Best Generic System

What are some of the best generic systems?
I've wanted to try out GURPS with my group, but they refuse to look at it because of the reputation behind it.

Some games I know of and have skimmed are:

- Savage Worlds
- FATE
- Genesys
- OpenD6
- BRP
- Cypher
- JAGS
- 6d6

What are the best among those? What are some systems that I didn't list that are worth looking at?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!rFY0SQTJ!4N7Ho0sRuTRk7Xh_IHcTjqGvEk45hCkKSX0Za5VdWaA
mega.nz/#!nNogXDzL!_httdOPQ53jNWdMxYRYUcT7ftjLuVeWmZiwy_zzeCnM
img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1366/39/1366392953060.pdf
img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1432/60/1432604805480.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

As a massive gurpsfaggot i can safely say to have a boner for BRP. OpenD6 is my second choice and a savage worlds game is fine to.

Mutants and Masterminds works preatty good as a generic over the top rulesystem.

Seconding Mutants and Masterminds. If I couldn’t have gotten my group to try out GURPS, I would have gone with M&M. It’s very very good at what it does.

Also i almost forgot: EABA, a very very good underrated generic system. Give a look at the lite manual (pic related)

Freeform supplemented by a die of choice.

Can't, the reason they didn't want to play GURPS was specifically because there's no random die generation, they don't want less crunch

also which is best die

>not armwrestling as a conflict resolution mechanic

>not racing to make the GM cum as a resolution mechanic

Wait, did you post about this in the GURPS general? You're still with those chucklefucks? Just fucking drop them. If they're crying about a system because they can't be better for free right off the bat because they rolled higher stats, there is no way they can be decent roleplayers and are not worth the effort you're putting out for them.

>Wait, did you post about this in the GURPS general?
maybe

>Just fucking drop them
They're the only group I have or know of

GURPS

If that’s literally their only complaint, just let them roll 4d drop lowest like they want to find their starting attributes. Will it be unbalanced? Yeah, and by quite a bit because +/-1 to an attribute in GURPS actually matters, but that’s what they want. If you want rolled stats, you are actively pursuing random chance determining how powerful the PCs are in relation to each other.

I hope you do this OP, and I hope they accept, and I hope that no one gets above a fucking 7 for their starting attributes. It’s one thing to argue that rolled stats make for fun, unexpected characters, but these faggots are openly complaining they can’t have good stats for free because the dice rolled well at the beginning of the game.

BRP is my go-to system.

Nobody knows what it is tho

>savage worlds
Has a couple of interesting ideas in it and a lot of dodgy ones, mostly due to the designers trying to solve problems which are not actually really problems. Generally regarded as being decent for it's intended genre (high-flying pulp action), but handles everything else pretty clumsily.
>FATE
Basically the game that put "narrative-focused" on the tips of gamer's tongues, and the game that newer editions of games like D&D and World of Darkness are all trying to copy, poorly. It is neither rules-light nor particularly impressive in it's progressiveness as compared to newer narrativist systems, so don't believe anyone who tries to sell it on those terms. It is, however, a pretty solid universal system with a lot of supplementary support.
>all the rest
Not enough personal experience to say. Ninety-nine percent of universal games are uninspired garbage though. You'd need a crack team of researchers and over a year to catalogue every "simple, universal RPG that can be learned in five minutes and used to play anything!" available on the internet because somehow every week or so some jerkoff has an miniature stroke for just long enough to think that's an underutilized design space and shit out a PDF.

OP's pic? Call of Cthulhu? RuneQuest? The system, possibly after Warhammer, most people think of when d100 is mentioned?

I would say FATE. That was my favorite game for a long time. Then I played in a campaign using it with a GM who is a pure rules lawyer with no concept of character, narrative, or role playing, who only perceives games as math. Made me hate FATE, him, and gaming in general.

Why the fuck would you use FATE as a crunch system? Fucking why? It's primary use is as a narrative system? WHHHYYY

fuck user, you made me frustrated

HERO also exists. Or is that another system? I can't remember.

Isn't HERO even crunchier than GURPS?

I don't know if I could survive that

This, BRP is fucking great when you don't want to deal with the full autism of GURPS and it's easy as fuck to hack it into whatever you need

t. user of gurps and brp

>Why the fuck would you use FATE as a crunch system?
As far as I can understand, he literally does not understand the concept of a narrative system. He only perceives them as how complicated they are, and figured that since we hated when he ran GURPS, we would like this.

What is Veeky Forumss consensus on genesys?

I don't think it's been out long enough for a large consensus to form. I could tell you my personal impression of the system, but I'm just one schlub.

Risus

It's not really good for a campaign though, not enough character advancement, and they would get OP very fast

Personally, I like EABA best among the generic systems...

(Though I honestly like BTRC's old Warpworld/Spacetime/Timelords system from the 1990's better than just about anything...)

as a GM for an FFG star wars game... the narrative dice sometimes don't help. Sometimes all I need is a "yes/no". I don't always need complications or advantages.

Thirding this. It does not have to be over the top. It can easily be adjusted down to Streetpunks & Zipguns where people die easily. M&M 2e can be played instantly by folks who have played any form of D&D or d20.

GURPS is honestly a fairly easy system to use for players, all the hard stuff is put on the GM. The "hardest" part for players is character creation, once that's done it's super easy to run with good resolution mechanics.

>- Savage Worlds
Absolute trash, fuck-huge modifiers for the dice mechanic, stupid narrative rules like Bennies whose usefulness is dependent entirely on session length, and exploding dice that means a halfling can punch a dragon and one-shot it. Fucking gay.
>- FATE
Somewhat-cool idea weighted down by stupid metacurrency, special snowflake dice that the kikes at Evil Hat made to get even more money from their audience, also a "ladder" of meaningless adjectives for skill checks, and rules bloat (turning a game that used to be 50 pages into over 200 pages).
>- Genesys
Snowflake dice, dumb-ass "lol I need dice to be creative" shit where the symbols pop up and tell you stuff that happens, except that you have to come up with with what it actually is. Has nothing interesting to offer, just bland narrative crap by developers who don't know what they are doing and eaten up by hipster normies who don't know any better.
>- OpenD6
Old-ass system with janky probability, horrible scaling, rolling 5 dice for every character's attack is just great. Piece of shit system. MiniSix sucks too.
>- BRP
In the same vein as HERO system, it's overcomplicated shit, there is nothing "basic" about it.
>- Cypher
Decent but still relies on gay-ass metacurrency.
>- JAGS
Dumb-ass snowflake dice mechanic but is probably okay.
>- 6d6
Have read this before, my first thought was "who the fuck wants to roll 6d6 for skill checks?" and nothing on the inside gave me any indication that it was worth the trouble of doing so.

Virt pls go

fuck, you read my mind

inb4 FATAL is worth playing

I like d6 and i want a fantasy remake

>In the same vein as HERO system, it's overcomplicated shit, there is nothing "basic" about it.
>roll d100
>If its under your skill you win
>if its above your skill you fail

How is that complicated?

>He finds BRP over complicated.
I'm impressed you even know how to type.

>Can't, the reason they didn't want to play GURPS was specifically because there's no random die generation,

Dump them.

You deserve better.

Most of the systems you list ALSO don't have random generation so...

It depends of what I want of the System. Fun and fast paced space opera, so you can fight as soldiers, pilots of mech or space ships in the same session? D6.
Sword and sorcery fantasy/historicals? BRP.
I like my rpg system medium, not over complicated nor storytelling vague. And that you feel your characters are over the top, but still humans.
And yeah, I was initiated in RP be grogs.

did you read the risus companion and the risusiverse rules?

> Most of the systems you list ALSO don't have random generation so...

Yep, the only one with that option is BRP

My systems of choice are Risus and USR.

>playing any of those other systems when you could be playing GURPS

No its not. They're about the same, but HERO works best for fantasy and supers, not detailed stats like GURPS.

I personally despise it, but you should do Savage Worlds. It's basically the D&D 5e of Generic Systems.

Here's Savage Worlds:
mega.nz/#!rFY0SQTJ!4N7Ho0sRuTRk7Xh_IHcTjqGvEk45hCkKSX0Za5VdWaA

And here's the Savage Worlds genre companions, everything you could need:
mega.nz/#!nNogXDzL!_httdOPQ53jNWdMxYRYUcT7ftjLuVeWmZiwy_zzeCnM

My personal favorites are Hero and Gurps, and always will be.

Yes, and while they help I still can't see them being that good for long term campaigns.

Maybe I'm just being stupid, please explain

>Savage Worlds
>Fuckhuge modifiers
>Bennies being bad
>Exploding dice not being better than crits

wot

So tell me what's specifically good about BRP, I hardly ever see people talking about it anywhere on the internet, and I legitimately don't thing I've ever seen a game of it running (Outside of the occasional CoC game)

>FATE
>Somewhat-cool idea weighted down by stupid metacurrency, special snowflake dice that the kikes at Evil Hat made to get even more money from their audience, also a "ladder" of meaningless adjectives for skill checks, and rules bloat (turning a game that used to be 50 pages into over 200 pages).

What's bad about FATE points? It helps to make a system better suited for cinmeatic games.

Dude, you can literally just use d6's as dice, it's detailed in the fucking book itself. Also good reference to DA JOOS, really shows your a shining paragon of intelligence

Yes the ladder doesn't mean much, but it's there for beginners

I do agree with the book being way too long, but I don't think it's due to rule bloat, I think it's due to horrid writing and placement, the rules that are there work fine, though fate accelerated really fixes that problem

also

>BRP complicated

Look to earlier intelligence comment

Haven't played Genesys, agree with D6 and Cypher for the most part (I know I defended metacurrency earlier, I think it's not done well in Cypher), I don't think anyone has actually read through or played JAGS besides that user who once played JAGS wonderland and 6d6 is kinda shit

FATE accelerated is even worse

Microlite20
there's variant called Realms of Rekmown which is almost perfect.
pic unrelated

It's already been stated than BRP is a less autistic GURPS. With the lack of autism also comes less detailed mechanics, but mechanics that are quick to learn, quick to play and quick to tweak to fit your particular game, while still retaining enough crunch-options to satisfy most.
Downside is that it starts to fall apart if you pile on high heroics and touchy-feely. Its default form is "semi-realistic physics engine".

Sorry for the delay mate

>So tell me what's specifically good about BRP
Apart from being the core ruleset for the aforementioned Chaosium games brp works as a standalone modular omnicomprensive toolbox system with lots of supplements for playing different genres (as gurps). It differ from gurps by not being specifically point-buy (but it has options in such sense) and by being more narrow in term of detail depth (still it is a simulationist game). One of the peculiar aspects of brp is the rule (optional) of character development through active use of the skills: it works exactly like skyrim, oblivion or morrowind, the more your character uses an ability, the more the chances of develop it.
There's a free quickstart of the rulesystem (pic related), give it a read for more info.

> I hardly ever see people talking about it anywhere on the internet, and I legitimately don't thing I've ever seen a game of it running (Outside of the occasional CoC game)
Well, it is a legittimally outdated rulesystem, right now his successor is Mythras, but still it remain a pretty solid, easy to use rulesystem.

>not a single post about One Roll Engine

Veeky Forums is just getting shittier and shittier

ORE is a fun system, but it's too funky for me.

Consider Hero System. Especially "Champions Complete" and "Fantasy Hero Complete" of you want to introduce the game to your friends.

> Hero System 6th Edition Trove
m3g4
#F!06Q2kY7I!r2JY-moVxFUGl90w6LDa2A

> Hero System 5th Edition Trove
m3g4
#F!Ym5RHIJL! Qk1NgisxONlZbCQdbNYBZg

I see this recommended now and then, does it run well? It just seems like there's better options for a lighter rulesystem

>He only perceives them as how complicated they are, and figured that since we hated when he ran GURPS, we would like this.
>when the autistic guy really tries to help but legit can't

BRP, or BD6.
If AGE was better supported I'd say that as well, but currently it's only really good for Dragon Age 1-2 games.

Not to speak poorly of Hero System, but if a group is intimidated by GURPS, how to sell them on Hero as it really isn't any less complex?

What about GURPS intimidates them?

From what the OP says, it's the point buy nature.

Which risusverse rules are good for long campaigns?

>Risus
This whole thread I've been trying to think of "this one game some user plugged once that looked like an interesting possibility". This is it, Risus. I never played it but it seemed nice and light but open, not sure how well advancement would go. Sadly I never saved the book for it.

The thing about Risus is that it is begging to be hacked and houseruled. If the advancement scheme seems dodgy to you, try playing with the funky dice rule, which uses a more traditional XP-awarding system. The funky dice rule also gives PCs more "headroom" in terms of how far they can advance.

Talk about stroking your GM's ego.

>Well, it is a legitimately outdated rules sytem
I don't know about that. It still holds up well. I think the reason it sees so little discussion is that there's not much to discuss. It's an unexciting but reasonably simple and fairly solid system that gets the job done without much fuss or bother. Other than that... what's there to talk about?

Can you point me towards this?

img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1366/39/1366392953060.pdf

I might draw some hate over this... In several ways GURPS and Basic Role-playing are conceptually similar systems. Aside from being "Universal", they require a certain amount of pruning to function smoothly. The GM needs to decide what rules to ditch.

In a cinematic game it might not make sense to utilize the full GURPS combat rules, or the bloated amount of skills in Basic Role-playing.

I don't like GURPS, because I feel like I should go through every splatbook and prune the rules applicable to my setting and basically typeset my own specific version of the rulebook and that just takes too long.

Also, having gone the normal arc of D&D->more simulationist games I'm coming back towards narrative games and starting to feel that the strong abstraction evident in eg. OSR might not be such a bad idea after all. And GURPS thus represents now a bit too simulationist system to me.

You sound like a bitter cunt.

See, I do like GURPS, quite a bit, but would still like a more narrative, "soft" option for a generic system. So far nothing tickles my fancy, though I kind of want to go back to take a look at old BESM/Tri-Stat, 3e I think.

How do I convince people to play BRP

Also what the hell is JAGS / 6D6

I think if you want a softer system with some crunch, check out Savage Worlds

RISUS.

I don't care for Savage Worlds at all. I actually have been playing in a game for a few months now and while the game is fun, I have found nothing about the system is likable. I don't hate it, but I don't think I'd play in another game of it.

RISUS is too light, and has no real advancement options

Before you say "Risusverse / Risus companion", I don't really see how they could be used for a long campaign, please explain

Maybe check out the One Dice system. It's pretty crunch-lite. (1D6+stat+skill vs target number or opposed roll.) I've used it quite a bit and found it does the job very well. It's not an *exciting* system, but it is a system that does what it's supposed to and then gets out of the way. And it has about a dozen different variants for different settings (although the core mechanics stay the same.)

img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1432/60/1432604805480.pdf

Stars without number

I like Fate the most.

Savage Worlds is... functional? But just really uninspiring to me as a system.

Normally I can't into D20, but this is a very good choice. Hell, the world building stuff alone is worth a read.

I feel the same way about both systems, personally. Fate is just overworked. It's like they decided to try and make a simulationist narrative system and it just doesn't work for me.

Strike! is the best generic system, and the fact that nobody plays it just proves how superior my tastes are to yours.

My hat's off to you, sir. You elevate bait to the level of fine cuisine.

Is it trolling if you actually believe it?

No, it's just stupidity, then. His wording tells me that he's not serious, though.

What if I say I'm about 45-50% un-serious at best?

Then that tells me you've found a system that you really like, but you know that other people have complaints with it (legitimately or not) and you're destined to a life of gaming loneliness.

Damn... Read like a book...

If it makes you feel any better, while I wouldn't run Strike I would play it, so you're not completely alone.

Just mostly.

At this point, I'll take what I can get.

Strike!fag or whoever it was who kept pushing Strike! convinced me it's worth trying. There are some interesting ideas in it, though the combat and non-combat systems being totally different seemed a bit odd, the D&D4e style combat certainly piqued my interest.

If a check isn't enhanced by narrative complications is it really significant enough to justify a check?

Genesys is my go-to now, but it's definitely not for everyone. Narrative dice are polarising for a reason, for some people they work great, for some people they're a poor fit.

Although I do maintain that a lot of the negativity towards them comes from people who are just stuck in their ways and unwilling to try new things. Some of the criticism is very legitimate, but most is whiny grognard bullshit.

YEAH, I WONDERED ABOUT THAT, TOO. IT SEEMS ODD TO HAVE SUCH COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SYSTEMS, ESPECIALLY SINCE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN EASY TO USE THE BASIC COMBAT SYSTEM FOR SOCIAL CONFLICTS AS WELL.

ALSO, CAPS LOCK!!! (I AIN'T RETYPING ALL THAT, DAMN IT.)

What, like, attacking and dealing 2 damage to their resolve? Flanking with arguments?

Gives a new meaning to "fictional positioning".

It's all in how you phrase it. Instead of physical resolve you have social. Instead of "flanking" you find a flaw in their argumentation,. Or, perhaps you verbally flank them by having someone jump in on your side at the right moment with a new piece of damaging information or a biting quip. And, so on. It really wouldn't be all that hard to re-purpose the combat system.

In combat is delicious crunchy tactical D&D 4e style fun.

Non-combat is abstract fluffy narrative stuff.

Neither on it's own is bad but the combination in one game is odd.

Well, you could use the... what was it called... team confrontation? Something like that. It's pretty gamey, though still different from combat.

I find that really hard to visualize. What are the minions in such a setup? Terrain? The characters themselves? What do they represent? I mean, It'd be a fun game but it'd be going very abstract.

>I feel like I should go through every splatbook and prune the rules applicable to my setting and basically typeset my own specific version of the rulebook and that just takes too long.
That's the opposite of what you should do. GURPS is great, but most of the genre splat books (fantasy, supers) are totally useless. Only stuff like Martial Arts, Powers, and the Tech books are worth your time or money.

Use a setting people is interested, or a simple Call of Cthulu game as introduction.