Hey guys, I am new to the US and so far I've had a few cultural shocks and misunderstandings...

Hey guys, I am new to the US and so far I've had a few cultural shocks and misunderstandings. In my country we do not tip barbers, cashiers, doormen, cab drivers, the dude that hands you a beer at a pub... only restaurant waiters and we tip them 10%. So far I've learnt who you have to tip in this country but I still have some troubles.

Well the other day after a game in my LGS people tip the DM (we are playing 5th edition), is this a common practice? I wasn't expecting to having to tip in my LGS, but if you do it, how much is the correct amount to tip?

It feels so strange to have to tip DMs.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>foreigners
>burgerfats
>paid GMs
Pretty good assortment you've got here, OP. You'll probably get at least a dozen replies.

I'm just asking about the practice of tipping GMs.

You could always ask them about it, or ask the others why they did it.

No, most DM's do it for free, or are paid by the place for running Adventurers Guild. Your players are either really nice, or he just tricked everyone into giving him tips.

I asked once why do you tip barmen, the answer: "everyone does"

That's not the correct answer, though. The tipa you give Bartenders, waitresses, etc. are part of their wages. It's one of the ways restraunts get away with paying them below minimum wage, because $3.45/hour + tips has an expected value equal to minimum wage or more. When you give someone like that a tip, you are literally giving them their paycheck.

As a DM, I prefer to be tipped with table snacks, or some alcohol.

If your DM is masochist enough to run games at the LGS, you should just bring him some hard liquor after every session.

So the correct answer is non monetary tips?

>When you give someone like that a tip, you are literally giving them their paycheck.

I'm not their employer, I'm not responsible for them, etc. Let the fuck who owns the place put that tip into their prices and pay the waiters minimum wage or more. As a customer you (should) end up paying the same amount anyway, they just have to make it extra awkward for everyone.

Only tip they're entitled to is on the end of my penis.

so you're not a big tipper, eh?

>Let the fuck who owns the place put that tip into their prices and pay the waiters minimum wage or more.
yeah but the problem is they don't

Sage and hide

Most restaurants could not afford to remain open if they paid their staff full minimum wage or more. This is particularly true of low- to middle-class restaurants like Friendly's or Applebees, or little corner diners where you can get a sizeable meal for cheap (my favorite breakfast place is a diner in Worcester, MA on Gold Star Blvd. that serves two pancakes, juice, home fries, and two eggs for like $6)

In order to afford to pay their workers minimum wage, they'd need to jack up their prices. If they jack up their prices, people will instead start going to other places that haven't jacked up their prices. They'll go out of business.

If minimum wage laws were changed to require everyone to pay servers minimum wage, then all the little diners will jack up their prices, and in response people will instead get their breakfasts from McDonald's or Dunkin' Donuts, and the little guys will go out of business.

TL;DR - you want McDonald's to be the only game in town for cheap breakfast. Bad user. No treats for you.

You should only tip your GM if he consistently provides top quality crab legs, or if he gives you preferential treatment when it comes to determining the designated TTRPG shooter.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not necessary.

If your waiter/waitress was friendly and helpful, tip them. It's just the way we do it here. 15-20 percent is customary. Note this is only for restaurants and diners where you sit down and are waited upon. You don't need to tip fast food like McDonald's employees.

Like he said it's their wage, and should be factored in when you go out to eat. So if you know the place you will eat at ranges about $20 a plate, expect to pay $24.

Unless the waiter was an asshole or negligent, then only do about 10 percent. They notice that shit. That's for doing the bare minimum for you. I think I've only ever done no tip once, and that was a circumstance where the waiter really pissed me off.

It's a reward system, where the waite staff feels encouraged to work harder for more money. It's a small cost for you, and a big reward for them.

I know my father in law tells the waiter that the only thing that matters to him with tips is as long as he never sees the bottom of his glass, then you're getting a 20 percent tip. And it works. It actually makes things easier for the waiter as they know what's expected of them.

I've never seen or heard about tipping DMs though. Except maybe bringing snacks for the group or something.

>wanting to empower the workers or unions
lmao what're you, a commie?

>businesses guilt trip customers into subsidising their employee's wages
>corporations like Walmart underpay their staff so badly that they require billions in welfare payments, paid for by regular joe taxpayers, not Walmart

America is a strange place. It's an Oligopoly with a subservient proletariat.

>Asparagus water
>$5.99
Why in the fuck would you DRINK asparagus? It's not even like blended and $5.99 is an entirely unreasonable price for such a beverage. Why not just buy your own asparagus and put it in water?

Honestly, why don't you just buy a couple clementines, two bananas, a handful of strawberries, throw it in a blender with some lemon juice, then dump a fuckload of protein powder and fiber into it like a regular /fitg/uy? Why not buy $5.99 of frozen mangos and yogurt, then make a smoothie. WHO THE FUCK DRINKS ASPARAGUS?!

It's so that affluent people in theory do pay more for their meals than people who can hardly afford it.

You're JUST NOW figuring that out? It's been that way since the mid 70's, shortly after you could no longer pay rent, utilities, food, and make car payments on minimum wage.

>protein powder
sorry but I am not an olympic athlete

the actual backstory to that photo is someone found it on the shelf, shared a picture and viral sensation.
Turns out "asparagus water" was still supposed to be chopped up or something so the flavor gets into the rest, like cucumber water, but the person making it was new to the job and didn't follow directions.

although I agree it's overpriced as fuck, but anyone who buys water infusions is already wasting money.

White people man

www cetusnews com/business/Silicon-Valley-elites-are-spending-%2460-for-less-than-3-gallons-of-dangerous--unfiltered-water-%E2%80%94-and-it-s-flying-off-the-shelves.rk7pZB6Ymf.html

Of course, every other country in the world pays their servers minimum wage and has no issue with it

The "we can't afford it" meme has never been true

Neither am I user, but I've lost 70lbs since january by pounding a fuckload of the stuff into me. The trick is to eat like 2lbs of fruit mixed with the powder and fiber so that you're full longer, particularly first thing in the morning. I barely exercise at all and I'm already pretty svelt.

Jesus christ, that's absolute madness. I'm a white person and I'm appalled at both of these things. I'll stick to kombucha thanks, at least it's just bacteria and I know where it comes from.

I feel like stealing some diamonds now

>don't want the bill to be big
>but is obligated to pay extra anyway

Is this some Burger logic I just don't understand? Where I live there is no social contract to pay tips, tips are often paid if the customer wants, not as some charity.

>It's a reward system, where the waite staff feels encouraged to work harder for more money.

Has there been any good studies on this

This is not a common practice. Either your GM is someone you're directly paying for a service he is performing for you, or he is someone running a game for his own entertainment.

At least they're just wasting money on stupid things and not joining gangs and committing crimes, like niggers.

Someone post the screen cap of "you don't actually play table top games." Also don't forget what goes in all fields

>implying affluent people would sit in a diner like that

>“You can’t stop consenting adults from being stupid,” Marler said. “But, we should at least try.”
I'm applying this to every day life.

Yes they do, that's why it's called a minimum wage. If they come up short their employer has to make up the difference

>Most restaurants could not afford to remain open if they paid their staff full minimum wage or more.
How in the hell do restaurants in other countries stay open, then? Really gets the noggin joggin

>Asparagus water

Enjoy your shit, plebs.

No it's all social media heresay a tip used to mean exemplary service now it's just making sure minimum wage can keep their phones on and linked in to Facebook

Legally yes, but functionally, anyone who comes up short is on the list for getting fired on bad pretenses, and there's no way to stop that short of mind reading their supervisor to see what the motivation behind the firing is.

You don't necessarily need to tip, but you DO need to clap after the session is over.

see
It's the oldest trick in the book. And it works every time. It can, has, and always will be said for everything. It just works extra well in America, and that shows in pretty much all of our society.

And so you have your answer, OP. We can't afford it.

Dunno. I can go to just about any local restaurant during lunch hours and get a full meal for around 10€.

By local (Europoor) logic - tips are the part of the wage that doesn't get taxed. Though I have no idea how taxing income works in States.

>go to Prague, a capital city nonetheless
>spend less than €5 on a filling meal, with change left over for a delicious beer
>no fuss, no waiter pretending to be your best friend

Came here to post this. God bless at-will states.

I always tip, and I tip well for quality service.

I had a free pizza from being a fatass, ordered it to my new address and gave the guy $5 on top of the $5 delivery. You bet your fucking ass that pizza man was excited to deliver pizza to my obese carapace next time I ordered. Same standard applied with everything. I usually give people free weed too and it has never once bit me. In fact, I gave a dude a free half quarter of some quality greenery and he did $100 worth of work on my car for $25 of weed.

Oh no. In the States you have to report every fucking dime.

Basically a certain amount of money gets taken out of your regular paycheck (Less if you report exceptions, like kids) as taxes, and then when it comes time to file taxes, you fill out your detailed tax papers, send them in, and the IRS balances what they actually took out with what they should have taken out and either sends you the extra as a tax return or sends you a bill for the rest of it. So basically tips are tax free because you can just fail to report them and won't get busted for it unless you get exorbitant tips and blow them on large ticket items like cars and houses faaaaar in excess of what you reported consistently for years and years.

That's bullshit. Restaurants don't exist in countries with minimum wage laws. They can't afford to, like our burgeranons prove.

It sounds so sad to be American.

I've never heard of anyone tipping their DM.

How long ago was that? We had restaurant prices mark up like 15% on last year alone.
Also we don't do €. Never did. Never will.

I recently discovered the USA is, along with Eritrea, one of the only countries that taxes citizens who live aboard. That's crazy.

Legally yes, but do you honestly believe people correctly report cash tips? If you do I have a bridge in San Francisco to sell you.

>How in the hell do restaurants in other countries stay open, then?
Their owners don't have to pay for all the stuff that American business owners have to pay for directly, since
>le welfare state
takes a lot of the burden off of individual business owners, who make up the majority of non-chain restaurants.

Of course I know that, that's why I always tip in cash myself. I was just giving the Yuropoor what the law says so they can better grasp the fucked up situation we've made for ourselves.

Just buy him some snacks or something to drink.

>Their owners don't have to pay for all the stuff that American business owners have to pay for directly, since
>le welfare state
>takes a lot of the burden off of individual business owners, who make up the majority of non-chain restaurants.

You cannot be this dense.

I'm not the one who's trying to use "my feels" as a reason to explain why tipping is dumb.

Also what's with the constant grazing you guys do? Why do you need so many snacks?

People look at me weird because I only have 3 meals a day and I don't snack during the day.

Not my problem so why do I have to pay for it?

this place is called fa/tg/uys for a reason

It's just the way it is over here. And it's not going to change simply because it doesnt make sense to some eurofag.

When in rome, do as the romans.

When in america, tip your waitress.

I'm going to take a stab and say you are white.

>people actually think this is genuine

It's country that stubbornly refuses to adopt metric system. For centuries. The usual concept of logic and reason doesn't apply.

Leave skin color out of this. There are generous people and cheapskates on both sides.

But from what i understand, the darker skin you are, the more you hate tipping. Whites are generally more generous when tipping and donating. It must be all that 'privilege'

When in Islamistan, throw a homo off a roof.

All cultures are beautiful.

Spotted the non-white.

Sure, equate tipping to murder. That makes sense.

>two pancakes, juice, home fries, and two eggs for like $6
But it isn't $6 dollars. It's $6 dollars plus about a 20% tip. Hell, if we're honest you'll probably leave a $10 and feel too embarrassed to ask for your change so you can leave exactly $1.20.
This is something I can't understand about Americans. Yanks seem to hate taxes and will do anything to lower them, but don't mind that the cheap touted prices for services or groceries or meals are actually much higher when you go to pay (sales tax, mandatory tipping, hidden fees).

Not true, the Scots are pasty as fuck and they're tight bastards to a man.

The only difference between a waiter and a McDonald's employee is that the waiter carries the food to your table for you. And even that happens sometimes at McDonald's if you order something that is not already ready.
You are saying that I should pay 20% of the price of the meal for the "service" of carrying my food?
Not only that, but 20% of the price of the entire meal for never fucking being there when I want you to. At McDonald's, if you want something more to drink, you can just walk over to the cashier and buy one more coke. At a sit-down restaurant though? You have to make eye contact with a fucking waiter (seemingly professionally trained at never making eye contact), then wait for him to come over, explain what you want (note, to a guy who doesn't even earn minimum wage apparently), then wait for him to bring it to you, which can take anything from 20 seconds to eternity since waiters not always write stuff down and sometimes do forget.

All in all 20% of the price of the meal for a worse service. No thank you.

white people are the good tippers if we divide by race actually. God help you if you are a waiter and a large black group comes in because you ain't gettin tipped shit.

To be fair, it's not like some European countries went all in on that either. In Britain we still insist on measuring things in lots of arbitrary leftover Imperial units, and other than pints of beer the only thing that helps is teaching kids how different-base number systems work.

Units are weird, some of the people trying to come up with an exact universal-constant measurement for a kilogram have produced a super-smooth silicon orb that the eye kinda slides off because the edges are too sharp and silicon inherently looks evil, feels like someone photoshopped it into your vision or it's got some kind of eldrich legendary relic powers, even if the effect doesn't come across properly in a digital photo.

I am white enough to realize that your employer should pay you

Well of course. He just stabbed a guy who he thought was white.

Think of it as extortion fee for not fucking (sometimes literally) with your food when you're not looking.
Remember, that dude earns less than minimum wage and is likely a high-school dropout and therefore not qualified for any real job, so it wouldn't be beneath him.

>a super-smooth silicon orb that the eye kinda slides off because the edges are too sharp and silicon inherently looks evil, feels like someone photoshopped it into your vision or it's got some kind of eldrich legendary relic powers
please tell me they can mass produce them for domestic ownership

It wouldn't be beneath him even if I do bribe him because why would he respect the bribe?
I prefer McDonald's to this to be honest. Especially when there is a lot of people there, the kitchen is so rushed that there is literally no time to fuck with the food.

Veeky Forums is populated by hobbits.

Not that guy, but that would be silicon the metal, not silicon the softish stuff that you put inside boobs. So it'd just be a metal ball

It's a 'pay now' or 'pay later' mentality.
Americans would in general, at least back in the day, prefer to 'pay now' rather than later.
That's also the reason why the concept of layaway failed in the US.

And tipping isn't mandatory in the US, it's customary, you're not obligated to tip for any reason - that has went to the Supreme Court as extortion, and the anti-tipper won. It's mandatory in France, however, where it's a literal surcharge on the receipt and failing to pay means jail.

When I was a waiter at a place in TX, Mexicans were the best tippers.

Not Mex-Americans mind you, the full on no English Mexicanos

All in all. I am glad I live in America where the tipping system exists.

I'd rather get served at a restaurant where they feel they have to work for that tip. The harder they work, the more they get tipped, and this often results in them getting paid above minimum wage, and I get served properly. It's something I appreciate.

Some places don't do tips, and those places suck because I would rather not get served by a minimum wage-slave who doesn't feel that any extra effort is worth anything.

Most of the time the tipping is a non-issue, because by just being halfway competent you are getting paid above minimum wage for just being friendly to customers. The only ones bitching about tipping are those who suck at offering friendly service.

God bless America. Europoor is shit. Good day, gentlemen.

>It's mandatory in France, however, where it's a literal surcharge on the receipt and failing to pay means jail.
What the fuck are you spouting

>shortly after you could no longer pay rent, utilities, food, and make car payments on minimum wage.
You're not supposed to be able to do that though.

Sure, equate fucking over employees for profit to some local quirk. That makes sense.

>silicon the metal
silicon is actually metalloid, not metal
>the softish stuff that you put inside boobs
is actually called silicone, not silicon

Sadly not, since they had to get this expert jeweler to polish it to perfect smoothness for months, then they realized they hadn't accounted for isotopes and enriched some more silicon in a Russian nuclear centrifuge previously used for making Cold War nukes before having their expert polish it again, which upset them because they might get beaten to making the Perfect Kilogram by a super-fine set of scales that has to be kept away from all unlogged magnetic metals in a facility unreachable by vehicle so they can tie the kilogram to energy itself.

It even has a backstory like a relic weapon, and it's just for determining Avogadro's Number as accurately as humanly possible so they can tie the Kilogram to Planck's Constant based on the doomsphere which is so pure the largest individual impurity is one copper atom to each three billion silicon atoms. Fucking Aussies.

user, failing to pay the receipt ANYWHERE except lawless places results in jail time.
Dine-n-dash is a crime.

user, I have never seen or heard of a surcharge on my receipt when I go out to eat, in my country, France.
The only thing that there is on it is the price of my food, not some waiter surcharge.

What the fuck do you think the minimum wage should represent, user? Workhouse living, food banks, etc?
The minimum wage should enable a dignified existence, not destitution.

Yes you are. It's the point of the minimum wage

Minimum Wage is supposed to represent entry level jobs for High-Schoolers and such getting workplace experience, not those living on their own and owning their own houses etc.
The idea is that they move on to greener pastures, not stick around at a dead end job.

That idea died 30-ish years ago when student debt became exponential. In the 50s, a part time minimum wage job would pay for half of a year's college tuition, and a full-time job between semesters could pay for the rest of it. Nowadays you'd have to work about 110 hours a week year-round to do that.

>This argument again
Just don't go out then, and save money by making your own food, you save money anyway, and you don't have to worry about your good getting spit on, or your drinks watered down.
>It shouldn't be like that
But it is, deal with it, or again, don't go out.

And then you add on that many fields have shitty intern jobs (If you can even get them, since there's an oversaturation of candidates in most fields) and many "entry level" jobs require multiple years of relevant experience, and that's how you end up with liberal art majors who are now qualified to ask "why would you like fries with that?", but little else.
Doesn't help that many of the manual labor jobs are taken by Mexican slave labor.