You have to steal an adventure

You have to steal an adventure.
Without your players knowing.

You can base it on a book, a movie, a television show, a comic, or even a play. You can change names and otherwise modify it, but it needs to be perfectly recognizable if someone was familiar with what you are stealing from (at least to the degree that A Fistful of Dollars is recognizable as Yojimbo), and yet you have to run your players through the entire adventure with none of them realizing you stole the whole thing.
And, to top it all off, they have to enjoy themselves.

What do you steal an adventure from?

Interracial Anal Vacation 3.

Hot Wheels Acceleracers, adapted into Planechase.

Fatal is the system, I assume?

To not be caught? Grab the fate engine and run people through Proposition Player or some shit in the obscura end of /co/, or if i'm sticking to books, throw some space pirates together and play through Consider Phlebas.

Ducktales.

Brutal DOOM

Starship Troopers or Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness.

Trouble is, it's a group with a wide number of interests outside of RPGs. Can't fool all the of people all of the time, I guess.

William Gibson books. My players don’t read the Shadowrun corebook, let alone foundational literature of the genre.

Fantasy Persona 4

Sea of Ghosts

Count of Monte Cristo
Probably run it in Riddle of Steel

Malazan, I'd steal the Battle of Black Coral and the Tenescowri Siege of Capustan.

Each would be a one shot probably.

Percevan. Holy fucking shit would I would do to get away with the Emerald Table or Seven Seals.

Wakfu. None of my players watched it. Or some tales from 1001 Nights. Or a noir campaign based on any of the countless obscure noir movies. Or the same with a western campaign. Or the same with some pulp sci-fi or fantasy.

similarly, basically any fantasy novel except for lord of the rings and game of thrones tends to work for fantasy

There is a game I enjoy abbreviated as EBF, I think it'd work quite well if my friends didn't also like it.

Remo Williams.

Everyone will just think the superkorean is political commentary of some kind.

>Not stealing old JRPGs
I managed to pull it off for a few years before it died.

The Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Just pretty it up with a new skin and focus on one small aspect of it and no-one's the wiser.
t. I'm doing this right now with a superhero game, no-one's made the connection.

Lord of Light.

My players barely watch movies, so I'm mostly stealing ideas. They are so movie-illiterate, I was able to pick things like Silverado or 13th warrior and run entire mini-campaigns out of them.

>13th warrior
You mean Beowulf?

My last ten campaigns were:
Kelly's Heroes
random improv
Chinatown (entire bits from it verbatim)
Crimson Pirate
Fanfan Tulipan
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy combined with fucking Spies Like Us
Haywire
Dogs of War with few bits from War (the Russian one)
random improv
Payback combined with Heat

One of the players reminded about the similarities with Crimson Pirate, but other than that, they didn't figure this out on their own. On the plus-side, they are aware I'm picking things from films and other media, but they don't mind, as they rarely (pretty much never) know the sources, so for them it's a fresh experience

No, I mean 13th Warrior.
Beowulf suck balls in any existing version that still tries to be Beowulf, rather than superior spin-offs in style of the 13th Warrior. It'a actually amazing how a heroic saga can be so fucking boring and uninteresting.
Said that, I really do fucking love the "Finn of Frisia" scene from the otherwise laughably bad CGI Beowulf

>it needs to be perfectly recognizable if someone was familiar with what you are stealing from
How would one do that without railorading to a max?
You can make simmilar setup and so on but from start of scene 1 players can throw it in completely other direction that would make original inspiration unrecognizable.

We play Hunter, so... He Who Kills?

I could do so many things here; I read a shit ton of old pulps and fantasy books, actions films fromt he 60s and 70s that most people my age have no idea even exist. It'd be easy. The problem is deciding which one to steal.

Lensman. Do the Doc proud

Hell, if I really wanted to be sure they wouldn't know, I'd ape Skylark.

>How would one do that without railorading to a max?
By using basic premise and plot points? I mean what kind of question is that? You never run a scenario based or something or what? You pick the premise, you pick important elements, clues and twists, you retain iconic characters or their expies and then run a game out of it. Whatever happens is bound to give a very similar plot all by itself, rather because you've forced it, simply because there isn't really much to do other than following limited number of possibilities coming directly from the premise, unless players openly decide to ignore the plot, get their characters packed and send them on a journey to different place. Which might not even be possible in certain scenarios.

Bamp

Who Killed Captain Alex, set in Anima BF. Everybody in Nanwe knows Ki Techniques.

I'd steal Yugioh's Duel Terminal storyline. It'd be a pretty rough game Especially for any green-haired nature freaks, but it's totally survivable.

I technically already did it in a game by having the three Ice Barrier generals appear and try to summon Trishula. But there's a lot of stuff happening in DT, lots of cool enemies or allies to pull, and there's like four iterations of it happening each time.

Can't go wrong with the classics. NGE

Since my players are a bunch of scum and villainy, i would do the Holocron Heist and some of its paired episodes from TCW series. I think if i did it for the dnd campaign i could mask it easily enough and most don't watch TCW enough to recognize it i think.

I just finished watching Shin Gojira. The circle is now complete.

>stupidly overpowered vampires with unique superpowers
>one of them falls in love with a PC

Easy mode I guess? You can't railroad or be called out when there is no plot or characters to recognize.
Also I have faith in my players to turn this into highschool vampire hunters monster of the week show.

I've done this as a one shot before, probably the best game I've ever run.

Problem Sleuth.

I've recently finished running pic related. Halfway throught one of my players asked if it's some sort of Indiana Jones comics or other media. I never felt so sorry for someone underexposure to genre stuff.

Contact DS

My crew knows I like anime JRPGs, but they don't play them so I'm good so far. I'm not following the story but I have most of the set pieces in place and ready.

I've got somewhat similar experience when ripping off Romancing the Stone. But then I've recalled that it was made as rom-com spoof of Indiana Jones, so I guess the confusion of players is somewhat justified if they aren't familiar with the movie used as a basis of scenario, but know more famous 'older brother'

I included Benkei, Yoshitsune and Yoichi from hentai VN maji de watashi ni koshinasai as 3 travelling samurai from Nippon (warhammer fantasy) trying to reach albion while escaping an army of oni and yokai. So I just swapped the genders of anime girls.

>final fantasy 1
>can't rip off a video game for a D&D campaign if the video game already ripped off D&D

I ran an entire Cyberpunk 2020 campaign based on the Spenser private eye novels by Robert B Parker. Ripped the plots and characters of over twenty of them for the game. Worked great.

>1985
>not 1950

C'mon.

Some sort of Russian fairy tale or cartoon.

Ergo Proxy
Enjoyable post-apoc setting with cool powers and philosophy and whatever, and obscure enough that nobody would recognise it unless they're a hardcore anime weeb

100% the best way to do this is with an old school video game guide book.

Guide books are filled with the relevant plot details, maps, names, and mechanics for your worlds. In published modules and settings, important details are buried under shitty gygaxian prose 100% of the time and you basically have to read a short novel to run a god damn dungeon.

Not video game guide books. Open it up and you get the point. You have to use your imagination to describe scenes anyway, so why not skip the bullshit instead of memorizing module fluff?

Wake up. You were dreaming. Not even last night's storm could wake you.

The world and legend of Tholtig Momuzidek Lelumdoren

>You have to steal an adventure.
Dune.
>Without your players knowing.
Dune. They've all read it, and love it, so they won't care if it's a rip off.

Now only if I could pull it off.

Earth 2150: Escape From The Blue Planet, using either Only War or something I can brew up. I'm definitely doing this now for the next campaign.

WW1.
My group's too autistic to know what history is and I'm a history buff.
Just rearrange the map of the world a bit, give each nation different names, switch around names to make it so the germans are arabic so it doesn't click in their head, have serbians be kurds and have it take place in a more geographically interesting middle east.

I am actively doing this right now with the Misspelled Cemetary quest from Kingdom of Loathing, ported to Exalted 3e. No one has caught on yet.

1985 is the most usable for tabletop.
Mostly because it's a parody of both the original and the adventure movies in general, so it nicely fits with self-aware (or at least semi-aware) players at the table and their antics along the plot.
Besides, the '50 version is shit just in general. It aged like milk.

Sup /pol/

Dune might be close to the perfect book.
Which makes any adaptation of it awkward and a disappointment.

Treasure Planet, in a heartbeat.
I'd add in some more fantasy elements (magic, gods, etc) obviously, but I'd leave the aesthetic almost entirely unchanged.

Shame it was a flop, probably one of disneys best animated features ever,

>Sup /pol/
What in the actual fuck Veeky Forums

Hellsinker. I could either run a fantasy campaign (replace GRAVEYARD with some sort of royal "adventurers' guild", Cardinal Shaft would work well as a megadungeon if I flesh out the background/fluff pieces, PRAYERs could be golems/outsiders, etc.), or just play the game straight with no changes in a sci-fi/sci-fantasy/cyberpunk/supers/Exalted-esque setting and not only would it work well, nobody would be any wiser.
I've also ripped dungeon layouts from the Submachine games on multiple occasions.

>Shame it was a flop

Disney execs actually deliberately tried to make it a flop.

It was a passion project from two senior animators, John Musker and Ron Clements, and the only reason it got green lit was that they had a contract that if they did two movies, they could make their adaption of Treasure Island. They did Little Mermaid and Aladdin, but the exec's still didn't want to make Treasure Island, so they renegotiated the contract. After they made Hercules, they essentially forced the studio to let them make the movie.

And, almost as if they were afraid that the movie's success would mean they Musker and Clements would be unchained and allowed to do more of their own projects, Disney performed one of the most botched marketing campaigns.

Lol, I watched that Breadword video too.

That guy is gonna blow up on youtube, forreal.

But still, i'd use the fuck out of Treasure Planet. There's already loads of orc and goblin like creatures in the film, it would be relatively easy to hijack and rework it to a D&D style theme.

Maybe replace laser pistols and giant space engines with magical alternatives or something.

That's got me wondering, would it be more fun to run a Lensman universe game during the Triplanetary era, or much later? I'm inclined towards the first desu.

My friends and I have super similar interests, if something is enjoyable enough to steal campaign ideas from, it's something I wanna gush over with them and share the enjoyment of.

Morrowind is my shit

You need to have another two ranks of Veeky Forums mems to get why his post is straight out of /pol/, otherwise you can't even try to pass the skill check.

Man, I wish I had people to play this with.
Or at least sit up and discuss the anime. The sheer dissonance Sapir-Whorf makes thanks to three different sets of subtitles and what actual original dialogues are about is all mind-numbing by itself, not to mention the plot of certain episodes that makes you rewatch and still ponder what the actual fuck. The Ophelia episode was seriously messed up, in the good way.

I could do the Odyssey easily. Iliad would be cool, but difficult to do properly due to the character-driven aspects of the conflict. I would now love to do a campaign where you've been besieging a city for almost a decade though

I stole the Game of Thrones RPG story from the Cyanide game that came out a few years ago for a campaign. Nobody played the game, it was pretty dated and clunky when it was released, but had pretty good writing.

Infinite Space
Great game, great setting, nobody else seems to have ever played it

The Court Jester movie with Danye Kaye
Probably without the songs though.
Have them infiltrate the usurpator king court under different pretense (as a jester, a cook, a servant or anything, I would let them make their own plan to disguise) to save the true heir and put him on the throne
Its such a comfy movie and not a lot of people (if any )know about it in my social circle so It would go unoticed

The Prisoner, a 1960s tv drama, but it works better with smaller parties unless one of the characters is an antagonist all along.

Anything from One Piece
>Recruiter by a princess to save her desert country from a villainous man that the public trusts, in charge of a massive criminal organization that's been sewing discord to form a rebellion in hopes of wiping all resistance out and taking the whole kingdom for himself.
>Discovering a country in the sky that is currently under the tyrannical rule of a would be god and his army of loyal priests, all while a dwindling tribe of warriors fight to reclaim their stolen land that is located in the sky now after a 400 year war.
>Fight against government assassins in a massive got talent controlled island to keep a super weapon out of a corrupt officials hands
>Battle a twisted villain who rules over a large island, who steals people's shadows and implants them into corpses to create zombie soldiers.
>Free a kingdom from the twisted rule of a false king who has enslaved countless people but in a way that no-one remembers them.
A lot of arcs and movies in One Piece can be fantastic stand alone campaigns, or multiple sessions.

>Salsa Frontier
JRPGs have some weird names man.

I could legit just directly copy the plot of any of the Redwall books and not a single player I GM for would be any wiser.

Pearls of Lutra, Lord Brocktree and Legend of Luke would probably be the most fun.

How far do you think you could get into Lord of the Rings before someone caught on?

Make the ring different cursed artifact and make the disposal condition something other than "dump it in a volcarno," and I bet you could make it to Moria before you got called out.

I'm a player in this game but my ST described our VtR game as "a bunch of vampires reenact episodes of Seinfeld."

I learned about all that from Lindsey Ellis, like a year ago.

Who is this Breadword?

Motherfucker I was going to say Kelly's Heroes

Mate how is liking history make me /pol/?
Maybe your comment would make sense if it was about WW2 with /pol/'s obsession with nazis and all but I'm just a guy who likes history.

>How far can you go with Generic Hero Quest To Destroy Cursed Object #2908
As long as you don't add hobbits to it, you are safe

Hitler fought in WW1 you fool! You are a nazi by proxy

Not the guy you've asked, but here is the explaination:
It's /pol/ obsession with Middle East this time around. So instead of shooting nazis you shoot inscrutable Arabs and are a hero now for keeping Aryans safe and mudslimes on check.

Dude. Midnight Meat Train. 100%. I've been trying to run it modern-age in dread but I may run it in D&D with some fantastic transportation.

My players are from different areas, but heed the call to take a holy city to keep it from a goblinoid horde. if the players investigate, they find out that there's no real need and that the merchant republic that pretty much gives money its name is actually extorting the religious head who wanted to retake the holiest site of their religion because ships aren't cheap.