MTG Legacy general

Hatred Edition

What old cards do you wish were still playable?

RESOURCES

>Active Legacy Forums

mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame

mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy
tcdecks.net/format.php?format=Legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art, by sets, by artists, and more

basiclandart.tumblr.com

> Budget lists for newer players

docs.google.com/document/d/1me_bqX45Fh_auKaETDcE6GgxWq569qspmBk1VoOtBHU/edit?usp=sharing

READINGS

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but oddly relevant)

channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Deck Database

pastebin.com/44w1kkRZ

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/883710#paper
m.youtube.com/watch?t=180s&v=L8lypElLQeU
mtggoldfish.com/deck/884683
ddft.wiki/posts-output/DD_2017/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-01-18-turbo-stasis/?cache=2018-01-11 21:46:00.342183
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like old card designs, makes them mich easier to proxy.

ban deathrite shaman

ban your face

>What old cards do you wish were still playable?

Power Surge
That card literally stopped having an effect when mana burn was removed and WotC can't be bothered to spend five minutes to errata it so that it does something

I have a casual build.
4 hatred
4 Inivisible stalker
self mill
control
goes off one in ten but it feels so good

Spiritmonger. Still my favorite creature, even if it's bad now.

Okay, I'll bite... what's the self mill for?

Anyone running straight Grixis Storm these days? I've been feeling pretty underwhelmed by my green cards lately.

>What old cards do you wish were still playable?
Astral slide, like always. Smallpox and goblin bombardment are close to playable currently.
Also unban earthcraft already. There are so many cards in legacy which have a good chance of being unban worthy, but no one has been able to make earthcraft even slightly scary.
Yep, I also run 4 young pyros in the board because I think boarding bounce spells is a bit of a joke. Just go fast against most hate or board pyromancers against chalice/combo.
mtggoldfish.com/deck/883710#paper
This person has a more normal list without green.

I'd been considering Pyros, actually. I lost to Eldrazi today because I just couldn't get anything going. I've always liked bounce spells against hatebear decks like Elves (postboard), D&T, and Mav, but I've never liked the 2-cmc instant removal because it feels like it's soft to any kind of taxing hate. Honestly, I'm pretty worried about Storm's future. Every other set there's another hate-piece printed, and even though many of them aren't that great, critical mass is a strong strategy, and it's a pretty strong signal that Wizards wants to kill the deck. I blame Modern Storm, cool though that deck looks.

Unrelated question for BReanimators out there: how essential do you find Stronghold Gambit to be? Been looking to trade for them, but I'm wondering whether they're necessary.

As parfait, do I just auto lose to infect?
Seemed that way when I was playing

Hey I need some good red control cards. Suggestions? Any will do!

Its just who gets his things faster. I have won infect many times by just removing his stuff and comboing fast.

Bolt is good control all the time accross all formats. Chain lightning is like a sorcery bolt if you need more removal. Rift Bolt is a slow bolt if you need bolt 9-12. Fireblast is like a free spell if you have extra land drops. Eidolon of the great revel is good for controlling what spells your opponent plays.

LEGACY GENERAL IS BACK BOYS

Vintage lite is still alive? Poor souls...

I know team events aren't a good indicator of the metagame but the legacy decks in the GP santa Clara top4 are boring as fuck. Only turbo depths is remotely interesting.

LEGACY BEST FORMAT

Blood Moon is the elephant in the room, and its goofy brother Blood Sun might be a good choice going forward.

Well, there's Pyroblast/REB, but those are a bit mainstream. Active Volcano is a good one. So's Stingscourger.

Eidolon of the Great Revel and Pyrostatic Pillar are core cards for Burn (though Pyrostatics go in the 'board). They're really good at skewering opponents, taking turns off the clock, and drawing hate. They're also excellent against Storm if Storm can't find removal in time; they often force awkward plays like "rit, rit, rit, Tendrils, Past in Flames, flashback rits, Tendrils again."

Price of Progress plays very much like a control card. Sure, all it does is damage, but timing it to get the most damage possible can put the opponent in some really awkward spots. Hitting them on upkeep or with a spell on the stack when their lands are tapped are two good ways to mess with them, and if they Brainstorm stuff to the top with a fetch open, you can mess up their planning.

What decks does /lg/ hating?

Have you played Enchantress with Earthcraft? I recently playtested with the card and Squirrel's Nest for shits and giggles and honestly it was really fucking good. I think the card can get off the banlist to see what happens but I wouldn't be shocked if it was too good.
Turbo Depths, the deck isn't even that great but i keep dying to it.

>Enchantress with Earthcraft
I have, but I'd appreciate another list to test with if yours worked.

Hey wanna get into legacy, is mono red storm a good semi budget deck to get into it? Don't say burn I already play it in modern.

Rishadan Port is a must have for DnT right?

I think it is. It gets you pieces you might use for other storm decks (LED) and for mono red sneak attack (tombs). And the deck can win games and looks fun. I say go for it.
The deck is better with Port, but you'll still win some games without it. If that's the only card holding you back, just build the deck without it. Better to play the format and have fun and win slightly less than not play at all.

>he's not playing 93/94

You could try Arbiters/Mindcensors with Ghost Quarter. Can't guarantee it's good, but it's a thing.

From what I've seen of it (which isn't much), it seems like a reasonable choice. I think you'd get more mileage out of Charbelcher, though; the expensive lands for Red Tide don't go into other decks for which you'd want the storm cards, and you'd need to dig up a bunch of other staple lands to get further use out of them. You'd probably get more crossover value out of LEDs, and those open up a ton of possibilities. I started out on All Spells and Dredge, then made the crossover into Storm from there. Granted, Underground Seas were about $200 at the time and I traded for them rather than paying cash, so I don't know how attainable that specific goal is these days.

And don't discount Burn in Legacy. May not have as much crossover value, but the deck is real.

>be ill
>final exams
>studystudystudy.webm
>time to take a break
>open yt
>ddftguy new league
>mfw

Having a lot of trouble with with TES Vs Czech pile lately. Something about the combo of discard + counters + 2 for 1s for days that is just so backbreaking. Do other players compensate for playing more aggressively and hoping to just go fast? Like with the extra EtW Plan? Or is it better to board in xantid swarm and hope they side their removal out in G2 and 3?

Glad I could provide some entertainment. I thought that video had some really interesting games, although the results were just ok. I've been on a rough patch lately. Feels like every time I brainstorm I draw completely dead. Might try cutting some baubles for preordains.

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt since i dont play TES, but I don't really like Xantid Swarm. It's no good against discard, and they'll still 2-for-1 you with Kommand. I think a fast ETW is a better plan, so much so that I've been sideboarding multiples and bringing them in for this kind of matchup.

Link?

I got you senpai
m.youtube.com/watch?t=180s&v=L8lypElLQeU

I'm also not a TES player, but Xantid Swarm is a major trap in everything but Charbelcher. I'd go for more Empties.

In fairness, I think Pile is a tough matchup if the opponent has a sideboard that can fight us. It's not too bad preboard, but a combination of Flusters and Pyroblasts make it really tough to get off the ground before we get Hymned or something.

Ground Seal seems reasonably helpful in AnT, but I don't know that TES has room for it.

first game of last match vs grixis delver you end up with 4 lands i think with a rain of filth resolved, then double conjurer bauble into lotus+wish at storm 6, he was at 18

had you had 1 more mana you could have had a lotus, wish, tendrils kill that wouldve been sick, i don"t know if you saw it (i guess you did) but a kill through double force like that wouldve been sick

have you ever tried a quicken¿? maybe too gimnicky ig

After a long absence from Legacy I jumped back in this past weekend playing LED Dredge, my old favorite. I ran it without Dread Returns in a play on the old fashion, adding a playset of Street Wraith as is the new fashion.

What I ran:

4x Bridge From Below
4x Narcomoeba
4x Cabal Therapy
3x Ichorid

4x Golgari Grave-Troll
4x Stinkweed Imp
3x Golgari Thug

4x Faithless Looting
4x Breakthrough
3x Careful Study
4x Street Wraith
4x Lion's Eye Diamond
2x Putrid Imp

4x City of Brass
4x Gemstone Mine
2x Mana Confluence
3x Cephalid Coliseum

I think I made a few sub-par plays, but three games had really explosive starts that were starved by failing to chain dredgers, or basically a turn wasted using a draw spell just to discard dredgers resulting in a slow start.

On the drive back I was pretty intrigued by a decklist that 5-0'd a Legacy League that looked like this.

4x Bridge From Below
4x Narcomoeba
4x Cabal Therapy
4x Ichorid
4x Nether Shadow

4x Golgari Grave-Troll
4x Stinkweed Imp
4x Golgari Thug

4x Faithless Looting
4x Breakthrough
4x Street Wraith
4x Lion's Eye Diamond

4x City of Brass
4x Gemstone Mine
2x Mana Confluence
2x Cephalid Coliseum

This build is basically T1 combo into full g/y based aggro, cutting all Careful Studys and Putrid Imps for Nether Shadow and upped dredger and Ichorid counts, and also cutting another land. I've been testing pretty heavily and I'm really enjoying the build, which consistently gets out several creatures T2 for quick beats.

Street Wraith shenanigans are pretty fun too
>Cycle SW, sack LED in response
>Cast Draw Spell, Cycle SW, sack LED
etc.

Nether Shadow/Ichorid sometimes trip over each other though, as the black creature card you exile with Ichorid then can't be used towards the Nether Shadow trigger upon resolution.

I actually would have needed 2 more mana since one of those lands was played after Rain of Filth, probably I should have not played the rain first, if there was a chance I'd be brainstorming into more land. Though I'd still be 1 mana short even with that. I also probably should have fetches volc with the last misty and sac'd a land to pay for the rit, so if i drew wish+led or rit off the bauble i would win. Not that it mattered but just little percentage points to keep in mind.

Re:quicken, I think it's too gimmicky. There's not a lot of point to doing one sorcery at instant speed, although eot doomsday could be fun. But still, that's 4 mana and with that much you could probably be going off at sorcery speed.

The classic G1 T1 punt. I do that a lot...

Loved that labman win against sneak and show m8

>testing out different lands for my brew
>opponent is on reanimator
>game 3
>play grafdigger's cage on turn 1
>he plays phyrexian nega-obliterator off dark ritual and lotus petal
Needless to say I have zero answers for that in my deck, and I really liked the cut of that guy's jib.

That's the downside of mtgo. You can misclick easily. Put your cards back in the wrong order off ponder or something, things that are much harder to do in paper because you can double check, or say "white-no I mean red mana"

mtggoldfish.com/deck/884683

Any critique?

Skeletal scrying is questionable and so is reaper king. If you were looking for another big green creature, worldwide wurm or the 4th autocthon wurm would be better.

Oh I missed the 1of enlightened tutor. Reaper king is fine.

I'm just trying something different
Saw an old video from 2012 doing a Turbo version of Lich, but I'm only running Nef Lich.

Plus I had Enlightened tutor so I didn't wanna waste it.
Skeletal Scrying, it's a bit iffy since I may not be able to get as many cards as I want if my grave isn't packed. I've also tried Night's Whisper/Sign in Blood. Seems ok but maybe I may reduce that number to 2

I've been thinking about brewing Lich with show and tell and progenitus.

Nothing's stopping you

I'd like to see a niche deck like this in comp play

I've bern playing BUG Delver for a few months now, and while I like it I was considering trying to put together another Legacy deck with a different playstyle.

What are peoples thoughts on Reanimator? It looks super fun to me but I can't help but think it's a bit too susceptible to hate.

bump

The BR version isn't that susceptible to hate because it goes so fast.

>playing vintage cube
>opponent really relying on the next draw
>unexpected absence on 0 his Mox Diamond on his upkeep

No one ever told me Stax was this fun.

Okay guys
what if like
what if I put a one of hatred in pox.

Jesus Christ user

that's filthy
you're filthy
goddamn

I actually lost that game but used the same trick to win the next one, which was the tournament final.

It's all about sending a message.

Ban list update on Monday, thoughts?
I think we will finally see nothing again and that's fine

It's about damn time they ban nothing, format's ok for now, although I wouldn't be sad if they banned DRS.

Force of Will formats are the bumper bowling of magic.

Pauper is the only true format that matters

Does turbo stasis have any chance? I'm talking mono-blue, black vise, maybe chronatog for the memes.

Nope.

How so? I'm just curious to your reasoning.

An article I helped a bit with regarding the current state of Doomsday. Pls read and insult harshly.
ddft.wiki/posts-output/DD_2017/

Bump

>pays 2 mana
Pssh, nothing personnel, kid.

:^)

>pays another 2 mana
Uh nothing... personnel, uh kid...

>mfw

I would love stasis being still playable. But the legacy meta sadly has no heart for my favourite deck of all time... good old turbo-stasis...

so sad Word of Command died when interrups and instants become the same... i loved this card. Just imagin how awesome i would be imprinted on a isochron scepter

If I use this to exile 5 lands immediately after playing it, does that mean that I can sacrifice it to fading before the land exiles resolve? Does this work like Fiend Hunter?

No. The sacrifice trigger on Fading only happens at the upkeep when it tries to remove a counter and can't. You can, however, bounce it with all the exile triggers on the stack and remove the lands permanently.

The card still works the same.

thats true but nowdays you can play all the dangerous instants away in response. Word of Command needs an errate with "split second" to become as great as back then.

Is this viable in any format?

What exactly is the difference between instant and interrupt?

back in the time of interrups the only way to respond to an instant was by casting an interrupt. And to response on an interrupt using another interrupt.
So, for short, an interrupt was even faster then an instant.

What if they erratad all old instants to split second an old interrupts to be able to be played through split second?

>what if they made the game retarded?

It is in EDH, but only if you're not playing competitive. But in all seriousness ilwhy would turbo stasis not be viable in Legacy? Is it a card advantage thing?

Orim's Chant, Swords to Plowshares, tutor up a Solemnity

Easy peasy lemon squeezy

Do you have a list you've been working on? I'd be interested to see what you have in mind. The main problem that comes to mind is durdle-factor, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to make work.

So Dark Ritual gets hosed and Brainstorm gets Split Second, but it doesn't matter because Force can be played through Split Second, and all the cards that currently have Split Second effectively lose Split Second?

Sweet . . . post digits, yo.

Enjoyed the article! Keep doing the good work of the Drills.

What do you guys think of a new BUG chains of Mephistopheles build with Leovold and the Anvil?

Been trying to work my head around it outside of EDH since I only use Chains anvil in my Nekuzar to surprise people who thought leovold was bad as a joke.

>can't draw tribal
Sounds gross. BUG colors have lots of strong cards in them so you'd have a good shell. Brew something up and give it a test. You'll need to come up with a wincon though. Maybe some kind of planeswalker ramp deck? Walkers generate CA even under the chains.

Chains Anvil does makes Leovold look like a joke lol

This I need to see. Have a list?

Why?

Top getting banned made my legacy deck unplayable

RIP Painter

It wasnt even a good deck anyone would know mighty quinn but i got led to parfait which is pretty similar i guess so its fine

What is the new parfait? Or are there any decks doing comeback

You can brew it into legacy. Parallax wave, Parallax tide and opalescence in, maybe parfait? Use tide to exile animated wave while the ability's on the stack

It's been a while since I've built a deck, been itching to brew something. I'll give it a shot, it sounds interesting.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-01-18-turbo-stasis/?cache=2018-01-11 21:46:00.342183

This is a first draft, I'm sure it's shit but the deck seemed unfun enough to warrant investigation at least.