Warhammer 40k General /40kg/

Year of the Bling Marines edition

Current Discussion: Why has the price of gold spray paint went up?

>Warhammer Community
warhammer-community.com/2018/01/06/new-year-new-armies-reveals-new-years-open-day/

>Daily Painting Video
youtube.com/watch?v=QnEanO1QT4o

>FAQs, Errata, and Designer Commentary
warhammer-community.com/faqs/

>Rules and Such
mega.nz/#F!bF0ExS4D!_XaMECn0K9HiJKUFSopJLA

>Other Megas
mega.nz/#F!gaBiVTKI!HTOuNx5zzNxHqT-ny-AU3A
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>Old Black Library Mega
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

>Math-hammer 40k
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10t6_FO9mTaG8FHY4B7v6hOQgwc3gXxUiIOrMYt16I6M/edit

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14781985
imgur.com/a/5ymAD#qSsCXcu
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Oooooh, we’re having one of “those” generals

Tips on getting this bluish tint on black armour like in the pic?

How would you go about it for the Meganobz minis?

New thread. Doing any hobby stuff today anons? Working on any projects?

Chart user 2 here, Space Marines (generic) are almost done, only need to smooth out the loadouts for the point efficiency charts (goddamn marines have a lot of options). Chapter-specific (non BA/DA/SW) marine units are next.

Does anyone know how tall Heralds of Khorne are? I was thinking of buying the one from the Bloodthrone Kit and using it as a foot herald just want to make sure they are the same size.

Drakenhoff Nightshade wash. Use Dark Reaper rather than Eshin Grey for Highlights.

>Can summon Mortarion and Magnus, then Warp Time them thanks to Daemons codex. Be'lakor is incidentally quite good at that since he can give you a daemons detachment and he still has the dark hereticus powers, so he can warp time them himself

So that's one of the main weaknesses of those primarchs gone, you can no longer just destroy them on turn 1 with your shooting.

The only counter is to castle up so tight that you have ranks upon ranks of DS and large base blocking screening units.

But then, at that point you lose the map and the game. Mission accomplished.

Truly we are entering the age of Chaos!

Added a few coats on my Carcharodons. Not much but every step counts when you normally paint 5 models a year or so.

Nth for chinacast is only for cancerous faggots and autists that are killing this hobby.

Threadly reminder that if you buy the new custodes you are what is wrong with the hobby. No matter how much you like them you have to buy a xeno army even if you dont like them.

Woops.

So did I miss a memo or something? What in the throne is this Warp time business?

ANOOOOOOOON

I've been playing against deepstriking morty for months because my opponents assumed he can do that and I didn't think he couldnt. He also would deepstrike deathshroud termies by him to soak up wounds.

>Nth for chinacast is only for cancerous faggots and autists that are killing this hobby.

Warhammer is only for cancerous faggots and autists that are killing this hobby.

But another, you don't even paint or play. You just shitpost.

>posts unfunny low-effort loss meme
>calls others cancerous autists

Warp time is a power that CSM (And Be'lakor) get. It allows a unit to move again, so if something is deep struck 9" away, it moves again and suddenly it is reliably in. Particularly with Magnus and Mortarion who move 12/16" and have the fly keyword.

Its an AoBR dread, it has a ton of really significant moldlines on it

Bloat drones kill your scouts then Mortarion deep strikes turn 2 to wreck your Guilliman gunline GG

Or dispel the Warp time (Bring Greyfax). Or punk it with the power of the Emperor via SoB or BTs (or Kronos for that matter). Or bring Inflitrators/Scout move units so charging anything but them still takes a risky charge roll even with the Warp time.

Huh. So Be'lakor actually has a use beyond being the butt of jokes and the Warp's resident 'Stoning practice dummy'.

Thanks for the info user!

True, that's why Fantasy was killed to make a superior game and stop stifling 40k.

Warptime has a 3" range

Usually it's cast by a fellow deep striker. Like a Termie Sorc.

Means its in deny range most of the time.

True

I think Be'lakor lost 3 of the Hereticus powers. He can only choose Infernal Gaze, Death Hex or Gift of Chaos

>n-no! you j-just s-shitpost!
>s-stop oppressing me!
Fucking faggots literally ruining the hobby.

Reposting for the shills

Even if that ends up being the case you can take a small CSM detachment to get access to it.

Am I stupid or do the Daemon strats seems utterly pointless when it comes to the neutral ones in MP?

>Demonic Incursion: For 2CP, use this Stratagem when one of your Daemon units is destroyed by a Grey Knights unit, the destroyed unit is returned to your army at full strength and set up anywhere on the battlefield during your next Movement phase and is at least 9 away from enemy models. This does not cost you any reinforcement points during a Matched Play game.

Why bother wasting space on a so situational senario as this? This strat would be godly if it weren't GK tailored, also since when are daemons at their strongest when faced with GK?

>Soul Sacrifice: For 2CP, use this Stratagem before a Chaos character from your army attempts to summon a unit of daemons to the field using Demonic Ritual. That character suffers D3 mortal wounds but can roll 4 dice rather than 3 for summoning. In addition, re-roll hit rolls of 1 for the summoned unit while it is within 6 of the character that performed the ritual.

>Demonic Pact: For 1CP, use this Stratagem after a Chaos character summons a unit of daemons to the field. That character can immediately attempt to summon a 2nd unit of daemons.

Since we are paying reinforcement points here, I have yet to see a single case of a Chaos player actully using summoning, and not just putting stuff down on the table from the get go.

I realize the book is not out yet but this stuff seems silly.

>if you dont think the epic loss meme is funny you are ruining the wargaming hobby
What?

Yea, Chinacasts are killing the hobby!
Just like video recorders killed television!
And pirates killed the music industry!
And the video game industry!

All these things definitely happened. Definitely.

>GW literally makes a "FUCK YOU" stratagem against GKs
Man, I guess they really do want to replace my silver bois with cusstoads.

Doesn't change the fact that I'm not throwing a tantrum here. You definitely are though. And I'm positive you don't play or paint.

But that's okay user. I still love you.

>reposts a meme i made
>about buying 3 leviathans for the price of one from chinacasters
LMAO

There are some strats that are just in there for flavor. "The Lion and the Wolf" in Dark Angels for example.

Ehh. GK have plenty of "fuck you" vs. Daemons.

re: Daemonic incursion

I think it's the other way around - the GK are there because the daemons are at their strongest

To be fair, the hobby is a lot more niche, and for all we know, FX sells very few of those massive, expensive resin bricks. Hence in their case, every sale counts and so a Chinaman selling, say a Warhound, for a fraction of the price is definitely bad for businessi I decide one day to get a massive model, I think this time I'll put in the price, just to make sure I can ask for a proper model if shit happens.

>posting a cuck while saying chaos is good
>not posting the primarchs who should be thanked instead

so clean them off

So anons,

I'm building a list with some Primaris as I think its probably more effective then the stuff I've been running.

Idea is basically Intercessor spam and moving up the board to just rely on volume of shots, rerolls, and extra wounds to be dangerous while the banners let me get some extra wounds in with the dying marines.

List is as follows:

Battalion:
HQ:
Primaris Lieutenant w/ MC Autobolt rifle
Primaris Lieutenant w/ MC autobolt rifle

Troops:
10 Intercessors with Bolt Rifles, Grenade Launcher on Sarge

Elites:
Primaris Ancient with Bolt Rifle and Pistol
Primaris Ancient with Bolt Rifle and Pistol

Spearhead Detachment:
Primaris Librarian
Primaris Captain w/ Stalker Bolt Rifle and Bolt Pistol

Heavy Support:
Hellblaster Squad: 7x Hellblasters
Hellblaster Squad 7x Hellblasters
Hellblaster Squad 10x Hellblasters

Hellblasters are pretty much the AT and Hard hitting hammer while everything else either is there to eat charges, hold objectives, and whittle other things down.

Chapter-wise, I'm Torn.
Dark Angels give me a good Plasma tactic and better Morale defense, along with rerolls of 1 when I stand still, along with a few debuffing powers on the Libby.

Vanilla Marines give me the Banner of the Emperor ascendant for slightly more reliable death shots on around one half/quarter of the formation while the Raven Guard chapter tactic gives me some better defense by being harder to hit outside 12".

I know that melee ability is very low on the list considering that I've no power weapons but I've pretty much figured that Melee is a lost cause for Primaris Marines.

Is Talons of the Emperor box a safe purchase for a newcomer that wants to play GK+? I mean - custodian guard will be a basic unit for sure and having a dreadnought and land rider won't hurt, right? I see no rumours about new starter box for Custodes so it's the only boxed deal for them tho.
Or maybe it's a trap for newbies and I will not use 75% of this box anyway?

I see your point but if you wanted to show that the GK were actully good at banishing, surely the strat should ready "unless destoyed by a Grey knight unit" you could bring a unit back.

To be fair many codexes have a "Fuck you vs x" strategem. IG got one against Chaos, Chaos got one against imperium. So I guess it makes sense for Deamons to get one against Knights and Knights against deamons.

You need Scouts.

Then they should abide by the free market and provide their product for market value instead of trying to capitalize on an imaginary monopoly.

The amount of money wasted in unnecessary advertising outweighs the design costs so please dont try to use that excuse this time Abraham. They need to run their business efficiently and not try to scam people

I can combat squad some of the primaris into smaller squads to be further up and eat charges if need be.

Another option if I go vanilla is I grab Ravenguard and use a Strategem to deploy one squad further up to eat the T1 Charge/Deep Strike Denial

The biggest problem with summoning that i find is that you have to waste a turn just to summon a singular unit. So i personally think that one CP for being able to summon a second unit a turn is really good.

Scouts are one of the best units in the Marine book friend. The ability to deploy out of the deployment zone is huge.

I think its more meant to balance the bonuses GKs get againts demons (3 dmg smites, reroll wounds in CC, character rules, etc...), but desu demons didnt really struggle against GKs before the dex anyway...

Nah. At least, not right now

They are but the big issue is that I'm trying to do a Primaris only Gimmick list.

I also hate the scout models like no other.
I barely tolerated them in days past when I did a BT list and even now I just get sick thinking of doing more of them.

No. You need scouts for the infiltration deployment so you can push back deep strikers whether you go first or second. Especially important in a Shooting list like yours. They're really, really good and you're crazy to forego them.

Seriously, why do you cunts never put a link to previous thread in your OP???

True, but I'm not worried on the whole. Forgeworld will have the advantages that all aforementioned industries had over the pirates: Accessibility, accountability, and convenience.

People have to ask around for a pirate, and figure out which ones are legit. Forgeworld is always a google search away AND will replace bad molds on request. A shit Pirate can take your money and run, and can be a bitch to contact.

Of course both the Music and Video game industries have screwed those advantages up trying to counter Piracy, and in the process made piracy Ironically more desirable. Seems like every entertainment industry has to screw us once before realizing they had home court advantage all along.

Working out what colours I'm going to need for this guy, along with batch painting my primaris that've been grey since release

I'm liking 8th but, if there's one thing I miss, its the ability to keep regular units in reserve and have them walk on the board.

It would let me keep some hard hitting, but slow, units in the back to deal with any melee near my zone with out them having to weather shooting.

Primaris are created from Scouts. Primaris only chapters have Scouts.

VOTE:

strawpoll.me/14781985
strawpoll.me/14781985
strawpoll.me/14781985

It's irrelevant

I think the new custodes stuff looks really nice but I also think it's a massive dick move on GW's part to release a new army like this before all the existing armies have a propper codex.
I'm aware that there were already custodes but to go from no HQ unit, one basic squad of guys and a couple of borrowed tanks is a bit of a jump

I miss flamers being able to hit on deepstrike

Eh.
Well, In theory I could fit 3 5 man sniper scout squads in if I drop an intercessor squad and one hellblaster.

This lets me add 3 plasma pistols in as well.

>Sniper Rifles

No - take a scout squad with maybe a ML or HB. Sniper rifles are worthless

even if FW overuse their molds and you get some bad quality shit like that they're really good about replacing stuff, just email them

no its not. Its important for continuity

That's one thing I'm a bit miffed at.
As they are, I don't think flamers are good enough to justify the 8 inch range.

I play a themed mono god list so forgive me if this is obvious somehow to mixed god lists.

Why would I ever summon something that could potentinally soak shots, or be a board thread turn one, and waste another unit as you say, to pick a new one, risking MWs and spending CP.

The only way summoning is in any way useful in MP as far as I can see, is to counterpick units to fill army gaps. which is nice ofcorse, but if you play a themed list as mentioned before, it isn't really an option.

These toys all seem cool outside of Match Play, but inside it, most of the strats seems a tad lackluster.

>Sniper
Wrong type. Paying for the Rifles is a waste when they need to play up to do their job.

Sounds like you don't like them much. Just keep them in mind if you find yourself being brutalized by alternative deployment in game.

>All those intercessors
You will be very hard to displace and more importantly no one unit stands out so much that the enemy will nuke it turn 1. I think its a good list. Squads of 5-7-7-5 Hellblaster will be plenty of firepower.

A tip:
Be careful overcharging the Hellblasters. rerolling ones does not make you invulnerable. On the contrary, it's 24 hellblasters and a 1/36 chance of overheat. That's a removed model 24/36 or 2/3s of all shooting phases before you rapid fire.

user already said to do edging with dark reaper, and you should also hit the sharpest corners with fenrisian grey.

>continuity
Not really no. /40kg/ gets multiple new threads daily, frequently enough that it's irrelevant. Plus people usually make the new threads while the old ones arent yet archived.

I also play Mono-God list (Khorne) There is no real purpose to summoning since we now have a DS strat. But originally it was useful for deep striking your daemons. So pretty much had we not recieved the DS strat this would be a godly strat but as of now its just a pretty good strat for the occasional time you will want to summon something.

>strawpoll.me/14781985
>Dark Mechanicus
>no Renegades and Heretics

A single scout squad?
I would figure that two or three would be preferred.

And between the two I'd take a heavy bolter as, even with the rifles swapped out, they get more expensive than if they had snipers with one added.

The cost lets me get back a hellblaster though

I really don't like building/painting the models is the issue.
The save doesn't matter as I always drop them in cover but its

But really, Alternating deployment will screw me regardless if I don't go first/ hug back.

Pretty much.
My thought process is that the inctercessors themselves are 80 wounds that need to be removed from the board and their guns, while still -1 ap bolters, have some extra range and numbers that, with enough rerolls, can help me whittle harder stuff down when not focusing on troops.

But yes, hellblasters would pretty much have me saving the overcharging for if I have to melt a vehicle or MC in an instant.

Plus side, if they die, I can overcharge without worry in their death shooting.

For real though? What is the source on that and I ask that not to be an asshole but because I legitimately and desperately want to know more primaris lore.

anyone know what color these eldar are imgur.com/a/5ymAD#qSsCXcu

Order the codexes should have been released in:

Space Marines/Chaos Marines (Fuck you they're the core of 40k and you know it)

Craftworld Eldar/Orks/Imperial Guard

non codex marines, Grey Knights and God aligned chaos marines here

Tau/Dark Eldar/Necrons/Daemons here

Admech

Sisters

Deathwatch

All your other shitty minor factions here

=====

And I play DE and DW before any of you accuse me of fanboyism

Teal purple and white

They're marine chapters and I believe they still go through the process of field training scouts, although they may prescribe to the Space Wolf doctrine of 'Grow them up, stick them in armor first' method of training.

>But really, Alternating deployment will screw me regardless if I don't go first/ hug back.

No. You see, that's exactly what scouts help with. Since they setup beyond your deployment but before the first turn they can be used to push enemy deep strikers way back from your lines even if you go second.

It does but, like the big baby I am, that forces me to make more scouts.

AND newer scouts as I've only got five sniper ones currently painted/built.
Raven Guard lets me deploy One large squad of intercessors up but that forces me into Vanilla which prevents me from doing Weapons of the Dark Age on a hellblaster squad.

Primaris are created the same as normal Marines but have an extra round of organs late in the process.

I heard dkok were on special!

I've been wanting to build a Custodes army since the first plastic models were released so I am actually hyped about this release.

But as a someone who has a Dark Eldar and Orks army, I can definitely feel the collective pain and anger. Really bad marketing from GW.

Different user but that's no excuse, the reason generals do that is not solely for continuity, but to also let people know where the old thread is in case it gets archived. Otherwise it just becomes a hassle to go through, find and reference stuff from the old thread.

>looking through the space marine codex
>its twice the length of any other codex
>every type of unit has like 4 variants to it

what the heck.
And this isn't even including the all the other space marine chapters that have their own book, in any other army they would just be included in the main codex.

Like I get "space marines get all the models" but this is insane. Its no wonder they sell well, if all the models in the game are space marines they're going to be the only thing that sells.

Sheesh I almost want to play space marines with all these choices, not even getting into allying.

Well, you can and its fun but Vanilla Marines are pretty heavily locked into being a shooting army if that's what you want.

Such plentiful organs!

>this entire thread is just people saying "this just in, GW cares more about space marines than any other army!"

you fucking morons cant JUST now be realizing that right?

huh, I kind of want dakka and stabbing tho.
lot more stabbing.

How's this list? I figured the Blood Angels would make great melee support.

>excuse
I'm just telling you why most people don't give a shit. There are too many threads for people to treat them as carefully cultivated gardens like some other Generals. More than anything we just want a proper subject and tag for searchability.

half of it's worth it but I wouldn't expect any support for the SoS

That's what CSM are for