When did "realism is boring" meme start?

When did "realism is boring" meme start?

Why do fantasyfags insist that the setting shouldn't be realistic to be "interesting"?

Is "interesting" even a good thing? Players and characters make the setting interesting, it doesn't have to be inherently so.

It has always existed and always will. Some people have different tastes and seek differents things in different settings.

It's a backlash to the 'if it's not realistic it's badwrongfun" nonsense you keep harping on.

Show me on the chainmail bikini where the interesting people touched you.

>photorealism
>long hair while wearing armor
Just begging to have it get caught in some detail of the armor, but hey, it looks good right

>I'm wondering how you two can stand upright
I'm wondering how you can wear that armor if you're such a weakling. I know girls in real life with tits three times that size who play basketball. Sure, they use sports bras, but it's not like standing upright with what looks to be at the very most large-ish D-cups is a feat of magic.

Photorealism isn't very clever

Deviantions from realism are good ways to break down the differences in what people know about a setting. If I play a game set in the age of discovery with a history nerd and a normie, the nerd is much better equipped to deal with the problems the world has to offer, because he already knows everything about the world. Non-realistic, outlandish setting elements and the worldbuilding consequences thereof are a way of putting everybody on equal footing.

Let me help you
-4 strength
no female warriors
women weaker then men
realistically women have lower stats
why do you have unrealistic things in your roleplaying games

There, that's everything you wanted to say.

Every response in this thread is objectively true. Go home, thread is over.

She doesn't actually wonder that, she says it because she is a woman and thus jealous at anything that is more beautiful than her.

How is that skull-knee'd bitch in armor photorealistic? She's not even regular realistic.

>Breastplate looks like it's one solid piece with no articulation
>It has a fucking navel
>Awful fucking solid pantleg hip things
>Long flowing hair stuck in the pauldrons
>Skull knee pad things that would be an absolute mess if they existed

Realismfags are universally inconsistent and it always comes out when they run their fucking mouths. If you just kept that autism in your pants people wouldn't be repulsed by you and would be all too happy to indulge you every once in a while but noooooo.

That's not really putting everyone on equal footing, that's just pulling the ground from under everyone.

Also i see no problem with history nerd being able to deal with the setting better, if normie didn't bother to read up on what he plays he deserves to be left behind.

nice strawman.

>I know girls in real life with tits three times that size who play basketball
I'm not saying it's impossible, but I also bet they only do it for fun, not competitively (or if they do, they aren't very good at it). Some sports are just not meant for big breasted girls (well, the vast majority of them, actually, but in some it's more notable than others). Basketball, tennis, ballet, gymnastics, etc.

I remember this Hungarian tennis player whom everyone always liked because she had crazy big tits for a tennis woman (I think it was the bigger side of double E's or something?), but the thing was, she eventually decided to get a significant reduction and on the SAME YEAR as she had it she leapt up around a 100 places in the leagues.

Realism if often confused with logical or internally consistent, this is wrong you can still have actually functional armor, intelligent beings acting intelligent, working laws of chemistry and physics, etc. and being a "unrealistic" setting. If you wanted an actual "realistic" setting you would need to take away all magical and fantastical aspects of it, making 100 percent grounded in reality. Which is shit because if i wanted something like that I would just play a historical camping and not bother with fiction at all.

This shit right here is correct. Realismfags want things their way and mask it behind the excuse of "it's realistic!"

There's only so much reading one can do to prepare for make-believe at Brendon's house. If you really expect a normie to be able to curate and read a collection of books on a historical period and remember all of it in time for a game, then you really must be a loser.

>all three of them are sluts

>women fighters
>realistic in any way
Funny comrade very funny.

Dunno, probably because people have shilled for a century and a half about the virtues of realism and they are finally getting over their reactionary response against romanticism.

Because people mistake it with automatic internal consistency.

It's already devolving into the usual arguments. But it was a nice try.

I've tried running realistic (as in 'set in actual history') games as a DM and, even as a major history nerd who considers himself pretty enthusiastic about the period I ran in, I found it oppressive. I decided I didn't like having to constantly fact-check my ideas to make sure they were actually completely consistent with reality. I can only imagine how players who were less invested in the time period might feel.

Not only that but only gets worse the further from your own mileau you get. Running a realistic game set in America in the year 2018 will be different than running a realistic game set in China in 300AD. You simply can't expect people to know enough to be consistently realistic besides the most obvious facts of life (like "you need to eat regular meals").

I like realism as a tool, especially because reality is full of cool ideas, but not as an end unto itself. Insisting on realism turns into a massive headache that tends mean you're spending more time micromanaging and researching than you are playing.

>When did "realism is boring" meme start?
Sometime after Adam and Eve were expelled from Garten Eden

Women fighters are realistic sir fag alot

When people with no interest in history (and certainly no knowledge of it) started posting online.

People who enjoy learning about history know it doesn't get any more interesting than real life. The Phrase "you can't make this up" really covers it: Real life throws so many crazy situations and characters in that no one could think it up. It will always be technically more interesting than fantasy purely for that fact.

Even periods of history without first-hand accounts like the pre-historic times have so much archaeological evidence and so many scientists coming up with theories that they tend to be incredibly interesting.

In the end different people find different things interesting, and people with no interest in real life and history will never find it interesting compared to fantasy.

Since most people think that realism means that everything is grey and brown and muddy.

>Reality is full of cool ideas, but not an end unto itself.
I think that's probably the best attitude to have towards realism in games.

About the same time someone came up with the idea of "fantasy."

This.

I love history and I love fantasy.

Probably in reaction to "realismfags" shitting over fantasy for not being realistic.

Coupled with "realism" fags usually having no idea how reality works.

Pretty much If all the things that happen in your setting/game/story/what-have-you aren't 95% statistically plausible the realism fags will crawl out of the woodwork and complain about it, while also complaining about all the bright colors in your setting that didn't actually exist until the advent of technicolor because didn't you know that everything that existed before color cameras was different shades of sand and mud?

I think plausibility is what really matters, and what's plausible depends largely on the context, or the setting. Realism isn't actually all that important.

If I wanted realism I'd go outside. I want ridiculous shit in my escapism fantasies

You didn't have to go through this whole process of deleting and reposting because you misquoted. Nobody actually cares that much, just clarify yourself and move on.

You're right though.

I will not pander to your nerdy ass at the expense of everyone else, Brandon.

I know nobody cares. I deleted because I misquoted twice in a row and figured it'd just look cleaner to delete them and repost.

I think you're creating a false dichotomy. A lot of people who like fantasy like both, and most fantasy writing is pretty clearly influenced by history. It's no small wonder why most DMs who explain things tend to go for the shorthand "like [x historical thing] but y". Creating, say, a race of orc vikings doesn't show a disdain for history but rather an enthusiasm for it. To draw inspiration from something and changing it rather than outright copying it doesn't mean having no interest.

Not to mention plenty of people who claim to like factual history still can't seem to help but insert their own bullshit into it too, or choose to believe bullshit because it's narrative appealing. There's lots of crossover between fact and fiction when it comes to history, and plenty of history becomes narrative anyway because humans like stories more than disorderly accumulations of raw facts.

It started when you refused to drop the -4 STR meme, when you wouldn't stop trying to punish wizards and attempted to convince people that not playing a male human fighter with short sword, shield and spear should be banned . People like you OP have made realism boring by proxy- and even had you not you still need to answer this. What about realism is exciting? Getting hit and rolling for a save VS instant death is annoying, rolling vs infection is frustrating and being out of commission because I took a grazing arrow to the cheek and my stitches got infected is actually fucking boring.

If the real world where thrilling we'd not need escapeism, oh and your image?
>fully encompassing knee guards
>knee guards shaped like skulls
>long hair

When realismfags stopped doing their mandatory research, when instead of studying these things to satisfy their curiosity they started using 'realism' as excuse to shoo things they didn't like down. This is realistic armor for women btw.

honestly, for me it's not that I hate fantastic equipment, I just like realistic gear more. There's even a place for fantastic them all in my own fantasy settings, it basically goes:

>grounded and kind of worn and crappy weapons and armor at beginning game
>Armor and weapons gets more fantastic as the quality increases and more blatantly magical (floating and glowing bits)
>Ultimate, legendary gear looks like beginning armor, just cleaner and polished
>Players think "well this is a boring as shit, maybe I can pawn this for- Holy shit! This armor just let me tank a neutron golem's flurry of blows! And the legendary sword let me cut an entire plane in half!"

Basically "Last Crusader Holy Grail" syndrome where the most impressive things are the most humble.

Agreed. Being internally consistant doesn't mean it has to replicate real life in any meaningful manner but autism is autism

>no breasts
Unrealistic.
Because I said so.

Except now you triggered the "women can do nothing" crowd.

Personally I like aesthetics like dark souls, with its weird blend of functional realistic gear and bizarre fantasy stuff. I especially like the idea of a relatively realistically equipped / skilled person fighting something fantastical.

Nah
Tie a big pink bow to helmet if you want to stand out

Marry, Fuck, Mating Press

>Marry = Left
>Fuck = Middle
>Mating Press = Right

because realism is boring for most fantasy settings. I play fantasy so my warrior can pick up the 60kg boulder and lob it across a lake to headshot with pinpoint accuresy that ork that is keeping my freinds in a epick clash. I want my roug to do 20 backlips and take out 20 soilders using just one hand crossbow while at the same time picklocking the most complicated lock ever with ease. What i dont want is wondering if my 14 str is enough for my warrior to wear that plate armor on horseback and wondering if i need dex+str+con to use that lance or just dex+str. If people want realism they play CoC and try to work out if my cherecter can even use that cleaver the correct way to even hurt someone, which is fine BUT not fine for a fantasy setting

Eh, this is where I loose all friends. I like realistic weapons and armour- to a point. I'm perfectly fine with realism giving way to rule of cool- so long as it stays somewhat contained. I'm fine with full plate that fantasy allows to bypass realism, or gear that looks more fantastical.

Put simply, I like most of skyrim's weaponry and armor

okay, first off, that's not photorealism, photorealism isn't an approach to design it's an approach to visual rendering. Photorealistic shit doesn't have outlines.

There's nothing interesting about chainmail bikini. It gets boring really fast.

It always existed, but if you're asking about its modern form, this .

Also, that pic is fucking retarded, "photorealism" refers to an art movement of realistic painting of the 20th century that imitates photographic reality, usually by copying photographs. It's different from the classical realism of the 19th century in that the artist doesn't try to capture a witnessed slice or scene of real life, but imitates photography and captures a single moment like a camera does. It's different from hyperrealism in that it can imitate photographic effects, while hyperrealism is about copying reality itself as closely as possible.

Naturally, photorealism won't have fucking girls in armor unless it's an imitation of a photograph of a larp event or something. And then it can have any fucking absurd costume a girl could wear, art styles have nothing to do with practicality of the stuff it the art represents.

>Huge head
>Wide, childbearing hips
>Topheavy as fuck
>Skinny, spindly legs
I know this is what armor looks like and most things about real combat look dumb because that shit is about staying alive and killing your opponent, not looking good, but damn if it doesn't look silly to me.
I much prefer stylized stuff like this

I would rather play an historical campaign than 90% low-quality high fantasy crap that infest the hobby.

this but unironically

I can't help but to think he took that cuirass from a midget. It looks several sizes too small for him and these cute little tassets flapping around don't help.

This. Once postmodernism shined a light on the fact that "realism" is just as much a socially constructed fantasy as its supposed fantastical antagonists, intended not to recreate anything but its proponents' subjective views of how reality "should be," it became exposed for the simple refuge of the racist and sexist that it's always been.

funny you should mention that, I found one of the mass effect 3 concept artists on DeviantArt once and several of his ideas for Cerberus operatives were pretty goofy looking. Though he expressly mentioned "I was going for how real combat armor and space suits tend to look funny. The idea would be to make their funny appearance become terrifying based on what they could do, not how they look. Then you get players crapping their pants when they see a guy with a huge, geodesic dome bubble helmet because he can run faster than you and ruin your day with a few hits."

>postmodernism.
>having any value whatsoever.

Your whole life and your whole world is postmodern, it's not about "value" or anything, it's just how things are.

>meme

Haha user, realism is the most boring thing in the world. If we took into account gravity, time, blood loss, exhaustion, biology everytime something happened in a story we'd get nowhere. It's the least important aspect for anything. The only time it's remotely useful is when you want to make a style of it, but even then it's never full realism you always fall back on a little weird circumstances.

Realism is what we're breaking away from.

Obscurantism is not a virtue.

>photorealism

It says it all.

But ignorance is bliss

Romanticism itself was a reactionary movement, tho.

Because "realism" is just nitpicking.

Like these people think they're so smart that a rare event would likely never happen and they think they are the first to call it out.

And we're in this weird age of blogging and YouTube faggotry where these people have a large platform where they can piss out their stupid observations.

When fantasy became a thing.

>roll a d100 to see if you're born into the correct tier of society
>ah, too bad user. You're a farmer, you own your grandfathers rusted to fuck spear head. If the man who owns your land finds it he'll have you hung
>now roll for number of children, diseases, injuries and their penalties

When people realised telling stories about stuff that didn't happen is better.

>Roll 3d6 in order for stats

Rolled 3, 5, 6, 3, 5, 6, 1, 5, 5, 1, 1, 2, 3, 6, 4, 5, 2, 5 = 68 (18d6)

Here you go

When morons began to push the "if it's not realistic, it sucks" meme while showing off how little they understand reality.
>Why do fantasyfags insist that the setting shouldn't be realistic to be "interesting"?
Because if one were to run a campaign set in a realistic depiction of medieval times, people wouldn't want to play it because the moment they get a nick, they'd die of infection since, y'know, antibiotics weren't invented yet.
>Is "interesting" even a good thing?
Let me answer with another question, would you rather spend four hours playing a game you enjoy or four hours doing something you don't enjoy?

Realism is garbage and universally means you're just overcomplicating things for the sake of claiming "realism". What matters is internal consistency within the setting. If your waifus wear their chainmail bikinis and that's considered armor, then that's considered armor and you can maybe even try justifying it within your setting. Realism has nothing to do with being interesting, it's just a way shitters make games a slog.

What's the matter, user? Don't you like high lethality games?

Try
>Stylized
>Stylized
>Stylized Naturalism
Realism would be a male knight in full armor with no polishing or romanticism

The 3rd image doesn't even approach photorealism

>people experiment with different aesthetics
>realism fags start whining about all other aesthetics
>people make fun of realism fags

Nice try, you're a dirt farming peasant, so all your stats are 10 by default.

You are very bad at this. Go on, go an play a peasant NPC class.

Not when it boils down to who scores a OHKO first. Might as well not even use dice at that point, just have the DM flip a coin and whoever calls wrong loses.

"""realism"""
Just because you like being an absolute douche to your players doesn't mean you're into realism. It means you're a dick.

But you don't have to eat regular meals, that's a pretty big nutrition meme.

Why? You do realize that NPC is supposed to stand for "Non-Playable Cahracter" right? You can go ahead and be a dirt farmer hoping not to die by the age of 14 to a stray gardening wound while the rest of us have fun playing actual characters.

STR 14
DEX 14
CON 11
INT 4
WIS 13
CHA 12

I'm a dirty peasant alright

Reminder that armor was painted.

>photorealism
>skull kneepads
>hair unbound and long
>spikes on elbows

lmao

Funny thing, high lethality realistic games would mean that fighters die after a fight. There are plenty of cases when warriors suffered fatal injuries and died hours or days later but kept fighting. That's especially true for penetrating wounds.

When faggots like you started getting annoying with your constant bitching about bbobplate when you dont even know shit about metallrugy. 9 out of 10 times Realism-Fags are exactly as wrong as the other two retards only twice as annoying.

>Why do fantasyfags insist that the setting shouldn't be realistic to be "interesting"?
Why do you insist that everything has to be realistic, grim and gritty?
Why is everything that has elves and dwarfs in it suddenly GENERIC when you cant even come up with an interesting setting yourself.

>Is "interesting" even a good thing? Players and characters make the setting interesting, it doesn't have to be inherently so.
Then why does it bother you? Whether a character is realistic or not should not be the be all and end all to determine whether he is interesting or not.

very underrated post, sadly

Because realismfags insist on asinine stuff and their ideas of realism often are just as fantastical and immersion breaking.

Is he now?
His statement is so deep and profound it also applies to people who has learned about history from shallow sources.
So theatrical cheap armor in stage plays or miniatures, with weird oversize proportions to make it visible distinct at 100+ meters range.
So once somebody thinks thats right, its surely boring, right? Because it doesn't protect.
So when they make their poor adaption of that, it turns out worse.
So when you get a adaption of a thing from a stageplay into a play into a radio/novel drama,
that is further adapted into early cartoon and cinema movies
adapted into early color television and comic books
again: Further adapted into new media, repeating the flaws of the previous model and furthering them.
Non functional armor is simply too ugly, once you know that joints are joints.

My favorite tokens in this context, is when arrogent Victorians showed their lack of history, and literally created "muh dark ages" and "muh black and brown", literal non existing historical contexts, which is commonly refereed to, at this age.
Muh heavy armor is another one, or literally destroying armors by removing their lacquer.

Why would you pick such a word?
Real isn't what he was going for.
Extreme is a better word. Or harsh silhouette. Or even contrast.
Maybe even "practical design", which is a real term for what happens when you have to apply technology, without a way to cover its looks.

People who unironically ate up the Marxist POSTMODERNISM-meme and now harp how everything is racist and sexist need to kill themselves.
In fact, if suddenly Brimstone rained from the sky and Hitler crawled out of a fiery hole smelling of sulphur just to start in the 2020 US election for president I would vote for him even if that means the end of the world as we know just so I can be sure every single postmodernist fucking dies.
You people ruined art with your critical theory bullshit and now are trying to ruin both literature and cinema. Postmodernists are the fucking cancer of human sciences and managed to make turn them into a fucking joke.

Internal consistency and verisimilitude > realism.

I think OP's post proves this. Long hair, odd skull knee thingys, random spike elbows. and a female warrior

muh realism guys fucking suck, some of the worst discussion i've seen on Veeky Forums has been between people arguing some over minutiae about how a piece of armor works, how a certain weapon works in a very specific context, way past the point where it would matter to simulate in a game. just psuedo nominds gabbling about shit they don't know. really good example from the past monthes: the 'warrior culture' threads. you can find and see some bad shit in those.

this guy beat me to the point

>postmodernism

Postmodfag, is /pol really that slow right now.

I'm not certain the skull kneecaps are particularly authentic either, but they at *least* should have given her a military haircut.

Meant for.