Weekend Warcraft Lore General

International Relations Edition

Discuss the lore and story of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Document compendium: Contains official (ex-canon) DnD 3.x variants and a fan made DnD 5e version! Also the official Warcraft Chronicles volumes 1 and 2.
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBM3V0Sm5NTlBITlk

Previous thread

GIMME DAT BUTT

might as well clear the air

RvB was a mistake

Or at least the way it was handled.

"My father once told me the world was gonna roll me, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed" -Jaina Proudmoore

Why nightborne dont believe in Elune if they were created by her anyway?

The Syndicate did nothing wrong

Because they are enlightened by the Nightwell, not any phony gods fake blessing

They don't?

Elune definitely exists, and is the only actual god of the setting

There are more gods, such as the Old Gods

begone forest thot

Well yeah.. suddenly war, again? we never stop, never seem to dial down from going full out against one another or an external threat. Now after the legion, after a war that took us to another frigging planet we need tens of years to recover. Heal and repopulate- not lurch directly into world war 4? because the warchief I'll never stop hating and greymane's fersona had a questline of beef in zone 1 of legion.

Now to explain it. My issue with sylvanas
>vol'jin becomes warchief
>horde REEEEE's because "muh orcs!"
>vol'jin dies before legion proper
>the undead elf (female) in boob-plate and thigh highs becomes warchief
>horde players are curiously silent
I detest the hypocrisy that allowed her to get in. That being an orc stops mattering when fanservice is involved

nightborne character creation cinematic got datamined

The old gods aren't actual gods (by our definition). They're on par with the titans.

That's moon thot to you stunty

Doesn't confirm or deny that they worship Elune or not though

Her name is Mu'sha, and she works in tandem with her brother An'she as the eyes of the Earthmother.

>inb4 the resident Sylvanis apologist chimes in with "what did she even do wrong" again

>amanigger
>judging anyone
you should've dealt with the elf infestation before you got ARATHID cuck

well Thalyssra seems to think" elune's wisdom" is retarded

We really need more lore about An'she. Honestly it could have been fun if Tauren were able to be Paladins from vanilla and they made druids the alliance class. For balance you'd have leather to mail wearing classes that function in all different roles, while for lore you'd have a lot of time and quests discovering the similarities between their sun and light worship. I mean what do we even know now about the sun walkers?

>disgusting Tauren blasphemy

You're cruizin for a bruzin brul

Tauren paladin were a mistake, let's just get that out of the way.

See I don't even care about her crimes and flaws. I just want my tinfoil confirmed that Sylvanas is warchief because she has tits and the horde is ok with that. I want the horde players to admit their hypocrisy

Tauren paladins and priests were not a mistake. They've not had a chance to truly reflect their specific race-class lore. People saw "HOLY COW" and thought that was the end of it.

>They've not had a chance to truly reflect their specific race-class lore.

Because it was shoehorned in. They were a druidistic/shamanistic race based on central plains Native Americans.

>Horde players are curiously silent

Are you sure? I'm part of a Horde guild and every lore discussion eventually devolves to "why the fuck is Sylvanas of all people warchief I fucking hate her bring back Vol'jin"

which horde players have at any point been okay with the tit-witch?

I'm fine with tauren priests, sun worship is pretty close to light worship, but Tauren paladins are dumb

Should have been undead paladins

And Sunwalkers and Seers are an extension of their druidic and ancient lore. It's just that "Paladin" and "Priest" are the most accurate in-game representations of what that lore manifests as, and because all paladins and priests are either humans or draenei, they had no cause to ever respect them, since their lore is entirely different yet they share the same in-game class identity as them. At least in Legion, priests tried to make a token acknowledgement that they come in all shapes and sizes and show their faith to different things in different ways, but for paladins, it's human or bust.

Judging by the few metrics I as not a horde player have.
If I'm being honest? a healthy sampling of the official and MMO-C forums.
If I'm being a salty faggot? every horde player who got big into garrosh

Your entirely wrong. No one complained about vol'jin being warchief, people STILL complain about sylvie

Now that I could have gotten behind.

Did Cordana need to fall?

Since priests have shadow discipline from forsaken needing a way to be priests, should Paladins have a darkness try? Maybe call it Inquisitor or something to represent them doing the morally grey stuff?

Considering druids balance between solar and lunar energy, I thought it was pretty obvious that Tauren specialize in solar and night elves specialize in lunar.

No, because the light doesn’t care if you’ve been killing the wrong people. It’s s force of magic, not faith.

>MMO-C posters
>people
this was your first mistake.

That's bullshit and you know it, the sun was never a part of the druid's arsenal and the entire given reason for the formation of the sunwalkers is "druids don't love the sun enough"

She was a literal who that got more screen time than several faction leaders.

But the best faction leaders have always gotten little-to-no screen time

>The emergence of the Sunwalkers is a sign of both troubling times and the unending duty the tauren race has to the Earth Mother, in which hope is their greatest weapon.
>Concurrently with the war against the Lich King, Brightmane and Sagewind discussed whether the tauren have overlooked a key aspect of balance, noting the night elves' near exclusive worship of the moon, known to the tauren as Mu'sha. Yet both Mu'sha and An'she, the sun, are the eyes of the Earth Mother. The pair concluded that the night elves, through their ties to tauren druids, passed on their cultural prejudice against the sun to their tauren students. To properly revere the Earth Mother they hold sacred, the two decided to strive for balance and further explore the powers of the sun, An'she. Brightmane, a warrior who fought on the Icecrown Glacier, remained hopeful that An'she would shine across the sky, and victory would be won by the mortal races, no matter what perils remained.
>It appears that the two developed new techniques to wield the power of An'she, and the Sunwalkers were founded as a result of this avenue of power, and a new path to revere balance and the Earth Mother. Alternatively, this path was already known (most likely to traditional tauren healers, the Seers), and has simply been rediscovered.
>The way of the priest is a new one for the tauren, but it draws on the ancient traditions of their seers.

That solar/lunar balance is the entire crux of tauren belief in the Earthmother. It's not that the tauren specialize in solar power; it's that they revere both the sun and the moon together, as opposed to night elves who solely worship the moon. The problem was that night elf bias against the sun rubbed off on them during the initial cultural exchange, and it was only during late-Wrath and before Cata that Tahu Sagewind and Aponi Brightmane realized that "hey, we're totally neglecting An'she in our practices; let's fix that."

You mean like Mekkatorque?

Its more of a slight at Tyrande imo

Not bullshit, night elves just never gave two shits about the suns energy since elune is a moon goddess. But it's been cannon from day 1 that Tauren and night elves worship two sides of the same coin

Yeah, and Lor'Themar, and the council of three hammers that aren't the shit one, and Baine

More specifically, the night elves worship one side of the coin, while the tauren worship the whole coin. They've simply dedicated some extra time to the side the night elves have ignored.

Then why do night elves have to use the sun with druid spells now?

Game mechanics

I liked the idea behind Baine's initial story, how he had to come of age quickly and take the lead as tauren chieftain following his father's death when he clearly wasn't ready.

Game mechanics. I suppose you could justify it as druids acknowledging that nature cannot survive without the sun.

I miss green wrath and insect swarm

As bad as they are, at least they actually bothered to explain why they exist now

I still have no fucking clue why there are orc mages

>I still have no fucking clue why there are orc mages
Warlocks going into rehab?

I like how the difference between Cairne's age and Baine's age implies that Cairne had many other children, they just all died fighting the centaur and quillboar before the orcs came

Fuck that, they should have just included the sunwalkers and left druid spells alone. Fae caster is better than celestial caster

Good post. Now is the earth mother the same person as elune? I always thought Tauren and night elves were like Muslims and Christians, worshipping the same god with a different name/story

The Forsaken taught them how to do magic from what I remember

Feel like anyone should be a mage, all it takes is study.

>Now is the earth mother the same person as elune?
No. The taurens say that Mu'sha (Elune) is one of the two eyes of the Earthmother; the other eye is An'she.

See, this makes sense

At least it would, if Garrosh wasn't warchief. I could understand Thrall encouraging orcs to learn from the elves and undead to promote unity, but Garrosh? No way in hell he'd let it happen

>the only actual god of the setting
>a setting where "gods" are just super powerful aliens or transdimensional beings
>not gods by the definition
Quality writing, Blizzard.

Besides, Elune didn't actually create shit, only whispered to a few of her followers.

Pc's are one of the lore breaking outliers of wow. Even though there's millions of us, the game pretends there's only a handful of us. So all night elf druid players would be the ones who decided to go the extra distance, hence why they're the heroes of azeroth.

Unless of course blizzard made npc night elf druids start using solar power, then I dunno

nah bro, she created the night elves

Because of kalecgos/khadgar most likely. Agaisnt jainas will they've tried their best to make the kirin tor a neutral faction

She actually created a lot of shit. The druids are her and malornes children.

Garrosh likes it when one orc can destroy an army by sneezing fire.

Just because some trolls saw the moon's reflection in the magic pool that turned them into elves doesn't mean the moon had anything to do with it.

Elune is just going to be a "Light Lord".

If I worked on the game I would have made the Earthmother Azeroth, as in Azeroth's world-spirit, because then that would at least be some retroactive foreshadowing that could be worked into that whole retcon. But they don't seem to be doing that.

How?

What do the night elves call an'she? What do they call the Earth mother? Or is that just Tauren head cannon

Nah, neutral faggots are the mistake.

Cenarius his her and malorne's child (so the night elves say), druids just learned from him.

I distrust the elves' story about that, though, because I doubt that Blizzard wants to have to work around "fucked a stag once" in their story for what Elune is.

Religion can be religion even in a fantasy universe, it can be based on faith, not fact

There is no An'she to the night elves, as they don't acknowledge the sun, nor do they acknowledge the Earth Mother. The Earth Mother is a tauren thing.

I wish blizzard could just let myths be myths

Thought it was hinted that Ysera was the one that fucked the deer.

The centaurs came from a stag and an earth elemental slamming hips.

she's a goddess, she can do whatever the fuck she wants

>We really need more lore about An'she.
From the Sunwalkers and the modern Seers existing, we can acknowledge - as pointed out in - that An'she and his power are very real and that he is a legitimate source of strength and hope for the tauren people.

You know, there's a question there. What IS the sun?

Azeroth has a sun, and Draenor has a sun. but other planets seem to not necessarily have them. Argus doesn't have its own, and none of the worlds we get to visit briefly have one from my recollection. But what suns we do have seem to have some connection to the Light, since tauren sun priest/paladins and arakkoa both draw very light-like powers from it without themselves thinking of it as "the Light" that other races use. The arakkoa even built a giant machine for focusing sun power into a weapon, and it's not just a giant mirror/lens laser because it doesn't act like one and when we got to control a miniature one it was able to shoot projectiles as well as beams.

So, what are suns? Just big lumps of leftover light energy left over from the creation of reality?

You can always go and ask fucking Cenarius man, he alredy said he was son of Elune and Malorne

Did Dreanor have a sun? The day and night cycles make it hard to tell. But it doesn’t explain why Shadowmoon is always dark.

is Cenarius older than Night elves? I mean, if elves evolved from dark trolls, than why he has upper body of elf when he is son of dragon mating with stag? Which also begs a question about source of dragons aspect elfish form.

Cenarius is half night elf because Elune has night elf form, at least some times.

Dragons use elf aspects because elves were the first mortal race to save the world and it makes them proud or whatever

Dragons can pick whatever humanoid form they want. Kalecgos and the Deathwing family chose human forms, and Chromie is a gnome.

Elune has never taken form tho? I don't recall ever seeing her anywhere in game.

This. Tho you have to notice there are certain trends, like all black dragons taking human form

Would be cool if we got some blood elves bonding with Tauren over Sun worship

Not in game, but in mythos. That she came out of the Well and uplifted the night elf race.

Or did you actually think the moon came down to get fucked by a deer?

The blood elves do have strong sun iconography and identity, though not quite in the same way as the tauren.
>Masters of magic, and with a natural affinity for wielding it, the high elves championed the belief that they were the "sun blessed." They basked in the Sunwell's might, using it much like the Highborne they descended from used the Well of Eternity.
>The blood elves venerate the metaphorical idea of the "sun" in their culture. They consider themselves the "sun-blessed," and have incorporated it into even their social greetings and farewells. This reverence is the polar opposite belief of their night elven cousins, who hold the moon in a similarly high regard.
>In contrast to their night elven cousins, blood elven naming conventions tend to favour the concepts of the day, the sun, and brightness/light/fire over the night, the moon, and darkness. A prefix referencing one in some way ("Brightwing," "Sunhallow," "Dawnglow," "Blazefeather," etc.) is quite common in many blood elven surnames.
>The high and blood elves share a connection with the sun that is quite prevalent in their choice of family names.

IIRC, black dragons take human form because it's easier to blend in than elven form.

At least in old lore, elves were keen in sensing disguise spells, due to their magical attunement.

sun-worshipper fan club faction when? Moon-worshipper fan club faction they can have beef with when? Would anyone other than night-elves even join?

I'd like to see more intermingling amongst the disparate races in each faction

I mean, if you're going to put aristocratic elves with shamanistic native american minotaurs, why not explore what that means in terms of diplomatic relations?

The blood elves originally thought little of the tauren, didn't they?

Yes, and now they don't, and extremely little has been shown regarding that shift

Which sucks

Also, gnomes and night elves, on the same side, extremely different people, I'd like to see how their relations go

They are both human sidekicks now so it doesn't matter

Well

This is Veeky Forums, not /v/

We don't have to stand for that shit

So tell me, how do you think their relations work? They have to work together, how do they do so without offending each other?

Malorne ascended into the night sky I thought

Well it makes sense that someone would want to mingle with humans, considering they have a pretty strong empire

Maybe it's just a coincidental name but the twilight cultists probably have some affiliation with the moon. Humans in general seem to be able to do whatever they set their mind to

Being in a constant state of war for over 30 years will make people forget about little differences. I'm sure the night elves don't like all the tech the gnomes build, but at the same time they probably enjoy having it in battle. Are you really gonna get high and mighty over a steam tank that just saved your ass from becoming orc food?

Sir I'm not sure you understand what a "little difference" is'

The difference between how Tauren and Orcs view spirits is a "little difference". The difference between the society of a race that exemplifies imagination, inventiveness and technology and a race of hyper-traditionalists who live for thousands of years and live in harmony with the forest is not a "little difference"

What I mean is that for Blizzard and most of the ""fans"" they are human sidekicks, it feels very bad but we can't do anything

All of that tends to wash away after a few battles. Even for an elf 30 years is a long time to be at war. I highly doubt all the elves and gnomes that have fought together hold much disregard for each other. The ones who stayed at home might be dicks still