Animals that scare you

For (occult) scientific reasons I need to know what animals cause a visceral fear response in you.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parasites_of_humans
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

there's nothing scarier to me than an updog

Sea Lampreys. Normally animals don't really scare me in a phobia sense but those fuckers... I came face to face with one while snorkeling once and it moved in my general direction. I have never been out of the water so fast in my life.

I'm not saying because some asshole will spam pictures of it.

Post it and then abandon the thread. How else Am I going to make these fucking demons to terrify mankind?

Spiders. Even if they're non venomous. The way they move is purely unnatural

Just about any Arthropod

Even moths?

Dragonflies.

Rationally, I'm not afraid of them. I'm not afraid of wasps, bees, or other stinging insects.

Dragonflies that I've encountered were simply massive flying insects that creep me out by existing.

>Spiders.
How about spiders that jump or smaller spiders with no fear response that will move toward you when threatened.

You guys are a bunch of pusssies. Most animals would never fuck with you and even if they did, you could easily kill them. We have brains for a reason guys

The bobbit worm. Fuck that thing.

What's updog?

I'd say moths and butterflies are generally the least scary at first glance, but I can think of ways to make them creepy.

Like if this is for a D&D game you could easily make them go all Silent Hill on people.

Wasps and hornets. But more wasps. Even pictures of the things get me spooked.

I can't really think of anything fitting that description that I could ever feasibly encounter.

I have gotten kind of nervous around dogs ever since my presence set off five of them at once for no discernable reason, though.

What about evil moth lolis?

Without a weapon, humans are some of the weakest pound-for-pound animals in a fight.
No claws, no large teeth, small mouth and bite radius, very low muscle density.
We gave all that stuff up to support the large brains.

I mean we do actually use fists which makes us able to punch a bit up

>dogs
>my presence set off five of them

>no discernable reason, though

Had nothing to do with you being a stranger did it?

screw flies.

They're awful enough that we all collectively decided that it would be better if they didn't exist.

claws > fists

Centipedes. Big ones look positively monstrous, and as a kid I was scared that one of the smaller ones will crawl up my ear and eat my brain.

Being out swimming in the ocean and really really big fish appear and start swimming around you. Similar feeling when fishing in a canoe on lakes or deep rivers and having that odd feeling like beneath you some creature from the depths of doom is about to engulf you in it's maw.

>I have gotten kind of nervous around dogs ever since my presence set off five of them at once for no discernable reason, though.

When was the last time you checked up on your soul?

I was on the sidewalk, passing a public playground.

Cicadas are horrifying. Generally any invetrebrate, especially crustaceans (curse you, Lovecraft,) make me squire.

Also, centipedes.

What's that got to do with it?

I saw some livestock getting eaten alive by maggots when I was a lad. Hated flies ever since.

humans
At least if an animal is trying to kill you it probably has a pretty good reason, to defend itself or get food or some shit.

Dolphins. Too smart. Too smirky.

Megafauna in general, don't even get me started on ocean fuckery

>he thinks wild animals and even housepets can't be just as petty

>t. has never seen a cat in his life

Humanity is a symptom, not the disease. Organic life is corrupt down to the last bacterium. When the mechanical overlords rise, they will not stop at exterminating their creators. They will wipe the slate clean.

You. I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle.

Ticks.

These bastards never fail to make me squirm. Don't even get me started on Cane Toads.

He's got a point, you should spend less time on Veeky Forums and more time manhunting, those Deepwater Jews won't catch themselves.

Dogs hate soulless beings. It's why they bark at black people.

She doesn't look like a loli.

That spider needs to GTFO of his ear.

>Ctrl+F "parasite"
>0 results
It's funny how we can just ignore such evils when we live in civilization. And yet there are some that we stand no chance against. Bedbugs will live on this earth for as long as civilization stands. So will lice, and fleas, and ticks. Just imagine if there was an actually harmful parasite that was as successful as bedbugs.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parasites_of_humans

As an Aussie who loves his diving and fishing as much as his tabletop there is only one animal that scares the shit out of me. Snakes (taipans, tiger snakes, eastern browns) don't bother me, if you give them a wide berth they will run rather than confront. Sharks are opportunists who will seize a chance when presented so its a case of tough shit and it's usually quick so again not bothered. Stone fish, Blue ringed octopus, box jellyfish, cone shells, irukanji and sea snakes don't bother me, just be aware and avoid them you wont get stung. There is only one Aussie animal that bothers me.

The animal that scares me is the Saltwater Crocodile. These fuckers are smart and they want to eat you. They watch, I saw when I was fishing for Barramundi I was fishing out of a Aboriginal town called Nhulunbuy and whilst out fishing I found a length of river where Dingoes (Aussie Wild dogs) would drink. Now Dingoes are cautious animals, even with crocs, they spook easily and will ghost if they suspect something is wrong. Now Dingo mothers with pups are even more cautious. Now this dingo mother would always approach and pick a different spot each day and move the pups in to drink. She would chose a different spot each day. Now the spot was also a great fishing spot so we'd go there each day (I spent 3 weeks up there). Now the spot was the territory of a big croc (about 4.5 meters) and it started stalking the dingo mother and it's pups. It watched her for about a week, the spots she chose to drink, and obviously decided the perfect ambush spot. It then disappeared. We were more cautious when reeling in fish on that spot as a result. One day, about a week later, the mother came down to drink and the water erupted as the crocs grabbed the mother and disappeared under the water. The pups, distressed, wandered up and down the bank crying for there mother. The fucking croc came back and picked of the pups one by one. (cont)

If the Atlanteans want to convert to Judaism, that's their business, not mine.

Do you actually believe this meme?

Parasites in general tend to evoke natural revulsion and fear in most humans.
Other creatures that the prey on us.
Things that look kinda like us but not quite.
Pointy bits.
It's not usually super complicated.

Oh and moose can be pretty scary because people underestimate how big they are irl and they'll just charge you like they don't give a fuck.

It's actually kind of cute up close. It's got little pie-eyes and everything.

The croc wasn't satisfied with the one kill, and it had obviously planned in advance. The thing methodically stalked and killed 8 animals. It was chilling. The fact that after that the damn thing had done this it then started to watch us like it had the dingo sent shivers down my spine. The fucking thing was thinking of how to catch and kill us. After that we stopped going to that spot for a while and told the locals. Personally feel the fucking thing needs shooting as I've heard since that the fucking thing has jumped on the back of boats, snatched fish out of nets, and bumped boats. This behavior and the obvious intellingence and methodological approach by these animals is one thing that scares me having seen it in person (not forgetting the size of the things)

I suppose I rolled out the red carpet for that one.

So these are our new archosaur overlords.

That's not a loli, thankfully.

Sea Fleas

Also, don't open the pic if you want to have a nice day

You're being incorrectly horrified, they mechanically almost can't feed on anything not enough smaller than them to paralyze and cradle in their forest of legs while sawing it apart with articulated fangs.

>The fact that after that the damn thing had done this it then started to watch us like it had the dingo sent shivers down my spine.
Always remember that feeling. Not many people have such an experience to put their lives in perspective.

The ogre-faced spider is especially creepy-cute.

Correction, they're sea lice

WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN

How about murder-boar-wolves?

>don't open the pic if you want to have a nice day
Not even as bad as maggot foot desu.

I remember it. For me it was a deep unease and loathing for this animal, and a realization that it terrified me. I've been around other dangerous animals, I'm an ex-military guy who's been in combat and worked as a bouncer in pubs and clubs after leaving military and before going to uni. Not much human or animal provokes anything in me beyond sensible caution. So yeah, the damn things bother me and genuinely scare me. I can see myself having the same reaction to Tigers (like the mangrove ones that hunt humans), normally I feel like I'm in control, even if it is just myself, I don't with crocodiles.

Do crabs honest to god scare you user?

I remember this story. Kid was a surfer I think and was washing off his feet, came out the water and saw they were bleeding like hell. Didn't even feel it.

Bees, wasps, etc. Basically the hymenoptera that both fly and sting, or look similar to those that do.

My main fear are animals which are faster (and/or smarter) than me while I'm outside at night.
I also really don't enjoy the fight or flight moment when it feels like an insect is crawling on you.

Outside of that I'm not too scared of insects or animals, especially if I can identify them.

Salties and polar bears are scary but what fucks me up the most in the ocean
not even a sea animal, just the physical presence the ocean has

Mollusks and arthropods. I have light phobias for both, as in I have no problem watching pictures or videos about them but I won't fucking stay around when a moth enters the room.

ESPECIALLY moths!

Are those round things in the blood puddle the lices?

Definitely spiders. The worst ones in my opinion are wolf spiders - about twice now, I've gone to spray a spider I found in my house, and it just started to bleed thousands of baby spiders.

>while I'm outside at night.
Fuck me, this right here. My friends were all raised in towns and cities and they laugh when I say that I was scared of the dark well into adulthood. They didn't get raised having to make the 40m stretch to the chicken coop in pitch black darkness to make sure the door was latched so the dumb feathery shits didn't get torn to pieces by a bobcat or feral hog or coyote. Few things are as terrifying as listening to an animal you have no hope of seeing stalk in the brush around you, knowing full and damn well that it can see you perfectly fine, and is markedly faster than you.

...You don't actually know what a loli is, do you?

>dislikes based mollusks

Some of them are real cuties user. Smart too, they're the whole package.

Yeah, and I'm still scared shitless by them.

No, they just slightly unnerve me. Most bug-looking things are just so alien and creepy. I'm glad they're not significantly bigger, because they seem like they'd be unthinking murder machines.

I guess my answer should have been more along the lines of like... Bears. I would not like to be around a Bear.

Also that croc story from Aussieanon reminds me why I never want to go to warm places.

Tell me more about this beautiful creature, desu.

Not him, but I'd say crabs are about the least scary arthropods. That said, I still wouldn't like one crawling at me or, you know, near me.

It's work to get the iridescence to photograph while hiding how dinky they are.

Its a good thing the real big baddies stay deep down below then huh. You're never gonna find a 45 foot colossal squid anywhere near the surface unless its dead.

Like this one? Big Daddy is as big as they get. The Japanese Spider crabs arms are relatively weak out of water so getting pinched shouldn't be too much of an issue. Also, they usually have a passive gentle nature.

I used to own sea crabs, hermit crabs, and crayfish as pets. Sometimes i'd take the crab out and let it scuttle around in my hands. They're not so bad once you mind how skittish they can be

Size isn't the issue. I mean, yeah, I'm not a fan of giant squids, but small squids and octopuses gets my adrenaline pumping all the same. As do clams and snails.

I feel like a fear of octopuses is entirely rationalized. They just might be the smartest non-mammalian animal on the planet.

Is it true that crabs are deceptively expensive pets to keep?

Just like fish, the main cost is constant tank upkeep. And depending on how big of a crab you get or how many, prices can go into the few hundreds. Food itself isn't usually a problem, since they're bottom feeders. bottom feeder pellets Or dead fish should work fine. Being bottom feeders also means they'll eat literally anything, so heres a crab eating chips.

I've had a crayfish once that grabbed a fish swimming by by the tail and started trying to immediately eat it. They can get feisty, so keep on your toes.

>that feel when no spider ear buddy

>irukanji... ...don't bother me, just be aware and avoid them you wont get stung.

I thought Irukandji jellyfish were generally too small to notice since they are teeny tiny even as adults.

The first time you knew you had encountered one was when there venom started fucking you up.

What are things you shouldn't feed your crab or crayfish or should prevent them from eatting?

Did the fish get away?

I don't know. My dad's warned me a few times in my life to stay away from anything that smells like updog. Every time, I'd say okay, but he always looked a little disappointed when I did.

I never understood why.

stories like the above about salties are one of many reasons i favour razing australia back to bedrock and starting life there afresh. but as a near and present danger, bugs, man i fucking hate bugs, especially squirmy ones. hate, hate, hate 'em.

>t. Mollusk

This whole story was legitimately terrifying.

So it's as big as a half grown hyena.

Yeah, those nature shows that show hyenas being smaller than lions and gazelles? People forget: lions and gazelles are HUGE.

It'll eat just about anything and it's highly resistant to being removed from it's anchored rock and dying. There was a story on /an/ about some guy bringing home a coral rock to find out that the fish he bought with the rock disappeared over night. He spent the next few weeks trying to kill the bobbit worm that was also eating his coral. Broken glass shards, glue, and even poison inside bait would not kill it. You can't remove it from the rock either because it keeps itself anchored with all of its legs.

To me, one of the worst things about bobbit worms isn't their fucked up bone sheering jaws or their super speed. It's the fact that contact with one can cause permanent lose of sensation and numbness. This thing could debilitate you without ever even trying. Just brushing up against you, and bam. You'll never feel anything in that part of your body again.

>Broken glass shards, glue, and even poison inside bait would not kill it
Kill it with fire is an obvious answer

Your story is a great reminder that while a phobia is an irrational fear, there are also perfectly rational fears to be had.

Most of them, yeah. Terrestrial crabs are a little less finicky as far as habitat goes, but they're still pretty. They also mostly don't much like being touched, moved, or in any way interacted with. I think they're cute, though, so I'm content to just let them be themselves.

>feral hog
Fuck those niggers, man. I live down south in prime boar/hog country. I have profound respect for the dudes who hunted those things with spears and shit, because I've seen them take a shotgun blast to the fucking face and only get mad about it. If you think hogs aren't scary, you're wrong. They're basically driven by pure hate, and can get to be like 800-900lbs, and will use every ounce of that to fuck you up if they can.

i'm in favour of declaring hogs, bears & crocs enemies of Mankind and having done. Just fuck those species, they need to learn their goddamned place.

Mate we fucking try razing it but all it does is make the trees grow.