/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Stompy Edition

I think we need to update the pastebin sometime.

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Ghost Archipelago, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, Beyond the Gates of Antares, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=137
scribd.com/mobile/doc/57824434/Wargame-HOTT-Hordes-of-the-Things-WRG-2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I think we need to update the pastebin sometime.
So what's out of date/not working anymore?

Not him, but the novice trove could do with sorting a bit, it's never really been organised for easy file hoarding.

someone complained about a dead link last thread
The folder doesn't seem to load for me either.

So that's one thing.
I think it may also be a good idea to upload the GoA books somewhere and I think I may have a few misc Osprey games that are not in the Trove, but I'd have to double check that.

But I'm not the one who set the pastebin or any of the other things in there up, so I don't just want to go ahead and fuck around with it.

Unfortunately I don't think I have a lot of Dark Osprey saved, but I'll take a look at what I've got.

Is Sedition Wars more in line with 28mm or 32mm? The McVey stuff specifically.

> Calvary

REEEEEEEEEEE WHY DO PEOPLE STILL DO THIS REEEEEEEEEEEEE

because it is a real word spell checkers don't catch it

Also, isn't Scribd amazing?

The paywall-style homepage put me off but I've downloaded a load of the old Citadel Journals and random stuff like that.

Hello people!
I've been posting a little time ago about a universal skirmish fantasy system I'm working on, and among other things I've shown a chart for humanoid race archetypes to cover most possible miniature types. Now I'm wondering whether it'd be better to keep a long list of pre-made archetypes or a modular chart of options so that players can directly make their own customized races.
Opinions?

Are there any systems that handle gunpowder and magic well?

>piggy's

That irritates me more to be honest. I tend not to back Kickstarters if the spelling and/or grammar in their text is shoddy. If they don't put effort into proofreading, what else will they cut corners on?

They are also really damn expensive for being not that great.

So I took a quick look and I have some Malifaux 2e stuff (core rules + faction books), a crapton of Mordheim stuff, a lot of Starship Troopers books, Stargrunt 2, Warband and the LotR conversion for it, a bunch of SoBaH books, DZC, Necromunda Community Edition and Inquisimunda, Dust Warfare, AT-43 and Confrontation, Ronin, Thaw of the Lich Lord and Ghost Archipelago and that's about it. I swear to god I also have Gaslands and Frostgrave Core around somewhere.
So that's why I can contribute back in, but that's the best way to go about this. Make a new mega with open password so that anyone can upload shit to it?

>I tend not to back Kickstarters if the spelling and/or grammar in their text is shoddy. If they don't put effort into proofreading, what else will they cut corners on?
QFT
No faith in the type of idiots that would start a campaign like that and not get someone else to check it.

>Also, isn't Scribd amazing?
>Citadel
>Showing 1-10 of 65,421 Results
Wow, no kidding.

Alright /awg/, here's a challenge.
Find me alternate models for Uberfallkommando from Infinity. The idea is that you have one Chimera controller with extreme biomods (the fox girl here, needn't be animal) that can use an assault rifle and 3 bio-modded animal sidekicks that fight without weapons (or maybe some CCWs). The latter seems particularly hard to find.

northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=137

Yup, would be interested in the Malifaux stuff personally

Is there a way to get around the paywall bullshit

Does anyone play HOTT (horde of the things) and have a PDF of it, or could give me a good breakdown of the rules? I'm looking at building my 15mm armies for Mighty armies but HOTT is often lauded as the better system.

There's a link in the OP of the last Malifaux General.
The current General () doesn't use the 'correct' OP.

Counterblast has a model that is a shark man with two swords. Lancet Atlanti Brute. Could work for ya.

I can check my desktop. Have a shit ton of books in there. Malifaux, AT-43, Confrontation, Counterblast just to name a few. I'm sure I have others but I haven't opened up my games folder in a while

>calvary
>piggy's
>6$ for a fucking mounted halfling

Yeah, no.

Have the bugs army book for Starship Troopers? Think it's the only one I'm missing.

I thought I did, but for some reason it's actually the RPG book, sorry.
Anyway, I'll look into making a mega if nobody does it first.

Are there any games that tackle the idea of resource management on the field? I mean something along the lines of a "node" on the battlefield that isn't just an objective marker, but something that can be used by models to give an advantage.

I know Alkemy had something kind of like that with the ingredient gathering, but its been years since I read the rules, so I can't remember fully.

Started working on a warband for Frostgrave last night (made out of some Kingdom death kits), Gonna roll with an Apprentice, 3 thugs, 2 thieves, 2 archers, and a barbarian.
Thinking about going with elemental school for my wizard so I can toss hammer on one of the archers and have him harass things with the threat of 5 damage as my barbarian and thugs move in to deal some damage.

First edition Deadzone sort of did this (you could have 'ammo markers' and stuff on the field that would let you reroll to hit if you controlled them etc)

I dunno if they carried that idea into the new edition.

Oh yeah, forgot about Deadzone. In 2nd ed., they're pick ups the model carries and can use.

I was thinking of an idea for something like drawing mana from fonts on the field, as opposed to just generating power for spells like most games do.

Roots of Magic has two Wizards and a few sidekicks duelling over a 2'x2' rune/sigil, where you move to different points on the table to get extra power/focus/winds of magic/however it works.

Saw it a long time ago, but at that point it was too small-scale (2-5 models) for my interests.

I'll have to take a look at it.

Now that I've gone backt o look at it, there are a bunch of casters and acolytes that I might need to pick up.

Already own pic related, very nice resin cast.
Unfortunately it is 28mm rather than 32mm like most of the rest of my toys.

Anyone ever played Wrath of Kings? Looks fun, if a bit basic

mine is closer to 28mm, wouldnt be surprised if some sculpts ran larger though.

I thought about getting a bunch when it was on sale, but I already have enough to work on already.

Yeah, to permanently download stuff, just upload other pdfs, I think it's like 2 downloads if you upload 1. I use one-page RPGs off Veeky Forums and scientific journals and stuff.

I just used a disposable email to actually make an account, oddly I don't think the paywall page has a search box on it, so I just googled "Scribd Warhammer" or something.

rip dropzone commander threads

>That moment when you buy into DZC

well hope someone will what to buy my grey plastic starter box shit on ebay.

Bump

Give me a minute to upload it and I'll get you a link.

scribd.com/mobile/doc/57824434/Wargame-HOTT-Hordes-of-the-Things-WRG-2

Here you go.

What happened to Warmachine?

There used to be regular generals, but talk and discussion seems to have dried up.

The threads died. No one cares enough and the shitposting got unbearable. The game itself still sells well and is only behind 40K and X-Wing, but for me theme lists are a massive turn off.

>Warmachine and Dropverse become the perview of /awg/

How the mighty have fallen.

Batman sort of has that with Ammo crare objectives. Since ranged weapons all have a limited amount of times they can be used before they run out of ammo, those objectives let any model in base contact to manipulate it to replenish their ammo.

Speaking of BMG I've been watching a play through of the Batman Telltale game (mostly because it looked interesting but I don't have the patience for the whole episodic game thing in my vidya) and I really want a version of that Penguin in BMG. The long coat with the cool mask from the election scene. I'd be all over that.

The rules are solid and the gane is fun. I'm sure people here are sick of me saying this, but the combat is a wee too symbol heavy to me. It works fine, but remembering what they all do can be a pain. The army building and the motivations are probably its two most unique aspects, and they both work quite well. Now that there's more stuff out for it players have more options which does help prevent stagnation a bit.

They'll pick up again when more news about 2nd edition comes around. The purchase by TTCOMBAT and subsequent changes is obviously slowing things down a touch so people have basically run out of things to discuss until new stuff is revealed.

>theme lists are a massive turn off.
How come?
I would've thought they would be great for aesthetic and fluff reasons.

It's funny, there are a bunch of games that are big enough locally to have a self-sufficient scene, but apparently no 4chins presence.
Malifaux actually currently has a General up, but Warmachine is silent and I don't think I've seen a Guild Ball thread here in months.

They became too generic and too good. You get a lot of crap for free with the theme lists, and most are spammy. Most themes are "spam as much of this unit as you can, for every 20 pts., you get a free solo of UA".

>Generic theme lists
Wat?
You mean that every theme list was 2 units of X, 2 units of Y, an A, B and C Jack, and hten P and Q special character?
In that case PP's writers are just terrible at their jobs.

Theme lists should be more than "use lots of theme".

For example, the Trollbloods themes are:

The Power of Dhunia
Can only take:
>Trollblood Warlocks
>Non-character warbeasts
>Trollkin models/units with the Magic Ability special rule
>Stone Scribe models/units
>Solos w/ the Lesser Warlock special rule
>Troll Whelp solos

You get:
>Trollkin Runeshapers become FA U
>For every 25 pts. of warbeasts in the army, you can add a medium-based solo or 5 Whelp solos for free
>Warbeasts get +2 THR
>Friendly models/units can start the game affected by upkeep spells

Band of Heroes
Can only take:
>Trollblood Warlocks
>Non-character warbeasts
>Champion models/units
>Fell Caller models/units
>Fennblade models/units
>Kriel Warrior models/units
>Long Rider models/units
>Warder models/units
>Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribe units
>Stone Scribe Chronicler solos
>Troll Whelp solos

You get:
>For every 20 pts. of Trollkin Champion, Warder, and Long Rider models/units, you can add a free command attachment or medium-based solo for free, these don't count towards the 20 pts. for free models
>Warrior models/units gain Take Down
>Your deployment zone is extended 2"

They took out tiers, its now you use the model limits, you get all the benefits.

>It's funny, there are a bunch of games that are big enough locally to have a self-sufficient scene, but apparently no 4chins presence.
That one's simple.
For one, Veeky Forums was a 40k, D&D and MtG Containment Board from the start. Even during its glory days, WHFB had barely any presence and just look at YGO, it's the undisputed biggest card game on the planet, yet we never have serious threads about it and usually shove it to Veeky Forums of all places.
Simple virtue of established community attracting the same people keeps those games in power. People that want to talk about DZC don't come to Veeky Forums, the only people that talk about DZC are those that played one of the big Veeky Forums hits, started DZC and want to stick on the board.

The other half is simply topics to talk about. Many, if not most, of the people on Veeky Forums don't actually play the games they talk about. They just meme, shitpost and like to pretend. That's really easy with the big games, where you can get a general feel through the memes of shitposting of others. For shit like 40k you can also get a slight idea of what's good and what's not from the people playing and the shitposters just go off that to wildly exaggarate and be completely wrong. With the smaller games, that's a lot harder. I know fuck-all about Malifaux and I couldn't start shitposting about it from skimming the thread.
Games that have less releases and less glaring issues are also a lot harder to talk about on Veeky Forums, because people just like complaining and talking about what's shit. Talking about the merits of something and trying to put some useful discussion up is a lot harder than vaguely complaining about this or that.
And in the case of Warmachine, the shitposting level reached critical and the thread just selfdestructed as a result.

>Many, if not most, of the people on Veeky Forums don't actually play the games they talk about.
I was hoping I was alone in this. Ah well.

It's the reason why so few people post their own models and practically nobody posts tables. I'd eat my hat if even half of the posters in 40kg actually play the game, and I'm 95% sure that there's maybe two guys actually playing Epic in the Epic threads that sometimes crop up, in addition to Resinbro.

>YGO, it's the undisputed biggest card game on the planet
4 eels?
That's bananas.
I haven't seen anyone play it, or heard about it being played, since school.
Which was 12 years ago.

Otherwise, top post, I agree with most points.
I've heard it said that a sizeable percentage of 'online hobbyists' actually have the 'being online' part as the hobby, and the models and shit is really just set dressing to ease them into character.

I actually only post about games I play or have played now, apart from asking questions about how other games work.
Making that decision to consciously limit my shitposting has changed my relationship with Veeky Forums in interesting ways that has probably given me an hour or three of my life back per week to actually hobby in.

I'll have to start taking more photos of my table, but it sort of feels like cheating - as a Bong, I play 99% of my games at the club, so it's really their tables I'd be showing.

>4 eels?
>That's bananas.
>I haven't seen anyone play it, or heard about it being played, since school.
>Which was 12 years ago.
MtG is only big in Europe and white middleclass US. Asia is dominated by YGO, as is nonwhite US. South America also plays it when they aren't playing one of their local ones

Eastern Europe is also full of YGO.
I think it's the long history of cheap and widely available fakes.

I am Bong, so I guess that explains it.
I guess it makes no less sense than Pokermans becoming the world's greatest franchise of the new millennium.

I thought people didn't post them because when people did, they'd get shout down by assholes. I know LaBamba occasionally posts battle reports with table pics, and there was another couple that did, only to have complaints lobbed at them.

That's just one faggot being a faggot, though. Every time this comes up it's that one fag complaining about it and five other anons telling him to shut up.
On the other hand, you rarely if ever see home painted stuff in any thread outside of wipg. Even group builds barely get any responses and that's the easiest way to post anything you want.

Aren't the epic threads just people begging for recaster details?

3/5 of it, yes. And the reason they usually get jack shit is because they don't play the game and have nothing to show for. If you are actually interested in Epic, you can easily build a collection from ebay and legit third party before you start looking for recasters and forumware.

>group builds

I saw two submissions for September's "Monster", and none for October's "Armoured" here on /awg/, though if anyone saw or made any more feel free to post them.

I'd be happy to start it again in earnest, I'd struggle with themes maybe though.

Since I'm 50% of posted models, I'd probably be in again. Question is if there's enough interest around.

I'm a /wip/per mostly, and they are doing an April Fools on Parade project - build a crew or small army or something utilising your backlog and/or something you got from the Secret Santa they ran, on a display board.

It is basically Armies on Parade - /awg/ Edition.

I was going to cross-post here it when the idea was first floated, but it took a while to catch on.

Y'all /awg/ folks should cross-post more aggressively with the /wip/ threads, you'd probably get good numbers of people up for kitbash'n'sculpt challenges.

Also that giant moleratmonster looks sick - where is it from?

It's a Forgeworld model with the rat face sculpted on

Giant Spined Chaos Beast, yes. Sadly they nuked it, together with most other square based things.
Maybe you can get one on ebay.

Sweet Jesus that gave me a chuckle

Definitely a fan of "race creation" if you can pull it off. As a youngun, one of my favorite games was Master of Orion 2 and there was a certain joy in trying to minmax the best combination of a Telepathic Creative Warlord race.

Confrontation Wulfen?

Alkemy cats for the controller. Take your pick of towelhead cats, bara tiger or bit titty kitty

>They took out tiers, its now you use the model limits, you get all the benefits.
I totally love that they encouraged using themed lists because it made armies feel more cohesive, but they took out the tier levels? That just feels like a step backwards.

>I know fuck-all about Malifaux and I couldn't start shitposting about it from skimming the thread.
Sure you can! All you have to do is say "ded gaem is ded" and you're done! Because remember: if it's not as big as 40k or doesn't have a scene where you live that means nobody plays it!

I tried posting in /wip/ a few times, but it really does feel like if you aren't posting 40k stuff nobody will even acknowledge you. I'm always amazed when I see a random Warmahordes model pop up.

I've even asked for advice on paints to buy to do certain things and don't get answers and I have to assume it's either people being petty about me being a namefag or because I ask about what Vallejo colors to buy.

I would think without slapping on sci-go bits they'd look a wee bit out of place next to Infinity models.

Also they'll be HUGE compared to most Infinity stuff and Uberfall are supposed to be on 25mm bases.

wipg has no problem with vallejo. There's lots of talk about the big color brands and GW being bad value still holds true.
In any case, it's a chicken egg situation. No awg posters means no awg interest. It's like how /awg/ and /hwg/ are way better places if you want lines fir authentic LotR stuff than /mesbg/ because it was made by GW focused posters

I'd also like to hear more of this fools on parade thing.

>I tried posting in /wip/ a few times, but it really does feel like if you aren't posting 40k stuff nobody will even acknowledge you.

That hasn't been my experience, but I can believe it happens.
Doubly problematic thanks to the /wip/ thread culture tending towards more constructive commenting, so if people have nothing useful to say there's a fair chance they won't even bother shitposting at you.

>people being petty about me being a namefag
Just don't namefag.
It's that simple.

Basically it's is a very-small Armies on Parade.
A Viking village raid, a Necromunda gang, German tanks breaching the Allied line, a Scrappers band, whatever floats your boat.
More than 4 models, on a display board more than 5"x5", preferably using models from your backlog or presents (as a New Year resolution productivity type thin).

I'll stick up the details of what I'm doing later (3-4 hours).

>It's like how /awg/ and /hwg/ are way better places if you want lines fir authentic LotR stuff than /mesbg/ because it was made by GW focused posters
Well, what is 'authentic' in a fictional setting that had only a few illustrations to go with in the beginning is a matter of opinion.
The /mesbg/ is about the GW game based on the movies, so in that regard the minis GW sells are pretty authentic, cause they are faithful to that particular interpretation they are working with.

There is something to bevsaid about authenticity vs Movieverse in LotR. Tolkien delivered a lot of descriptions and the movies ignore many of them. The most glaring would be no platemail.

I'm not shitting on the Perry sculpts though. I love them. But you have to cast a wider net if you want to be true to the books.

thanks user!

Well that's been my experience, so I just don't bother asking questions there anymore. I lurk sometimes, but that's about it. And hey, maybe it's just me.

First painted model this year is an /awg/ related one. Guy one the left is the shaman for my desert goblin/orks. Base will be done like the one of his chieftain on the right.

Looks fun, but I'd do something with the skull mask. Maybe yellow dots in the sockets?

I was thinking the same. He looks a little bland right now. But I'll base him tomorrow and put him next to the crew before I add anything. They are also rather plain, so I don't want to overdo it with him.

My Fools on Parade is going to be a small desert wasteland canyon entrance with a caravan emerging from it.
The caravan is led by an elf-lookin' steampunk-ish (Warmachine) engineer type, with a gaggle of tiny 6-10mm robots following him.
The caravan itself is dragged by a lumbering chelonian mech, a Warmachine warjack folded down to be a beast of burden dragging a cart/sled, tended to by a robed spidery Techpriest-type riding on the back and shoulders of another smaller damaged mech.
They are followed by a prisoner/debtor/penitent/pilgrim, a (Northstar? Mantic?) ghoul painted up as a sunburnt zealot dragging a stone tablet/trade ledger/crate of goods.

Dude. That looks awesome already!

You're welcome.

I love the idea of Jawa elves. This is actually really cool. I hope to see it later when it is all primed.

Don't use that twine you shithead. Either make a weave from nylon threads or sculpt some with putty/GS/milliput

Otherwise; your concept is fucking genious

So who would be good additions to the new GCPD starter in Batman? I figure Quick Response Team and the new resin Batman starter for the Arkham Guards.

I was looking for some sort of brawler. Something Azreal, Nightwing or Batwoman? Az has that sweet 3+ strength, but I feel like Nightwing is a good objective grabber from what I can tell. Batwoman seems the weakest of the three, but some of her special rules seem like they'd be handy (and I love the model).

Any suggestions?

pumb

I'd get one of those GS cable rollers to replace the rope

I'd go with QRT and Nightwing personally, it's important to remember that Nightwing hits at 3+ strength as well though (mechanical). If you have the points to spare, I'd always go for Nightwing over Azrael because although Az does blood damage pretty reliably, he has a big problem hitting, which Dick mitigates through having Handy on his sticks. The stun damage from Nightwing is less of a downside in a cop list as well, because arrest is usually very abundant, and the guns do blood damage well enough (especially new Gordon, that guy is baller)

All 3 are good choices though, and I could also recommend Rebirth Batgirl for a cheaper option. She's not as purely hitty as the others, but she throws out enough double stun dice, and has the biggest connection with Gordon for theme (the Oracle upgrade is also bullshit good if you can fit it)

Cheers Bam.

I need to get the Techpriest guy sorted out, but that involves actually deciding what I want him to look like and then actually learning to sculpt.

It's going to be the Warmachine guy's spide legs clinging to the back of the armless warjack, hooked into the torso using the arm holes, wearing a ragged cloak.
Hopefully I am not reaching too far with this.

The Jawa look is pretty much what I'm going for with this one though - I even have a pair of Airfix 54mm binoculars that make will make good Johnny 5 eyes under the hood.
I thought about just using hte Johnny 5 robutt for the head, but I wanted him out in view because he a cute.

Obviously I am not using that twine, you shithead, it looks trash.
But thanks for the idea of weaving one myself, that'll probably look better than jeweller's chain.

Anyway, y'all should give some thought to a gang display board and come on over to WIP to discuss them.

If you want to make some rope/wire stuff, take two or three thin strands of wire, pinch them with an electric drill and fire away for a second or two. That gives you perfect 28mm ropes and wires in no time flat.

I got my copy of Ghost Archipelago in the mail and my review is that I want the redhead Heritor to sit on my face.

Now if that existed as a model with a good looking face...

I'm 99% sure a female adventurer with hammer exists from either Hasslefree or Reaper.

box splits are the life of the hobby.

the lack of box splits nowadays shows how autistic and introverted we have become.

i'd rather have her sit on my dick, but whatever.

TELL ME.
the Frostgrave book has some killer character art, and the characters are sculpted like ass. the female elementalist and the sigilist (?) both have full man faces.
then again, all my Frostgrave is Reaper

Good shout, I'll do that.

Yup.
I feel that there would be a lot more in the way of small games if they could (afford to?) put out more 2-player starter sets.
It's especially odd for those that get Kickstarted that it's not pretty much a default option to get two full armies at the smallest viable points-size with a rulebook and any dice/templates/tokens you need.

>and the characters are sculpted like ass. the female elementalist and the sigilist (?) both have full man faces.
The sculpts are fine. At 28mm 90% of wether a face look feminine or masculine depends on the paintjob anyway.

It's weird how /awg/ feels more historical than /hwg/ because gunpowder master race dominates the thread.