>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com
>thread q
What's your secret spicy tech you use to blow out certain opponents? I run Deflecting Palm in Boros Burn to punish Death's Shadow and Tron.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/boros-burn-m-1/
scryfall.com/search?as=&order=&q=t:processor
mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/modern
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-g-w-company-40868#paper
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-g-w-taxes-43722#paper
mtggoldfish.com/deck/874848#paper
mtggoldfish.com/deck/615456#paper
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My burn list:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/boros-burn-m-1/

>playing
UB faeries variant/ Blood bridge.dec

>hating
Passing through the five steps of grief each time an opponent dun goofs with pact taxes.

>brewing
Mardu rain of gore / tainted remedy jank, mono U turns

>Spicy tech cards
Pic related, quite efficient against tron under b.moon to wrap up games before all is dust/oblivion stone hits.

>>playing
GB Tron
UB Land control
>>hating
Fetchlands price
>>brewing
Triskaidekaphobia.dec

Replace browbeat with more helix, scrub.

>secret spicy
>Deflecting palm
>In boros burn
Lol

I actually mainboard 1, is that spicy enough?

-2 Deflecting Palm
-3 Browbeat (seriously, that card is trash)
-1 Vexing Devil

+4 Rift Bolt (It's a core Burn card, how do you not have it already?)
+2 Lightning Helix or move 2 Skullcrack to the main deck.

Get Goblin Guides as soon as possible, replace Needle Spires and the remaining devils.

when is scg going live

>Been buying up tech for several builds
>The cost of Zendikar Fetches and Scars Fast Lands

So close and yet so far away.

Zendikar fetches are for people who are want to genuinely compete because it gives the mana a small edge.

If you're just going to Modern events at your LGS don't worry about dropping $400 on fetches and get DTK ones.

This. Khans Fetches are perfectly fine in Shard decks. If you're playing a Wedge you'll definitely need Zendikar Fetches though, but depending on which Wedge you're playing you might be able to get away with the cheaper ones (Marsh Flats and Misty Rainforests). I'm playing Grixis Control at the minute, and I don't have a single Scalding Tarn in the list, Delta and Mire do the job just fine.

You'll likely only need 1, maybe 2 of the Fast Lands so they shouldn't cost you as much. On the plus side these cards are all great investments and you're highly unlikely to lose money on them in the long term.

As with all the Eternal Formats, if you're willing to be patient (i.e. wait 6-12 months) you can spread the cost and pick up all the cards you need eventually. Also consider trading any valuable cards you own but don't use often. I managed to get a bunch of Duals by handing over a stack of Modern playables I'd accrued over the years.

Building towards Mardu Pyromancer, Grixis Delver, Jeskai Control, Naya Burn and Izzet Storm primarily. I'll probably just go for the Tarkir Fetches. I'm also planning on liquidating a bunch of my collection and just scaling back to what I'm using in Modern and Commander.

You could probably get away with playing a Fetchless version of Storm, as that deck doesn't really need Tarn to function, but it does make the deck more reliable with its mana.

For the rest of the decks you could just get:

4x Polluted Delta
4x Bloodstained Mire
4x Marsh Flats
4x Arid Mesa
1x Darkslick Shores
2x Spirebluff Canal

If you've got Shocklands already, then you can potentially fill out the rest of the decks with some cheaper dual lands, like Temples, the Amonkhet cycling lands or the BFZ duals. Once you've got a first version of the deck together you could work towards getting Tarns over the next few months.

The good thing is most of those decks cards can be used in other decks, and most of them have different strengths and weaknesses, so you'll have a good choice of decks depending on what you anticipate a given meta to be.

>todd stevens 2-0 with Eldrazi Proccessors
>on his way to 3-0
how silly

That deck looks fun. I didn't even think about how Delve cards interact with Processors.

Delay is spicy, but I suspect a little too cute. But not sure exactly how many Processors he has in the deck.

I think Delay is efficient enough. It asks you to get a Proccessor down in 3 turns to eat it, that's doable.

If I were to guess:
>4x Ulamog's Nullifier
>3-4x Wasteland Strangler
>and it's confirmed there was 2x Blight Herder in the main and one in the board
Of the grand total of 11 Processors, those really are the only 3 playables, and calling Blight a playable is pushing it.

scryfall.com/search?as=&order=&q=t:processor

Besides relevant mana bases, can you guys recommend me the best general purpose modern cards? Currently I'm eyeing thoughtseize and birds of paradise.

mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/modern

>trash
Why? It's either 5 damage or draw 3 bolts. Just drop it on turn 3 or 4

Why are the big companies in MTG (WotC, SCG, etc.) so fucking on board with being as sensitive as the trannies that pollute the player base?

go away, jeremy

Why are MRAs and alt righters so triggered that women play magic?

I'm triggered at literal men pretending to be women that get offended when they get called out for looking like a man

give it another 3 years or so. it'll work itself out. always does.

show me your mono u turns list
This is mine:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/

Sounds like you are just triggered by people who are different than you.

I'm just upset that they get upset if called out on it. If you're going to take that route in life, there is no reason to be so sensitive to being called what gender you were born as and you look more like.

Like, everyone else can be called basically whatever and have to just absorb it, but transsexuals get a free pass to be as sensitive as possible to it?

Never noticed this list existed on the site. Thanks for bringing that up.

On a curious note, what happened with Street Wraith? It jumped so much shortly after Aether Revolt.

its seeing play in living end and GDS

Giving your opponent a choice is almost always the wrong call, unless it's an effect like Gifts Ungiven or Fact or Fiction where their choice doesn't matter. Games where you need that 5 damage, you get 3 cards and vice versa.

So, you wouldn't care if everyone started calling you baby, because you were a baby when you were born?

Will this bring back RG Tron?

Yes. Im calling it now that it will be mainboardable over pyroclasm.

I wouldn't mind at all. What do random peoples' random comments do to me?

>someone called me a manchild!
>You kind of are a manchild, Bradley

>someone called me ugly!
>don't worry, you aren't ugly, Becky

>someone called me a man!
>WHAT THE FUCK, NOT-MICHAEL? WHO ARE THEY? WE WILL DEFEND YOU!
>Good thing you started that crusade against them, not-michael. We were able to ruin their life because people don't understand the dynamics of transsexuals very well yet!

It goes both ways doesn't it? Why call someone a man when they don't want to be called that, what are you expecting to accomplish? By your own logic, its pointless to do so.

3 mana draw 3 is insane, though. Most often, you'll be drawing 2 gas cards with it and that could be enough to close the game if they don't want to take 5 damage

>Play this turn 3
>Dies to storm
Why would you even play this in Tron?

Browbeat is a pretty obvious new player trap card. Go ahead and play it, and if you don't realize how bad giving your opponent free options is and why Browbeat isn't played in competitive Burn lists, then there's probably no hope for you.

I'm the one running Browbeat. What you fail to realize is that Browbeat really does not offer the opponent a choice. When I play it, they are usually between 1 and 10 life. Browbeat is virtually every time draw three. In the few cases where the opponent chooses to take 5, a 3CMC burn spell for 5 is far above any other 3CMC spell available.

>new player trap card
If you wanted that from this cycle of cards, use book burning.

Are any of the other dredge cards like shambling shell worth using?

top comments:
>one of my worst magic memories was when my opponent in a casual game cast this, shouted "YOU DONT HAVE BOOK BURNING" and grabbed my library to put the top six in my graveyard for me while saying "also u take six". it took about 5 minutes to convince him of how the card actually worked
>I HATE this card. I got into like a week long argument with my friends over it cuz they thought everyone took 6 damage since no one owned it (except the guy playing it). I said, no, it says right here in plain ENGLISH, this card says, unless a player has book burning deal 6 damage, not unless a player has book burning. They got really ***ed when I told them they were placing a comma where there wasn't one and to go back to school. I'm pretty sure a friend tried to fight me over it. We asked like 3 people who agreed with me, everywhere i looked online agreed with me, but they never did. Eventually my friend ripped it up cuz it was too much fighting and i had to give up cards to him since supposedly it was my fault. Worst magic moment ever! People, i can't stress this enough, PLAY WITH PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!
>tfw i used to think it did that too

What a fun deck to make to play against people? I don't wany to win, just piss off alot of people. I'm thinking a fog like deck, maybe turbo fog,

What the most anti-fun deck you can think of?

Mono red prision

Lantern Control
Taking Turns

Are goldfish budget decks actually worth investing in for FNM level play ? I'm thinking about the GB leap deck and the Ponza deck in particular. I don't feel like paying 500+$ to play Modern but the format interests me greatly

UW prison, 8rack and these

Also, any mill deck in general, especially against veteran players

I know a lot of people around here give SaffronOlive shit, but I think he's a decent deck builder and his budget decks are fine enough for FNM play. As long as you're looking for some wacky games and not necessarily going X-0, you're fine.

>but I think he's a decent deck builder and his budget decks are fine enough for FNM play.

And I'm sure your budget brews are just sooooo good, right? Why don't you share one with the class, or are you just going to laugh instead of holding a conversation?

What do you think about the leap deck ? Seems a lot of fun and the uprgaded version doesn't seem too bad either.

Please elaborate

Browbeat was printed in tempest, and entered modern through time Spiral. In that time, it has never seen any high level play, or really any play above kitchen table and retards who think they know better than pros and players with years of experience. Stop arguing about it, it was settled years ago and some people just refuse to accept that.

>Browbeat was printed in tempest
it was printed in judgement you dumbass

Deck looks fun and gimmicky. It's not really my style of deck, but it could be alright. I think adding Eldritch Evolution and tweaking the creatures a bit would make the deck kinda sweet.

I don't make shitbrews because they are not viable.

Should be clear enough, if your meta has t1-2 decks he won't go anywhere, if it has shitbrews then it will do fine.

You really think people don't play those decks because they don't like them or because they are complete shit?

a lesser win ratio than tier decks doesn't mean a 0% win ratio, proof being that he wins against tier decks. People don't play "shitbrews" because they'd rather be at 50% rather than 30, doesn't mean that they are unplayable

That's because he plays shit players, show me a budget deck winning a modern SCG open/PT or any other major event.

Point is, these decks are garbage and the magical christmas land of the winning budget deck doesn't exist, you want to aspire to win your FNM or local event? No budget deck will get you there unless they are all running shitbrews.

You want just to have a pile to play? Then go ahead but don't expect to ever win anything with it.

Not the guy your arguing with, but just to interject Goblins is a genuinely viable budget deck. It doesn't really make marks at SCG events and shit but it can punch through 5-0s online easily.

It's basically the ONLY viable one, but it's worth noting.

Moving the goal post much ? We are talking about FNM play and I just said you can go 30% w/l ratio with them. Of course you won't win any big event with it retard.

It's arguing semantics, because in a serious player eyes "shitbrews" are unplayable. Play ability is defined by how likely deck is to win. Good combos are being used/ran already. Other types of decks in multiple color combinations with minimal differences are being ran too already.

To make it simple: Why run UWx shitbrew when you can run a proper UWx deck that anyone serious would? The answer is not "to win", it's to have fun, get some joy when your 4-5 card combo comes together or when your 7 fucking lock pieces finally get into a single place, in those 1 out of 20 matches. Sometimes it's literally just to annoy other people. All of that is fine, the problems begin when people try to argue that their trash pile of cards they put together to be able to feel special and unique is actually playable.

Reasons why Browbeat is bad:

>It costs 3 and is sorcery speed in burn
>It gives your opponent a choice, any card that does this is automatically bad until proven otherwise through competitive results
>Drawing 3 for 3 mana is actually bad in burn, you are spending your critical turn 3-4 gassing up rather than actually winning the game like you're supposed to.
>3 mana 5 damage only at players at sorcery speed is actually a mediocre card in burn. If that's all the card said, which would make it infinitely better, it still probably wouldn't see play.

Does anyone unironically play Bubble Hulk?

Woodfall primus is a better reanimation target for Footsteps of the Goryo.

this Modern UR Delver deck on Starcity makes me rock hard

Everyone has their cards they think are way more powerful than most others think.

That's Young Pyromancer for me. That card is fucking nuts.

Which one? I've been thinking of getting into UR Delver

I'm not moving any goalpost you retard, the original dude said he intends to play FNM which I assume means he wants to eventually win it.

Haven't played in a while, is modern in a good state right now?

Yes but I haven't touched the deck in a long time. I should really replace the Ideas Unbound with Cathartic Reunion's

check out scg's decklists tomorrow, he was 9-0 iirc

It's been good since GGT banning/Push printing, but everyone has their own opinions on the format.

If you don't like a fluctuating meta then you won't like where it's at. Decks become slightly better and slightly worse by the months. Right now big mana is hot, but a fucking Delver deck just ended as the only 9-0 at an SCG event.

I've been slowly building a Merfolk deck for the past couple of months, I have all of the pieces except for the vials and mutas

Have I been wasting my time?

do you have people to play modern with?

Not him but I could see 1 browbeat could be spicy. No more though.

Keep in mind that Veeky Forums is bad at magic. And warhammer.
And d&d.
And most games played on a table.
And is filled with poorfags.

Do what you wanna do.

Yeah there's a few stores in town that play Modern. I like the archetype but I always see people shitting on it

You will understand y they shit on it the first time you play against jund jesksi or spell based combo

Every time I hear something like this, I get excited and think "Oh, something new to try", and then I remember that I'm not Todd Stevens.

>I'm sure you can act even more retarded than him, right? Go on, show me your maximum retard level, or are you just going to sit around and laugh at retards and the people who think they aren't retarded?!

Don't worry, Merfolk is a solid deck. It has two auto-lose matchups, but stupid shit like mentioned is not it, since Merfolk can transform into a control deck due to having access to all low CC blue counterspells.

It is a powerful deck and can pull bullshit wins with only a small critical mass of lords, a Reejery, and/or a Spreading Seas.

The drawbacks of the deck are that its curve is dogshit with everything being at 2, it's locked into U only if you want the most optimized build, and it can't do shit on the first 2 turns compared to the fast decks.

I play Affinity but I wouldn't mind downgrading to Merfolk, but only because I already owned Aether Vial from like 15 years ago.

What do you guys think about UG Merfolk? Are any of these XLN/RIX merfolk gonna make a splash?

The coco build will integrate some newer merfolk, but it will still be a deck about shitting out lords and giving your dudes islandwalk.

>shilling for the shit fish deck this hard

Is Stax possible in modern? If not, does anyone have a recent Hatebears list?

what flavor hatebears you want senpai

GW but if there's something really amazing that's fine too.

you want more d&t or more maverick?

Maverick, but I'd rather stay out of black.

say no more senpai. this is the new gw hotness

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-g-w-company-40868#paper

if thats too midrangey for you, i also got

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-g-w-taxes-43722#paper

for a more traditional spin

I've been playing that 61 card list (the second one you posted), it's nice but I wanted to try something else. That CoCo one looks fun, and I've never actually used CoCo, so I'll give it a shot.
Thanks!

if merfolks had a mana dork then coco would be good.
from what i’ve read though people are making ug merfolk the more aggressive build and that doesn’t seem like much of an improvement over mono u.

>This doesn't shore up a singular bad matchup so it's unplayable
Stop playing magic. It's not for you.

I want one with wilt leaf liege

the todd stevens list with Azusa is FIRE

mtggoldfish.com/deck/874848#paper

got u

mtggoldfish.com/deck/615456#paper

Which tron bad match up does it shuts down? Maybe scapeshift. Wow 1 match up.

>think to myself "hey if G/W valuetown is a deck why not G/R?"
>it's got the dorks and huntmaster is the definition of value
>early game and top end are covered, lets get some juicy coco targe-
>literally fucking nothing

There are lots of good CoCo targets, like splashing white

I see this list often but how good are it's matchups really?

Seems like it would take too long to win a game

you know lantern control is a popular control deck?