/cyoag/ - CYOA General

Archives and other resources: pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu
Previous Thread: Thread theme: youtu.be/T4puIA80cSw

That song is the most gay thing I have ever heard.

So perfect fit for this thread

Fuck this gay earth dreamer a best

Italics here. Taking a break from makin'a bunch of large cyoa to make a few small cyoas.Which would rather have made and possibly released today or tomorrow?

A Boktai-inspired CYOA about becoming a vampire hunter with a spirit companion.
or
A Regal CYOA where you become a Prince, have some small kingdom customization options and some waifu options?

Italics, it's us, give us the kingdom and waifus plz.

Kingdom customization is always cool

>Boktai
With waifus!

I like the vampire hunter idea myself.

Italics, it's us, give us the boktai and the waifus plz

Kingdom CYOA. Make it so you're forced to marry someone of your opposite sex to keep the bloodline going, but can sacrifice some points to get a concubine which will make your marriage loveless but lets you choose a concubine of the same sex. Maybe a harem option for even more points where you can love both and they're okay with it.
Also add a princess (male) who you can marry without spending points on the concubine option, but if he is ever discovered it would mean trouble and going childless might doom your kingdom.

Remember to link to Google Drives instead of posting 40+ pages

Be careful!

This fuckin' guy.

Don't make!

Its going to be a short cyoa. Nothing too deep.

Hey, user. I know you like PPP+, but don't do this. Even I the creator am asking not to.

The boktai-inspired cyoa will feature female vampire hunters, but isn't waifu focused. It seems 3:3 now.

>Even I the creator am asking not to.
Ok I won't, all of you gat luck today!

>but isn't waifu focused
Not like i was expecting it to be anyways i signed up for the vampire hunting

Just gonna note that outside of all the retcons people are complaining about PPP+ also feels very barebones and tacked on.
For something people were waiting for a long time you probably should've worked on more new content rather then changing the old.

I was promised sexy vampires tho

>Boktai with waifu
But it will have them right?

While we're at it, what is considered the maximum for per-page posting?
I have OC comming up that is somewhere in the 15-20 pages area depends where I split pages and wether or not I add a new section for the third time and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to just zip the entire thing and throw it on mega or drive.

15-20 pages is a lot. I would suggest going for the drive.

>15-20 pages
to the mega/drive it goes

>throw it on mega or drive
Its dead.

>I have OC comming up that is somewhere in the 15-20 pages area depends where I split pages and wether or not I add a new section for the third time
I presume each page is at (or close to) the 10k pixel limit in terms of height?

More like 3-4k because right now I start a new page whenever a new section comes up. Could combine pages of course if I were to post things in thread.

But right now I'm leaning to post only the intro page and link the rest.

Don't be an autist and use 10k

Post some CYOAs you believe everyone should have in his collection.

>I start a new page whenever a new section comes up

Enjoy your 0 reposts fag

The F

The U

The M

>mundane is having a trap girl(male)friend in Japanese high school filled with anime tropes
That's not mundane at all.

Now it is

Is this better?

Reminder that literally EVERYONE in Constellia is a big fat ho, and did everything wrong. And also that you're nothing but a random janitor who nobody cares about, and the best course of action is to remove everything making Constellia shit AKA. 90% of the characters

Who are the 10%?

The orphans. Headpats unending shall be their reward.

Why every cyoa writer thinks that making it a wall of text makes it good? All the best cyoas are fucking short, its the customization options that makes them good and arguing which one is the best choice.

I blame it on companions/waifus I guess. As a writer you're told that reducing characters to a few key words is pretty much the worst you can do, so they are more fleshed out. Then there's a shit ton of competition for companions, so people try to make them as fleshed out as possible.

Since a lot of cyoas also have a narrator character they get the same treatment and thus all the intro text is stretched out, many choices are commented on by the narrator, and so on.

>orphans
Are for worms!

I remember this one
M U N D A N E

I tend to agree, but only in a certain sense.

Short descriptions are great if the skill doesn't demand much thought. Longer descriptions is required for things that require depth, like people and different worlds.

Sometimes text can also add to the atmosphere and flow of the CYOA, but can turn people off.

Any CYOA however should find a clear balance between images and text. Too much of either is a bad thing.

kys faggot

Delet thineself from existence, wormho!

Whichever cyoa isn't 90% companions and has 100% of the story told in said companions.

Because people like you don't make CYOAs to change the status quo. Instead you whine like a kid from tumblr expecting others to change because you want them to.

>All the best cyoas are fucking short
By whose measure? Yours?

>Sacred prostitutes
Imagine the quality of service

>Longer descriptions is required for things that require depth

Writing a novel doesnt add "depth" More choices, especially choices with synergy or interaction between them adds depth.

Also, all those C tier writers mistake cyoas as novels or worldbuilding attempts instead of you know, adventures. They are supposed to be pretty blank states for YOU to come up with things to fill out and describe based on your choices.

You need some base to immerse yourself in, and if the writing is in a non-stale novel style rather than bland descriptions, then it might have a more positive effect on readers in my opinion.

That said I made a bunch of CYOAs using either style, but my next is leaning towards novel style. The choices will feature a small description + novel style commentary. Yes I am aware I am not a great writer.

Nah

What the fuck is with you autists and loudly proclaiming something to be “the best” or objectively the proper way for a cyoa to be? I wish I could hate fuck you to death.

You seem very knowledgeable about what a CYOA should be perhaps you could make one for us

>succubus

>enhanced intelligence
>empathy
>portal to a fantasy world

Easy political power by simply seducing people to do my bidding, introduce me into their ingroups, form powerful connectionts etc. I'm intelligent and literally can read their emotions while they are inclined to naturally trust me.

First I just seduce local businessmen, get them to take me in as a partner then grow up my economic power moving up before really getting into politics. I will also use my power to wrest out information from people, about secret societies and such then infiltrate them. Once I will have a stable power base I will eventually unite mankind as a beloved leader and invade a fantasy world of my choice because the portal is just invisible, not impassable to others.

It may even be possible to form a cult about my magnetic personality to ensure loyalty and obedience by people I cant influence in person.

As a B plan I will just disappear into the fantasy world and repeat the same thing.

As C plan, I will bury millions of times capsules with my name on it and a pentagram. I may even turn it into a meme so the guide how to summon me will be recorded everywhere.

It is implied that I'm immortal, but if not I will just kill myself and get resummoned by my cult

Like I said, I think it comes at least partially from companions, where you usually don't have choices. I'm not taking waifu builders or the like but cyoas with lists of party members/roommates/spouses/whatever.
We produced so many characters to pick one from that every short description has been used up already. So you try to sum a personality that maybe even includes their own version of whatever choices were made for the player character and try to make that stand out from the thousands of characters that are produced in these threads each year. It simply takes words to do so.
Also many authors seem to use character description as exposition dumps.

That's not an excuse for this practice, it's just a guess to where this word inflation may come from.

Guess I’ll repost. This came at a funny time, since I just got Ultra Moon for Christmas after not having touched the series since Ruby/Sapphire.

>Affiliation
Adventurers (+16 Companion, +500 Build)

>Sex
Male (+ 1 Speed)

>Ideal
Villain

>Body Type
Fit (+1 Attack)

>Appearance
Adult (+1 Special Attack)

>Type
Dark

>Moves
Poison Jab, TM (1200)
Dark Pulse
Snatch
Hyperspace Fury, Special
Black Holy Eclipse, Ideal

>Ability
Magician

>Stats
500 Health (800)
250 Attack (650)
250 Defense (450)
300 Speed (250)
250 Special Attack (100)
250 Special Defense (-100)
15 Evasion (-150)
15 Accuracy (-200)

>Items
None

Exchange 10 Companion points for +200 Build Points, leaving 12 Companion points

>Companions
Gena (10)
Drivvel Spark (8)
Lamincha (6)
Hunter (4)
Onin (2)
Pan (0)

I agree the orphans are adorable. I didn’t take any as companions, as that’s not safe for anyone nor is it okay to take their Nurse away, but my intention is for Little Woods to be my hangout between adventures. Watch the orphans grow and help guide them, you know how it goes.

Also, forgot to say there is nothing preventing me taking enhanced intellect x3, thought I dont know how it would stack up, additively or multiplacatively.

>orphans are adorable
They need a home!

Guess I'm just not a fan of shit like I just honestly believe that less is sometimes more and more options, more and more different outcomes makes cyoas more fun than war and peace with titty elves in jpeg form. Plus the more thing you can leave it to the imagination of the reader to combine the better.

Yeah sure.

nice

cool

Are you going to start making these "good cyoa's" any time soon or will you continue crying to mommy?

You’re narrow minded. Not that I blame you, I used to think the same way a few years back. This changed when I took the time to read through Universal War and found myself really enjoying it. This in turn led me to give the appropriate attention to things like Traveller, Lavender, and even PP. They’re really good and you’re missing out.

Well, I agree with you. Not a big fan of massive waifu lists, heck I've been struggling with the six-ish characters for my current cyoa for weeks while I pumped out the 200 or so skills in a week.
But since companion lists are so popular we'll be seeing them for a while.

I get what you mean but I did say I agree only to a certain extend.

Sometimes you just need the text to build a world around your images and you can't always do so with small descriptions.

Why are you trying to shitpost so hard?

If I'd want to play an actual game or read a novel I'd do that instead of twisting cyoas into that. The entire point of cyoas at the start was a quick, fun, thinking exercise and arguing over whats "optimal" and what would be a comfy or weird selection.

Or you could just play an actual game over that. Hell, you could actually make a playable mod in Civ 4 or something.

So it's not okay to mix certain aspects together? I think you belong more in /b/ than in Veeky Forums.

CYOAs aren't a medium set in stone, there are various genres, types and styles.

Listen to yourself, you’re making excuses not arguments. You have no authority on the matter, as you’ve shown yourself to have a very limited breadth of cyoa consumption and you haven’t proven to be an author. This entire conversation boils down to “I don’t like it”, thus wasting everyone’s time with your bullshit. It’s the anonymous equivalent of a child refusing to eat his meal, proclaiming a dish he never tasted to be the worst.

Yes this what makes /CYOA/!

>The entire point of cyoas
is escapism. Whether the CYOA is short or long is a secondary unrelated matter.
Just because you only like the short ones because you have ADHD or something doesn't mean that you should project it on everybody else.

So I saw this last thread. Does anyone have it in a better resolution?

the pile of shit

The waifu

>Guess I'm just not a fan of shit like #
There is only a tiny portion of people into these long CYOA that get their length from companions. See TT as wel.

I feel like the waifu option is supposed to trigger people but I can't figure out why. Because she doesn't grovel at your feet or have your exact same taste?

There seems to be such a version in the Mega archive (under Genres > Modernesque), but it's unpostable as-is (due to image height going over the 10k limit).

>citation needed

Thank you very much, user!

If I can magically have a girlfriend, why would I want anything but perfection?

Could someone post the Berserk Apostle CYOA please? I couldn't find it on the pastebin.

But what if she eat newborns!

Wait for the guys that admit they've made 30+ characters to show up. I think I remember one person saying he made 60.
In the meanwhile can you in any way prove me wrong?

Everyone has eaten a newborn at least once in it's life so who cares?

Well, that's not very perfect. I'd pass.

>at least once
Will yes, but 10,000?

I guess I'm on the other side. I don't mind if a CYOA goes several pages if most of it is taken up with companions. Mostly because I can skim those and they don't really matter.

To a lesser extent this goes for equipment as well.

What i don't like is a CYOA that has a larger character creation system than an RPG. If it takes more than two pages to make 'me' then I'm a bit turned off.

No, but you can’t prove yourself right either.

So how does stored power and power trip work in this? Does it still only count stat boosts in battle? Do stat boosts work like the game or are they added to your normal stats in this and are you capped with boosts?

Do you remember how many breads have you eaten in your life?

>Dual Citizenship

>4-1=3 Knowledge
>4+1-1=4 Combat
>3 Property
>2-2+0 Treasury
>2-2+1=1 Resources

>Sorcery
>Warrior
>Noble
>Commander
>Armoury

>Tusk (Legendary Beast)
>Caer (Custom Outfit)

Be poor but still fairly strong and influential noble. Have some castles in mountainous lands between Tusk and Caer. Would have lots of money from trade through border area, but unfortunately dragon breeding business is expensive. Especially when you spend time fighting off barbarians and studying magic instead of developing business sense..... At least I have a nice set of fashionable dragon handling gear.

Anyone interested in buying a dragon can come and stay with us for awhile.

Will you are right, I guess go to the Orphanage with my waifu now! Thanks for the help!