The melee warlock

Im starting a campaign for D&D 5e soon and want to do a melee fiend warlock. But I am not sure if I should multiclass or anything of the such. Also is medium/heavy armor feat required for a melee warlock

why?

Seems like the worse possible warlock.

because of the pact of the blade nad various feats seem to make it viable. Plus its cool

Well that's some shit taste but here comes the help.

"viable" is a strong word, it's proably the worse melee option, and worse warlock option.

But if your going to it either use xanthars and take hexblade or start a warrior class for weapon and armour profs.

I made a dwarf wizard that could wear halfplate, was mostly so I wasn't super squishy and could survive using touch attacks

Go with some race that gives medium armor proficiency like dwarves and ignore Dex entirely. Pump up your Con, Charisma, and Strength. Early game, you'll be just as good at fighting as a fighter, with spells on top of it

You could multiclass with paladin but it might end up more paladin than warlock.

You get spells every short rest you can convert into smites and eldritch blast will give you some range help if you need it.

My total plan so far has been to start warrior and then go warlock go pact of the blade and fiend. Then get the invocations focused on melee and the melee focused spells and use feats to get heavy armor or something of the such

>Its not mechanically optimal so its shit taste

Get fucked with a harpoon

Human (Noble) Bladelock (Fiend) with Heavy Armor Feat. Born with a curse, left his country to find greener lands where his people could settle. Hates/envies elves

Use both a Eldritch Sword and Eldritch Blasts.

matey, i rather he be fucked with a squid fishin' jig.

It's really not good, hexblade (Xanathar's guide) is what you want.

If you really want to start as a Paladin then pick up Warlock later. I'd recommend 6 Paladin (aura of protection is pretty damn good) and 14 levels in Hexblade Warlock. Although if you really must have fiend it's not terrible. Taste is subjective but he won't have a very good time playing if his character is a bit shit.

Bladelock isn't the worst but it does suffer from performing a little under average.

He'll need proficiency in Medium armour before he can pick up that feat.

Better to multiclass than drop a free feat and an early attribute gain.

>If you really want to do this start as a Paladin then pick up Warlock later.

England fails me, sorry.

Could go Mountain Dwarf, but would lose the reference.

Hexblade, in Xanathar's Guide. Blade Pact. Eldritch Smite. Thirsting Blade.

You get Cha to attack and damage, medium armor prof, two attacks, and the ability to smite like a Paladin with your scaling, refreshing spellslots.

And the starting feat.

Plus their attributes aren't that good for a warlock.

Also if you go Hexblade you start with prof in Medium armour, as a human it'd allow heavy armor use at level 1.

Hmm. Since it has to be 1h, and you also get shields, you could use shields too.

That's 19 A.C. in nameplate with +2 Dex, while attacking with your casting DC stat.

*halfplate

Doesnt have to be 1h if you have blade pact, which is great if you wanna dip into fighter for great wep fighting style or want to go polearms.

Currently in a campaign with a melee warlock.

1st level I went fighter and have been solely warlock thereafter. I went for STR over CHA in my stat swap and have been enjoying the great old one blade pact.

Definitely fun.