Castle thread

Everything about castles goes here

Other urls found in this thread:

navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/12/30/exclusive-how-peter-mims-spent-a-week-hiding-in-a-warships-engine-room/
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

places to hide
a 1 man seige

navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/12/30/exclusive-how-peter-mims-spent-a-week-hiding-in-a-warships-engine-room/

don't you die on me

huh, castle art that isn't ludicrously oversized, now there's something you don't see every day

I used it for my group's castle after they got a writ of construction

limiting their resources helped make it a defensible but small castle. Probably helped that I've got two history majors

comfy

What kind of castles are best thread?

Low-Medieval? High-Medieval?
Low-Fantasy? High-Fantasy?
Enlightenment era?
Large? Small?
Good? Evil?
Classical European? Something else?

last one for now

>that chromatic aberration on the moon
Disgusting.

Neat tower though.

I like small classical European castles, ideally set next to a river for clean water and fresh fish

Japanese castles are pretty interesting though, convergent evolution is an amazing thing

Me I’m a sucker for pretty much anything. I do have turnoffs, but I can never determine what they are.

the world is obviously in a binary system with a red and blue star. While the planet's in the center, the moon looks like that

It's not a turn off, but "evil" looking castles don't do anything for me, unless there's a good explanation for the design

Fort Rapemurder better have a cool story behind it

Am I alright to post pixel art castles?

yes

Here’s another one, do you prefer realistic, or unrealistic castles?

Its not about realistic and unrealistic. It is about proportions and dispersion and contrast of detail.
The balance between strict planned clear forms and the little improvisations where geometrical planned symmetry meets reality or a conflicting draft.

basically
I love castles that incorporate the scenery into their design. Not every castle is gonna be on a perfect hill with a flat top, there's gonna be irregularities that make them unique

Daytime version

Nighttime version

It's only a model

I swear that's from a game.. maybe amega era..

>Fort Rapemurder

Welp, got my new BBEG base, now.

What would you do with your own castle? What features do you consider mandatory for your castle?

I’d want something that’s out of the way with great views, enjoying the easy life. Moats, dungeons, and elaborate towers really do it for me.

modern day, or as a medieval lord?

Modern day, I'd use the storerooms for a server farm that wouldn't need as much AC.

As a medieval lord, I'd have my castle built to be as comfy as possible while still being defensible. Put it on a bend on a river, have berry bushes planted, and build a dock for my pleasure barge down stream.

not true

I love all fortresses equally

What if your castle is actually a girl?

Explain further

She girl.

But she also castle.

that is the worst pavise I have ever seen

We've had ship girls/sluts, then there were sword boys literal bois who are swords.

And now this.

you already made a thread about this you sly shiposter

Let it go, bud. Getting responses to his shitposts is the closest thing he ever gets or will ever get to love or even real social interaction. He needs this.

GOOD JOB, YOUNG MAN. YOUR POST SURE IS CLEVER. GOOD FOR YOU.

actually fuck off

If fortified Saxon halls don't count, then my favourite sort would be the motte and bailey type. I would pay good money to see William the Bastard's lot building them up and down the countryside just to see how quickly they could do it.

I wish there was a category for castles that aren’t in traditional scenery. Usually it’s plains, forests, mountains, or seashore, which is nice, but I think seeing a castle in volcanic wastes, tundra, sahara, swampland, or jungle helps scream fantasy a bit more.

One of the reasons it's so hard to find is due to the problem with building them in those locations. Volcanic wastes, the tundra, and deserts don't have the people needed to build it and the population required to support a lord. Swampland just makes your castle sink into the ground, which isn't great. There's no jungles where Europeans generally were when building castles, so you don't see them very often unless you like bastion forts in the Caribbean

I’m talking art for those specific reasons. Like one thing I like in fantasy are the implications that we are seeing another planet that is arising in its own manner to be similar to medieval culture for whatever reason. Like in Dragon Age we see what it’d be like if NOT!France was mostly desert.

I'm pretty sure that's just the same girl with armour, a cloak that doesn't really match yet it does, and oversized gun, and a pavise that's too small to be useful in any way

I have a few that I think are from the real world.

I have a thing for cozy castles in snowy mountain ranges.

Not really a castle, but it looks close, I guess.