>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

Damn this thread wasn't here for like 10 minutes and I didn't know what to do.

Here's my shitty model. Second one I made ever.

>painting Marines for the first time
>think my basecoat looks okay
>turn on my desk lamp
>entire mini looks grainy as fuck

Any idea what caused this? I'm newfag as hell to mini painting and ive still not got much of a clue what I'm doing. I made extra certain to thin out my paints and my spray primer came out alright no idea where all these bumps came from.

And the back

Looks like I've got my month worked out!
I've never really cared for Fantasy, but I figured I'd challenge myself for the painting competition.

That's fine. Thin your paints a bit more though and apply a second coat.

No one is looking at a mini this close up or blown up this big ever. If it looks fine at 2 feet, it's perfectly fine.

It's a problem with the primer, particles dried before getting to the miniature's surface. Look if it happened to other models when you primed

I was filing down the mark left by the sprue and it ended up giving a slant to the part, this is for a Tau Fire Warriors DS8 Support Turret, do I need liquid/solid greenstuff to fix this or will it not be noticeable.

When should you contact SS-user about being GRINCHED? I heard someone say second week of January.

bought a nobz box to convert up all my own hqs, ill be damned if i pay over $20 for one small model. multiple pictures incoming, i've made 2 weirdboys, two warbosses, and two big meks.

this weirdboy is actually made from the ork runtherd model. both weirdboyz are primed but none are painted yet. tell me what you think of all these guys please

Alright I'll go ahead and do this.

None of the other minis have this issue. Then again I sprayed those when it was fairly warm outside and I did this one yesterday when it was quite a bit colder out so that might have effected it slightly.

Posted in last thread but it was pretty much dead anyway.

2nd ever fig finished, thought it turned out pretty nicely even if i was scared of doing flesh for the first time.

[1/2]

and the other weirdboy

[2/2] looks way better irl than my shitty phones render it, white or yellows not so bright

He looks old

looks good, i like the snow on the cape

This is my warboss with a bigchoppa. put together a kustom shoota for him and gave him horns which turned out kind of absurdly large, but i think with orks that works

...and this is the boss with powerklaw. I had a spare deff dread arm, and I figure any proper warboss has to have the biggest klaw in the warband. that way the others know whos in charge

Not big enuff. Get an ogre body.

Once its assembled/painted it probably wont be noticed from the tabletop, but you'll always know its there...
alternatively just file it some more until its straight

yeah, unfortunately the nobz are only a little larger than regular boyz. I hope to mitigate this a little bit by giving them both some rocks or bodies to stand on when i base them. does the deff dread arm help the klaw boss look bigger or just kind of shrink him in comparison?

another pic of the back

Doesn't look good.. Get some AOBR warbosses from ebay and convert them instead of trying to bulk out nobs, which wont work without extensive extensions and green stuff work.

not really a fan of the AOBR warboss, honestly. maybe it's just because i have a lot of ork players in my area and most everyone uses one. what would you suggest for greenstuff to bulk them out? I have a lot lying around

also, here's my kff mek with kombi-skorcha

and from the back. kff is the bit from the gorka/morkanaut kit

I believe Santanton already mentioned that he's working on it. Mail him.

Well, it would basically involve sawing the body down the middle and waist and bulking it outward and upward to make it taller than a nob. Really though, look at getting an ogre or ogryn body as a base instead, they make for good, bulky bosses.

this one i had a fun time with. made a kff mek on a bike, but made it a rokkit bike by using one of the bombs from the dakkajet set. I plan to use greenstuff to give him a big trail of fire and exhaust out the back so he'll appear to be shooting forwards. several pics from different angles incoming

'O RUNS BARTAH TOWN

i'll try the greenstuff bulk up seeing as i've already got these guys built. if i'm really unsatisfied after painting them ill look into the ogre boss and these guys can just become big nobs.

here's another of the rokkit bike mek

one from the top. kff part is fro the dakkajet kit combined with the telly-port blasta from the megamek/meganob kit

last one

Second model? Looks bretty good

what's this model called? I've seen it with those electro-orbs in the middle and I want to make one.

Its a drop pod

Isn't that just a space marine drop pod?

Isn't that just a droppod?

Space marine drop pod

2 questions:
What is recommended for covering the flat joint sections if you want to prime and paint before attaching arms?
Where do the fire warrior belt bits go? I can't seem to find a spot that fits the piece and also doesn't block the arms.

You can attach grenades at the belt behind the right arm.

>What is recommended for covering the flat joint sections if you want to prime and paint before attaching arms?
I use poster tack. Works fine. I too have learned the dangers of trying to paint those bastards while assembled.

I'd post a picture of my own Fire Warriors but I just realized I deleted all my pictures when I had to reinstall windows

Managed to finish this part in the weekend. All left now is the hood, mechanical headcrab, base and a single servoskull. I hope I can unpin and assemble everything without damaging the paintjob.

Trying some things on a 'rescue' Predator I had a priming mishap with a few years ago and, after letting it sit in brake fluid for a few months, just threw in a box and forgot about. Plastic is all kinds of fucked and brittle as shit, but after a few layers of paint and primer it's fine.

Some progress on paintfront! Also trying out how the IG autocannon because why the hell not.

Looks great already dude.

But what's with the white stripes?

I need your help, wip.
I want to paint my DKoK minis with a blue uniform. My original idea was to go black undercoat - The Fang - Drakenhof Nightshade - Russ Grey (leaving out the recesses), with a highlight of Fenrisian Grey. However, I'm a bit scared about the "leaving out the recesses" bit. It might be tedious to do that on dozens of minis, and I'm not that great of a painter.

So I thought about another option. Given that my minis are already primed with chaos black, and basecoated with The Fang, I might instead use a layer of Russ Grey, then wash them with Drakenhof Nightshade, then drybrush them with a lighter blue color.

Should I stick to my original plan or is the second idea worth trying ?

Thanks - that's what I'm working on. I'm trying to make it look like the turret and main gun are the 'sword' to the DA wings. Right now it's only kind of ok from a higher viewing angle.
But if I don't manage I'll just throw it away - don't need a fourth Pred anyhow.

i think it looks good, saw what you were going for right away. edge highlights are a lil bright, makes me think of necrons. They still look god though so if u like it i wouldnt worry

It's looks more than fine to me, tbqhwym

try the second idea on a tester model and post the results

not gonna learn if you don't experiment

I read it as a sword its fine m8 [other user interdicting here]

Those prominent edge highlights are a combination of shit lighting, mobile phone camera and large picture. Barely visible in person.

Thanks guys. Guess I'll finish it and decide then.

My only complain is that belongs to a gay chapter, rest is perfect, you're being to critical to yourself

even better then. but yeah i think the dark angels crest on top works

Only difference I'd do is add a point at the bottom of the blade even if it shouldn't be there.

I stabbed myself with the hobby knife while working for the first time, am I a real tabletop wargamer now?

Knock over half a pot of agrax all over your desk and trousers and we'll talk

depends on how much u bled. also rip your almost quads

master-blaster niceeeee

I knocked my vial of Tamiya extra-thin cement all over my hands and the floor last week and just about had a panic attack.
Fortunately that shit evaporates rapidly and I shouldn’t see any outward signs of solvent-induced cancer for at least a couple more decades.

Not much, it was a stab not a slice so it was fairly small and I put pressure on it right away, it's already stopped.

Now should I take the part that I was working on (Fire Warrior backpack) when I did it and use it on a squad leader to honor the piece that drew first blood?

>not gonna learn if you don't experiment
I'm about to attempt Blanchitsu-style painting for the first time as soon as I can get my bloody Mortician team painted up.
Look forward to many abortions posted - it's probably my first real step away from my usual thoroughly conventional painting style.

Does anyone have a guide for painting flayed skin with that pinkish hue to it? Really would appreciate it.

I couldn't tell what you were talking about until I looked very closely if that makes you feel better

Nah, way too big. Anvil industry probably has some human sized autocannons. At least I know they have tons of stuff for IG and tripod/wheels/etc weapons.

This is what I'm working on, Veeky Forums.

new Tzeentch GD I see, that looks like a nice blue you're building up on the head there.

Sent ;)

>I'm about to attempt Blanchitsu-style painting for the first time
What does that entail anyway? Every time I see his stuff, it looks like a blurry mess of white, orange and brown, yet also pretty great to me.

Don't think I'm gonna highlight it any further, it'll just look white, then. But I'm gonna slap some Kantor Blue on the spots I missed I think! Beak will probably be black.

Last touches on Ixion Hale, I'll need to fix the black on the bottom of the base and, more importantly, the white on the blade's edge, but beyond that I am really proud of myself with this one.

As an aside, many thanks to the anons that gave advice on painting older skin a few threads ago.
I usually loathe painting faces, but this one was actually fun and even looks half-decent.

Other than the cape, which is way too contrasted and the blade which could use more blending it's a solid model, good job user.

Too many details to paint...

I think you chose a highlight color for the cape that was too bright, or that you should have used it only on the sharpest creases, because the contrast is too strong

And so much to pin wash.

Nice bunker

One step at a time user.

I posted this yesterday unpainted, and actually got some good answers on what to do. And came up with this idea. But i want a interesting rune or somethinglike that.
But i dont know mich about ork iconography, do you guys have some examples or where i can look for them?

Also the dags are gonna be filled in black, if i pull through with this idea, but i couldnt be bothered to do this in paint

Yeah, I had been wondering if I should redo the cape. The first two layers of highlights looked very subdued, but the last one probably is way too strong.
Oh well, something to do when I fix the other things tomorrow

Also here its without the paint mockup

Pretty Good. Color choice and placement is solid. Some of the paint like what's on the canteen looks a little thick, don't be afraid to overthin you can always add more layers of thin paint without detail loss. If brush control is an issue try keeping a paper towel handy to reduce what's on your brush before you put it to the model. Keep up the good work and if you get discouraged after a couple more compare the last one to your first, you'll see progress!

The Bonesplittaz Battletome has a good selection of Orkish runes, and I'm sure you can find some in the various Ork codices

How to fix stray brush hairs?

Don't be afraid to make a mess. Painting with lots of super thin semi-transparent layers lets you build up that gritty/mottled look pretty easy then go back and put on choice highlights at the end so the contours of the model show through. Stippling and scumbling would be application techniques from traditional arts roughly analogous to what you want. I've heard Blanche and some other folks like to use oil paints on the minis but never tried that personally.

Just stuff that looks like John Blanche's Warhammer art and models, It gets generalized to conversions that emphasize the freaky gothicness and ornateness of 40k mixed with highly variegated surface tones generally to make stuff look highly weathered, dirty, and ancient.

Tiny scissor

So I got a box of blightkings for christmas. Took some inspiration from the blanchitsu guys and tried sticking to just a few paints and not caring too much about shit being the 'right' color.
Was fun as fuck, and opened up for some experimentation I wouldn't have tried otherwise. Highly recommend it

It looks like NMM chrome. Which is fucking cool

did you spray prime the model?
if so how did you do it?
make sure not to be too far back with the can or the particles will dry before hitting the model

Thought I would share my attempts to renovate some of the biggest sad sacks in the imperium. The space marine scout. Everything about scouts looks like ass, their weird expressions the fact they have no necks and their awkward posing. Though I'm not the best by far, I like to think I made them look slightly less derpy.

damn, nice dude

sharp, keep going man looks good

Yup, I'm going with a heavily yellow-orange-brown-white colour palette, leaning on washing and glazing.
Most of the creepy githicness is hopefully going to come from the spidery cloaked techpriest parasitising the damaged walking Wraithguard, while a sunburnt scraps-clad pilgrim drags a book/rock/box through the desert behind him.

Scumbling?

Also WIP on my jet bikes, yes they are orange. Why? Because after painting 10,000 pts of purple white and grey you get bored. I like them, they look cheerful.

Soak in a paint cleaner, rinse it and reshape the bristles by spiraling the brush along a paper towel.

Literally just making a huge mess on a canvas before you start you're actual painting so that you not everything is going over the same base color. It helps keeps colors from looking unnaturally even toned.

I think they look badass. But how do they look next to the rest of your army?