ITT: Magic Items that replace parts

Long story short, my character lost an eye and I am looking for a cool magic item to replace it with in the future. That got me thinking, the only magic items in DnD5e I can think of that replace limbs are the Eye and Hand of Vecna. Any of y'all have some cool ideas for items that take the place of a character's body parts?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymothoa_exigua
realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/halfgolem.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>kill tiny humanoid
>reanimate it and train it to fire crossbow
>put it, crossbow, and as much ammo as you can in bag if holding
>stick a bag of holding with the mouth facing outward in eye socket
>cast illusion to appear as though you still have two eyes
>when needed command eye bitch to shoot crossbow out of the bag for a sneaky surprise

That sounds hilarious

Magic gem in eye socket that has several charges of magic missile. Fires using command word.

Xanathar's Guide to Everything has the Ersatz Eye, a common magic item that you shove in your empty eye socket so you can see through it. Requires attunement, though.

Maybe an eye that has like 30 or 60 ft darkvision.

OP Here. I started off this thread with the anecdote about the eye, and I thank yall for your help, but feel free to talk about other magic items that replace other limbs :) just here to brainstorm

ok then. An elbow that can bend 270 degrees.

A hand replacement that is a magical monkey hand with two malevolent wishes left on it. But they can only be used if the had is attached to a person or a monkey.

A tongue that will let you speak every language - but not comprehend it.

Teeth replacements that are capable of chewing through everything if your jaws can deliver the necessary force.

A magical gem that can be placed in a corpse in place of a heart. It will reanimate the corpse but you will be an undead, and while you might not be of the evil alignment spells like Detect Alignment or Detect Evil will register you as evil.

Dragon heart, to obtain you must form a contract with a true dragon. +2 con, +2 str, +10 to speed. Character gains greed flaw

Flen’s magic candy, swallow these whole to activate and lasts about a minute. Can use breath weapon of a corresponding element, color coded; red is fire, blue is ice, green is poison/acid.

AD&D1e had the HAND OF TYR which was a golden hand that when you attached it to your hand stump would immediately get struck by lightning. If you were worthy it would gain magical charges and be useful until you burned out the charges for its effects, if you weren't worthy it would instantly kill you.
Then to recharge it you got tested for worthiness again with another lightning strike.

Godfreys’ gauntlet-gauntlet possessed by a dead boisterous knight, acts as a prosthetic

Animated peg leg that gives +1 to AC (dodges attacks for you) but hates pirates and will make every effort to hunt them down and will try to convince the user to kill them on sight.

bonus points if the tongue is of the same concept as that louse that eats the tongue out of a fishes mouth and then replaces it, functioning as its new tongue.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymothoa_exigua

Great for a Call of Cthulhu / horror game.

The Head of Vecna

>What are grafts
>Has never been to the Underdark at all
>Regeneration
??????

Stop it, Morte.

The Warlock games had a neat slew of body part replacements for undead units, from gems of true seeing for eyes to spring-loaded axe arms. The builders had iron soles and spinal braces, the archers had a locking mechanism on arms for using high-powered bows, and armor was literally riveted on to melee units.

Steampunk can always have replacement limbs, but try to make them more interesting, like the cyborgs out of Treasure Planet. Oversized, obviously mechanical, and they can slice, dice, stir, chop, and shoot.

As for magical, the sky is the limit. You're not burdened by reality in the slightest, so make it neat.
Just remember, if you have to spend thousands of gold on a limb that has wands for fingers or some shit, any wizard that isn't just grafting a skeleton arm to himself because he's got a boner (heh) for necromancy is going to want it to look amazing.
A golem might be crafted like a work of art; Built in veins of metal, bright marble hands contrasting obsidian knuckles and joints, engraved words of pious faith or runes of magical prowess.
Use that when designing it, a golem-craft work of art, and also it has an immovable rod in the forearm, or an amulet that buffs unarmed damage in the back of the hand.

Xandrith?

What's that?

A PC in my group called Xandrith is in literally the exact same situation, and last session we were talking about items to replace his eye with. Huge coincidence I guess

Bump

A tiny crystal ball?

I came up with a magic item some time ago that was an enchanted gear from Mechanus. It functioned as a mundane item and something of more significant use. As a mundane magic item you could use it to fix any simple machine by placing it inside and it would generate the appropriate machinery for it to function.

And then as a more powerful magic item you could use it to generate a mechanical limb by placing the gear in the stub and expending spell slots over a week or so period. I think it was 7th level spell slots. I haven't ironed out every single detail but that's the gist. I would like to get to use this item in a game but I live in a timeline where I eternally play 1st-3rd level characters.

What, no talk of the "Head of Vecna"?

Why replace the eye when you could get the whole head of vecna?

I read this with a mouthful of bourbon and voided it all over my keyboard. Fuck you, user lol.

A long time ago I journeyed to a well that lies at the roots of a very large tree. There, I traded stories with a wise man. I gave him a little of what I saw and he gave me a little of what he remembered. My eye still lies at the bottom of that well.

Dammit, you beat me to it.

Heward's Mystical Organ? *flees*

>parts of a corpse that grant one magical powers
>having more parts gives one more power
I S T H I S A J O J O R E F E R E N C E ? !

bump

realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/halfgolem.shtml

>Chitinous Heart
The still-beating heart of a, quite dead, wizardess from the astral sea. She learned the ways of the chitinous beings living there and fortified not only her flesh, but her organs in a protective shell. It's said not even the keenest blade could pry apart the plates of her skull, it's a wonder the heart was even pulled from her chest.
>Hungry Heart
A toothy heart that grins as it draws nearer to your chest, it desires your warmth, a place to function once again. You remember it chewing through your skin, ripping muscle and shattering bone, but when you came to there was no harm done. Just bloody clothes and a happily beating heart.
>Volsorroc's Heart
While it is debatable that this heart once belonged to the Lord of the Pit, He Who Dwells in Dreams, it is most certainly full of acid. You can feel it, the caustic bile pumping through your veins, burning away your weakness and leaving only a gratifying sense of power.
>Brass Heart
The merchant said he got this from the City of Brass itself, you didn't believe him, but what choice did you have? Certainly now though you know it's true, the oily organ immediately began pumping its ichor through your veins, the spices of another world. Honestly you're mostly surprised by how natural it feels.
>Planar Core
A strange organ, seemingly some kind of heart, of both organic and planar biology. It whirs and pulses with impeccable regularity, it's geometry belying its purpose.
>Biomechanical Heart
It's clearly a humans heart, and whatever artificial modifications done to it have not been wrought by human hands. The horrific implications of this live heart, yet untouched for possibly thousands of years, hidden away in an ancient laboratory have yet to be fully realized. Within your chest it pumps wicked energy, what will become of your body? Your soul?

>Threadgut
A writhing pile of indistinct masses bound by coiled and ropy tendons. In your hands it shifted uncomfortably and grabbed at you, in your gut it seems all to happy to entangle its neighboring organs, pulling them in sudden, painless motions. You thought you died when that assassin split your belly, but the organs that came spilling out opted instead to latch onto his wrists.
>Gibbering Bladder
A fleshy, fluid filled sack covering in orifices. It tries to speak but chokes and leaks instead. You question why one would ever willing accept such an organ, but beggars can't be choosers. Maybe it could provide some mad insight in its gurgling.
>Optic Gut
A pear-shaped organ with an eye adorning its surface. What strange purpose could an eye serve embedded inside a body? What does it see?
>Seeker's Eye
The cyan eye of some unfortunate humanoid, despite its otherwise mundane appearance, its blue iris moves constantly as if searching for something, independent of its neighboring socket.
>Twitching Cats Eye
The viridian eye of some unearthly feline, large enough to fit a fully grown man's eye socket. It pierces the darkness, granting its host the sight it must've once stalked prey by. Within your head you can feel it move of its own accord, twitching and writhing.
>Distant Eye
The black eye of some cosmic creature, distant to both your realms perception and planar ken, an ominous cross-shaped pupil seems to dilate too some unseen darkness. Within your skull it thrums with unnatural insight as it purposefully absorbs both information and light of the very space before it.
>Cyclopic Brain
A weak-willed brain with a single eye set into its center, it whispers in your skull, awful things of which you never wanted to be reminded of. Memories you abandoned and regrets you ignored. It won't forget your past nor present, and certainly won't let you forget.

My AD&D DM loves this stuff, here's one we found in our recent campaign.
>The Grifter's Tooth
A minor thief we had to catch melted down a lucky coin into a tooth, to better conceal it. No matter what happens, it always seemed to protect the user from certain death, or in the thief's case, getting caught by the party.

>Killer's Hand
A failed hand of glory, a beacon of dark energies and kindred spirits, each with their own knowledge to murder a man in hundreds of ways. Your hand is not theirs, but never forget that the dead do not rest, you must be ever wary of those around, lest your blade be drawn upon those you sought to protect.
>Crystal Skull
A beautiful and opalescent skull, of which you are still unsure of how it became invested inside your head, that seems to thrum as danger draws near. It seems that when subjected to concussive blows and head injuries the skull teleports away, host in tow, to a safe place recently traveled.
>Alchemical Treatment
The yet unnamed magnum opus of some long forgotten alchemist, consisting of some unidentified sanguine liquid contained within a strange device, consisting of a glass cylinder, plunger, and a metal fang, capable of injecting the fluid directly into the blood. Over the course of a scant few hours, the concoction will have totally replaced the blood in your body and strengthened your overall immune system.
>Artificial Treatment
A truly enigmatic invention, credited to no known artificer, it consists of a silvery liquid that shifts under close inspection contained in a similar device as the Alchemical Treatment. By some unknown function the liquid propagates itself within the body, replacing the users blood and strengthening their bones, flesh and muscles while also repairing wounds.
>Ichor of Undeath
A vial of an archlich's blood, strained from the last moments of its beating heart. By drinking the vile ichor their blood will thicken and become a crueler poison than any, venomous even to other toxins.
>Tell-Tale Heart
It should have died, beneath those floorboards, yet still it continued to beat unbound by neither wood nor misery. He pried open the shallow grave and stole that precious organ from its rotting cage. You died, following the dream you awoke, to the unbound sounds of your tell-tale heart.

>Hungry Heart
>Threadgut
>Distant Eye
I shouldn't want this

>Faded Heart
A ghostly, faded heart, it is all that remains of some long forgotten tragedy.
>Cursed Eye
At first you were curious of the man's strange eye, its cloudy cataract that seemed to swirl ominously, but when he succumbed to his wounds that eye found its way to your skull painlessly. Without hindering your sight the eye promised great power, at the cost of wounds made more lethal.
>Evil Eye
A black eye with a red slit, it was kept in an onyx snuffbox and without any explanation you knew its purpose. Perhaps you were a bit too happy to lose an eye in an accident, that subtle dread you felt first looking at the eye has become an overwhelming fear to those who face it, offered two options; to capitulate or to erase the fear.
>Eldritch Visage
You found a weightless box, consumed with curiosity you opened it. Within that box was another like a feather. You forgot how many boxes you opened, by the end you surely couldn't have carried it any further, struggling to even lift open its lid. Within it, however, there was nothing, and nothing become your eyes; infinitely hollow sockets to perceive absolutely.
>Mad King's Eye
A painting of a distant demon king, all in his presence are asked a question of significance, none do not know the answer, though few would dare reveal such secrets. To respond with honesty grants the speaker an eye to see both now and later, seconds overlapping to defy fate.
>Aberrant Lung
A parasitic organ, resembling a grotesque and monstrous lung. Should it crawl down your throat and consume your lungs and stomach, an abundance of acid will begin flowing up and all things ingested will find no purchase to harm you.
>Artificer's Skin
An extremely lightweight endoskeleton, created from an alloy of aluminium and adamantine, that perfectly encompassed the body and melds onto the fragile and soft tissues of humanoids. In time this new skin will outlive the old, and man becomes their shell.

>Threadgut
Reminder that Kakuzu is the coolest Naruto character, no exceptions.

>Marksman's Eye
A thaumaturgical eye that must remain shut lest it harm the body and fatigue the mind. When opened, however, the eye within less than one moment they will perceive and subsequently perform a series of perfect shots as limited by ammunition.
>Stone of Life
A pulsating red stone, roughly analogous to a heart, that can be interred into a, usually, dead body in place of a heart. The benefactor of this heart is returned to life and is granted one hundred such resurrections. The only downside is the total lack of vitality, often resulting in multiple deaths, one after another in quick succession. Have no illusions about painlessness either.
>Fungal Organ
A strange plant-like thing, that upon ingestion replaces some organ, probably of negligible value, with a spore producing sac. Shortly after assimilating this new organ the host becomes a carrier of toxic spores, of which they can consciously spew forth.
>Magic Prosthetic
A series of thaumaturgic prosthetics that are worn in place of a missing limb, though there are many who willingly give up their natural body parts for these replacements:
Common prosthetics merely mimic the natural functions of the original limb perfectly while also being more durable;
Advanced prosthetics not only mimic natural functions perfectly, but are also capable of transforming into weaponry;
Elemental prosthetics act like common prosthetics, while also being elementally charged. They are often capable of producing minor to moderate offensive powers;
Focus prosthetics act like common prosthetics, while also functioning as arcane foci.
>Parasitic Gauntlet
A singular, beautifully articulated gauntlet of otherwise little merit. Besides that the fingers seem unnaturally pointed and faint noises can be heard when the gauntlet is not being observed. Should someone be unlucky, or lucky, enough to don the gauntlet in curiosity, they will find that the gauntlet has wholly bonded to flesh, subsuming its senses.

>Production Macrocell
A giant whiteblood cell looking object found in an old alchemist lab. (Size of football).

Allows one to take alchemist feats like tumor familiar.
Also once a day it can create, from bone, and a minor health debuff, a minor object the adventurer might need.

like: picklock, whistle, knife

>Clockwork Heart
A whirring heart of grinding brass gears, that when inserted into the body of a slain creature brings them back to life. Shortly following resurrection their wounds begin binding with brass pieces and gears spread beneath the skin, even further wounds propagate this brass plague until not even blood remains.
>Bloody Chain
A cursed suit of chains, their inward facing teeth hidden until its too late.The fangs drag and pull at the flesh, slowly consuming its only competitor. In battle, or otherwise, lifeblood spilled over the armor seeps into the rust tinged metal to reinvigorate the wearer.

And I've ran out of applicable items.

These are pretty cool. Hope you don't mind me saving and using them as possible references in the future.

What about something like his eye?
Maybe nerf it some extent though as it would make a close combat fighter really hard to beat

Go ahead, most of these items were inspired by existing things. Besides, I fully intend to post all of my magical items one day.

Yeah ok all father

>Eldritch Visage
10/10

bump

That would be interesting, though I don't know how it could be done.

There are the other lesser artifacts of Vecna. Thumb, foot, patch of skin, tongue, etc. Yes seriously.

There's the teeth of Dahlver-Nar, which you are in for a bad time regardless of which edition you use.

There's that Demon/Dragon heart you can replace your heart with.

>Rules lawyer gets huffy about it
>Tries to argue against it because he hasn't done anything this cool in at least three sessions
>Tell him he just has to accept it
>The DM approved it
>And that means he has to accept your head cannon

Bag of holding could not physically fit inside the eye socket of a human, though a non-standered bag plus different race probably could. Regardless, would allow to promote creativity amongst the party.

Heaths’ wig- a powdery wig you can use to magically disguise yourself with, or just hide your balding head

Correct answer. So how do we make it work?

A small permanent portal the size of a ring would work. Other end of portal can be anywhere. Might have planar restrictions.

Or planar portal to elemental plane of fire or whatever; anitmagic eyepatch to close. Cyclops eye/visor.

Your wizard's arcane focus (5e) could be a crystal ball wedged in the socket. Hands free casting.

Head of Vecna, anyone?

>How to make it work?
The issue with other portal types is that the exit/entrance are similar in size. If we used a ring portal, the zombie (or whoever) will have to make a skill/called shot to actually hit anything on the other side. Having someone just make a custom non-standard bag of holding is literally the best way to go, since the (cross)bowman is shooting out of a larger exit.

AD&D had a silver arm that could replace your arm for loads of powers.

Drow Prosthetics are so badass they might as well be magic items, mostly because they're the kind of shit that seem more like cyberware than D&D magic.

>Eye and Hand of Vecna
This really reminds me of the Hand of Kwll and the Eye of Rhynn from the Corum saga.

Magic item enchanted with limited precognition. That's it. That's all the Ultimate Eye gives to Bradley. He's able to see the best possible outcome of the current battle, but it's entirely limited by what he can physically see- come at him from an angle he can't see and you've got a clear shot at him that he can't intercept.

What really made Bradley dangerous was his decades of training, his speed and agility, and his weapons proficiency. Even after the Eye had been shot out he was still able to kick the asses of everyone he came across.

Would that actually work? Can I make a character full of bags of holding with skellie warriors in them? I actually really want to do that now.

Oh fuck you

still best homunculi

Mechanical hand animated by a bound telekinesis spell, alternatively a grafted skeleton hand but necromancy is not very well received in most settings.

Drow proshetics? In what setting? I just finished the dark elf trilogy today and there are several passages about the drow not having prosthetics because they'd just kill anyone crippled in anyway. It's a pretty important plot point.

same

It doesn't exactly replace an eye, but they could. The players recently fought for and subsequently lost these guys:

>Ted's Three Black Eyes
Three eye-sized orbs Ted swore were obsidian. A deep orange, solar eclipse looking ring exists on all three. The can be placed against the face where they'll become an extra, perfectly functional eye. If all three are in a person's head, they perceive the next sixty seconds all at once. Ted's Black Eyes do not come with eye lids so they can't be closed without further magic, and they can't be removed easily. Sleeping is hard, as is adjusting to perceiving a whole, ever changing minute all at once.
I'm simultaneously delighted and sad they gave these things up. I can't imagine creating consistent rules to make them PC usable. Definitely a fuck up on my part.