DnD brainlet?

>Meet really friendly guy on Omegle movies tag
>Start talking about DnD
>Gives me a scenario
>I'm stuck in a room with the floor sinking, with an hourglass in the middle on a pedestal
>Immediately suggest breaking the hourglass
>Think I'm a genius
>Floor sinks and I get fucking murdered by Wyverns
>He laughs and says "Literally everyone I've ever met on here breaks the hourglass"
>"Usually they at least try other things, you immediately broke the hourglass"

I'm clearly a brainlet, should I play this game?

It's entirely up to the GM to decide what the hourglass does, so you're not really a brainlet. At least, not without any set-up or context clues. A diminished scenario like that leaves little room for guesswork.

By the way, I'm fairly certain the "answer is to turn the hourglass upside down.

when you describe an empty room that only contains people are going to try and interact with

I would turn the hourglass to the side, so no sand is moving anywhere.

Should have attacked a wall, or teleported away, or asked god for advice, or diplomanced the wyverns. That how actual d&d works, not le smart puzzles

Imagine playing with someone so unimaginative.

This.

play a barbarian and get praised for being a brainlet
as long as you make the table laugh you're tolerated

I hate players like that, though I've literally never GM'ed or played in a game with a barbarian that didn't do exactly this. It's a shame.

It's especially disappointing since the ur-barbarian, Conan, is quite cunning.

>Not sundering the sand
>Not killing the wyverns

What kind of weak ass character are you playing?

no, he's right, that's how D&D works
you want puzzles, you play OSR

this, that guy sounds retarded, but you also sound retarded for not asking what else was in the room

congrats, you are both retarded

It's due to D&D heavily encouraging min-maxing and most people over-associating all kinda of intelligent with the INT stat. The skills and abilities Barbarians have access to have nothing to do with INT, so to invest in INT means purposefully playing a suboptimal character when it comes to combat and similar encounters. And since most people (and the rulebook writers for D&D, to be fair) conflate a low INT stat with being stupid in every way, the Barbarian has to be played like a clueless bumbling idiot.
INT should be the capacity for retaining and applying learned knowledge, paraphrased as "book smarts". An INT stat of 2 should not prevent someone from speaking languages, for example.

This.... and its very unfortunate
t. oldfag thats played d&d since 1981

>flip the hourglass
>floor shoots up to the ceiling, crushing you

The answer was to drop your pants and shit all over the table in real life.

>table
It was on omegle, user.

more like fag who's been crossposting to here from /r/matthewmercer since 2018

Isn't it simply down to the fact that a Barbarian is just a brute oriented around smashing things with little formal training or finesse and going into a rage?

Conan isn't the archetypal "barbarian" in this case; that'd be the kind of a savage you'd see raping your buddy Publius after smashing his face in really hard as more and more of Western Rome is falling apart.

Besides, 10 INT, which most people playing big stupid fighters still try to maintain, doesn't mean a stupid character; it means a character of average book smarts.

Except that "raging" doesn't have to mean foaming at the mouth and smashing shit like the Hulk, as most people seem to think. It can very easily be interpreted as a battle trance or zealous resolve, among other things.

Just as well, there's no reason a barbarian has to be a "brute", even if that is the most common interpretation. To me, "barbarian" describes more of a culture than the way one acts, and even then, it's easy enough broaden the archetype beyond that.