What are your opinions on centauric races?

What are your opinions on centauric races?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RMJsqXzz5zs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

not for lewding

Horsecock is love, horsecock is life.
Especially on the women

objectively, they should be some of the naturally best Cavalry in most settings due to
>humanoid brain
>one creature instead of two
beyond that, they dont serve much of a purpose. Ranger parties too, of course. beyond that, they dont do pack/work animal stuff understandably. they are too big for most buildings. etc.
now, something the size of a halfling/gnome on a dog or pony sized body is something entirely different. they would make terrible cavalry, but excellent irregulars that could do harassment on caravans and troop movements. they could navigate the woods better than large creatures and still be fast enough to go out into smaller sections of open ground.

>objectively, they should be some of the naturally best Cavalry
Not when one wrong move snaps their spine

They can be pretty neat.

its doubtful that would happen.
1) evolution wouldn't create a system that functions that poorly
2) its fantasy, and in fantasy tropes, it wouldnt funtion that poorly.
besides, cavalry isn't always lances. there is no reason they can't have bows or primitive firearms.

Dog sized, you say?

They can be super interesting, but most of the time they're a bitch to have around. Like any humanoid race with extra parts, they tend to fuck up mechanically, usually getting the short end of the stick because they can run and jump faster but the same centauric nature is their burden. Trouble sleeping, trouble climbing stairs, trouble getting into tight places, trouble sneaking, they're essentally a permanent rider and that's ass for adventuring.

They're pretty cool.

I like 'em.
I like most races that have a different logistical footprint than "normal dude on two legs"

>close, but no dog head.
but yeah. think of the implications of just reducing the fucks down a couple sizes. you have a perfect ambush team that moves faster then humans on foot, for longer distance and is more maneuverable than horses and at the same time, is stealthier.
equip that fucker with a shortbow, a few bags of caltrops, alchemist's fire and a scimitar or rapier with leather barding and you have a pretty decent setup for raids.

horse pussy

the dog parts are the best parts though

I've always wondered, in what position do centaurs sleep? Horses sleep standing up, but humans sleep lying down. If a centaur slept like a horse, then they'd have some serious back problems from their top half just kind of dangling there. If they slept lying down then... well I don't know. There is likely a reason why horses don't sleep lying down.

>horses sleep standing up
>sleep standing up
>standing up
>up
A) you have never been to the country let alone a zoo
B) you have enhanced melanin and you have never been to the country let alone a zoo

Horses are pussies, that's why

I live in a rural area that's too hilly for a lot of people to have horses. Never interacted with them much. Also, it's been like five years since I was at a zoo.

They're a proud nomadic race who despise civilised agricultural races as weak and constantly raid them. Although they have a reputation for barbarism and savagery amongst most cultures, they're also recognised as superb archers and warriors, centaurs captured in battle are often spared if they agree to act as martial tutors for noble sons.

And centauress slaves are highly valued because if you breed them with a horse, you get a pure horse foal which is unusually intelligent and makes an excellent steed

>evolution
This is fantasy. Evolution would never create a centaur to begin with.

Horses CAN sleep standing up, because laying down makes them vulnerable in the wild, but they don't have too.

>youtube.com/watch?v=RMJsqXzz5zs

>What are your opinions on centauric races?

I'm a fan of giving Animal People/Beast Men a certain % chance of being born a Centaur Morph to add to their 'unnatural' appearance.

Like, you have Beast Men who're really just a man or something resembling a man at one point, but they've got the head of some animal, but it gets worse: maybe 1/20 or 1/30 is doesn't just have an animal's head, but also has a fucking centaur-body.... And by that I mean it's a horse, even if they're a lion, wolf, or even a deer.

>then my point stands. fantasy wouldn't make a creature without it being effective.

Then how do you explain mimics

Depends honestly on how Magic effects (affects?) natural selection.
I've always used it as kind of a buffer in the sense that magic allows for more... unconventional species to still subsist and survive because the genetic cost for making such drastic mutations and speciations is dramatically lowered and significantly less expensive so organisms can take greater risks and be more 'creative'. Like, think of it in terms of: in our own world you've got animals devolving their eyes because it's just cheaper to be BLIND then to figure out what to do with your eyes, but in a fantasy world they went the hard way and just developed dark vision because magic made the cost a non-issue.

So combine that with how creative evolution gets in a mundane world, well now it has fucking MAGIC and you can start to see some pretty unusual, impractical, amazing, or just outright bizzare looking creatures.

considering the halfling rogue got eaten whole by a large one, they are pretty effective.

Personally I feel, in most settings they are half-assed

So basically what you're saying is, centaurs in general are about as feasible as futa-taurs

exactly my point in far more words. the "its magic, i don't gotta explain shit" ruling works great for any argument in regards as to how real world physics and biology work in contrast to how they work in fantasy realms. a centaur-like creature in the real world would fair poorly. its upper half is too large, lacks natural weapons and if it had developed to the point of essentially being mounted cavalry, a lance blow would cause its spine to twist around and maim the poor thing.

no, centaurs are better than that in fantasy. but you need to remember that the real world should have little impact on a fantasy realm. We live in a world of absolutes where things follow patterns. in fantasy, you have animated statues, creatures that fly and breath fire and the occassional horse-human hybrid. Let it work and have fun with it.

You are a terrible person and you should feel bad for that pun
>carlos
>also, tsundere centaurs?

GOD DAMMIT CARLOS

Four hooves good, two hooves better.

Considering Centaurs are a statted and playable race in my setting (for Pathfinder) with established lore, I suppose my opinions of Centaurs are in high regard.

I'm considering making an offshoot that's medium sized, though (like a deertaur or something). Being a large creature does offer some unique scenarios but I'm not sure if it's more troublesome than it's worth.

>trouble climbing stairs
I'm just imagining a half cow centaur standing at the top of a staircase crying because they can't go down stairs.

Two hands good
Four hands better.

>Centaur folder is mostly lewds
shieeet

>socks
the hooves would tear right through the fabric!

then they become leg warmers.

And futas are fun, so I agree with you

Well, don’t leave us hanging

I'm way more curious where the skirt goes

Four legs good, two legs bad.

They're a garbage, fetish race.

Best horsegirl.

How does she get the pants on?

there is actually a panel showing exactly this.
I do not have it.

agreed

but... they can sleep standing up.

its absolutely a thing they can do. What are you on about?

disregard the name fagging. keep forgetting to delete it.

That horse isn't sleeping, it's dead.

You're a moron. Yeah, horses can lay down and get up, but they won't sleep laying down because they die. They're really big animals, sleeping on their side prevents blood from flowing properly, and prevent them from getting up if they stay in that position for too long. Then they're stuck, and they die.

this is also incorrect. horses can sleep laying down, and they do lay down often for comfort.

Horses are fragile physically and mentally in a lot of ways, but...

what you said is silly.

except for Reperfusion apparently. my bad.

Best looking centaur design coming through.

Like, I said, they definitely lay down and they love to roll in shit (my grandparents' horse loved to roll around pumpkin patches), but they can't lay down for hours and hours.

Taking a cue from Warcraft and other sources, I've always been a fan of the more war-like centaur: the kind that murder and pillage their way through life. One of my favourite and more memorable characters that I ever played was also a centaur, though it was just a fun campaign overall.

To echo others in this thread, I'd say that tauric races in general can be pretty cool as long as you don't fetishes them, but I suppose that holds true for a lot of things.

I get that reference

>dat spoiler
subtle magical realm is subtle, user

I'm counting 2-3 Smug Hapries in that panel. That's 1-2 too many smugs.

I spotted four smug harpies at least.

Centaurs have fur down there so it doesn't nerd to stay warm and the other reason would be hiding the dong.
This brings up the question dong at the front or in the back?

They represent interesting (tedious) mundane challenges as a PC race. Larger size, need for wider areas to turn about, likely greater need for food, lack of vertical mobility, etc.

I prefer to forgo tauric races and just make beast-men but that is just me.

huh...

If my DM gave us that flyer as a plot hook, the group including me would go out of our way to find and befriend the cutie shota satyr.

You wear it around the point where the horse hair gives way to pink human skin.
There's nothing there but it provides a clear break making it easier on the artist so that people won't stare.

What if they had a human dong in the front and a horse dong in the back?

Horse dong could be kept in it's sheath like a normal horse, so would they need to cover it?

haha that would be weird

What? You've never worn a penis sheath before?
You're not missing out.

I think the concept is interesting but vanilla centaurs are usually a shitty race

What do you think of the on a we’ve seen here like the LionCentaur

That's a lamia.

John Varley, "Titan". Also, Greek myth.

I don't get why people riff on centaur because of "horse pussy" when I can (unfortunately) confirm a male centaur PC's dick will get brought up in a campaign, and in fact will probably be sought after by a PC.

haha

Don't feel like getting b&

Then make a /d/ thread, friend.

post it as an imgur link, you won't get banned

There's a taur thread on /trash/ already.

Don't listen to him, I've been banned for imgur links before

I posted a minidump on /trash/

Anyone got custom statblocks for playable centaur races? Any game, preferrably D&D

They are the most lazy and uninspired races and I see exactly no point in using them except for fetish reasons. Somewhere along the way of mermaids, but at least mermaids usually have more qualities than literally "lol let's stick a man on a fish".
I hope I will never play in a game where centaurs exist, unless it's some motherfucking HoMM

But any race can be a centaur!

As long as they are female.

>they are too big for most buildings.
Its reasonable to assume that if centaurs are some of the people in a region a decent amount of t
he buldings woukd accommodate them.

Besides that speaking as somone whks actually had a horse inside they actually would fit, though a bit cramped and awkward in most human sized buildings.
Gandalf in the hobbit hole is a worse fit than a centaur in a humans house.

Generally i think they're pretty cool and underused.

The one thing I don't like is how they always seem to get given the cavalry archer role. Centaurs would be shit cavalry archers, cavalry archers worked with people on horses because the horse can essentially "drive itself" and the archer can focus only on shooting. A centaur trying to gallop and shoot has to focus on both and would be crap just like humans who try to run and shoot simultaneously.

Centaurs would be excellent "mounted archers", that use their speed advantage to manouver but stand still when actually shooting.

They'd probably be good at charges and hit-and-run tactics with their speed, striking quickly and retreating immediately in order to regroup or attack from another side. Their size can also make them good tanks (figuratively), redirecting attention to themselves while a smaller race can attack.

I'm sure they've practiced running and shooting user. They might even need to do it when hunting fantasy beasts that can take more than a few arrows.

Not a fan of chimeric races in general.

They would be awesome Calvary arches IF they had someone on their back. IN fact having someone on their back makes than incredibly more effective at everything.
All of the explanations about "pride" and what not are very contrived seeing at what lengths people actually got into in order to have even the slightness advantage in war. Are you trying to tell me the MASSIVE advantage a mounted knight would give is simply ignored of measly pride? When, mot of the time, they are a warrior race?it's a sad day when Every Day Life With Monster Girls have more realistic centaurs than most other fiction.

Hes right for the wrong reasons. Bow/rifle cavalry steer with their knees. What lets them aim is using their knees as a form of suspension, isolating their upper body from the movement of the horse. Watch some mounted archers shoot, they stand in the saddle and use their knees. A centaur wouldnt be able to do this, they have no way to counter movement from their lowerr horse body to their human torso.

What if their spines worked like chicken necks? I don't see how that would work without resulting in a monstrosity or a series of terrible injuries, but I'm drunk so I can say whatever I want

While you're right, his reasons are right too, a horse keeps running while you're shooting or doing other stuff, if the horse is a part of your body you'd have to think mind where you're running too, in case you trip or run into a tree or something. Actually, all this makes me think about another issue with centaurs: relative brain size. If we assume that the only brain they have is the human part brain, then it makes their brain to body ratio really tiny. Brains this size can't control such a large body effectively, not to mention six limbs.

Reminded me of this.