Kamigakari - Legendary Arms RPG Thread

Rolled 1, 2, 4, 5 = 12 (4d6)

Last time, on Kamigakari! >Holiday cheer! All of it!
>The retelling of Chosen Classroom, revealing hidden truths... And a whole new perspective!
>A fierce battle of (against?) fire and ice, worthy of a song. The true nature of the [Яeverse Arms System]?
>New possibilities awakening in the quaint land of Gensokyo!
>An information sortout!?

Today's question: What's the big secret about that Crest of your character's?

Baseline things! And stuff:
>mediafire.com/file/183vmgy8b3w1uj3/Kamigakari.rar

Expansions and errata:
>pastebin.com/u/RoyalTeaRed

A character sheet hosted on Google Sheets (for online play!):
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U2usvvHVbKX1OdaaOVvEykud1vr7PW9cRQz8LlUqiIY/edit?usp=sharing

Mononoke homebrew guide, FAQ, and a quick rules cheatsheet!
>pastebin.com/u/HomebrewAnon

/jttrpg/ Discord - Look for games in #on-topic, not #general.
discord.gg/9RUTurB

Kamigakari is a JTTRPG focused on episodic storytelling, with simple but tight mechanics.

Its design goal is to start players spread out, getting involved with the episode's peculiarities, and eventually coming together to fight a big bad, a la tokusatsu shows, magical girl shows, and/or other such shows in that vein.

TL;DR, it's a Monster-of-the-Week sort of game with an emphasis in the fluff on high power shenanigans of just about every type.
Remember, boys and girls, Japanese schedules suck, so JTTRPGs are optimized toward quick and easy sessions.
That said, they can be adapted for longer ones.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=80YFtnTBApU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZcSh4tFuFE0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do you use the "default" setting? It has a lot of cool ideas, to say the least.

See, a part of me is like, "yeah, this setting kicks hella ass", but another part of me is like, "AAAH, POLITICS, HOW DO", and would immediately attempt to make a custom setting solely to avoid that.

Thankfully, I'm not GMing a Kamigakari campaign.

To say the most.
Ideas is all it has, and it doesn't even do anything with them. The setting is a result of what I'd call "anti-worldbulding".
Rather than taking those ideas, combining them and thinking them through, following a creative process to the creation of a coherent world, the author just took a bunch of things, threw them together on a heap and covered it up with a completely uninspired blanket excuse for why none of it has to make sense or fit together.
And even so, I'd hesitate to consider most of those "ideas" as such, seeing as they're mostly the same old concepts you see everywhere taken without any real changes in themselves or in context.

I thought that when I cracked the book open but ignored what was written to learn the rules

>AAAH, POLITICS, HOW DO
Ya keep the players firmly on specprov's side, with having the other factions help or screw over according to their beliefs.

youtube.com/watch?v=80YFtnTBApU

Okay, so i think i figured out why time wizard seems bad.

How are people deciding their initiatives, currently? Are you having people roll?

We just compare Initiative stats to decide who goes when. Don't quote me on this, but I think that's how the rulebook details it too.

Those suffer from much the same problems.
Points for consistency, I guess.

Okay, so looking back my thought was wrong. You can't get shift Immobile from time wizard B alone, and kairos decline doesn't allow you to put people below 1, at all.

That said, looking through their talents, they have a pretty damn good skillset. Their first 3 talents are [Timing: start] and two of them don't consume the timing. Kairos coffin can delay the enemies heavy hitters, and distribute lets your heavy hitter nuke first. Time donate lets them nuke more consistently or often. And all of these are before anyone else takes their turn.

Just on basis of this, they are pretty versatile, and with the addition of the expac 5 stuff their wonky costs are easily fixed due to time exception making all of their unique talents straight up O cost.

If there's anything i've learned playing RPG games, its that you should never underestimate the value of your nuker going first. I'm still looking into A though

Actually, i take that back. Time wizard A has one very special advantage over most other styles, in that it has 2 attack talents that are almost always guaranteed to hit unless you happen to be a hanyou. They also have triple aria, one of the very very few abilities in the game that lets you make a ranged or magic attack after a combat move. Quadruple aria is even better, letting you take a full turn before an enemies attack goes off in full, letting you mitigate things by potentially destroying them.

Frankly speaking, health cost on a few talents aside, they are stupid versatile as well. Not to mention rapid avoid lets you use your highest defensive stat in place of your lower one once per round Evasion instead of resist, and vice versa) meaning you could probably all in on one stat when leveling up, making yourself much tankier as a result.

Is the translation of the expansions continuing at all?

No contact with the original uploader/translator guy for a long time. Life probably got in the way of him, so no, not really.

i remember the first thread and now im really sad that kamigakari user is gone :(

a mysterious hero

Thats not entirely true. I've gotten the books and once i start scanning them we can translate them as a community.

Oh, that's cool.

this makes me happy

Where do you find the information for the Contractor style?

glad to hear it. I still need to get a camera thats good for scanning at under 100 bucks though.

If anyone has suggestions, i'm all ears

I believe thats expansion 1 in the royalteared pastebin

Gonna need a real good translator for that, 'less some brave user steps up to the plate.

Expansion 01: Requiem for the Godsoul. That's the Expansion where they debut as a playable [Style], but if you want like, miscellaneous background information, can't help you there.

So we need a good camera and a good translator. D'ya think we can make do with a nokia camera phone and enthusiasm?

I mean, i've got around 70 bucks on a gift card for amazon i could use for the camera, and the other 30 i can make up for myself. I just wanted to see if anyone had good advice on a camera

A kinkos might be able to scan it for cheap at high quality

I can ask my camera friend for advice.

that'd be appreciated.

I'll look into this

bampu

Not in the game that should be having its first session later today.

Have some more inspiration art though.

It doesn't seem like the kinkos near me can do it, but i'll try calling a couple to see if thats true

Okay, Touhouanon here with an actual short storytime.

I did a small combat tutorial with a couple of the players, The oni (Scion Godhand A/Divine talker A) and magician (Magus Elder mage A/Time wizard A). I put them up against 4 magical girls, fluffed as fairies. I'm glad i picked fairies, because this was brutal. If you aren't in to touhou, fairies don't die. They just dissappear and respawn elsewhere.

The wizard did pretty basic stuff, using kairos bleed to deal some damage then making a weapon attack to make sure they had their rolls right. Both attacks killed 1 fairy. The oni then decided to pick a boulder up out of the ground using Awesome strength and Spirit armament. he proceeded to walk up to the nearest fairy, and slam it with the boulder, Killing it instantly.

At this point, the fairies are understandably terrified of the little girl swinging a boulder as a weapon. One tries to attack the oni, doing a bit of damage, and the other uses a combat zone attack to deal damage to both of the players, To no avail

But here, the fairies luck had run out. The Time wizard split their attacks between the two remaining fairies, weakening them. After that, it was the oni's turn. She charged one, swung her boulder upward, and sent the fairy flying back 3 squares, killing it on impact. It had 7 health left and he did in the 40's. With the last fairy injured, it tried to run off and heal. It is at this point that i forgot the oni was a divine talker, and they used Kotodama of malediction. Taking a chunk of rock off the ground ,winding up, and throwing it right at the fairy, he made his roll. Double 6's. The poor Fairy ended up as Pic related.

Nothing actually story relevant happened as this was to get them familiar with the system before actual game hopefully sunday but the timing on that last crit was so beautifully timed i had to tell you guys about it.

Heya, everyone! Ruthanon here, and I'm starting up that pokemon storytime a few kindly anons wanted to read. I learned from my last mistake and compiled the whole thing beforehand, so unlike the last storytime this won't take several days to tell. I hope you like it, and I'll get back to the second episode of the Chosen Classroom campaign right afterwards.

Thread's here:

Thats a lesson all storytime anons go through.

Also, you coulda just posted it here, i don't think anyone would have minded.

It's quite long ("62 separate images" flavor of long), so I just didn't want to gum up the thread with all of that. Too late to take it back now, I suppose.

Well shit. Fair enough then. I thought it was gonna be shorter than that, but i was quite succinctly proven wrong.

I hope it's not *too* long, though it is literally just a screenshot version of the entirety of the campaign. In any case, it was fun to reread. Makes me miss that campaign.

Its longer than you made it out to be, but seems entertaining enough so far.

I could have sworn it was shorter, as hardly half a day had actually passed in-universe before it died, but apparently it lasted a bit longer than I recall.

If you've ever watched DBZ, you know that in-universe time doesn't mean shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZcSh4tFuFE0

>making a weapon attack to make sure they had their rolls right.

was the weapon attack something that let them manipulate spirit dice or was the player practicing melee attacks to make sure they could do the procedure correctly?

What was that about

bampu

More the latter. They'd already sort of done it with kairos bleed, but it was their first actions in the game system period, and they wanted to make sure they knew how it worked baseline.

While we're on the topic though, i did find out that i'll probably need to buff my bosses HP a bit. The oni hitting for 40 damage without using full power really put things into perspective, and that was just 1/3 people.

have you looked at the pastebin for the homebrew mononoke making guide?

I've been told the default rules are a bit confusing and the guide was meant to help GMs by giving clearer advice and possibly rules.

i hate to be that guy, but i'm the one that made the pastebin. The reason i made it is simply that kamigakari as a game gives no rules ever for making mononoke. None at all. So i gathered all the data i could, which amounts to two books worth, did some logical deductions that are less obviosu like size being a default for damage die and tried to give the closest thing i could to actual mononoke.

Unfortunately though, all it is is a congregate of data, with no real playtesting, and no one has shared anything on their homebrewed stuff besides me. That said, mononoke are meant to be somewhat squishy, since they can get up to three seperate health modifiers with a talent and the two templates. I just didn't expect the oni to hit quite that hard yet. Just gotta add the talent, i guess.

user from the kamigakari game that was recruiting in a previous thread, wasn't able to attend most of the session, was able to catch the tail end of the combat. The session just finished a few minutes ago, the group had their first combat. It was pretty good and flowed well once the players figured out how to do damage and all that.

Hooooo boy!
First session of Kamikagari I ever played is done!
It was fun!

do you want me to do some playtesting for you?

am I wrong or is her spine bending at a rather severe angle between her waist and hips?

you don't need to go out of your way too. I'd just like it if people shared more of their homebrewed stuff and how well it did or didn't work.

Not for a woman.

huh?

the human body isn't supposed to bend that way between the hips and waist

Spoken like people who haven't watched gymnasts. Men can't do that easily. Women can do that easily. It's in their body design.

Well congratulations to you two. Did anything neat or cool happen? Did you crit some fairy into a crater? Did someone go on a berserk rampage?

If you don't wanna story time, thats cool. Just something neat that happened would be nice.

Dude a lot of women don't have a gymnast's flexibility either. It takes both intense training and natural talent, the latter of which is rare.

well, that picture is pretty sci-fi. Maybe she's an artificially enhanced super-limber super soldier.

I think one of us accidentally gave an elderly god of war a heart attack by waking him up too early.

I'm guessing he was being smuggled to a hospital for decontamination and rehabilitation, but instead he got woken up in transit by one of us and the shock caused him to fall apart into a trio of hostile beastial creatures who we then had to slay. It was our first combat and the beasts could each do over half of any of our HP a turn.

Luckily we all managed to survive.

>I think one of us accidentally gave an elderly god of war a heart attack by waking him up too early

This sentence is hilarious

One of the players fumbled and lost over half their HP

fumbled how?

'Nuvva user, this one bein' a player. So, here's how it boils, lissen close-like.

The year is 20XX, and Earth got invaded by hell. Thankfully, the Celestial Realm was nice enough to give mankind (and all those other races) a giant ship to get out of in, called an Ark. Now, it should be established that all those other races have combined with humans, and work together to help sustain living.

Anywhoosers, mankind found a new place to set up shop, but some folks are still on the Ark, and that's maintained by Susano'o, the Storm God. It's called New Yamato, and the place is maintained by Peacekeepers, Godhunters led by some higher-ups that swear to maintain peace for New Yamato.

Introducing...
Kourin (family name unknown), a Human girl recently introduced into the Peacekeepers that really likes to punch things. Gets too easily exciteable, and this bites us in the ass later.
Kusakabe Fuuka, the calmer, better-mannered, and faster version of Kourin. Totally responsible human.
Callahan John (shut up i might as well do it for him too), a much older Scion gunner man that's been working for Peacekeepers for a while.
Hokuto Kuga, a Demon-Eyed that did not [Appear] during the first episode. Probably about the same age as Fuuka and Kourin. But I swear that they're in this season. Promise!

Today's [Episode] starts off by a fantastic day of nothing in the lounge, with Kourin bemoaning the existence of nothing, having expected a great deal of excitement on the job, and Fuuka reprimanding her, while pouring herself some coffee.

Callahan (which i now realize is probably not his last name, Callahanon please correct me) comes in on the two, having just come back from a case. He's followed by the Peacekeepers' mascot man (pic related) carrying food for the others, currently named "Roy" this week (he really likes to change names a lot, apparently).

Fuuka, then Kourin, introduce themselves, and it turns out that this floor's coffee is absolute trash, so Roy goes off to go get them some new coffee. Kourin suggests that they try and get better coffee before Roy does, which eventually leads to them instead going to the chief's office, both so Callahan can drop off the files for the case, and so Kourin and Fuuka can actually get assigned.

Out other two didn't have to do that in order to lose that much.

At the Chief's office, the trio get told that some stuff from the Old World (aka the New Hell) is being brought over, and it's gonna be their job to go cover for it, much to Callahan and Kourin's chagrin.

One launch sequence later, they arrive at the scene, but the most notable thing there was this brown box, which had this real uh, "suspicious" aura 'bout it. Kourin, being in the absolute know about this sort of thing, suggests that they crack it open, which Fuuka and Callahan are somehow against. Later, it throws out this real mean smell, meaner than Roy's. While Callahan contacts the Chief about the matter, Kourin pressures Fuuka into going up and touching the crate, which causes... something to happen.

"The box creaks. The miasma drifts out into the air, surrounding the entirety of the crate and the room. The space around the three contorts, turning into a grayscale reflection of itself."

See, this is the part where I think, "yo guys, time to meet the BBEG", but it's not like that. Sure, the guy fuckin' tears out of the box, is fiery and black and metal and shit, but he introduces himself as Kovas, "a long-forgotten God of War". While Kourin thinks it's cool, Fuuka wants to get him back into packaging, but then Kovas has a sudden heart attack (gods have those, apparently), and burns up into three smaller, hostile, creatures. It's a shame he never wrote down his will, because it's TIME TO KICK SOME ASS.

Fuuka goes in, and trips one of the bone guys, which Kourin runs up, and SMASHES DOWN. Callahan starts shooting, and gets a clean hit. However, Kourin takes some heavy damage from that guy she smacked, as she rolled snake eyes on her defensive action, which, as you know, really fucks things up. The GM also rolled pretty well, I have to admit. Some other things happen, but the battle lasts about three rounds, most of which was on our favor, thankfully.

'Course, this combat was interspersed with "first combat" madness, and we were all trying to get the mechanics all down. Y'know what, though? I had fun. I had fun "cheating" my way into getting nice damage every turn.

>I think one of us accidentally gave an elderly god of war a heart attack by waking him up too early

Note: This is me just coming up with a way to summarize an event I saw.

What was actually happening with that has not been revealed.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty fucking scared about what's going on. But being the character that I play as, I won't let things that make no sense block my way!

Sounds like your game is off to a good start! Looking forward to future storytimes

>i remember the first thread

When was the first Kamigakari thread?

Update:

It seems to be around January 15th 2017
May be a different day depending on your time zone?

What are ways to deal with a situation where the 3 our of 4 or 4 out of 4 of your spirit dice at the start of a session are not useable by you character in combat?

I'm guessing you would want to find reasons to roll dice early in the session outside of combat?

What are recommended ways to deal with uncooperative start of session spirit dice pools?

Well, there are a lot of ways to deal with an uncooperative spirit pool.

They include, but aren't limited too
>Use dice whenever possible
>Influence a good dice for one you don't need
>Get a spirit fixer like aura commandment
>Get a spirit fixer like scions advent or superhuman strength
>Spend a full turn changing 1 die to any value
>Have a digital sorcerer or other class give you overflow
>Get talents that reduce the cost of yours, so your spirit pool is more managable

These are most of the ways to deal with the issue you are having.

Option 1: Have a cybersorceror babysit you. It builds teamwork!
Option 2: Take a [Gather Spirit] action. You do nothing for you entire turn, but get to change a spirit dice to whatever you want. I assume you can't do this outside of combat.

I guess you shouldn't build a character that's hyper dependent on lucky spirit pools.

> I assume you can't do this outside of combat.

No you cannot. You don't get timings out of combat. You can, however, throw dice at rolls and swap dice as necessary.

when the user posted a pdf of kamigakari and said "hey i translated this what do you think"

holy fuck its been a year what the fuck

Not by most people's reckoning. Y'see, when kamigakari user first put it up, the threads lasted around a month, ending in february.

Then threadmaker user brought it back because he liked the game, and that was sometime in june or july

idk its just shocking that this pdf has been sitting in my collection for a year and im just now starting to organize shit for it and look at these threads again

Ah, thankee kindly. Wasn't exactly sure if it was great or anything. I'm looking forward to the next ass-kicking episode of [Gods in the Twilight]!

>Today's question: What's the big secret about that Crest of your character's?
Kourin's Crest... Honestly? I kinda didn't have a plan for it, but now that I think about it, I might have something... Eh, it's probably nothing

I've only been aware of kamigakari since november.

What's the point of crests anyways?

Crests in fluff are simply a plot device to say you got power somehow. Its a good way to give backstory without much effort.

It also acts as your resource for spirit burn

I forgot to mention, crests also act as a "Symbol" that denotes a person or aramitama. Its like a fingerprint, or something like that. Each one is more or less unique, and their abilities are supposed to show the crest. Distortions especially will have the crest of the creator in a pretty obvious spot.

Used properly, it can be used as a plot device to move things forward as well as to give information

>idk its just shocking that this pdf has been sitting in my collection for a year and im just now starting to organize shit for it and look at these threads again

Welcome back.

Someone has storyimtes a second Pokémon Tabletop United campaign in this thread after ruthanon finished theirs.

>Heya, everyone! Ruthanon here, and I'm starting up that pokemon storytime a few kindly anons wanted to read. I learned from my last mistake and compiled the whole thing beforehand, so unlike the last storytime this won't take several days to tell. I hope you like it, and I'll get back to the second episode of the Chosen Classroom campaign right afterwards.
>Thread's here: