Hey Veeky Forums

'Member?

I 'member.

Also post about WizKidz

Other urls found in this thread:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/68447/complete-rule-set-version-13
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Holy shit, what's the name of that game, I 'memba playing it as a kid, but I forget the name

Pirates of the Spanish Main. Alternatively, Pirates of the Crimson Coast.

I had so many, including a bunch of limited and promo ships. Lost them all in a move. Played it at work all the time, and we've even given thought of making little wooden boats to play a simple version at historic events.

Holy shit, Pirates of the Barbary Coast! I remember this!
Where i'm from, they came in these cardboard boxes half as large as their actual card boxes, and each had three chocolate coins inside. I used to collect the series, and heard of the Spanish Main series later - alas, it never reached my homeland.

I still have my collection. And let me tell you, it's a bitch to store all the island cards the packs had in them.

And Pirates of the Revolution, and Pirates of the Caribbean

Did anyone have any of the sea monsters? I never got any even though I wanted them most as a kid.

I had a sea serpent, the Disney PotC Kraken, a couple of schools of sharks, and the megalodon.

Fuck I remember playing this with my grandpa

Dang, man. The kraken is kinda' "eh" but still.

Why doesn't someone relaunch this on Kickstarter.

IIR, it was on a 6" tall card, and was big enough for whole ships to be put in the black part.

>we've even given thought of making little wooden boats to play a simple version at historic events
That sounds cool as fuck. If you ever do that, bring us pictures and the rule set so we can duplicate it.

This is actually something we've been discussing recent, and the dollar store had two styles of wooden boat kits.

I will keep you apprised!

WotC has exclusive rights to cardstock, i've heard. Making more cardstock battleships would be, if not illegal, then somehow under WotC's umbrella.

Ok, I've been cooped up for three days due to the snow, and this thread put some gun powder under my ass. Allow me to present my concept (rough and rushed as it is.

The rules are unchanged from the package. (Cont)

They're made of plastic, like credit cards with snap-off parts.

For simplicity's sake, we'll start with only two types of ship: sloops (fast/fragile) and brigs (tough/slow). Opposing sides are matched.

I made a very rough scale correct model in about 15 minutes. Pardon the roughness, but it's just for proof of concept.

Islands are replaced with period playing cards, randomly draw and place face down. Only ace through 5 for each suit to keep numbers manageable

Because the numbers on the cards are now dictating value, any counter can be used for booty. I have period currency suitable for such, as well as wooden dice for play.

Finally, for anyone's feeling froggy enough, I am sure we could work out some sea monster rules.

Sorry to spam.

This is awesome, but do you just have that stuff lying around your place or what?

You are my hero

Very cool shit, Gropey. Thanks for sharing, it's neat. You need some little handmade minis for sea monsters though..

>do you just have that stuff lying around your place or what?
You mean you don't?

Time to make you're own fleet!

Yeah, I just had that piece laying around and added it as an after thought. I'm going to make a proper ship tommorow, and might dig out some shark teeth for a monster mini.

I could see making a little Kraken with a bit of carved wood for the body and some wire and fluff for the tentacles. Don't know what your materials options are for period-appropriate minis.

Now I 'member!

Leather, Ivory (or faux-ivory enamel), wood, horn, metals... In theory, everything could be painted lead or pewter, I just want cheap and rustic.

According to my research...
>an overview of the original game rules w/ expansions
boardgamegeek.com/thread/68447/complete-rule-set-version-13

Hrmm. Maybe make little leather braids around wires for kraken tentacles? Could make a little shark out of wood that uses a shark tooth as the dorsal fin for flavor. Could paint a card like a whirlpool for a Charybdis-type monster

Jesus, these bring back memories. I never played the actual game but I thought the boats were neat as fuck, and I wound up using them in my very first tabletop rpg campaign.

Goddamn! Quality content as usual clownfag.

We're using some of those in our Pathfinder Skulls & Shackles campaign

The newspaper pirate hat is a nice touch.

Did you really make a little ship and assemble all this just for the thread?

OC on /tg? What?

>WizKidz
I remember WizKids.
Mage Knight was the game that first got me into miniatures. I still have a couple of them, I use them as decorations.

I member them, I had about 8 different ships. I used to play with my older brother along with our homebrew revolutionary war miniature game (that's another story tho) I remember making some stuff out of cardboard for the game, like forts and some dangers for the boats like maelstroms and stuff like that, was a fun time.

Muh nigga....

>WotC has exclusive rights to cardstock, i've heard. Making more cardstock battleships would be, if not illegal, then somehow under WotC's umbrella.

At one point I was part of a really large Pirates CSG group on a website called miniaturetrading. A lot of the ideas we had came with using stickers on unused models, so that you would basically have a new "ship" or a new "crew".

The project had all of the ships and crew and unique treasure created, but nothing more.

This is awesome stuff, man!

>The newspaper pirate hat is a requirement to play.

Fixed it for you.

Its just a quick piece of scrap. Im working of a better one now.

OH SHIT. This was the beginning of the end for me. I started on Mage Knight before I got into WHFB with my dad and later 40k. I still have one of my MK: Dungeons figures somewhere.

Same here.
I still like the idea of the clicky-base. Not so much the randomized collectable aspect. Still have about a hundred models.