg/

Paizo Games General /pgg/

What kind of fads and memes do you want to see make a comeback in /pfg/ in 2018?

/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): pastebin.com/YLikTing
/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): pastebin.com/PUMYw1zC
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/Paladin/archetypes/paizo-paladin-archetypes/oathbound-paladin/oath-of-vengeance
archivesofnethys.com/MagicWeaponsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Mage Shot (Electricity)
d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-step-up/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Daddy memes and PLD.

Wouldn't being evil be the best defense against divine stuff? At least smite?
Pragmatic evil I mean.
Like, you're evil, you're kind of an asshole, you've killed before and you'll probably do it again.
But you're pragmatic about it so the paladin hasn't smited you yet because you haven't killed an innocent that he can prove and the local law would stop him if he did.
Similarly antipaladins and evil smite users can't smite you because you are evil.

Man I don't understand the Gun Chemyst archetype. People here hyped it up as the first viable gun class, but I don't really understand what weapon you're supposed to used.

Cardridge Savant gives you much better alchemical cardridges that do additional damage, but the only one that exists is the dragon breath one, and that deals area damage and can only be fired with spread guns, but if you're using spread guns, then what's even the advantage to using bombs anymore?

How would you play a gun chemyst and what damage would you do against single targets?

It's not like I can always shotgun blast around the fighter dude.

>Cardridge Savant gives you much better alchemical cardridges that do additional damage, but the only one that exists is the dragon breath one

There is also the base one that makes reloading faster but is otherwise a normal round.

Right, but this one does not benefit at all from Cardridge Savant.

>When a gun chemist fires an alchemical cartridge that deals a type of damage in place of a firearm’s normal damage (such as a dragon’s breath cartridgeUC), he can increase the damage dealt by an amount equal to his Intelligence modifier.

You can fuck right off on a wheelbarrow full of dicks and fall off a cliff into faggot hell.

>Girl friend wants to play some pathfinder.
>We're having so much trouble getting a group together
>considering biting the bullet doing doing some pfs again
What are some fun two player/character combos we can do? I know of butterfly sting combo, but that's about it off the top of my head.

Also is there way to get hit with a permanent geas/quest or is there a similar effect?

>Have an awesome group of 7 that meets up every night in person
>All are great roleplayers and have good characters
>No bad players
>Worst thing we have is a player who kinda derails a bit too longer than polite and a passive player but that's it
Feels good

>every night in person
fake

Reviewanons for /pfg/ games.

The guy who's game i want to be in is still running his game almost a year later, so I'm still waiting for it to end and a new one to start

Meant every week

Jealous are we?

yes

>PLD
That game is still going?

The best defense is to not give a fuck (be true neutral.)

oh that does make more sense

Love interest NPCs for PCs in homemade adventures.

Reposting from last thread, for what reason would a Paladin willingly travel with a necromancer? In context my character is a CG lichling soul weaver whose magic is mainly oriented towards gishy stuff and healing, the necromancy part being rather mild as they are mostly the ghosts a soul weaver can summon and touch of corruption. I also made it clear that its actually more like a curse that he undertook willingly for a noble cause, he got power but in exchange everytime he uses magic, its painful and drains his life and also slowly turns him undead.

The question came up because one of my expected party members is a Paladin of Erastil, and I am pretty sure he hates unnatural stuff like...undead

Is there a greater evil you're both fighting against?

Are you, y'know, not causing undue suffering?

depends on if the paladin has anything explicitly against undead, or if it's against unnatural shit, or if it's just against the evil that generally follows in the wake of undead

first two are potential breaking points, the last is one of those "prejudices you can grow past" things

The Necromancer contributes to his community.

That's a pretty based paladin code. Could make for an interesting character.

Do it online if you can't find anything good. Don't do pfs, that's a terrible idea.

Worst case scenario, start up a new group yourselves. Put up ads in local nerd gathering places or even online in local facebook groups and the like.

I'd love to have a physical group again, but with my schedule and stress levels lately that's almost an impossibility. If one falls into my lap though I won't turn it away, but it would have to really be perfect for my crazy work schedule.

tfw I will never get a girlfriend who wants to play pathfinder with me

I don't think any Paladin code tells them to slay a specific type of enemy.

Well, this Paladin of Erastil explicitly took Oath of Vengeance though her backstory involved being trained from a young age in preparation of cleansing and purging darkness, evil, demons, and what not

I dont really see my character trying to raise his recently-deceased enemies as his minions or anything, if anything he's a wandering adventurer because he's a noble fugitive trying to keep his powers(tied to an intelligent weapon hes carrying) from falling into the wrong hands. And since theres much to do during that time, why not use it for more noble causes aside from the first noble cause he took the curse for?

P.S I just realize that since my planned backstory is that he's a bastard child from a Taldane family and a fugitive from Taldor, I get the feeling that he easily travels around because most people dont like Taldor in general

Best Paladin Code is a Lawful Neutral code for Paladins against Chaos

>d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/Paladin/archetypes/paizo-paladin-archetypes/oathbound-paladin/oath-of-vengeance
>Code of Conduct: Never let lesser evils distract you from your pursuit of just vengeance.

So what happens if the lesser evil is a direct threat to the community? A Paladin of Erastil should prioritize the safety of the community over vengeance.

Tried online before, found it to be worse than PFS, plus I can use PFS to poach decent players.

Decent players don't play PFS.

Erastil is pretty damn cool

This
PFS is >"Adventuring Guild"-tier shit

Touche.

I get the feeling that Oath makes it seem that normal Paladins are supposed to have a stick up their ass and pursue petty crimes REALLY seriously, possibly to the extent of being Lawful Stupid

Adventuring guilds can actually be fun.

PFS, on the other hand, is no fun allowed RAW shit and attracts the worst of the worst.

Reposting for the last time, Harrow Medium converted to Spheres.

Depends on the players you get. I use heavy vetting and tend to talk to people extensively before actually allowing them in my games, and I much prefer recruitment through referral. Still it's impossible to keep all the assholes and flakes out but it helps that given the online communities you can easily find more to replace them.

PS: I don't recruit on Veeky Forums at all, ever, and I never play Veeky Forums games anymore. No offense to the decent Veeky Forums gamers out there but the vast majority of players I've encountered through Veeky Forums weren't worth the headaches. There's occasionally a diamond in the rough but I'm tired of digging for them.

PPS: I also don't recommend recruiting most of your players through Roll20's LFG system, the vast majority are flakes. Join facebook groups or recruit from other circles.

Spheres of Might question:

If I use Vital Strike with my Energy Blade via spell attack, I can multiply the damage die from Energy Blade right

I instead hear enough player horror stories that I only ever play with people I know for games, is that an acceptable approach? Sometimes I feel anxious about my approach, wondering if it is worth of it

no.

It's an acceptable approach but it does limit your player base significantly and it does lock you into a little social bubble. I like meeting new people, I don't like dealing with assholes. It's a precarious balance but I feel like "friend of a friend" and "active member of a group I'm in" are both worthy enough to be given a chance at least. My current game about half of the potentials came from a pathfinder related Discord group I'm a member of and the other half were friends of some players.

Arguably this might work, but it's expensive as hell. archivesofnethys.com/MagicWeaponsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Mage Shot (Electricity)

That feature in particular doesn't really quite work right, but the other features are functional and on par for Firearms and consider that you still have the rest of alchemist on top of it. It's that extra bit of versatility that makes it solid.

Gunslinger can shoot enemies well enough, but it really does only that.

Any advice for a new pathfinder player to Curse of the Crimson Throne or whatever

If it's a direct and credible threat, it's not lesser. Easy rule of thumb: anything that'd deserve a quest for vengeance to get even for is something worth putting your current quest on hold to prevent. Otherwise you end up too busy settling old scores to stop new ones being made, and that's less paladin and more the Punisher.

No replies last thread, so posting again hoping someone can offer advice on my build for next character. Support/face/knowledgebot with backup melee.

20 point buy Human:
10 STR
14 DEX
12 CON
10 INT
20 WIS
7 CHA

Sensei Qinggong Monk X / Sacred Huntmaster Inquisitor 3
Nicolas Cage: Irori
Inquisition: Conversion
Animal Companion: Roc
Traits: Wisdom in the Flesh (Climb), Magical Knack (Monk, lel)

First 2 levels in monk to get WIS to attack rolls and AC/CMD, then 2 levels in Inquisitor for the WIS to initiative and social skills. Back to monk for 2 levels to pick up Barkskin at Monk 4 (CL6 for 3 natural armor), and a final, third level in Inquisitor so the Roc advances to large size and I can slap a saddle on the fucker for Sensei's Aerial Advice. Rest of the levels in Sensei so I can eventually start handing out ki abilities to teammates, and stunning fists with stupidly high DCs since I can afford to focus entirely on Wisdom, since it covers attack rolls, AC, almost all skill bonuses, initiative, ki pool, and save DCs.

For feats, taking Extra Performance at level 1 for Sensei's Advice, but I still have my monk bonus feat and my human level 1 feat I'm not sure of. Mantis Style at level 3 for the stunning fist DC buff, Boon Companion at 5. I'm genuinely not sure what feats to take with this build since it's mostly support and won't be doing much damage. Probably using a temple sword and shurikens for my main weaponry since I don't have flurry of blows. Any suggestions, /pgg/? Looking for ways to boost my effective bard level for Inspire Courage, give me stronger support options, or more ways to stack WIS.

Taking Touch of Serenity when I hit 8 bab. Also considering if Linnorm Style is worth it over Mantis Style, or if I should just take both eventually.

Pic still related.

True, that would work. Nice price though, for a measily ~5-7 damage for one shot.

And yes, there is the versatility of an alchemist, but having intelligence, dexterity and strength up so you can benefit from all the shape shifting seems a bit much.

I'll have to think about it. Would love a nice musket shooting character with a bit more than just "I shot gun lol" breath of options that the musket master has.

But thanks for the tip.

The reason the archetype "works" is because of the bomb replacer, which can use a discovery to make it so you'll never misfire even with alchemical ammo, but ONLY using the bomb shots. If you want reliable "normal" ammo you're either shit out of luck or you need to pray your DM lets you either treat full packs of mage shot as functionally infinite, or Homebrew nonmagical versions.

Also, Salt Shot should proc, and there's the other fire pellets in the same book. Paddlefoot Pistol is also pretty damn good and has a bigger spread than the Dragon Pistol (20ft cone vs 15ft).

Monk's don't have caster levels, so RAW magical knack wouldn't work on qinggong I believe.

That makes sense.
The thing is, for a normal alchemist to do a lot of damage in close quarters, he needs almost nothing and can full attack bombs.
To shoot guns in close quarters with full attacks, you lose all the poison (that part is whatever) and need either heavy talent investment or deal with problematic, rare, expensive gungs.

Having bomb damage against a single target over higher range is an attractive prospect for a 2/3 spellcaster, but to use a two handed early firearm with full round attacks and bombs, you need a level in gunslinger and I'm just not sure all of this is worth it in the end, especially considering that cardright savant is one of the key gun chemyst features but only works in very close range. (except homebrew, yes)

>Spells: These ki powers duplicate the effects of a spell, and are spell-like abilities. A qinggong monk’s class level is the caster level for these spell-like abilities, and she uses Wisdom to determine her concentration check bonus.

Rules on Caster Levels:

>A spell’s power often depends on its caster level, which for most spellcasting characters is equal to her class level in the class she’s using to cast the spell.

SLAs:

>... In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell.

I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work. Even the paizo forums have a discussion on this subject, with no consensus other than "doublecheck with your GM", even for PFS which is notoriously hitleresque when it comes to rules. Since our group tends to be very powergamey, I figure it'll fly.

Sure they do.
>At 12th level or higher, a monk can slip magically between spaces, as if using the spell dimension door. Using this ability is a move action that consumes 2 points from his ki pool. His CASTER LEVEL for this effect is equal to his monk level. He cannot take other creatures with him when he uses this ability.

The way I see it, the advantage over bombs is that you have decent attacks that you can do consistently outside of your limited per day uses, single target damage is slightly higher and Deadly Aim can apply to your attacks.

That being said, very few options can utilize a two-handed early firearm well. I'd only use one-handers with Gun Chemist.

I mean I did say RAW, RAW caster levels are your levels in a certain spellcasting class, and I don't see qinggong monk getting the spellcasting class feature. I mean it's perfectly good to rule it like that, I probably would aswell, just warning that user in case they have an uptight gm is all.

>A spell’s power often depends on its caster level, which for most spellcasting characters is equal to her class level in the class she’s using to cast the spell.
According to RAW, you don't have a CL in a vacuum. RAW, you only have a caster level as it relates to class features that use a caster level.

>The thing is, for a normal alchemist to do a lot of damage in close quarters, he needs almost nothing and can full attack bombs.
He still needs fast bombs, but I get what you mean. Really, you're paying for the ability to passably use a firearm, which is a weapon that you can slap enhancements on compared to bombs. A +1 Reliable Distance Paddlefoot Pistol is expensive, yes, but also (sort of) useable outside of the bomb shots. Barely. Muskets are still shit, and the advanced gun Rifles would be the only way to make a 2H firearm "work" imo.

>I'm just not sure all of this is worth it in the end
Welcome to trying to use guns. I'm mad at myself for pushing my DM for it instead of just making a generic Alch or even a caster Occultist, as now I feel obligated to play it.

Will I regret making a caster based occultist? I was thinking of going half-elf so I can get the elf fcb aswell as dual minded and knowledge nature and stealth from the fey thoughts alt racial, looking to be kind of a scout/knowledge guy with decent perception, focusing on more enchantment and transmutation related spells in combat. It seemed the silksworn archetype would be a good fit. What point-buy should I be looking at? So far I have student of philosophy, spiritual forester, and pragmatic activator as my traits. Is there any other traits I might want? Any schools worth focusing on? Or should I just drop the concept and instead just play a wizard?

To clarify, with "any other traits" I meant ones worth switching out the current ones I have, spiritual forester is for a +1 to both nature and planes, aswell as getting planes in class.

>Still posting anime cat girls for the /pgg/ thread
Don't ever stop

Caster Occultist can be good, I hear. Personally, the Silksworn Elf I'm making has 7/14/12/20/10/14 after racials with 25 PB, but that's doable by a helf. Elf feels like it pulls ahead overall, but it's probably not enough to really matter. Fucking go for it, Silksworn is the best "halfcaster" caster in the game last I checked. Having 8 spells/day off each level before stat bonuses, plus focus powers, is nothing to scoff at. You probably won't ever have as good of DCs as a similarly leveled Wizard or Sorc, but they'll likely be good enough, and you seem to have a good idea of what schools to grab. I would ask your GM if you could take Panoplies or not, though I would have to assume the answer is "no".

I wouldn't really bother with Cha replacers, but that's just me, as Silksworn wants Cha and the enchantment implement doesn't help any if you swap a skill to Int. It also probably depends on how much of a face you plan to be.

>Just play a wizard
Wizard is probably simpler and more powerful, but an Occultist has a ton of cool bullshit it can do, and has a few tricks the wizard doesn't get.

I was thinking about elf, but I really want knowledge nature in class, and stealth would be nice to have aswell, then again if I don't need the stat replacers for intelligence because of that resonant focus power that enchantment gives (which I honestly didn't even think about when picking traits) I should be able to get it with a trait instead, and then take full elf and the overwhelming magic alt racial for the free spell focus. I'm likely going to have the highest social skills in the group, since I'm the only one who likes going that route it seems, but I assume the enchantment school power will be just fine for those.

If I can take panoplies, which would you suggest? I'd assume the mage's paraphernelia is the big choice for a caster based occultist, but I'm not sure how useful all that metamagic as I haven't dabbled into a caster like this before, I only ever really played a blaster sorc 1/arcanist x.

Another issue I have is that I'd rather not blow a school on evocation, as it seems extremely lackluster to me. I may be wrong about that though, also since I have no idea of the worth of mage's paraphernelia I can't say if blowing an implement on evocation will be worth it or not.

How do I get the DM to sensually transform my rascist human character into a qt elf

Thanks again for your replies.
If I want to play this, I'll ask my DM if I can use intelligence as the modifier for the 1 level dip skill shots into musket master that allow full round attacks. Deeds, you know, that stuff.
If he says "yes, it makes sense, you're an android, you can aim and move extraordinarily fast but not with dares, but with calculations" then fine, then I'm a cool android gun alchemist, jury rigging his or her actual future laser rifle into make shift musket and magically reprogramming his or her body, if not, fine, no guns for me.

You're on the money with Mage's, but the real winner for that one feels like the ability to become a hybrid prepared/spontaneous caster. Seriously, with how many spell slots you get as a Silksworn, and being able to draw from the undoubtedly massive pool of focus invested in Divination, that shit would be absolutely cash. Only downside is needing to carry a book around and needing 15 minutes per spell you prep, but just do that shit in the morning like any other prepper.

Performer's Accoutrements is... Okay? It's flavorful and Enchantment/Illusion are both decent, but it's nothing groundbreaking unless you really want the flavor. Evocation is mediocre, but has some standout spells iirc that you may want to dip in for. The other two panoplies don't do much for you.

It does give some nice flexibility I must admit. Thanks for all the help you've given me, I'm sure this character will be a blast to play, I'll check with my gm if he'll allow the mage's paraphernelia, and if not, I'll just go the regular route.

Suggest upping the Magic level of the game. Just look for wild Magic areas and most GMs will eventually have you roll on a Polymorph table

EVERYONE ELSE, roll 1d100 to see what you get turned into after wandering into the forgotten magic ruins

Rolled 57 (1d100)

No problem, I admit I've yet to actually play one, but you caught me in the middle of zealously reading up on HOW to make one so I've at least got a pretty good idea. Hopefully I can live vicariously through you now, because it's looking like I unfortunately never will get to play the one I have..

This can only end well.

Rolled 20 (1d100)

let's go

Rolled 8 (1d100)

rollan

Rolled 12 (1d100)

I wish to be the little kobold.

Also, is Kraken Style good?

pls drow

am tired

Rolled 60 (1d100)

Those are foxes, you mong.

Rolled 71 (1d100)

Decent if you have a way to deal multiple instances of "grappling" damage. Good with Spheres of Might's Wrestling sphere

go go go go go

Rolled 31 (1d100)

d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-step-up/

Why is this feat such trash? It almost, ALMOST seemed to be what I wanted as a monk (the ability to tag along with someone who tries to D-door out of melee), but then I realized that it literally does not work, ever.

I hate paizo so much.

Rolled 19 (1d100)

What makes you say "this doesn't work", user?

It's great if you can figure out how to lift that /ungodly fucking once a day limit/.

Immediate actions.

The actual counter to this feat is to take a five foot step first. So you use your immediate action to use the Step Up feat. Then you defensively d-door away and laugh, because they have no other immediate action available to follow you.

The whole purpose of Step Up in the first place was to provide an answer to the 3.5 caster's "5 foot step and fuck you" strategy. Dimensional Step Up serves no purpose in that regard.

Pay me no mind, I'm just salty and trying to make (archetyped) chained monk work.

>d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-step-up/
It works fine. The problem is, it works fine. It's a great way to catch those fucking 'teleport away before they die" assholes like demons, devils, daemons, wizards, and priests who like to get the fuck out of dodge rather than die like good enemies.

If you need it more than once per day, you're using a bad strategy.

A Dragonperson

A wood Elf

Big standard ‘Umie, roll again

A very High Elf

If we stop here, it seems like a standard party.

I’m going to simplify it to Tiefling. Same difference as Drow, no? But you also score a schway tail and horns

Size jokes incoming from our Goliath

Haha, you’re a Halfling!

Another Wood Elf, roll again

What would a /pgg/ random roll table include?

Rolled 80 (1d100)

Here's hoping I get something fun.

New dwarf on the block incoming.

Rolled 57 (1d100)

I'm very special

Hmm... an intelligent reclusive giant. So... no changes lol

A special Snowflake Dragondude/tte that is

Pick a scale color and breathe weapon

Rolled 60 (1d100)

rerollin' wood alf

Rolled 96 (1d100)

Give me something cool.

>1 to 10 kitsune
>11 to 20 Dragongirls
>21 to 30 pure vanilla cow tits
>31 to 40 pure vanilla DFC
>41 to 50 Drow
>51 to 60 Bara Daddy
>61 to 68 "girl"
>69 to 75 Nightwalker
>76 to 85 Exactly you except with a helmet on
>86 to 91 oni
>92 to 95 gender swap
>96 to 99 pick a fellow player, they choose
>100 succubus shapeshifter

The first, last, and only time I ever recruited from Veeky Forums, I ended up with an 80 year old furry who immediately went on video call wearing diapers.

I wish I could make this kind of shit up.

A Tiefling and an an Orc

Either save the GM some time and smite yourself, or this could be a fun buddy dramedy if you both play Paladins

Red scales, fire breath weapon. Not going to go all out special snowflake, being a dragonborn is bad enough.
All I wanted was to be a dwarf.

A buddy cop game sounds fun. Time to become a paladin.

Not the user who posted the table but I'm going with a fuchsia and periwinkle combo. And euphoria gas for a breath weapon.

I haven't had anything that... odd. But to each their own, so long as it doesn't screw with the game I say. I've had some serious oddballs around a table and online though, and I'm no normie myself, but the whole point of a social contract is to lock your crazy up unless the group is cool with it.

But was he a good player

Fuck no, I banned him from the server instantly, and the whole party left on the spot. It fucking sucks too because I spent like a month of setup for the campaign.

rolling for me and a friend.

Rolled 58, 5 = 63 (2d100)

i typed roll+2d100 instead of dice, shoot me

I mean he was breaking the social contract by bringing his crazy to the table. Hell, I don't even allow or like video calls in my games. I don't see the point of them, my poor computer can't take them, and they tend to cause problems. If anyone tried to videocall I'd shut it down before it finished connecting and I'd give them a talking to about boundaries and asking if people want to bloody video call.

A Dragonborn can hit a lot of the same notes while being able to reach things on high shelves.

Why a Dorf so badly?

Oh, you sound like a fun Dragonborne to play with

A Human and a Tiefling. I’m sure I read this story somewhere

I like clerics a lot, and dwarven clerics can be fun little stocky people to hang around, unless they're the stereotypical greedy irish drunk that is.