EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previously: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
based on what we have seen so far are dinosaurs viable now outside of timmy metas?

>Thread Question
no

but that doesn't mean they're not fun

No.

I doubt it, but that won't stop me from trying.

still can't wait for that magical moment when i congregation at dawn for all 3 elder dinos in the colors in response to gishath connecting

We have like, just a couple of decent dinos, the rest are garbage. The only decent thing out of Ixalan was the transformlands.

>based on what we have seen so far are dinosaurs viable now outside of timmy metas?

lol no.

there's basically no "wow this dino card is good" dinosaur

That's my shit

>based on what we have seen so far are dinosaurs viable now outside of timmy metas?
They've probably gone from "Derp craw wurm" to "Kitchen Table Casual". Nothing more intense.

Secret tech for Dinos.

So it changes nothing.

why not just play pyrohemia?

You saw it here first, folks!

This one at least deals with 99% of the tokens.

>why not just play pyrohemia?
Why not both?

Had it (based on the art) in my first dinosaur deck with Dromosaur and Frenetic Raptor and Deathmist.

Enrage just so happened to be perfect for it.

i usually don't waste much time with early drops that aren't ramp or exceptionally strong in gishath. it's all about getting him into play and connecting.

Repeats of the effects are always good. Unless you're some tutor-using fagmaster.

Also i like how secondary enrage theme shits all over token decks.

Let's not forget this beauty.

There's a decent difference between the two.

haven't played magic/edh since about dragons of tarkir, thinking about building a new deck. Have there been any new Johnny type commanders printed in the last two years or so? Anything that enables weird interactions or flavorful shenanigans? Last deck I made was an esper stax nightmare with Enduring Ideal -> Dovescape -> Humility -> Lightmine Field -> Starfield of Nyx

Building enrage.dec is starting to look tempting

Plus I already wanted to build some gank with carnage gladiator, grand melee and angels trumpet

Champion of Twilight
3BB
Creature Vampire Knight
When Champion of Twilight enters the battlefield, draw X cards and lose X life, where X is the number of vampires you control.
"Soak these golden streets with the blood of our enemies."

A fair strategy, but if you're going deep into Enrage rather than generic tribal, it could be worthwhile for all those sweet triggers.

Because EDH is such a competitive format, amirite?

Love it in Sydri. Deathtouch on it is a beautiful thing.

Unsets are legal now, you could literally build a Johnny, Combo Player deck

Just don't forget this in your dino deck. Make sure your dinos can get enraged beyond 200%, and fly towards the face of your opponents.

Eh... I still like Gishath better as a Commander. But Zacama is definitely going into the 99.

And I just finished building Hapatra...

Ask a question about metas, get an answer about metas.

please view repercussion for details

what's the verdict?

It's a strictly better Diabolic Tutor. Take that as you will.

Strictly better Diabolic Tutor is decent.
Death Wish without losing half your life is better

lets you avoid shuffling your library and still get a cast trigger so i guess its an objectively better diabolic tutor

Stricltly better Diabolic Tutor...

In EDH it's literally Diabolic Tutor, which is a fairly marginal inclusion but OK for budget.

It's gonna command a price for standard, though, by making Wishboard a thing.

I have a nice foil of this, with also foil Final fortune, but I can't really justify running either in any of my decks.
I wish Sapling had also red in it's identity.

Its literally no different from diabolic tutor unless your playgroup decides to houserule otherwise.

If they let you find anything you want with it with absolutely no restrictions its at least the most powerful wish card.

>brew zacama for fun for a bit
>put in all the good land ramp in the game to curve into him and all the good protection to protect him
>realize that the only thing that follows all that ramping is just you sitting back and hitting people with a big dino until you or everyone else dies

hm

its diabolic tutor which is already too slow for my meta so i dont care

>untap everything

but Veeky Forums told me urza mechanics would never return

perfect.

It's on a creature and that makes it ok.

You mean, it's on a casted creature. Blinking it does jack shit

Any mechanic can return once it was overcosted beyond useless. Except Storm.

One day

>Tap all lands
>Cast this
>Gets countered
>All lands untap
>Recast

This is gonna be fucking fun

if its countered, your lands dont untap.

it has to enter + be cast from your hand.

>>Gets countered
>>All lands untap
You mean next turn?

It's on ETB, not cast, weetard.

blinking isn’t what makes palinchron good

I'm kinda pissed that I just built my U/W Taigam spellslinger, only for U/W flying tribal to become so much more appealing.

It's both on cast and ETB, dude. Read the card. Don't feel to bad, it's really weird.

No, it's on ETB on the condition you cast it. IE if it somehow got put on the field without you casting it, you dont get the effect.

>Enters the battlefield
It has to resolve.
>If you cast it
Only relevant once it resolves. Just means it doesn't activate if it was blinked or reanimated.

Yes, so it's both cast and ETB. If you don't do both, you don't get the effect.

Again, don't feel to bad about misunderstanding it, I think this is the first time they have used this kind of effect.

>cast ability triggers off etb

literally why? he's weaker than the eldrazi titans and his ability is good, but its neutered on cast already. why make it so if they counter him, it's 9 fucking mana wasted.

I know they used it in IXA at least, with that one big white dino that wipes all non-dinosaur creatures.

Daily reminder that wizards hates Naya just as much as they hate boros

Interestingly, they did specify that big old three heads just has to be cast, not cast from hand, so you know they deliberately thought of commander for this guy.
Which is nice.

Poophead

when I was reading it I double checked to make sure it didn't specify it being cast from hand.

Big sigh of relief

lmfao they couldve at least given it first strike

Hello 'Objectively worse than the poisoner'.

wow it's fucking nothing

Trades with carnage tyrant but you'll still take 5. Jesus, no first strike is really bad.

I'm playing edgar and these spoilers are making me hard af. So many good vampires.

Forrunner of the Legion is insane. Edgar's passive synergizes with it so hard. Every vampire procs the second effect twice.

Bishop of Binding seems like a tempo card. Forrunner being able to tutor into it matters i guess.

Radient Destiny might be a thing? It's 3 mana that does nothing unless conditions are met though.

Skymarcher Asperant beats out a lot of the currently ran 1 drops.

Arterial Flow works when coupled with similar cards in a suite. Gerrard's Verdict, Hymn to Torach, Blightning, etc. (if you guys know more, tell me, I want all the hand control)

Champion of Dusk is insane. It draws you all of your gas, it's dumb. Insane for recovery, because it procs at a minimum of two.

Mastermind's Acqusition might be nutty, not sure, its 4 mana, but its crazy.

Dusk Legion Zealot is a phyrexian rager on a split body that costs 2.

Legion Lutenant is auto include for every edgar list. Lord for 2 is incredible.

Angrath looks alright? +1 and -3 look pretty okay, but I dunno about 5 cmc for that.

Elenda, the Dusk Rose looks alright as well. at worst she's two 1/1 bodies, at best, she saves you from a board wipe blowout. Likely goes into the 99 as a utility creature.

>"But I got away"
Not with 2 health you didn't.

How many times could you recast him before the loop starts producing negative mana if you had Mirari's Wake, Ashnod's Altar, and 9 lands?

>ashnods altar
Would last longer with food chain

doesnt work like that. The trigger is enter the battlefield, and the effect is gated behind the condition of 'if you cast it'.Meaning you have to resolve the creature before any of it triggers. Before it hits the battlefield, nothing happens.

What it means in english is that you have to cast it and have it stick to allow it to untap lands. If you reanimate it or something like that, it won't untap, because it does ETB, but it isnt cast. Same if you Green Sun Zenith it out.

Too bad Zada already has better alternatives.

So, Commander or 99 between Zacama and Gishath, what do you guys think?

Anyone have experience with this guy? Seems interesting, but I'm wondering how well he plays. I'd jam most of the good morphs for tricky stuff, but is there anything else to him? I'd also obviously have the Pickles combo.

That would be too strong desu

Zacama.
I like the toolbox options to deal with threats. Though I wouldn't be making it a dinosaur deck.

>9 mana mythic primal calamity that dies to a fucking piece of wood

i thought the t-rex could swim.

Gishath as Commander, Zacama in 99.

I really like how toolbox-y this guy is while also being a big fat timmy beater. He scratches all the right itches for a commander I'd love to play.
Damnit, I should have waited for all these spoilers before spending the last of my disposable income for awhile putting together Krenko.

6 times before it starts producing less Mana than it costs
It creates 20 (18 from lands 2 from altar) Mana every time you cast it and after casting it 6 times it would cost 19 Mana

If I can't win noone else can.

Actually doesn't this just make you lose as per the rules?

Hmm. Does this make infinite tokens or end the game in a draw because of infinite triggers

Gishath as Commander, Zacama in the 99. Gishath gets your dinos out, while Zacama doesn’t really do anything for the tribe.

both

Just non-damaging board-wipe, ez.

It really pisses me off when they give out flavor like that to a card that is fucking wimp.

Either the game ends in a draw or people get to watch me flood the table with dinosaurs, forever.

Zacama because you're not locked into a shitty tribe. It costs a ton, but you're in naya, you just superramp and play the timmy deck.

Nope, setting up an uninterruptible infinite combo makes you lose the game

>104.4b If a game that's not using the limited range of influence option (including a two-player game) somehow enters a "loop" of mandatory actions, repeating a sequence of events with no way to stop, the game is a draw. Loops that contain an optional action don't result in a draw.

It draws the game friend, how long have you been playing magic?

716.4. If a loop contains only mandatory actions, the game is a draw. (See rules 104.4b and 104.4f.)
That's what I thought too but we are both wrong

Does red always get the pitiful versions?

Gishath as dinosaur tribal.
Zacama as a new, completely different Naya deck.

Am I missing something? This card looks bad.

"I've got lightning bolt and 1 red Mana, though, I really think the canyon's a safe bet"