Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8
youtu.be/zbY8yzy3cQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=WHFm94-zdYs
youtu.be/8Mv7CE1XlZk
youtube.com/watch?v=MaN3pwBsRf8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Metallurgy

Because they're a race of industrious smiths generally considered to have the best metallurgy.

Depends on the setting.

Frodo, did I ever tell you about Alfrid Lickspittle?

He was a servant to the Master of Laketown in TA 2941, and later assisted Bard during The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. He had more screentime than me and Gandalf. He was created by Peter Jackson and was basically a clone of Wormtongue. He later dresses as a woman and hides in a catapult attached to a dead Troll. However, one of Alfrid's coins slips off his corset and falls on the catapult lever. The coin acts as counterweight, throwing Alfrid inside the troll's mouth. Both Alfrid and the troll are asphyxiated.

He was a good friend.

Because people don't like Kaladesh

That's a cool scene, but it kind of defeats the point of a shield wall.

that's so dumb, why would you put your soldiers between pointy sticks and enemy swords.

Please, this has nothing to do with OP's topic. Please don't make this look like a off-topic shitposting thread.

Why didn't the eagles clone Legolas?

Because manlets learned.

It's the OPs responsibility to post a file and text that fit well together. Posting a shitty hobbit webm is pretty obvious anti-hobbit bait

He wasn't a very good friend

Because they don't have magic

Because they're all midgets and have to compete with humans elves and orcs

>This thread again

because the elves saw the dwarves do something potentially cool and in their eternal pissing contest with the dwarves could not let that stand by and had to rush out of cover.

usually these.

Technically even applies in my setting still since gnomes are basically racial cousins to dwarves. both even come up with pointlessly ludicrous and overly complicated solutions to simple problems sometimes too.
Like dwarves trying to deal with a massive population drop due to their refugee status by using alchemy to reduce the negative effects of inbreeding.

Best comment of the new year

what the shit. did I fall asleep during half the hobbit movies or something? I dont remember any of this embarrassing cgi vomit.

It's stated in the original book that the elves rushed out of their defensive position and charged the orcs first. Jackson could have portrayed that in a less retarded way but at least it's true to the book

The Hobbit movies were an off-topic shitposting trilogy

Neckbeards have an affinity towards technology irl as well.

I'm sorry how can one book be a Trilogy? Did I miss something?

If you split one book into three movies, you get to sell three times as many tickets. And you can just make shit up to fill in the time, add your own waifu characters, anything goes!

youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8

It's not uncommon to repress traumatic experiences.

Ask the Norse, nigger.

Did no one pointed out how dumb that was?

Neckbeards.

They were never the "technology race" in the classics, it's a perfidious RPGism that managed to infect other fantasy as well.

It's not unusual to see me cry, I wanna die...

Because they are reddit:the fantasy race
>manlets
>grows a beard to compensate for lack of natural manliness
>le science conquers all XD
>stale memes
> artisinal craft brew

But it was relevant, the dwarves used their technology to defeat the elves' arrows.

>compensate for lack of natural manliness

Well, the elves in the books are Tolkien elves:
>magical supermen
>deep history full of bloodshed and hubris
>absolute hatred of goblins, like seriously, dwarves need a book to remember their grudges, elves just remember them all the time

Like many other things, it made sense in the book, but not in the movies, mostly because Jackson cannot into visual storytelling .

What's the matter, did you get cucked by a manlet?

I didn't bother watching the third Hobbit.

Are these scenes real?

The Norse did not have the bearded manlets in their mythology. Their "dwarves" were elves (just like in Elder Scrols).

First one looks like it is from the 3rd Lotr movie.
And yes, unfortunately all of these are real.
You can also find normies that will defend them passionately.

In my setting, they aren't. They're big on crafting things like swords and shields and axes and ploughs and hammers and so on, various tools, but they're not nearly as big into crafting machines to make work easier.

A dwarf will make the finest axe you've ever swung or the sharpest knife you've ever drawn, but they disdain machines like the printing press, or anything clockwork, seeing it as a passing trend.

In my setting, the "technology" races are gnomes, kobolds, and humans. Gnomes invented gunpowder and subsequently fireworks and cannons; kobolds are the ones who figured out how to miniaturize the technology enough to produce viable hand-cannons and eventually muskets and pistols. Humans take advantage of both while making various improvements, like the switch from matchlock to flintlock.

No, they faked them with professional actors in their extravagant costumes just for the internet.

Because Tolkien did it

I defend the expansion to Bard's character, the Arkhenstone's enhanced importance, and the fact that some of the dwarves actually got to interact with Smaug, particularly Thorin.

In the book, Bard isn't introduced until literally two paragraphs before he kills Smaug, nearly two-thirds of the way through the story, but from that point forward he's the most important single person in the book. Likewise, the Arkhenstone isn't even mentioned until after Smaug has left and Thorin is looting Smaug's hoard for it, but from that moment forward it is the single most important thing in the book.

It's jarring. Tolkien was a good writer, a great one, even, but he's not without his flaws (he seems like he was the kind of guy who'd get annoyed with someone suggesting he's perfect), and the sudden introduction of Bard and the Arkhenstone out of nowhere and them suddenly becoming so important was a good decision so that the audience isn't left going "who the fuck is this and why should we care so much about some stupid rock?"

As for Thorin and Smaug actually getting to interact with each other, that's just a personal thing that I enjoyed, I don't know if it makes the movie necessarily any better or worse - in one of my favorite movies, The Fifth Element, Our Hero Bruce Willis never actually meets, interacts with, or is consciously aware of Our Villain, Gary Oldman, nor vice-versa. They're never even in the same room at the same time, though there's brief shot where they avoid this by literally a second (Willis gets onto an elevator at the exact moment Oldman steps off of another elevator) so clearly it's not a requirement. Nevertheless, I feel The Hobbit is better for it.

As to everything else - no, I don't defend it. Tauriel was given too much focus, the Shai-Hulud were stupid, and I'll personally never forgive Jackson for not trolling the audience by turning the whole thing into a musical.

Seriously, people sing a lot in that book.

But Tolkien did not do it.

Those are actually good points, but they too get dragged down by the general Jacksonness of the script

Dvergar are only good runesmiths they didn't have any additional technology.

A lot of it goes back to Norse mythology with the dwarves Eitri and Brokkr as well as the Sons of Ivaldi, who forged a whole lot of fancy items for the gods. They made all kinds of fancy magical artifacts, like Mjolnir or Draupnir, or Gullinbursti. Because of all this fancy artifice, people probably got the idea of dwarves being creatively savvy. Then, Tolkien took those same portions of myth and made his dwarves, and that's what we pull the more commonplace roots from.

>No, they faked them with professional actors in their extravagant costumes just for the internet.
Thank God.

I agree with the musical, it could have really worked.

>It's jarring

LotR and The Hobbit both inspired by folklore mythology and biblical writings. This is how historical tales flowed.

>Reading Old Testament, suddenly Jesus.
>Reading Odyssey, suddenly monster of the week.
>Reading Greek myth, suddenly bestiality.

Since these stories are meant to be folktales that appear in the LotR universe, there are other legends that tie in to the main story. There would be a adjoining legend of Bard and his family, another of the Arkhenstone and the Dwarfs. They just don't appear in *this* legend because this is the legend of Bilbo Baggins.

In fairness it was literally a bedtime story for his kids that he hadn't written down originally. He clearly was kinda making it up as he went along.

>the way shorty just flies up to the guy with no momentum whatsoever

I give a bit of credit to Jackson for managing the shitfest that had so much executive meddling it's unreal - he wasn't even meant to be the director, but Del Toro quit and the studio used their most insidious techniques ("we'll give it to someone else and they'll fuck it up", plus a boatload of cash) giving him no time but all the budget in the world, but it's still a terrible mess that no-one was happy to be working on

It's a logical extreme of both their original role in Norse/Teutonic Mythology and also of their identity in High Fantasy. Dwarves are supernaturally good smiths and healers. Applied sciences is kind of their thing. So when you have a setting with post-Medieval technology, the Dwarves are usually the ones who kickstarted the industrial revolution.

If you're asking for an in-universe explanation, I'd say this goes hand in hand with the reason dorfs are usually bad at magic: necessity is the engine of invention. Who needs magic missile when you have a gun? Who needs pyromancy when you have a flamethrower? Who cares if you're shorter and slower than most of your enemies when you can just invent the tank?

At the very least, the edited together 4 hour movie someone made of the trilogy is pretty watchable. Cutting out the Dol Guldur plotline and all but one of Legolas' scenes really, really helped.

Typically they arent, that's Gnomes.
So of the manlets you have
>Martials- dorfs, master smiths and beefy warriors
>Wizards- Gnomes, scientists and magitech inventors
>Rogues- Halflings, sneaky as shit and lucky, though less likely to ever see combat than either of the others.

Even with these distinctions I feel like having 3 different races who have the gimmick of "small BUT CAN X REAL GUD" is dumb.

Don't forget the dwarves also get the divine classes, too. Far more common to see a dour dwarf paladin than a halfling or gnome one. Also, for those settings which use gnomes as the nature-focused manlet race instead of using tinker gnomes, it's pretty common for dwarves to take that sphere for them. It's not usually as zany and "randumb xD" as Gnomish tech, but if gnomes are badger-talking forest-dwellers, then you'll often find dwarves with higher-than-average tech.

Honestly, Blizzard might have turned to shit since it got bought out by Activision, but their dwarves and gnomes are pretty good if only because of the close-knit relationship between the two races that allows for strong niches still with a bit of overlap.

Actually they were bearded but in Norse society caring for your beard was nothing special.

Here you go.

youtu.be/zbY8yzy3cQ0

I saw the first in cinema, watched the second on netflix, barely, and still haven't seen this abomination.

What happened Peter. LotR was a masterpiece. This is like a saturday morning cartoon.

Its Bilbo’s third person autobiography, finished by Frodo, expanded on by Sam, retold by later Gondorians, and translated by modern 20th century Hobbits.

It records the songs because Bilbo was interested in them, Bard is introduced when he is important because he didn’t matter to Bilbo before that point.

LotR is tonally different because its the parts that Frodo and Sam would have altered, possibly Gondorians too.

Because at least in the Tolkien universe they were literally created by the Valar of Smithing and Crafting and he imparted himself into them.

Because that’s what they did in Norse mythology, where they came from.

He didn’t want to do it. Originally they were going to get Guillermo Del Toro. Can you imagine that movie?

Dorfs are just autistic and have better pattern recognition skills then everyone else. This is also why they are annoying for all the other fantasy races

Well what the hell else would they have going for them?

seriously, was this special edition or something? I don't remember any of these scenes.

Your mind rejected the awfulness while watching it for the first time.

Fantasy Jews.

Why are elves the 'woodsy' race?

kek

this movie sucks but cinema sins is a fucking hack

"are you telling me these characters in the movie just happen to be in the same place? 10 sins"

Why are nerds the 'technology' race of humans?

I don't know if its cool or retarded
The second and third movie were such a drag, it was all actions and battle but it was still boring
I liked the first one but the LOTR trilogy will always be the best
youtube.com/watch?v=WHFm94-zdYs
Best scene in the trilogy desu

"Are you telling me I'm not allowed to rape? 10 sins, and a Harvey Weinstein joke to deflect."

It's definitly not from LOTR

Do you have a link to that, by chance?

Jesus is not "suddenly". The concept of the Messiah coming was alluded to in a number of Old Testament books - Issiah, Micah, Zechariah most clearly.

Leaving that faux pas aside (I haven't read the Odyssey and so can't comment), while Tolkien may have been aping folklore and Biblical writings, he was neither a guy dressed in furs living in a hut telling campfire tales, nor a Prophet or Apostle. He was a scholar of the English language and should have known that if something is going to be so drastically important to your plot, you should probably hint or allude to it earlier.

It might make it more like a folktale, but just because you ape the failings of a folktale doesn't mean that those failings aren't still failings.

That's fine and fair. I'm not calling The Hobbit bad by any means - I certainly prefer it to Lord of the Rings, at least in novel form - but I'm not going to pretend that it doesn't have flaws even as I'm happy to sing its praises in other respects.

Tolkien is the only author I've ever read who can make me hungry when he describes food and meals, for example. The man clearly knew his way around a kitchen.

*Sorry, meant to say Issiah most clearly.

>Reading Old Testament, suddenly Jesus.
That's a weird Old Testament you've got there.

Holy fuck I don't remember the hobbit being this downright retarded

In terms of the Odyssey it's also not "suddenly" "monster of the week". The entire fucking main concept of the Odyssey is that Odysseus is cursed by Poseidon to wander the sea by Poseidon. Everything that happens after that is directly or indirectly a consequence of Poseidon fucking with him, emphasizing the recurring theme of Greek mythos: hubris (ie. don't fuck with the gods or they'll mess your shit up real good). "Suddenly monsters" is not just a very simple way to put it, it's wrong.

You also forgot the Messiah being alluded to in Deuteronomy, which is a pretty big thing. The most important Old Testament laws basically have a "discard in case of Messiah" clause.

You do realize that the Hobbit is just a bedtime story for his kids rather than a historical epic in the same vein as Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion? It isn't structured like the other books because it isn't like the other books. It's a developed version of a story for children that gets wrapped up with a character suddenly introduced at the end because Bard was simply a character that sprouted up as he occurred, much like Beorn, much like the Eagles.

Because they are race of miners. Even disney acknowledged this archetype.

Now, wgen you think about it, mining is powerful incentive for technology development. The deeper you dig the more tech you need - light, carts, water pumps, drainage, air pumps, lifts , pulleys, trolleys , whatever

You need metalurgy formetal digging tools like shovels and pickaxes , so that means smelting furnaces , foundries, blacksmithing and metalworking.

You finally need to do something with minerals and metals you dig out - so that means all kinds of fine craftsmanship, jewelry, etc.

All that makes a solid foundation for development of all other kinds of technology.

youtu.be/8Mv7CE1XlZk

Superior engineering.

Sudden wife drama being the actual conflict of his journey and suddenly developing into a large portion as he defeats the suitors, the shit with his nursemaid, etc does come completely out of left field, though. It's really given no precedent or foreshadowing, but instead a monster-of-the-island story turns into "prove yourself worthy of your wife while hiding who you are to keep from being a cuck" for no real reason.

This is so dumb that I unironically love it.

>It's really given no precedent or foreshadowing
You know that Med cultures to this very day take cucking seriously, right? Italians even have a "I'm fucking your wife" handsign. There's no "foreshadowing" because it was common sense to the intended audience.

This.
If you read it it feels that way. It's very much, "What sort of adventure do Bilbo and his gang get into this week?" sorta writing.

I can accept this only - ONLY - if he was writing each chapter as he told them to his kids, or very shortly thereafter, and then did not edit them except to correct for spelling and grammar. But we both know he didn't do this.

I addressed this very point in the second part of my post that you responded ot, by the way. Here, I'll repost it:

>That's fine and fair. I'm not calling The Hobbit bad by any means - I certainly prefer it to Lord of the Rings, at least in novel form - but I'm not going to pretend that it doesn't have flaws even as I'm happy to sing its praises in other respects.

...dammit, now you're gonna make me go and listen to Symphony X.

youtube.com/watch?v=MaN3pwBsRf8

>Tolkien is the only author I've ever read who can make me hungry when he describes food and meals, for example. The man clearly knew his way around a kitchen.
Confirmed for a non-Redwall pleb.

This.

... why the fuck making a shield wall then?!

In fact I haven't ever read Redwall...I haven't intentionally skipped it or anything, I've just never gotten around to it.

I'd make up some cover story about not wanting to be turned into a goddamn furry, but, well, I watched Digimon Tamers, so that ship sailed back in 2001. Depending on how you define "furry", anyway.

No it doesn't.
From the moment Odysseus is sobbing on the Isle of Calypso because he misses Ithaca and his family, the theme of the polis and oikos (central themes to the book) are brought up.
Split between Odysseus retelling his story we see plenty of scenes in Ithaca of the suitors trying to marry Penelope, her insistence of denying them and Telemachus' hope of finding his father.
Honestly, this post just confuses me, it seems like you haven't even read the poem.
I don't even understand what you mean by
>prove yourself worthy of your wife while hiding who you are to keep from being a cuck" for no real reason.
Nor do I understand
>the shit with his nursemaid, etc does come completely out of left field, though. It's really given no precedent or foreshadowing
What? Should we get 100 pages of the nursemaid's childhood and her entire existence up until the point she betrays Penelope? Fuck no, it doesn't matter, she's a minor character that fulfilled an important plot and thematic point