EDH/Commander General

"Fuck your combos" edition

Previously:
RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
What do you think of the spoilers so far?

Oh God I forgot the fucking link to the last thread

Previously:

I thought Azor was a planeswalker
>sphinxes rev on a stick
Fucking christ that's going to be annoying in U/W approach.

>I thought Azor was a planeswalker
Funny you should say "was" like that.

>I thought Azor was a planeswalker
I was expecting him to get a PW card too, but he put his spark in the Immortal Sun, which I guess qualifies him for creature status.

He was, but he appears to have given up his spark to fuel the Immortal Sun

>thread question
They haven't all been winners, but there's definitely some gold in the Golden City. Etali has stolen the show thus far for me.

I NEED PICTURES

PICTURES OF REANIMATION SPELLS

>What do you think of the spoilers so far?
Ixalan is the only set since i started playing that i give a crap about
all the stuff is cool imho

What the fuck is a spellslinger deck?

Go big or go home, losers.

He was a planeswalker. He gave up his spark to stop planeswalkers from planeswalking around ixalan.

One that focuses primarily on instants and sorceries. Izzet does a lot of this.

Dralnu is the best spellslinger.

anyone care to explain to me what the flying fuck Azor is doing on Ixilan?

Wizards, you already fucked Ravnica up. You don't need to fuck it up again.

A deck that primarily uses a vast array of instants and sorceries to achieve victory.

>hates Ravnica, a bastion for white people

Fuck off /pol/

That's pretty lazy, his abilities are just two spells smashed together on a 6/6 flyer, one of which is being printed this set

>anyone care to explain to me what the flying fuck Azor is doing on Ixilan?
Apparently he went there ages ago, decided "Fuck, no Planeswalkers should come here and then escape to tell the Multiverse this place exists" and made the Immortal Sun to turn Ixalan into a PW Roach Motel. It's unclear WHY Ixalan was so fucking important as the only thing of value on the fucking plane seems to be the Immortal Sun protecting it.

>What do you think of the spoilers so far?

2 cards that I need to get so far, which is pretty good this early in the spoiler season. Need the UR flip enchantment and a foil of the common vampire that draws on etb for 2cmc.

Ah I see, so do you run it creatureless or just creature light? Is it more combo or control?

melek, Mizzix of the Izmagnus, Wort, the Raidmother or Riku of Two Reflections

Typically, creature-light helps. You wanna have a few bodies to support your spellslinging and also block as necessary.

Typically creature-light. Cards like Snapcaster Mage, Kess, even Eternal Witness if you're in the colors for it, are still worth using.

asking again, what do I do with xira arien. what does jund dredge look like?

>Ravnica, a bastion for white people
wat (pic related)

>pic
>trapping himself as well as..
WHY!?

>It's unclear WHY Ixalan was so fucking important
>turn Ixalan into a PW Roach Motel
oh. that's stupid.

Welp, I guess I'll go back to ignoring new MTG completely. Shit's bad these days.

its a bad commander
you do nothing with it

>what do I do with xira arien
Politics! She's among the top political commanders, third to Zedruu who is second to Pheldagriff

>wat (pic related)
It's shitposters shitposting shitposters.
Yeah, the new MTG is pretty fucking stupid and boring. Don't know what they're planning on doing to Dominaria, I definitely know they'll fuck up Jhoira as a UR artificer.

>It's unclear WHY Ixalan was so fucking important
Bolas sent Vraska there for something, so it was apparently worth cordoning off. They just haven't said exactly what it was.

>If you aren't going to take advice then why ask for it?

i want to play jumblemorph. my group is fine with me continuing to play him after he's technically no longer legal.

why are people like this?

>Bolas sent Vraska there for something,
>something
>they haven't said what it is
boy oh boy I sure do love absolute buttfucking talentless hacks in charge of storytelling!

user, this is the set where we're supposed to find out what it is and it isn't out yet. Get your shit together.

It's just autism of an LGS player.

The sun. That's what bolas wanted
And he gets it

The immortal sun, which is...
A planeswalkers spark
Bolas will take it with him to dominaria and either trap a bunch of pws there while he does something else, or use it to fix the mending.

>user, this is the set where we're supposed to find out what it is and it isn't out yet.
>Get your shit together.
"Let's not tell anybody anything about why they should find this story arc interesting!"
"We swear, it's really interesting! You'll just have to be interested without us telling you why, though."

This is the storytelling equivalent of literal ass.

Debating if I should just rock the green and red elder dinos in Xenagod or if I should build gishath.

I think you want to be salty.
You enjoy the taste.

But wait, how does Bolas even know about the sun if it’s on Ixalan and any planeswalker who goes there gets trapped? Wouldn’t there be no one in the multiverse to talk about it?

>cast before damage when gishath hits someone

Because reasons probably

>But wait, how does Bolas even know about the sun if it’s on Ixalan and any planeswalker who goes there gets trapped? Wouldn’t there be no one in the multiverse to talk about it?
refer to

>boy oh boy I sure do love absolute buttfucking talentless hacks in charge of storytelling!

Touch call. I run both as Commanders. But if you put Xenagod in Gishath, you can use the God of Revels to pump up Zetalpa!

>wizards could use this chance to undo the mending
>we could have insanely powerful and interesting planes walkers again
>it'll put into perspective how powerful a mage is when they aren't a planeswalker
>they'll fuck it up or have the jacetice league stop it before it happens

Then again if bolas plans to fix the mending. Even with lili on the team chances are she might do it herself cuz then she won't need to worry about demon contracts

i kinda hate bolas as a recurring main villain

i hate the concept of a recurring main villain in general

the last sets i remember caring about the story were Lorwyn and Shadowmoor

Posted the wrong one user

Can anyone help me identify the card I am thinking of.

I'm pretty sure its a black enchantment that gives you a different effect for each type of card put into an opponents graveyard.

If the end of Rivals results in them un-Mending the multiverse, and Dominaria features the death of Jace, and a return to oldwalker actually fun and creative storytelling shenanigans, I'd be firmly back on board the 2018 MTG hype train.

My only guess is that he knew Azor fucked off to Ixalan and didn't leave
Also

...waste not?

Waste Not ?

Waste Not is the closest thing I can think of.

Thank you. Thats been driving me crazy for days.

If I remember correctly, can't Bolas use his meditation realm to look into other planes? He's apparently so powerful that it's risky for him to physically enter some planes because the strain of his existence could cause them to collapse, so he used alternate methods for keeping tabs on them.

I think the only info we explicitly got was "Bolas sent Vraska there", but there's an established lore reason they could use to back it up.

Anyone have any experience with Neheb?

Which one is your favorite out of these? Without knowing the build types...

yes

neheb is baller

only play him if you want to watch everyone burn to death, including possibly yourself

I like that you can afford all these commander decks but can't afford a phone made past 2005

> He's apparently so powerful that it's risky for him to physically enter some planes because the strain of his existence could cause them to collapse

That sounds plausible pre-mending but post-mending?

>Bolas sent Vraska there for Treasure

Grenzo or Horobi. The Horobi is foil too, so thats pretty.

>Thread Question
Way better than IXA
the only card from IXA that made it into my groups decks was sunbirds, and that was mostly in UGx decks that arent doing anything fair regardless
theres several cards im actively looking forward toward specifically for edh, not even my cube or legacy/vintage

Zedruu is by far the most fun commander I can think of. Don't build it the idiot's "Hur dur I give you steel golem" build though because that's obvious and boring as hell.

>Without knowing build types
o uh... hmm probably Edric because he's an absolute beast.

Grenzo

Honestly all the treasure cards are one of my favorite things. I like little artifact tokens like treasures and clue a lot, I hope they add more support for them in rivals since they've only spoiled like one so far.

One of the books talks about Bolas setting up special protections in a plane he was meeting Tezzeret in because he didn't want to inadvertently destroy it planeswalking in.

Jfc what planes are powerful enough to hold bolas besides dominaria? Wait. Can it even hold him? If I remember right umezawa defeated him but it was just a projection of him yes?

Vhati il dal is the only good taste
Ramirez would be cool but then again theres so many sweet legos from legends
rest are bad

I don't care what the flavor text says. Ramirez is a girl and I want to have a threesome with her and Anafenza

Is it just me or would that guy be shit in constructed?

I think it might have been specifically a lesser plane, rather than it being the usual deal. Tarkir was strong enough to hold Bolas and Ugin at the same time pre-mending and they're comparable in strength.

Eternal or Worthy?

Ramirez was just ahead of the times. He knew only girls would be allowed to be pirate captains, so he posed as one.

GAAIV is probably the best commander there, though Brago offers some stiff competition. Zedruu is the most fun.

I laughed, but that really didn't need to be a gif.

IIRC he just has to arrive either with some setup or at a grixis Leyline Nexus to not rape the plane into oblivion with his draconic hugeness. It's likely that after the mending the damage he can do simply by 'walking in is greatly reduced. Mostly because he shows up casually in at least a couple places.

I am so tired of Meren of Clan Nel Toth.

Story time?

ur dumb the animation is the best part!
playing as or against?

Sky bind plus orzhov Daxos. How can I abuse this?

meren's just boring goodstuff, gets old

I am so tired of Grand Arbiter Augustine the Fourth.

that isn't how you say ezuri claw of progress

Silly user, that’s not how you spell “Narset, Enlightened Master”.

All I've got is Bishop of Rebirth, Reveillark or Sun Titan

One of the obvious uses is that it makes Daxos difficult to kill as long as you have three mana open, since you can launch him into orbit any time someone points removal at him.

Just got a bunch of unstable fullarts; what is a good RGx "lands" commander?

I am so tired of EDH.

thrasios+someone red

Riku of Two Reflections?

Why are full art lands like 3 dollars a pop when unstable packs are 4 dollars? Are you not guaranteed one?

gonna hit someone today with a 6/7 goyf and itll be sick

add blue and play RUG

ramping counts as 'lands' right??

Riku does ramp pretty hard but I"d say if you want to focus on using lands to wind the game then something like Borbygmgygmso enraged (sp) is a pretty good bet. There's angry omnath too.

They're probably not exactly tier 1 generals (or even 2.5 like Riku) but in a casual enough group they could be fun.

nah, it's just that there's no other real value in the set

unstable rares are like 5 cents

Menn and denn think about it.

How much is too much?

My Omnath elemental tribal / landdrop deck is 20something $, I can make a top synergy deck at around 700

My buddy runs the mono red one as a commander. It's fucking nuts and will kill you out of no where if you let him connect. Don't be surprised when the table won't let him stick.