>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/600ml-VGT-800-Mini-Jewelry-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Ultra-Sonic-Cleaning-EU-Plug/152850462196?_trkparms=aid=555019&algo=PL.BANDIT&ao=1&asc=20151005190540&meid=6272958d7cb0466abaa3c0f48b6c60d0&pid=100505&rk=1&rkt=1&&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226
youtube.com/watch?v=93lrosBEW-Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Trying out stuff found from bitz box for my space beastmen.

Aaaand a wrong image.

How fucked am I if I wanted to convert a ta'unar to resemble even more a monster mk II?

Love seeing this kind of conversion work.
Are you going to make them a whole unit, or even a whole army?
An autocannon team of beastmen with one guy just holding the whole thing because why even bother with tripods would be sick.

What do you recommend for converting plague marines?

15mm orc sculpt. Still needs arms and legs but just wanted to try doing some extra textures with his mail/fur/cloth.

Painting up some Guildball dudes, and my brown is really grainy and giving shit coverage.
Is there any way to rescue it, or do I just need to buy a new pot?
I have added a bit of water and an agitator and shaken for approximately nine thousand hours, but it still behaves as a supsension of brown powder rather than a brown liquid.

Looks really good - characterful face.
I gave up in frustration when the best I could approximate was some sort of moon-faced mongoloid.

Green stuff and a pin?
A scalpel and glue?
What do you mean?

Guys I need advice, what's the best way to undercoat your models with spray cans? Should I leave the parts I intend to spray on sprues or cut them off prior to spraying beforehand?.

Note; Sprues have a fair amount of little bits.

thanks user. I used to hate greenstuff. Best way to learn is to practice on something like bluetac or get yourself some monster clay that you can sculpt in and recycle when you're done. that's how i learned to not hate greenstuff.

as to your brown problem. Brown is always a bitch to me too, mostly because the pigments used to make brown will make it very think and clump together so you end up with half a bottle of dry gloop and half a bottle of clear runny seperated medium.

best way might be to try vigorously stirring it, lightly heating it by putting the closed pot in a cup of hot water.

It could be that you just have a bad batch of brown. brown is actually one colour i now only mix or get from model paints (in the glass jars.) because in just settles oddly in dropper bottles and becomes impossibly to dislodge.
If you have consistent issues with it and you can't find one you like, I'd recommend just mixing it.

the best thing about brown is that you can mix it easily and get some very rich tones that you might not find on the shelf. Most paint companies tend to focus on the very specific earth browns and it all looks pretty boring, at least if you are forced to mix your own brown you'll get some really nice colours out of it.

depends on what you want. I build my stuff first and then prime, but I paint for the tabletop not golden daemon.

I think a large part of the problem is that this is a pot of Bestial Brown I must have had for well over five years, perhaps more than ten.
The hot water is a good idea, I'll try that.
Was considering adding a bit of isopropyl alcohol to try and re-dissolve it, see if that works, but I'll try heat before fucking with the solvent balance.

Part of what I'm worried about re: sculpting is that most of what I want to do is cloth.
For my Fools on Parade I'm building a spidery techpriest, which is mostly going to be slender servo-arms and cloak.
I guess I'll just start building stick figures out of spare sprue and then try and cloak them up.

I spray and base colour on the sprue, especially if it's something with a lot of undercuts of things held in the hands over a central detail (pic related, or classic Tactical Marines).
The alternative is to assemble up to the point where you begin concealing details, and then paint and assemble alternately.

I'm going to start a project soon-ish with more messy Blanche tones, for which I'll probably fully build, thoroughly prime black, roughly zenithal coat and then paint, but that's exploiting a style where you are meant to have missed spots and over-dark shadows etc.

Thanks for the tips.

Anyone converted Primaris to Dark Angels? Post pics/ideas

Old GW colours can still be bought from their manufacturer. Sold under the brand name "Coat d'arms". These are the soft-pot paints though, so not sure if they'll be exactly the same as the old hard hex-pot ones. May well be though, and I think they'll sell Bestial Brown.

Does anybody else want a citadel buttplug after SS period?

Ive seen them gifted and mentioned so many times I want one for me now.
Also my bluetac is getting loose two times more often after you mentioned it!

same paint, better lid.

Coat d'arms are great paints.

>my bluetac is getting loose
Add a little moisturiser or something similar to it and work it in. Not too much though or it becomes a sticky goopy mess.

And as a bonus... they still do all the terrible metallics GW came up with in the 80's. My Metallic Purple Traitor Terminator captain is.... glam :P

Neat. I hope to see you sculpts for many more years.

greenstuff cloaks is the blue hair of minis

Yes I am. Im regularly upgrading here on my progress. And Im actually planning on making some beastmen wielding said Autocannons because fuck yeah! Will probably post something related on this weekend.

Just take primaris, slap DA shoulderpads on them and done. There are tons of cloak sculpting tutorials if you are feeling fancy, but it's not like majority of DA wear cloaks. Just look for BT tabard tutorials and slap a hoodie on that.

Is WH 40k: First Strike a good starting set?
Pretty nice price for the amount of minis provided, includes primaris.

Are the rules way different than regular tabletop? Is this GWs attempt to create a regular boardgame?

Its basically a cheap entry into 40k.

The rules are no different from regular 40k rules, the book lacks lore and other parts though.

If you want to start 40k you can go with it, or maybe get a rulebook and minis for one faction only cheaper from ebay, depending on your luck.

If you want cheap minis to paint and a quick and easy 30 minute game of Warhammer to play with a friend its a nice thing to pick up. If you're genuinely interested in 40k I'd get a Start Collecting set instead.

Hello my dudes, I've moved house recently and in the process dug up a bunch of my old minis. I'm going to get back into painting but I was wondering, which brush(es) should I get?

Obviously once I'm set up and painting again I'll post pics for you all to laugh at.

Will this speed along the strippping of bulk minis?

ebay.co.uk/itm/600ml-VGT-800-Mini-Jewelry-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Ultra-Sonic-Cleaning-EU-Plug/152850462196?_trkparms=aid=555019&algo=PL.BANDIT&ao=1&asc=20151005190540&meid=6272958d7cb0466abaa3c0f48b6c60d0&pid=100505&rk=1&rkt=1&&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

any tips on how to get the Black to have a bluish tint like it does in this art?

highlight with blue instead of grey

>Coat d'Arms
Cheers lads, will look into it.

>Citadel Buttplug
I don't know how hard people are pushing with their damnbrushes, but I think I'd have to turn my models upside down and shake them to get the blutac to fail.
Don't see the need.

Aside from that, I usually superglue them to apiece of plastic so I can actually reach to paint the inner thighs and belt/skirt overhangs and stuff.
Most of the painting grips I've seen look way too big-based for my tastes.

Yes it absolutely will a great deal.
You'll still need to do a first soak and brush and then a second, but it will come off a lot easier and more completely.

>greenstuff cloaks is the blue hair of minis
wut

Sweet, thanks user. I hate stripping by hand. Cramps, y'know?

need a suggestion on what colour to paint the armour units in based my Cadian army

WIP bloodaxe Meganob.

Use the brown/grey combination from the other uniforms and paint them like the steel legion sentinels (called armageddon here).

anything specific for the interior as well?

Bone color/off-white for closed vehicles
outside color for open vehicles

Just like in reality.

Decided to try and sculpt a musclegut on one of my Kroxigors. Because I'm a degenerate.

giving it a shot, thx for the help

>I'm a degenerate.
Yes. Yes you are.

>Not liking strong, chubby Kroxigors hold you close against that scaled gut.

Either way, any critique?

Degeneracy aside, it would just go a bit harder on the detail. It looks super smooth

I sware wasn't the burning of prospero citadel guide was in the files?, Or am I just crazy.

I bet the user who's table space that is is either very excited or very ashamed to be OP image

I've never painted metal miniatures before, is there any necessary prep? Should I use a certain primer? Anything like that?

Is there a reason not to think your paints in the pot? It seems like an obvious way to do it if it's always necessary, but no one suggests it.

wash the miniature with warm soapy water and then let it dry. Use regular primer.

Other than that one or two coats of varnish after the paintjob is done might help prevent chipping.

File down any flash or mold lines with jewelers files, and then proceed as normal

Anything specific regarding basing?

Glue the miniature with super glue to the desired base and then cover the base with sand/texture paste as usual

I was wondering if they needed something special, mostly because of the weight.

WIP of my plaguecaster. Dudes giving me anxiety.

That depends on the miniature in question. If its to heavy on one side you need to glue some weights in your base to prevent it from tipping over, but usually that should not be necessary.

What minis are we talking about here?

If they come on a tab use a slotta.
If the come with an integral base you just need glue.
If you for some reason end up with a miniature without it's tab and no base you need to pin it.

Is this bait?

The old metal Sternguard

>use a slotta.
They have tabs but I want them on 32mm.

Motherfucker

then you can cut the space inbetween the feet off and leave the pegs under the feet and use those as pins.
Or you can just cut a hole in the base and leave the tab intact, in case you are concerned about the possible resale value. You'd just have to use some putty to close the whole thing back up again and secure it under the base.

>you can cut the space inbetween the feet off and leave the pegs under the feet and use those as pins.
Genius. I hadn't thought of that.

All your sickbois are shiny

No, please tell me why I'm retarded because I don't see the problem.

It's impossible to judge how thinned your paint is in the pot. And you'd need to add so much water it'd be wasteful anyway.

Don't be retarded, take a little bit and out it on your palette. Then thin it.
If it works then it will work for you too.

then go ahead and do it, no one will stop you

I like how clean the teeth are, it works well.

for different kinds of effects you want different dilutions.
If you thin it all down you can't thin it down to what you need at any given time. If you don't know what I'm talking about here you are probably a novice painter.
Do yourself a favor and leave the paints in the pots as they are.

Can someone help me identify where some of these bits come from? The head, wings, the bone.

Another picture. Apparently it's from 2012, so it's definitely not anything new.

hands with the bones are probably from the ghouls.
can't really see the head so no idea.
The wings don't really look like they are from GW. You can get wings of all kinds easily as conversion parts in 3rd party stores or from other manufacturers. Reaper and Hasslefree sell some for example.

Wings are DE Scourges
Both hands seem to be from the ghoul kit
Can't recognise the head

I've noticed that. In person it's not that bad, mainly because I have shitty garage fluorescents. Maybe someday I'll try the fridge, but desu I'm a little scared it'll make me feel bad. I think these are the first models i've really done justice except a single squad of purifiers for my pops.

Okay thanks. I just have a hard enough time getting any sort of consistent thickness as it is.

Thanks, guys. The head is the one I really want to find though. I might use one from Exalted sorcerers staff.

Are there any kits with a claw like this that aren't too big for a dreadnought (like the defiler)?

hard to see, but kind of looks like an ork power klaw

To clarify: my first psuedo-competent model

Robed body is from the Cairn Wraith which now appears to be discontinued.

He looks good, why the anxiety?

Once again. Motherfucker.

Hey all, just looking for some advice for basing. I'm looking to get some bases for my Night Lords to sort of match Sevatar's scenic base. I'm currently torn between the Necromunda bases (however these don't have 60mm bases for Dreadnoughts or my Daemon Prince) and Sector Mechanicus (though this doesn't have 25mm bases for Cultists).
What would you recommend?

Mix both?

I dunno. Every time I have to try paint methods and schemes for the first time I get mildly nervous, but I really want this to be the army that makes me feel like I did the models justice. I want to surpass tabletop standard.

It's the cloud in particular

You ever been sick? Ya get shiny.

Hey guys,

I'm having issues with edge highlighting, when I try to apply the highlight the paint just doesn't catch on. This is especially annoying when doing detailed areas where I end up applying to much pressure trying to make it catch and end up smudging/clogging details.

Anyone know what I am not doing correctly?

Thin your paint.

XXDDDD

he has a point.
You want to thin your paint enough that if flows easily out of your brush, but don't overload your brush with it so you can control the flow.

If you need to apply any pressure at all your paint doesn't flow willingly enough.

user that looks fantastic, don't overthink

Finally procured some toonies for 15mm cavalry

Suddenly I want to be shiny

I do thin my paints (water), just when I get to the highlighting stage its confusing watching tutorials where their paint applies so easily, then when I try its a completely different result.
I feel like I'm doing something extremely wrong.

Whats your paint/water ratio?

JESUS CHRIST THAT LOOKS GOOD

That's an example image, not user's work, I think...

youtube.com/watch?v=93lrosBEW-Q

Him now that he's dry next to the last dude I finished painting.

Help me rate/hate/contemplate my marine paintscheme. I am trying to get better as I go painting them, hence this model is a bit sloppy.
Also, the captain has a cloak and I haven no clue what color I should do it. Please come with advice!

Please respond

I now want to make a nurgle crab based daemon prince off of this, just switch it to phosphorescent mushrooms, but lord knows I'd have panic attacks trying to get it to a point where I'm satisfied. A plague crab that gives you a shiny, sweaty fever.

This is one of my marines from the 'Easy to Build' Primaris set

edge highlights are way too stark. Take a look at how people highlight black templars or something similar like that.