Names for Space Military

I'm running a Traveller game, & I need a name to call the space branch of the military. I hate the term Navy for space, & I don't like it used for space related things. Post anything that sounds like cool space/starship military people

Other urls found in this thread:

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/astromilitary.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

COSForce 1

STRATOC (Strat-toc): STRATegic Orbital Command

LEOFORCE (heraldry is that of a lion, for Low Earth Orbit Force)

OCFOR (ock-for) Orbital Command Force

Spacy

But user, navy basically means "ships" once you look at the word history.

Space Force.
Rocket Forces.

Ships float in water.
Planes fly in atmosphere.
Rockets fly in outer space.

>Rockets
sure, if you want to be a little rocket man

Who wouldn't?!?

You don't?

What are you, a pinko?

As long as they're still called ships, navy is fine.

Space vehicles should not be called ships. They should be called spacejets or rockets or starcraft.

I've gone with the usual "Starforce" or "Spaceforce". I've used made-up words from alien and/or future languages which mean "navy". I've even gone with metaphorical names "Shield of the Faith" and "Fist of the People".

IIRC, the GURPS alien modules listed the names the Major and Minor races called their navies.

Astroguard: Member of a planet's or star system's local military spacecraft force.
Star Sailor: Member of the federal spacecraft navy.
Freefaller: Soldier in the zero-gravity branch of the federal armed forces.
Ranger:Soldier in the standard ground branch of the federal armed forces.
Spacetrooper: Soldier in the assault force branch of the federal armed forces.
Scout: Member of the exploration branch of the federal armed forces.
Espatier: basically space marine. Word created by analogy to 'marine'
GROPO: short for 'ground pounder'. Ground forces unlike ship based personnel
Spacy: means basically 'Space Navy'. Really similar to 'spacey' which means high, dreamy and vague
Have a look here for more inspiration: projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/astromilitary.php

Why? What difference does it really make to call them star-ships or vessels?

>STRATOC (Strat-toc): STRATegic Orbital Command

I like this one.

>STRATOC: Boomers and attack ships
>OPCOM: Space-based special forces, landing craft, combat shuttles, drone spaceplane bombers
>AUXCOM: Strategic command tasked with managing local planetary forces

Space Force.
Use Air Force ranks.

>making airborne, scouts/recon, whatever you think "assault forces" are, line infantry and so on their own separate branches of the military

guess how i know you don't know how a fucking military works or why it's overall table of organization is written the way it is

Star Command.

Not even joking.

I only took it from the source I linked below. I don't claim it works like real militaries do.

The answer is obvious, user.

Navy sort of makes sense when you consider that space combat would bear some similarity to naval combat but fair enough how about Extory? or Spacy? Cosmilitia?, Orbital infantry?
SOLdados?, Delta Vanguard?, Freefalling flotilla?
Astro Armada?

SOAR Guard
Solar, Orbit, Aeronautic, Reentry

Honestly I'd just call it Aerospace Command and give it command over part of the Air Force's responsibilities while having the rest of the Air Force absorbed into the Navy and Army.

Depends on how advanced you are.

A Star Trek or Star Wars type space opera force wouldn't be 'Orbital Control' or the like. They'd be STAR COMMAND or GALAXY FLEET.

Likewise, a USA 2080 scenario would be more like SOL PATROL or some acronym like FEDeral SPace ARmada (FEDSPAR).

This, prefaced by country name.

UN Spacy, Mars Spacy, etc.

>Armada

That's a bunch of ships, like what float on water REEEE!

>USA 2080

In this one you'd want something that matches the aesthetics of modern US Military names. So something like Space Force with different segments divided up into commands with shortened names. (ORBCOM, LUCOM, MARSCOM, etc) Possibly with some space forces that belong to the other planet side branches under additional names.

>SOL PATROL
I dig it, but it sounds like a blues band

>SAP- Solar Air Patrol

>SESO/DESO: Seek Enemy Satellite Ops/Destroy Enemy Satellite Ops

>STRAP: STrategic Recon and Patrol (coast guard)

>Earth Guard (coast guard)

>SOLAUX Force (so-loh, like Han Solo)- SOLar Auxiliary Force

>Spaceball 1

>Galactic Federation Task Force ORION (Observe, Report, Investigate, Obfuscate, Neutralize) [paramilitary force?]

>USAF Space Command

>United AeroSpace Command (UASC or UAC)

>PIDA ("pita"
Planetary Integrated Defense Array/Area (for a region or defense module)

>SOLIDS
Solar Integrated Defense System (interplanetary SAM/railgun/laser net)

The Interplanetary Forces, as opposed to the Planetary Forces.
Potentially with Orbital Forces, and replacing "interplanetary" with "Interstellar" if that fits better

Spacemilitary.

...space forces
...guard

Terran Space Forces
Orion Guard

you get the idea

Acronyms are for communists, mutineers, democrats and republicans. His Majesty's Royal Space Force is the sovereign of the ether.
>Rule Britannia
>Britannia rules the stars
>From low earth orbit to the sands of Mars

So the RAF, SAS, OBE and all of HMS are for commies?

Came here to post this. Good job, user.

I have to admit I do like the sound of "Imperial Rocket Ships".

This.

Aero-Space Force (like an Air Force, except for space). But depends on how hard/soft the scifi is. I would definately stick with a navy or a naval theme if you are going soft scifi but a more air force theme if you are going hard.

Yeah, I don't know from where the retarded meme the space force needs to take after floating morons instead of more logical air force. Fuck, space vehicle of whatever description has far more in common with combat plane flying 20 km up (these guys virtually wear pressurized suits and breathe from air masks) than with rusty bucket on salty water...

Seafarers long ago evolved the organizational techniques necessary to safely operate a self-sufficient vessel in a potentially hostile environment for an extended period of time, and it makes more sense to adapt nautical administrative and logistic features instead of inventing everything from scratch.

It naturally follows, then, that some terms might carry over, including rank structure.

By the way, Apollos 15, 16, and 17 were all commanded by Navy men or former Navy men. And then there's even the word astronaut - "naut" as in "nautical". Astronaut literally means "star sailor". The left and right side of spaceships are also already referred to as the port and starboard sides, such as during the launch of NASA's Orion spacecraft in 2014.

Also, when preparing the public communications just in case the Apollo 11 landing failed, the last prepared section was for a clergyman to perform the rite for Burial at Sea, with "commend their bodies to the deep" changed to "...the utmost deep."

Long story short, you're a moron. The Air Force controls space exploration while it consists of drone and short hops. But if/when space travel becomes more long term, it's going to be patterned after Naval tradition, even if it technically remains under the command of the Air Force or some outgrowth thereof.

Personally were I divorcing a Spacey from the Air Force in the way the Air Force was itself divorced from the Army, then I'd give the new Spacey naval ranks.

Imagine serving on the revenue cutter IRS Auditor