media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/
Question: What uncommon race/class pairing have you had the most fun playing as? If you have not why haven't you tried it?

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByY8A9q7z
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Orc dicks being bigger and better than puny little Human or Elvish cocks.

I want to try a kobold wild magic sorcerer someday, I want to try and make it winged, the gimick is that he thinks he's a draconic sorcerer

Has anybody bothered to upload the ToA map pack yet?

Is there a single GM in existence who would let me have a wagon and have it not be destroyed?

It's like every GM want to destroy wagons and every player who has had a wagon has lot it.

Tiefling Barbarian

>Already socially stunted because we lived in the boonies and no one trusted Tieflings
>Family gets murders (shocker right), raised by Barbarians
>Literally how no idea how to socialize, pretty much say whatever I want to whoever I want all game
>Only get us into a fight we wanted to avoid twice in like 160hrs

I've only played a half-elf cleric and a high elf wizard, because I've been playing for about a year and my group is super slow.

>What uncommon race/class pairing have you had the most fun playing as?
Human/Champion

Thoughts on added effects for damage types? They do basically nothing in 5th edition

All damages apply if dealt a critical hit or critical failure on forced save. Target can make a save at the end of their next turn to end effect (if valid). DC= 8+Profency+Ability modifier for attack

>Slashing
Target takes 1d4 bleed damage at the start of each turn. CON save

>Piercing
Next attack against the creature has Advantage

>Bludgeoning
If the foe is one size above you or less, it is knocked prone

>Fire
The target catches fire and takes 1d4 fire damage at the start of each turn until it uses an action to put out the flames, or succeeds on a CON save

>Cold
The target is frozen and is restrained until the end of its next turn.

>Lightning
Lightning leaps from the target to another random target within 10 feet of the one struck, dealing half the damage taken by the first.

>Thunder
The target is stunned and deafened. CON save to end

>Acid
Attack roles against the creature score a critical hit on 19 or 20. CON save to end

>Poison
The target is poisoned and takes 1d4 poison damage at the start of each of its turns. CON save

>Radiant
The target is blinded. CON save

>Necrotic
The target does not receive any health from the next healing effect which targets it

>Psychic
Target is Charmed and Stunned. Intelligence save to end

>Force
The target is knocked 10 feet backwards from the source of the damage.

Thoughts? Alternate ideas?

Why people insist on using Unearthed Arcana content that clearly will never be published?

I'm playing a lv 3 Shadar Kai Gloomstalker with a bow. Is it worth my time to keep pushing for multiattack at 5 (we may only ever get to 5 before we start something else), or go for rogue 1/fighter 1 to get sneak attack and close quarters fighting style?

Reminder that it is GAY to multiclass

Instead of making a goddamn table and shit you should apply to the situation.

i.e. a golem falls into pieces and is stunned temporarily before it tries to reform if you hit it with a critical bludgeoning hit or lightning causes it to bug up and attack at random.

Adapt the monsters in your game, not damage types themselves.

Just to clarify - jumping uses the strength SCORE, not modifier?

This simply reduces combat to whichever side’s caster gets high initiative wins. Most of those effects are rediculously strong for just being damage types.

Reminder that it is GAY to take feats

The distance you can jump WITHOUT an athletics check is equal to your strength score

it's a good job i'm gay then, or 5e would be fucking dull

There is nothing wrong with multiclassing as long as you:

A) Shut down the very few bullshit multiclasses such as sorlock, single level cleric dip on wizard, hexblade dip, etc.
B) Don't allow multiclassing with UA or homebrew material, not that you should have those when you have multiclassing.
C) Discourage new players from trying multiclassing if they clearly don't know what they're doing to avoid them making themselves weaker.
D) Ask for a suitable character explanation for the multiclass.

Feats are fine as long as you're not playing with only newbies.

Hey, I've been polishing my Jojo inspired Hamon monk subclass. How is it looking now? Some of you were kind enough to give me lots of advice last night, thanks again.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByY8A9q7z

Pretty sure, yeah

D is by far the most important. I also disallow classing into Wizard, Sorcerer, and Druid. Warlock too unless they can somehow find a way to snag a pact (not easy). Wizards and Druids are things that take years to achive, and sorcerers are born, not made

Nice, thanks.

Need some help killing a broken rouge pc as a fighter. Things had been building since he joined and finally came to a head last session; when we started fighting he'd hide, spam vicious mockery, then stack movement to flee when I'd get too close and start over.

>looking that smug for a lizard that small

Reminder that it is GAY to use magic items

>rouge pc
ok but what's the class?

Also a rouge

>we're hot shit we killed a wyrmling
>little do they know mama's just over the nearest hill

>Wizard
Multiclassing into wizard makes no less sense than a wizard getting another class level in wizard. You don't just suddenly learn how to cast wish in the middle of a dungeon after beating up some big enemy. It's much easier to learn grease and some level 1 spells at that point. So, in both cases, you need a suitable downtime.
>Sorcerer
Sorcerers ARE made. They are basically warlocks gaining powers from a pact with a dragon or artifact or fey or whatever the heck, except that their children and grandchildren and so forth may potentially also inherit their sorcerous power so many sorcerers aren't the original sorcerer who made the pact.
>Druid
Probably the hardest, yes, but the same deal as with wizard - downtimes. A druid doesn't make much sense suddenly gaining powers without a downtime, and so does multiclassing into druid.
>Warlock
By far both the easiest and hardest (though pretty much the same as sorcerer) since the power gain is immediate and it's circumstanstial. However, a high intellect character such as an occultist should be able to work out how to summon and make a pact, whereas with charisma you'd expect that you have to get lucky.

Errr. Bard/Rouge I guess? Maybe something else too, I'm only getting this from reading what he said in the post

are you an idiot? why are you infighting? and why is the rest of the party not helping you or the DM not taking one of your PCs away for no longer being part of the party?

lv 1 cleric dip on a wizard is fine as long as the wizard is a Theurge.

>Hide then spam vicious mockery
They reveal themselves again automatically when they cast that spell or attack or whatever.
You can't do jack shit about kiting other than being a proper fighter who took goddamn CBE and SS and mowing down faggots like that with your crazy ranged strength.

Your best bet is obtaining haste cast on you, outrunning the rogue and then grappling+shoving them prone unless they have athletics/acrobatics expertise which they might well do. And if they do, do it anyway because you can make several grapple/shove attempts in a turn. If just outright being the shit out of them isn't easier.

Dm is hands off and me and the rouge we're isolated up until the end of last session when he made it back to the party

If you're a theurge that's even more reason you don't need to multiclass. Sure, it means you could have obtained healing word or something anyway, but the real brokenness is that you go straight up to 21 AC.

You should preserve the non-armoured clerics in the form of favoured soul sorcerer and theurge wizard because there aren't any other unarmoured healers.

It's literally homebrew tier by now

Do you allow Lore Wizard?

Why do people insist on bladesinger, one level hexblade dips and revised ranger multiclassing?

Because I want to play a minotaur

Yes, UA is basically officially Homebrew, did you not get the memo

>Wizard
The difference between a wizard gaining a level and multiclassing is that foundation. It takes time to learn arcane magic. You usually need months of study and practice to interact with the weave
>Sorcerer
No, it comes from some sort of ancestry, be it draconic or otherwise. They *could* say "I was part dragon the whole time", but thats bullshit
>Druid
A LOT of downtime, unless you're a ranger. On that note, ranger too actually. In fact, them more then anyone thanks to the implied experience with favored enemy
>Warlock
That doesn't conflict with what I said

Why would you bother pumping everything into AC? Its a waste of perfectly good other options?

You can get a second domain to further play up a specific diety. You can spend your cleric memorizations on healing and buffs leaving your wizard slots for other things. Armor is great and all, but min-maxing it isnt worthwhile as long as youve got fighter types to back you up.

You should talk to the other player and decide a way to fight it out off screen in a method that preserves your friendship IRL, yet comes to a suitable conclusion so one of you can make a new character

>Why do people insist on bladesinger
Nothing wrong with Bladesinger

>one level hexblade dips and revised ranger multiclassing?
see

Still looks cool. I have a request make an NPC with it! I kinda want to put one in my game at some point.

Dipping into ranger makes zero fucking sense. Things like favored enemy would take years of experience in character. Same with warlock, especially hexblade, since you can't just summon something like that

I want my goddamn warforged making a warlock pact with the Ghost in the Machine

>did you not get the memo
It says: "This Is Playtest Material"

The thing is, most UA isn't playtest anymore, it was either discarded as trash or officially published on XGE

Tried talking to them after our second session when he stole from the group. I explained that that shit wouldn't fly and he needed to tone it down but he played it off as "it's what my character would do"

>Ghost in the Machine
The author is not working on D&D anymore, so this will never be published

then maybe talk to the DM and have him step in? If the DM kills his character off/univites the player, there is no need to worry about pvp.

I know you said the DM was hands off, but implore them to reconsider as it is imposing upon your fun.

then maybe as a group you should kick the fuck out of him, i'm sure it's what you would do

Need a good dungeon to rip from an old adventure for a one shot. No problem converting from old editions, what's good for challenge, atmosphere and interesting mechanics?

Would be cool for them to do a 'playtest cleanup' and just collect the things that are still waiting for a home or being worked on.

I meant its basically official homebrew

>Would be cool for them to do a 'playtest cleanup' and just collect the things that are still waiting for a home or being worked on.
agreed

In our next game, we were going to start around level 8 or so, but we wanted there to give a benefit to single class characters since by that point in time, most multiclass builds are operational. We were kicking around the idea that if your character is only a single-class you can take a second sub-class, but the features of the second sub-class will be delayed by a few levels - probably 2 or 3. Multiclass characters would follow RAW. Could this work or will it be a clusterfuck?

Rip a WoW dungeon. I would recommend Mara, Shadowfang Keep or literally anything from vanilla. BRD would be great for a huge one

Is there a ruling for this?
In wot4e seems like elemental disciplines like Unbroken Air don't count as spells and can thus be pumped with as much ki as you can spare. Is this RAW and RAI?

Side question, Unbroken Air and Water Whip should count as magical damage right?

I always kinda assumed monks used psyonics to cast. Could have sworn I read that somewhere

>Slashing
Makes sense and not overpowered

>Piercing
Why advantage? Seems a bit arbitrary.

>Bludgeoning
Needs to be a save but otherwise good.

>Fire
Makes sense and not overpowered

>Cold
Way too strong, even with a save. Cold I would go with slowing by 10 feet.

>Lightning
Potentially strong. Not sure how I feel about this one, but it probably needs a Dex save for the second target. My gut instinct is to add a save or paralyze effect to lightning but paralyze is also super powerful.

>Thunder
Stunned is too much. Deafen is perfectly fine though.

>Acid
An interesting effect and not too powerful, but feels just a bit arbitrary.

>Poison
Makes sense and not overpowered, considering how much resistance and immunity to poison there is

>Radiant
Makes sense and is not overpowered

>Necrotic
Makes sense but needs a Wisdom save.

>Psychic
Stunned is too much. Charm or Fear would make sense.

>Force
Makes sense but needs a Strength save.

I just meant as for the damage, magical to overcome resistance to non magical damage.

Well, it would be nice for it to have some mechanics linked to it, like if it was 2e, I don't have a huge amount of time to prepare

Sorcerers very explicitly can be made, such as a character falling ass-backwards into a fount of magical energy that suffuses him with power. Wizards and Druids can be explained pretty easily. About as easily as Fighter, honestly, since it explains that becoming a Fighter isn't just picking up a sword. First level Fighters themselves have years of training and experience. It also makes about as much sense for a Fighter to take a level in Wizard as it does for him to select Eldritch Knight as his archetype. Or for a Paladin to select their Oath after they reach third level and have spent a demonstrable amount of time adventuring away from their fellow paladins.

Every class can be difficult or easy to explain multiclassing. The key is in how the player does it story-wise. It does matter a bit why they decide to do it mechanically, but there's absolutely nothing inherently wrong with wanting to try new things or experiment with options in the system. There will always be those fuckers that are clearly trying to exploit balance stuff, though.

I mean, the dungeon is already there. You just plug in the right monsters.

Get the pdf of the 4e book Dungeon Delve and read Tales from the Yawning Portal

My DM just made me use the Book of Vile Darkness since I needed to use it in order to finish a quest. Now I'm turning evil against my will. How do I fix this?

Get a wish

Get a better DM

do good
or you know go with it and make the DM regret that he ever fucked with your alignment. a truly evil motherfucker would rip a chasm in his plot.

Given that my PC is evil now, I don't think I can come up with an in character reason to become not evil.

not him but
>tfw you're the better DM

Get a Cleric or Paladin to cast Ceremony on you and use the Atonement option, then buy a bunch of powdered silver so they spam it until they make the check.

chaotic neutral or lawful?

also what happened and what is your level/class race background and shit? deets man deets.

I kinda wanna play an acolyte of the punished god.

Would redemption paladin be a good choice?
Maybe Barb?
Maybe both?

I think I'd enjoy playing a tavern brawler as well to smite with my fists.

>Piercing
The idea is that it pierces through your armor. It is weird though, any other suggestions?
>Overall
Is it really nessesary to have them make another save on some of these after critting or crit failing a different save. That basically means that none of these effects will ever kick in.
>Cold
10 feet is complete garbage compared to all these other effects. A cantrip does that better. Whats wrong with being restrained for a turn? They can still attack
>Lightning
Maybe stunned?
>Thunder
Deafened on its own is probably fine
>Acid
The idea is that it melts your armor so its easier to get a crit
>Necrotic
Why save? Its already not usually a big deal

I know that feel.
I also gotta vent my frustration.
>Tfw you're so autistic you know every rule but not a rules lawyer
>Then someone tries to rules lawyer you with an incorrect remembrance of the rules

I dunno man, my DM is the kind of guy who makes up bullshit right on the spot. I don't think I can ruin his plot given how he would use my actions to fuel the story.

Because there's some hot nonsense that people want in E5 and it's better than homebrewing it all.
I would fucking love to play an Artificer next time I played D&D but currently I'm just running games.

I played a Minotaur in a 3.5 game once. Level 10 holy Barbarian and it was the fucking best thing ever. I was basically righteous raging with none of the guff of Paladin holding me down. I remember specifically specifically kneecapping a Storm Giant with my Warhammer (2 hander w/ greatclub stats) and caving it's head in with my absurd strength. Was a fucking amazing game all around and had a great time.

Cool part was that because it was a high level game set in the DM's distant past we all got to impact the lore of the universe, and had stuff relating to our characters put into the world. I had a whole island of minotaurs created named after my own character, with a huge city that was literally a labyrinth.

Deep learning can now be used to feed bots sample texts and have the produce an original text in the same style.
With that, combined with existing chatbot software, do you guys think we could see the creation of a good DMbot in the near future?

Your DM is my style. Bullshit everything based on player actions.

But to that point, I'd never bullshit a player into turning evil against their will. If they don't want to do it I can bullshit a workaround.

>had stuff relating to our characters put into the world
Did it also have the caved in giants skull in the capital?

>The difference between a wizard gaining a level and multiclassing is that foundation. It takes time to learn arcane magic. You usually need months of study and practice to interact with the weave
Then explain how a fighter has no problems going from level 2 to level 3 for EK?
Explain magic initiate?
Explain ritual caster?
Explain any class that gains spellcasting at level 2?

judging by this thread i think we're still waiting on the first good DM

If a Moon Druid has the Primal Strike ability, which says your attacks in beast form count as magical, and they are Polymorphed into, say, a giant ape, are the giant ape's attacks magical? Or does it only apply to their Wild Shape attacks?

it's a wildshape modifier so it doesn't affect non-wildshape shapeshifting

>take Thunderwave
>proceed to win every encounter and invalidate multiple enemies as you have a 1st level spell that stuns everything in a 15ft cube
>even if you make the save happen immediately it's still strictly better Stunning Strike that has range, is less resource intensive, tends to have a harder save due to SAD classes unlike Monk, is accessible from level fucking 1, and effects multiple creatures
People like you are why no one takes homebrewers seriously.

I think the crit on 19 or 20 effect would be a good fit for Pierce, considering that pierce weapons tend towards precision

I didn't actually see the line about these taking effect on a critical hit. I assumed that these would always go off.

Restrained is only alright with a save. It completely cripples melee characters outside of melee range and otherwise puts them at disadvantage which is still huge. I would still go with slow because when cold does anything in 5e it slows things down.

How prevalent is Acid resistance/immunity in monsters?

Is the new XGE druid cantrip worth going all in for if I'm going for a shifter-like build?

what sort of in-game explanation could one have for giving their Valor Bard Raise Dead at 5th level?
pic somewhat related.

drum beats = heart beats. Will them to rise and return to the world of the living.

We were given a quest to take down this deity in the swers in the city, as cultists were allegedly trying to raise said deity to take over the town. We adventure down to some ruins, and find the room with the 'deity' behind a sarcophagi.

Along the way we got clues from a friendly cyclops that we had to use this book in the room to destroy the 'deity' or unleash it. So we did, or, well, I did. I pick up the book and started chanting some rituals to bring the 'deity' out of the sarcophagus. The 'deity' in question was some sort of celestial spirit that acted like an automaton.

The DM gave me a choice of either gaining control over the celestial, or I could destroy it to finish the quest. I decided to destroy the celestial. Up until that point our group had 'failed' our quests under the notion that we would be preventing a greater evil from sprouting up.

This time though, I wanted to change that as the quest giver was a church we had tense relationships with. The church was a major funder of this adventurer's union we were a part of, and so it was in my best interest to finish this quest so that my guild could still have funding.

I recite a passage from the book and destroy the celestial. The DM revealed that I was attuned to the Book of Vile Darkness and thats where I am now.

What's the best way to flavor a warlock with the Hexblade patron that doesn't take Pact of Blade?

Today, I fooled my players.
>Enter a tavern, find a mysterious hooded figure at the bar
>One player asks the barkeep about the person; barkeep just shrugs and keeps cleaning glasses.
>One tries to take a closer look, but fails to notice anything other than the figure's unusually motionless posture.
>One buys the figure a pint of ale, but receives no thanks.
>The last one pats the figure on the 'shoulder', only to catch the robe with their vambrace and pull it off, revealing a stick with a bucket under the robe.
>The NPCs in the tavern, along with a player who was in on the gag, all fall about laughing.
>mfw
:)

does anybody have a decent Witch class brew, or should I just flavor one of the standard casters, e.g. Druid?

>Only occurs on a crit fail or critical hit on the save
>Win every encounter
And you're the reason people don't take advice on here seriously

On top of that I should say that I'm a wood elf cleric of the tempest domain. Was chaotic good, but now neutral evil.

metal. I did that exact thing with my 9th lv Dragonborn Bard, but he plays a guitar and a flute.

thats pretty funny, user.