With the excpetion of the present day setting and the ((rich 1%)) elves...

With the excpetion of the present day setting and the ((rich 1%)) elves, this movie is utterly bland Tolkiensque stuff with a okayish buddy cop story. Why are people comparing this to Shadowrun?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PRRoAZcwQMY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

With the ability to see every thread on a board at once, why are people making multiple threads about this movie?

Because Shadowrun is just aping the surface levels of Cyberpunk and slapping in bland Tolkienesque tripe to fill out the rest

There's no Tolkien stuff in Shadowrun. Are you the kind of guy who thinks elves = Tolkien?

Because it’s something representing a specific niche in a medium that rarely if ever happens. Plenty of bad movies get followings like this. Another Will Smith movie, Wild Wild West is pretty bad but remains memorable for being a steampunk western movie.

Really it’s about lack of competition.

Elves, orcs, dwarves, dragons, etc.

It's all lifted straight from Tolkien. Stop sucking Catalyst's dick.

Oh no it's retarded.

Because people always compare things to other things to explain them.

>A bunch of magic fantasy stuff couched in a kind of modern setting? That sounds like Shadowrun!

There.

>Tolkiensque stuff
This user would have it so no more elves or orcs appear in movies from here on out. How boring.

Remember to sage duplicate threads

>Tolkiensque
Words losing meaning.

Tolkien invented Orcs at the very least, so anything featuring them owes at least a little to Tolkien.

Ah, so you're baiting then.

Not him but Shadowrun orcs are absolutely nothing like Tolkien's. All of SR's races are a far departure from LotR, they're only comparable in name.

If anything, Bright has only shown me how many people don't know anything about Shadowrun yet are so quick to judge and trash it.

Tolkien DID invent Orcs you fucking mong

Bright IS very Tolkienesque. Their past is basically Lord Of The Rings and the elves were trying to summon Not-Sauron back into the world.

No, he invented the modern perception of them. Orcs have been around for literally centuries.

Orcs are tough, strong and slow
Elves are quick, and pretty
Magic is rare and tightly controlled by large organizations (state or corp)
Urban police are very corrupt, violent, and militarized

No similarities between Bright and Shadowrun here.

Magic in Shadowrun is not rare at all.

>not rare
What is it, less than 1-5% of the world's population can use magic?
Dragons and immortal elves do not count towards this.

by book it's 1/10000 that has any magic worth something and mages are licensed and regulated.

Not only is that an incredibly shallow and debatable comparison, I was talking about comparing Shadowrun with LotR, not Bright. Learn to read.

this stuff is not folklore you guys
folklore is different
"generic"fantasy = tolkien-esque

Because Shadowrun is an empty appeal to the aesthetic of cyberpunk

>mages are licensed and regulated
Ahahaha, way to miss the point of Shadowrun.

>If anything, Bright has only shown me how many people don't know anything about Shadowrun yet are so quick to judge and trash it.
You're right, how could I have gotten the impression that you were talking about Bright.

Compared to Bright where the only magical thing you can have is a wand and you need to be special to use it.

>Orcs have been around for literally centuries.

Nope.

>tfw no qt3.14 flatchested, overall-wearing, acrobatic magic elf gf
Tikka is cute, CUUUTE!

You're an actual buffoon.

Yeah it's not like people ever break the law. Drugs are illegal and nobody does those. Nobody evades taxes either

>elf fucking shits

Please explain what was tolkien about this movie besides the LotR races? Pretty sure Tolkien never wrote about cops, gangsters, or gun fights. Also pretty sure you didnt watch this movie.

That's not true. Magic existed long before the Wands and Brights. It's just outlawed now.

youtube.com/watch?v=PRRoAZcwQMY

Hey, it’s not rape if it’s an elf.

Honestly when I first saw her all I could think of was Leeloo.

>jew meme
Through my archeological pursuits I have found a retard. Behold his skull!

If you believe that you aren't staring at a marketing campaign in action, you are incorrect.

The gas station fight was unironically more engaging than any action scene in any capeshit this year

In Shadowrun you play a group of runners frequently fighting against (((them))) and sometimes losing horribly.

Bright fought against (((them))) and lost horribly to (((their))) marketing machine.

I'd say there's a pretty good connection.

No you are quite right, Shadowrun invented putting elves, dwarves, orcs and dragons together.

Pretty sure William Blake has an Orc in his mythos

Stop using that shitty /pol/ """"""""""meme""""""""""

Can anyone please name the earliest source that features orcs, dwarves and elves together in it? Everything else is secondary and you can just shut the fuck up about this.

It's because audienves are starved for this kind of setting in tv/film media, so they have very few things to compare them to

It is in-lore, but the actual way the game is designed ignores this

> tfw no medium chested 9.8./10 qt3.13 blond and freckled girl centaur in the whole movie
> no chance to phantasise about defending her against mean racial slurs. Hey, Horse Pussy!!

Because this movie = shit
shadowrun = shit.

It's Shadowrun adjacent and is made by people who like to rile the SJW crowd. Of course Veeky Forums loves it, regardless of its actual quality.

Because the Sequel just got confirmed.

Why do Shadowrun fans think their setting is superior to anything?

Tolkein invented Orcs, Dwarves, and Elves.

There were myths that he gained inspiration from - dwarves being scandinavian mountain spirits, elves being nature spirits, and goblins being a type of dwarf (mischievous mountain dwelling monsters).

Tolkein gave dwarves and elves a civilization and culture, and invented the Uruk - which is the inspiration for modern Orcs.

This.
Shadowrun has always been a terrible setting with very little thought put into it.

The setting COULD be interesting with the way the pieces exist, but the actual game is shit and the people running the show these days are fucking terrible.

Shadowrun is a dumpster fire