./bgg/ Board Games General - 'Organize Yo Shiz' Edition

Previous thread: --> Map
zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

Pastebin
pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

1. How many of you buy box organizers, how many create your own box organziers, and how many of you just use whatever comes in the box?

2. If you do buy box organizers, who do you buy from? (I'm familiar with 'The BrokenToken' and a few others.)a

3. Do you sleeve / laminate components for your games or just do your best to avoid undue wear-n-tear?

4. Do you have special carry bags for when you're transporting your games?

* The Map - since some ass got in a while back and deleted multiple people's information it has largely languished unused understandably. Is there any desire to setup and 'Gamer Contact Info' pastebin so that the information can't be deleted?

>1. How many of you buy box organizers, how many create your own box organziers, and how many of you just use whatever comes in the box?

I haven't purchased anything from some place that does specialty organizers. I've got some 'generic' plastic trays for classic Hex & Chit war games that I've used with things like Mare Nostrum, or Plano boxes that have worked well with things like Eclipse.

>2. If you do buy box organizers, who do you buy from? (I'm familiar with 'The BrokenToken' and a few others.)

N.A. - at least not yet...

>3. Do you sleeve / laminate components for your games or just do your best to avoid undue wear-n-tear?

As much as possible. My friends in my gaming group try to be considerate and take care of my games, but accidents and wear are still a thing. I'm really glad I bought a laminator as it was money well spent. It's helped avoid an issue with an accidental spill, and just helps the parts last longer. I just wish games used a smaller number of card 'sizes'. It sucks having to buy umpteen different sized sleeves and having some left-overs in sizes that will not fit anything else.

>4. Do you have special carry bags for when you're transporting your games?

Not really, I just use some cloth bags, a large duffle bag / sports gear bag, or a back pack.

>How many of you buy box organizers, how many create your own box organziers, and how many of you just use whatever comes in the box?
I do all three. Bought organizers for TM, Caverna, DoW, Robinson Crusoe and Eldritch Horror from Broken Token and Daedalus Productions
Made an organizer for Arkham Horror +all expansions myself out of foamcore simply because there is no AH+exp organizer on the market at the moment, and I doubt there ever will be.
Some of the games that come with decent organizers I keep as is (Takenoko, Tokaido, Samurai Spirit, Seasons etc)
>Do you sleeve / laminate components for your games or just do your best to avoid undue wear-n-tear?
I laminated investigator, old ones and all the other sheets for AH. But that's only because we used to play the game a lot. Like, every other week. Never did the same with the other games. I don't use card sleeves generally, I simply don't allow fat neets with dorito hands and children anywhere near my games. I also never borrow them, because fuck borrowing games to anywhere where you can't control who and how plays them
>Do you have special carry bags for when you're transporting your games?
No, I rarely transport them, and in those rare cases a cloth bag is usually more than enough

1. I just use what's in the box and occasionally bag up loose components in a small ziploc bag. Purchasable inserts are extravagantly priced so if I really felt the need I would probably just make one.

2. N/A. Everything I've looked at has been a rip off.

3. I'll sleeve and laminate if things seem especially vulnerable but in most cases I'm OK with not doung so. Of the cards I have sleeved they've tended to be high quality stuff I really don't want to see damaged.

4. Nah, I just use a gym bag.

I think a map's a good thing, would like to see it maintained again.

How does Coloretto and Bohnanza hold up as small bar night games?

>How does Coloretto and Bohnanza hold up as small bar night games?
Shit. Play Twilight Imperium instead

I don't visit bars, but Bohnanza is a good game.

Twilight Imperium is a garbage game, he should play Advanced Civilization instead.

>I do all three.

I need to custom build one for the Exodus Event Horizon box - it's a huge box for the base game and both expansions. And there are others I should do as well. As for lending games, I generally don't do that either.

>Purchasable inserts are extravagantly priced so if I really felt the need I would probably just make one.

I know, I've seen some nice ones, but I don't want to spend the price of a game on buying an insert for a game I've got. Perhaps one of these days.

>play Advanced Civilization instead.

Pleb detected! Play 'Mega-Civilization' with 17 of your friends and take over the entire bar! ;)

>dad hosting a board game night with a bunch of normies
>going through all the entry level board games they could get into
>betrayal at house on the hill is great with normies, or maybe a hidden role game, not my thing but good for socializing
>everybody wants to play exploding kittens

>he has 17 friends
NORMIES GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEE

>How does X hold up as small bar night games?

How what and many drinks are you planning on having?

A Scotch or two: Twilight Struggle

A few mixed drinks / wine: Fairy Tale, Castles of Burgundy, Citadels, Code Names, Forbidden Desert

A few beers: Hanabi, Funemployed, Dixit, Forbidden Island

A full case of 'Blats' or 'Iron City': Kittens in a Blender, Talisman, an flavor of Munchkin...

> Mega-Civ
> Normies

Pick one.

I'm going to PAX South. I'll be rubbing elbows with tens of thousands of other board gamers and trying out a bunch of new games.

Pic related - my face when...

>tfw too autistic and prone to panic attacks to go to an unknown place and play games with strangers

I've been thinking of getting Gloomhaven when it retails and I am considering an insert for that. But I'm thinking of what I need to make rather than what I need to buy.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is actually a great game full stop and a literally perfect example of theme, fite me if you disagree.

I'm sorry to hear that user. I can understand that though. Honestly I hope you'll speak with a health professional about that. Life is to damn short to miss out on opportunities because of fear. I've meet a lot of amazing people at PAX East that I've developed long term friendships with just by being willing to try new things. Hope you get a chance to experience that kind of enjoyment too.

>How what and many drinks are you planning on having?

What and how many drinks...

> an flavor of Munchkin...

any flavor of...

> This many typos in one short post...

I'm not saying I started drinking early, and I'm not saying I didn't...

I own and like 1st edition of Betrayal, but mechanically speaking it is NOT a good game. There's way to much random and far to little player agency during the 'pre-haunt' phase of the game, and a hell of a lot of 'random' post-haunt too. It still can be a lot of fun and a hilarious story telling engine. But balance is totally random / non-existent in Betrayal.

I think user's point was the lack of balance only furthers the thematic immersion. What horror movie is balanced?

Hellraiser, if the Cenobites abducted the girl Leviathan would have sent her back, Hell doesn't want her.

I'm going to disagree, from personal experience no less, that '20 minutes of random stuff happens' followed by '3 minutes of everyone unavoidably gets their ass kicked' is really "thematic". Name a popular horror movie where 95% of the movie is random shiz happens and the last 5% is 'stabby stabby happens' and everyone dies. Popular horror movies draw out the terror. If a game of Betrayal plays out as a long drawn out horror movie, then it was purely a random result.

It's imbalanced both ways user. Your horror can end up being a joke instead.

Which is ACTUALLY FINE because it means Betrayal at House on the Hill is in fact a game about the history of horror movies, like how the first one you see is a mystery and has a real impact on you and eventually you get used to the genre and end up going to shit only out of campy attraction and the ability to laugh at how stupid it is. And still, very occasionally, you see one that is a real actual thrill.

I say again: a literally perfect example of theme.

>first 30 minutes
0 decision making, just open doors lmao

>last 15 minutes
you can now make choices, but they are usually "go to specific rooms and roll dice" or "find the rooms the haunt needs you to"

I have played this game SO many times because someone in my group owns it and half the group inexplicably loves it but I dislike it very much.

Played it last weekend and the haunt began on the first round, on the fourth player's turn. His was the 3rd Omen revealed and he rolled a 1 on the haunt check. Dracula and his wife then beat the shit out of us because we had found no items or rooms because the game had just started. "FUN"

>a game should be really shitty sometimes because the thing it's themed on is sometimes really shitty
Am I being "trolled"?

No, I'm sincere. BaHotH is, intentionally or not, an amazing and personal interpretation of its theme. I can't think of many other games that are as adept at it.

Is The Red Dragon Inn any good? And if yes, which version should I start with?

It's been a hit over here. Light enough to fit in as filler, good enough decision-making to really be a game. Start with 1/2 if your group is full of normies who won't want to into specific mechanics, 3 if you want weirder options, or 5 if you expect you'll eventually be making a collection of it.

Kanagawa is a very nice filler, plays in 20 mins or so, has a bit of engine building, set collecting, tableau construction and card drafting; it has some nice decisions to make but luck of the draw can be a factor. It's not too cutthroat, but you can mess with your opponents to a certain extent.
May be too light for some tastes and not confrontational enough (boring) for others. It's very nice for what it is IMO, a relaxing game to play between meatier ones, or to wind down at the end of the night.
You get to pick cards which have two uses, improve your study (more actions, points or requirements for painting) or paint a panorama (they have elements that can be chained for more points), the first player to x cards in their panorama triggers the final round and points are tallied.

Thanks for the quick answer. I think I'll start with the first one to see how my group likes it and then buy 5 if it becomes a hit.

>name a horror movie
All of them, do you even watch horror movies? Teenagers do random/stupid shit, then some monster thing kills or tries to kill them.
See above, it's thematic. If the theme isn't fun to you don't play it. Sorry you've eaten so much soy that you don't know how to say "no" when a more impressive male tells you he wants to play a certain game.
>playing games just because they are fun to certain people must only exist in fiction
Am I being "trolled"?

Been there, my first Gencon was a godawful terror and I was pretty much glued to the friends who invited me down. Took a while but I got comfortable with it, now I run events at the smaller cons I attend; maybe start small with local meetups before jumping into the deep end if it's that bad for you. Chaz did a pretty good video series on it a couple years back, look up Meeples for Sheepish Peoples.

>Sorry you've eaten so much soy that you don't know how to say "no" when a more impressive male tells you he wants to play a certain game.
Ah yes, I'm certain you regularly tell friends you have had from uni that you will refuse to play games with them unless they are ones you have specifically identified as acceptable, no reasonably masculine human has EVER allowed himself to do anything he wouldn't have specifically chosen with his friends before.

I mean you do you, but I don't buy the idea that the game being shit sometimes makes it more fun AT ALL.
Like if it was the same game but every haunt felt tense and exciting and gave both sides meaningful decisions to make, would you actually ever think "Well that was okay, but it doesn't really fit the theme so I'd rather play BaHotH because sometimes it's shit like a real horror film"?
I'll believe you if you say yes, because there is no accounting for taste, but it sounds bizarre to me that being shit can be an acceptable part of a theme.

You'rr talking to two different people btw.

>hey, lets play betrayal
>nah man, i'm really in the mood for a strategy game tonight
>alright cool, how about game x then?
Wow, social interaction is really hard, right?

Betrayal is nice because there's no pressure. Get wasted or just don't really care, it's just there to roll dice with your friends and not have to burn your brain. If I'm playing something like Terra Mystica it's not fun if you're not trying to win because it is an actual game. If I'm looking for a fun activity with my friends but don't want to play something like CAH then why not betrayal? Do you never play games just for fun? I'm sorry if that's the case, maybe try it some time.

>I don't buy the idea that the game being shit sometimes makes it more fun AT ALL
Why do you think people play D20 system rpgs? Sometimes bullshit is fun, especially when the "winning or losing" isn't the main goal of the event.

Daily reminder that objectively bad games are bad, regardless of whether people have fun playing them or not.

Hmmm I think you are conflating me having played betrayal quite a lot since it entered my group in like 2011 (aka 7 years ago) and me being too scared to ever suggest a different game with my friends. It may surprise you that we all suggest and play each others games.

I also never said I haven't had fun WHILST playing betrayal, which I have because, surprisingly I like my friends. I don't attribute that good time to the game itself though.

If I recommended every game I had had fun whilst playing with my group, I would recommend most games - which does not make sense.

>so contrarian I shit talk games I have fun playing
No wonder you cling so hard to uni friends, must be hard making new ones with such a cunt personality. This really explains why your posts have been so irritating. Thanks for affirming my opinion that they should be ignored. Do me a favor and post as a trip really quick so I can filter you?

>It's an "objectivist thinks he's the smartest guy in the room" episode

Bite the bullet, pumpkin, you know I'm right.

>the amount of fun is ALWAYS attributable to the game and not to the people you play with
Made me think for a second there.

>Bite the bullet...PUMPKIN
>laugh track
Geeze, these episodes move so slow...

I bought two clear acryllic divided cases from the container store and they fit all the tokens nearly perfectly. Paid maybe $25 for both. BGG has some printable boxes for monsters and event cards. Plan to do those bit by bit.

>the game is so bad that I had fun playing it
You made some great points, friend. Throw that trip on for me now?

its more of a "reddit echo chamber pays /bgg/ a visit episode from the sound of things

>All of them, do you even watch horror movies? Teenagers do random/stupid shit, then some monster thing kills or tries to kill them.

Yes, plenty. I can NOT think of a single 'good' horror movie where 95% of the movie is:

Teenagers shopping at the mall
Teenagers on the phone
Teenagers at school
Teenagers doing homework
Teenagers bitching about their parents, etc.

Last 5 minutes of the film:

Villain shows up - everyone dies with zero suspense or terror.

And yet the above is exactly how Betrayal can - and unfortunately routinely *DOES* play out.

In a typical 'successful' horror movie, the above 'Teenagers' doing typical shit accounts for the opening 10% of the movie. The remaining 90% of the movie is people running / fighting for their lives. If Betrayal routinely played out this way - it would be damn skippy awesome. It rarely does sadly. And because it routinely plays out in the former mode rather than the latter mode, it is NOT thematic when it ends up with games like this user described > Played it last weekend and the haunt began on the first round, on the fourth player's turn. His was the 3rd Omen revealed and he rolled a 1 on the haunt check. Dracula and his wife then beat the shit out of us because we had found no items or rooms because the game had just started. "FUN"

But that actually does sound like a hilarious bad horror movie and that's kinda my point.

>i now have to qualify my previous statement by saying 'good' which is so subjective that no one can argue against it and i will win this argument on the anonymous thai finger nail clipping forum
Congrats.

All those dumplings and only one nu-male mouth. Disappointed.

I'll Take 'Random and largely useless declarative statements' for $1000 Alex Trebeck! Do I win?

Now this, is autism.

But honestly, can you fit everything back in the box? or do these stay out of it.

You don't win or lose when you choose a fucking category you ignorant cunt.

>wanting to be organized is now autistic
this autism as an insult meme is really out of hand

I haven't tried to organize it without the card boxes. The box closes most of the way as is. The biggest issue are all the irregular map tiles. I'm not sure why everything can't just be rectangular.

Actually user - I also used 'Popular' - which is not only subjective (based on taste) but also quantifiable based on things like box off gross, etc. You're also doing a bad job of trying to evade the point - which is that a board game that plays out as anything but a typical example of a movie of that genre is NOT thematic.

Name any 20 horror movies that were successful at the box office and followed the 95% boring shit / 5% action ratio?

No? How about 10 successful horror movies like that? No? How about 5? No? What a surprise!

TL:DR - Betrayal is NOT thematic when it routinely fails to deliver something even remotely like a serious or even campy 'horror' movie. I'm not saying people who like the game are having bad wrong fun. But arguing that it's a well designed game is malarkey. Its got the potential to be a great game, but it needs some serious rules revisions before that happens.

Sorry Alex... "What are random and largely useless declarative statements?"

Are you less triggered now?
And send my prize money, Bitch!

>the number of people who like things is important to me
bugman back to red.dit please.

>she can't remember the rules to the game
>still has that tumblr snark
"What is a 300 lb white american girl?"

Betrayal has two editions, an expansion, and a re-implementation in addition to being an evergreen game. How does that fit into your argument?

Escape from Colditz is a 1 vs many race game. The german guards have to keep the prisoners from escaping, and the prisoners have to try and sneak around, and collect the items they need to escape. The prisoners can work together, trading items, but there is only one winner.

It tends to be a slow burn, with the guards trying to position themselves early in the round, preparing for the inevitable escape attempt. Or, you can try and be super strict and perform heaps of searches early on, but that may limit your ability to stop the prisoners later.

One thing that may put a lot of Euro gamers off is the fact it is roll and move.

You roll two dice to move. Roll doubles, you can roll again and add it to your move. If your total is less than 5, you get to draw a card (usually gives you a special ability, such as ignore a search, or ignore some guard orders or something by causing a distraction). The cards are really powerful and more than compensate for a lack of movement. Before you can escape, you need to collect an escape kit (you start with one), and any other items you need in your escape (wire cutters, makeshift rope etc). The guard player obviously sees you collecting this, and can deduce where you might attempt to flee.

Once the escape happens though, it is very tense. Die rolls become exciting, and while people may not like the game being decided by good/bad rolls, thematically, it's pretty good. You're guy digs a tunnel under the kitchen, emerges near the fence, the guards start chasing him, trips, you cut the fence and run through but the other guard is coming from the other direction, so you double back and head for the vehicle. You get in with the keys you found and make a wild attempt to drive through the guard post, but a couple of metres through the post, the vehicle tire is shot and you crash in a ditch. All decided by dice rolls, but very exciting narrative.

It still doesn't say jack shit about the problems with the rules. Nor does it tell us anything about whether or not it plays out like a typical horror movie (it doesn't) as the other user suggested. Now that we've solved that issue for you, how about we work on your lack of reading comprehension skills next?

>things people like say a lot about their overall quality
>but not in the case of the one thing we've been talking about

It's more the fact that during the game, you'll hardly use 1/10th of those pieces, but you have to keep them on the table now because you will need a few of them. I just keep them in baggies, pour the bits I need into a few bowls. Done. I won't be using more than 1 or 2 chests, maybe a trap or two, but not going to use pressure plates, grass, dirt, traps, etc. Not enough to warrant taking up all the space.

>i dig them out of baggies and put them in bowls
>this is more reasonable than buying a quality storage solution
Look, there's no issue with how you do it but there's nothing autistic about storing things nicely and the "everyone is autistic" thing is so overdone it just needs to end.

Why is Betrayal so triggering to people? No one in the world has ever claimed that it's a good game, they just think it's fun and some people just can't accept that. Why?

the real question is why do we have to talk about it every other thread

>No one in the world has ever claimed that it's a good game

>Betrayal at House on the Hill is actually a great game full stop and a literally perfect example of theme, fite me if you disagree.

Whelp, this sums up Veeky Forums and lack of reading comprehension nicely.

you'll use more than 1/10. you can just leave it in the box. It's nice to have everything visible and easily grabable instead of 30 bags you have to open and dig through. prettier too. really I just have an organization fetish

>good
>great
Yep, you can't even discern two different words.

>1. How many of you buy box organizers, how many create your own box organziers, and how many of you just use whatever comes in the box?
>2. If you do buy box organizers, who do you buy from? (I'm familiar with 'The BrokenToken' and a few others.)

I add extra ziploc bags to most of my games for separating tokens/miniatures.

The only time I've gone further than that is for condensing expansions down into 1 box.
For 7 Wonders Babel, I removed the terrible plastic insert from the original 7 Wonders box, and made my own "organizer" with a bit of bristol board and masking tape. Also added a deck box for the cards.
I threw Star Realms and its expansions into a cheap deckbox.

>3. Do you sleeve / laminate components for your games or just do your best to avoid undue wear-n-tear?

Never sleeved a game. My friends are pretty "low-impact" even when we've got food and drinks at the table. Never had an issue with spills, tears, bent cards, etc.

If I'm going to some more public event, I'll leave the more expensive/rare/fiddly games at home. But honestly, I'm just not that precious about my games. I won't shed any tears about having to replace some 7 Wonders cards, or even buying a replacement copy of Sushi Go.

I also just don't like the feel of sleeved cards.

>4. Do you have special carry bags for when you're transporting your games?

I just use an IKEA bag. Durable, cheap, folds flat, and big enough to fit Eclipse. I have tons of them lying around.

Anyone care to share some examples of games and where you would place them on pic related?

Arkham Horror LCG, bang in the dark blue my dude.

>enjoyable/thematic
KDM
>thematic/well designed
Stronghold
>enjoyable/well designed
Gaia Project
>all three
Merchants and Marauders

>the game is incomplete in the box
>well designed
lolwut

Oh hey dude that looks pretty nice.

What's the third game from the bottom?

Not exhaustive, just got bored.

Here are my examples...

I like how you did yours!

>Betrayal at House on the Hill
at the edge of enjoyable, into thematic territory, and far FAR from well designed rule sets. It's a technically terrible game but (for my group at least) a kind of fun B-horror-shlock simulator

>KDM
In the center sweet spot, at the top arc (between Enjoyable and Thematic, farther from Well Designed). The showdown is actually mechanically tight, (as much as some autists are likely to sperg about dice existing) but all together it does lean harder towards theme rather than design.

>Splendor
In enjoyable/well designed, pretty far from Thematic (As far as possible from Thematic without being an abstract, really)

>Agricola
For me at least, in "Well designed rules", edging towards Enjoyable but not quite making it there, and moderatley distant from thematic. Call it just a bit left of the center of the "Well designed rules" circle.

>Oregon Trail Card Game
In "Enjoyable", close to but not in "Thematic", and as far from "Well designed rules sets" as you can possibly get. It is a TERRIBLE game (Worse than betrayal's random bullshit generator) but with the right time and the right crowd it's not devoid of fun.

>Cosmic Encounter
Thematic, as far from enjoyable as possible, and not particlarly close to Well Designed either.

>That Thematic/Well Designed but not Enjoyable overlap.
I've pet to meet a damn thing that fits there...

Is Inis a meme or what?

Is it too much of a "gamer's game" since you have to know the cards real well and play multiple games? I want to get it just for the art, but I don't know if it will go over well with my non-gamer roommates or hosted a game night. I fear it'll be too "chess-like" and people will be quiet the whole time.

Thematic: Cosmic Encounter
Enjoyable: 1 Night Ultimate Werewolf, Jenga
Good Rules: Dominion, Power Grid, Netrunner

Theme & Enjoyable: Betrayal
Theme & Rules: Pandemic?
Enjoyable & Rules: 7 Wonders, Catan, Puerto Rico, Bohnanza, Onitama, Junk Art, lots of other Euros/Abstracts

Theme & Enjoyable & Rules: Twilight Struggle, Chinatown

"Enjoyable" is obviously completely subjective. 5 years ago, I would have put Cards Against Humanity in the "Enjoyable" circle. 10 years ago, I would have put Munchkin in there.

I have a hard time thinking of games with good theme and good rules that aren't enjoyable. If it has good rules and good theme, I'll probably keep playing it until I enjoy it. I struggled through the first 2 games of Twilight Struggle, but now it's one of my all-time favorites.

7 Wonders.

I can't hate this post.

I think Inis is lit senpai but you do have to know the cards and play multiple games.

Not one of the criteria though fambalam

1. I do, I designed a 3d printed one for Bang the dice game, I've laso made a few with foamcore.
2. I havent bought a box organizer yet, but it's bound to happen.
3. Sleeve every flippin' card with a few minor exceptions (some mass market party games I dont really give a fuck, telestrations & apples to apples go unsleeved)
4. Nope.

I'm pumped tonight you guys ! Played Pandemic Legacy for the first time (won first two months ! yay !) and Mechs vs Minions for the first time too which is plenty of fun (and also we had a few games of Rhino Hero super battle)

Fuck I'm bursting with energy !

You're not trying hard enough.

> KDM
How are the rules / campaign system for this one? I've never played and don't know anyone that owns it.

>Stronghold
Don't get to play this one anywhere near as often as I'd like sadly.

>Gaia Project
Basically Terra Mystica v1.5 Hopefully they've fixed the balance issues that competitive play found in base T.M. I haven't really been inclined to pull the trigger on this one as I have a ton of space themed games already.

>Merchants and Marauders
I've been tempted to buy this more than once.

> Inis
Hopefully I'll get to try this at PAX South.

>Is Inis too much of a "gamer's game" since you have to know the cards real well and play multiple games?

I can see not wanting to play something like Adv. Squad Leader where you've got chapters A - T with each chapter being 20 - 30 pages long. But the whole 'I cannot into braining while games' thing is kind of depressing honestly.

> Splendor
I've wondered about what themes you could use as 'replacements' with the Splendor rules set.

> Agricola
Agreed. The rules seem solid, but not a lot else about it grabs me. I've seen other games that do the same kinds of things but bring me more enjoyment while playing.

>Cosmic Encounter
I would have said enjoyable (at least with my group) but not really 'thematic' and far from well balanced in terms of rules.

It's /bgg/ dis-function in diagram form. Bravo! :)

> Bad Game, but I wanted to like it.
SeaFail - I pity the poor bastids that backed this on KS.

> Twilight Struggle
I really like this one too. (I can't think of another board game where you are forced to play your opponent's cards during a turn.) The only issue is that the theme can be hard to sell to 'new' players.

Should there be a subset for boring bad shit?

Don't post like this ever again.

>KDM
>How are the rules / campaign

The rules are simple but sometimes vague. People complain that poots sucks at writing comprehensive rules and this is true but since it's all coop anyway you just go with whatever would suck more for the group when ambiguities arise.

The campaign is what makes the game worthwhile. Instead of creating great warriors you are trying to manage a settlement with the limited resources you are given. That's the meat of the game, surviving even though you don't have enough stuff to use to survive. Your people will die and you will have to rebuild and one die roll will save/fuck you but then you try again next session. If that's not for you you'll hate it but if it sounds good you'll love it. Very polarizing, but it's meant to be.

If it doesn't fall into any of the 3 primaries, then by default it would be just plain badly designed, boring, and non-thematic. So no.

Thanks. I like the 'whatever would suck more for the group' mentality. It sounds similar to running a 'Mutant: Year Zero' RPG game. The players are trying to rebuild society. Everyone and everything is potentially lethal, including the air, the water, and the soil. No problem.

If you like that you'll probably like this, lots of rolling on charts that just want to fuck you fast and hard. It feels really really good when you achieve things though, probably because it's so rare.

OK so speaking honestly Inis is probably where like Puerto Rico is here , Not everyone is gonna enjoy it.

But I think it is a very well designed ruleset once you get into the swing of it - like the drafting feels weird at once because isn't it just random? But once you know the cards and start to build up your expectations in a round it becomes much more considered and tactical, and in a two player game in particular gets really intense.

The epic tale cards you look at them and you're sort of "Well what? That doesn't seem that good" and then you get to the exact situation it is good in and you're like "Jesus this is OP as fuck" Guiding yourself with card game ideas like value and tempo will pay off if you're playing Inis because they're very relevant.

I think that it plays into the theme of these bronze age clans living out both cycles of invasions and cycles of years really strongly - in the rules: the repeated circular nature of drafting, turn order, the cards themselves, the 'chieftaincy' of the player acting as the Brenn. But also in the art with these green/yellow action and season cards that are kind of a mundane base and then completely electric epic tale cards that both visually and mechanically break the rules the game has made you come to expect. The recurrent triskele is everywhere. The first person view of the land tiles is also IMO amazing because you are literally seeing the territory from the PoV of your explorer, your dude on the board. This is ancient mythological Ireland and we probably don't have maps.

So like I really, really fucking like Inis. Every game I've played of it has been better than the last. It works at every player count. I'm dying to play the expansion which outright puts the seasons in the game mechnically. But, it probably isn't for everyone I admit.

If I had to criticise Inis I would probably say the bluffing element in both hand distribution and your pretender token sometimes feels weak.

Not the user you were replying to, but thanks for the well written mini-review.