EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous thread: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
How do you introduce new players into your group and how has doing so changed your groups dynamic?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgvault.com/mugenkira/decks/swordlord-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/feldon-of-the-reanimation/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>From last thread:

My friend was playing his Markov deck and Kindred Charge was in his graveyard. I hardcast Chancellor of the Spires, targeting his charge with the creature type Sphinx. Now when my new copy comes on the battlefield, I can choose Charge again and go infinite, right? Chancellor says "may" so I can end the iteration anytime but his Charge in his graveyard doesn't go anywhere right?

That's right. Charge does move though, but just top of his graveyard. It's not exiled unless another effects states so.

> it doesn't exile the card

yes, you can go infinite with chancellor and charge.

But what was WotC thinking? not exiling the card is a part of this effect all the time. but they forgot on this thing. weird

Reposting from previous thread in the name of jank and mad science.

Does this actually work or am i dumb?

Alright this gloss is taking forever, I'll sand it and give it another couple coats over the next few days. Take a look.

1/2

>guise i stained a box
i mean cool i guess but its not exactly impressive or anything

2/2.

Also, no one guessed any of my decks last thread.

Yeah my friend was pissed but cool with it as long as I actually followed through with generating the tokens as they triggered. Its was a geometric series, 1, 2, 4, 12, 108. I stopped there since the next amount would be 10,476, followed by over 100 million. It was pretty neat though.

Not always. I think there's more, but I didn't bither checking

Wait, no, it doesnt.

Shit, that was a potentially cool interaction.

Oh well, plan B then.

To clarify, errata'd:

>{4}, {T}: Reveal a creature card in your hand. Search your library for a card with the same name as that card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Assembling Mishra is fun.

is woogerworks dead?

>i mean cool i guess
Radical, I appreciate the words of encouragement user! I will keep up my terrible hobby, so maybe next time I could get "kinda neat" or "moderately spiffy" instead.

How is that supposed to work? If you mean that you'd copy _____ with metamorph, it doesn't work, since metamorph has the name way after the cast trigger has happened, on the stack it's just "Phyrexian metamorph"
This would work, but really doesn't have anything to do with Mishra.

someone rate my deck and tell me what i need to replace or change

mtgvault.com/mugenkira/decks/swordlord-edh/

ya i dont mean that to come off as dickish as it sounded, was just expecting something more you know

Well, Chancellor does specify that it has to be a card from an opponent's graveyard, so it's not like this is a combo you can build into your deck. So it might not have been seen as game-breaking.

yeah, it doesn't. I'm currently searching for ways to ensure i get Possibility Storm with Mishra (without straight-up tutor cards).

That's adorable. Shine on you crazy diamond.

I NEED PICTURES

PICTURES OF SUICIDE BLACK CARDS

>mtgvault

You filthy bastard.

i dont know a better way to present an edh deck desu
its just... so clunky to post or make an image for

tappedout, nibba.

Both are mana-intensive, but Planar bridge and - portal work, as do tutors. Still, I'm going to say that it's not a good idea to rely on a single card. It's a cool interaction, sure, but it's still a bad idea.
There's other cards as well, but unfortunately Nether void is pricey and I can't think of others at this point.

There's Blood Funnel, Planar chaos, Ice cave and other stuff too.

This fucking glorious piece of jank

Best boardwipe in the format.

Yeah, but Ice cave and Planar chaos are bad and without Mishra, Blood funnel has potential to completely fuck you over, so it's really not worth it

I have nevee understood why would anyone run this card. It's like a bad Demonic consultation

desu i'm just janking it up. It's not supposed to win consistently, it just assembles a giant doomsday boardstate then crashes it on opponents.

>whenever an opponent casts a spell, you may pay 1. If you do, that player discards a card.

Theme? Desperation? I don't know

Uh, what? With ____?

With ____ in graveyard.

Yeah, figured. I admire your dedication, but it'd bother me to have cards that don't do anything without other parts, and it really seems so much work for so little gain, why not just use Oppression or Painful Quandry?

Brutal with marchesa.

Even more brutal with Skittles

Even more brutal with Skittles

I can't believe something like this is real

What about Hatred?

Oh man I had some good times with this card in Skullbriar.

>dumping huge amounts of life so that Zombie Tree could surprise one-shot people

Yeah, my friend did this to me just today, paid 12 life into it with a Winding Constrictor and knocked me out.

>running this with Taigam, Sidisi's Hand

SO MANY CARDS

>group has decided to allows the use of Nephilim as commanders
Witch-Maw Exalted, here I come.

Couldn't you have just done that with Rafiq?

user I get ALL the Exalted cards now. Even the black ones from M13.

And black means tutors, which means I'll be going for the same cards every time.

But now he can play Black!

Not very surprising, it was printed when 20 life 1v1 was the norm and commander damage as a concept didn't exist yet

>friend is pushing for that new black tutor that lets you pull stuff from outside the game
If my group OKs that, they won't know what hit them when I start dropping Cunning Wish for massive Storm finishers.

I hope they do it just so it blows up in their faces.

>Doh-hoh-hoh I'm so clever
Then maybe you would have realized the good storm finishers are sorcerys and you need Burning Wish.

I do have a Zada deck that would be ripe for a Burning Wish

I was thinking of making a Licia EDH deck with tons of upkeep life-gaining effects like Daka Sanctuary. Any tips? Is she even worth it as a commander?

Neceopotence + Venser's Journal seems like a better way to go desu senpai.

>Upkeep life-gaining
>Not suiciding yourself to 1 life and then dropping hottest lifeswitches of 2018

Weak, my fampire brother.

Needs a barrier to keep the deck in from being loose, but otherwise looks great.

well its instant, and i guess if you knew you were going to win, but needed one card or something to stop yourself from losing at instant speed....

To be honest, that's in hot contention with Blasphemous Act.

Deluge gets a leg-up because it gets around indestructible

>board wipe
>doesn't even get rid of all nonland permanents
What is this, amateur hour?

I said boardwipe, not buttfucking.

>playing in a meta with creatures as the dominate threat
If I played in a meta like that, I'd throw down some crazy shit. I don't, and as a result, boardwipes suck. Most colours have creature removal, but it's a lot harder dealing with enchantments and artifacts.

Blasphemous going down to 1 mana is pretty amazing though.

>tfw blasphemous with stuffy doll and damage doublers

>>Blasphemous Act

pfft, nothing personal kid

>tfw Blasphemous act and Repercussion

>mfw Blasphemous Act and Soulfire Grandmaster
Pulled this shit off in Modern once, gained 91 life for R

>thread question
my regular group buys every precon every year and makes no changes, when a new player comes along we all play random precons for a few weeks then let them make their own decks, its fun getting new players and stops the meta from turning into shit

>>crashing precons into each other

I like doing this, but it's pretty impossible to convince people in my group to do this.

>Thread Question
Kind of depends on "new to area" or "new to magic/edh in general"

>New to area
Everyone's got at least one deck that isn't outright mean so we use those until we figure out what kind of level they want to play at and work from there. Being a college town, we actually get a lot fewer new people than one would expect so it doesn't change much on average.

>New to magic
This is really rare, I don't think we've had a fresh newbie show up in at least a year. But last time we pulled out a bunch of varying color simple decks and asked which sounded most interesting. Though that person was vaguely familiar with magic mechanics so we had a launching point.

Our meta is stagnant, I am a little excited to move out of town for the variety despite the horror stories I'll inevitably endure.

Negator but it’s not very good
Big fan of this card tho, powerful card if u use mana rocks as a heavy mana base, putting one in my sheoldred deck

So i finally got around to doing something with the daretti precon that i was given for christmas.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/feldon-of-the-reanimation/
I just want overall tips and cool cards to put in.
I'd just rather not go infinite if possible, i already have a few decks that go infinite, i just wanna reanimate cool stuff

Any judge here able to comment on a weird interaction I saw pop up (On MTGO)?

I own and control Wurmcoil Engine. My opponent casts Animate Dead on the Sower of Temptation in my graveyard, gaining control of my Wurmcoil. I cast Balance with one creature in play. He chooses to keep his third creature, a Trinket Mage. When the trigger resolves, I am the one who gets the wurm tokens from Wurmcoil dying.

Anybody know what is up with that?

Won me the game once when I had 5 stuffy doll tokens out and doublecasted Blasphemous act with Riku.

He might gain control of the Wurmcoil through the effect of Sower of Temptation, but when the effect of Balance resolves, state based action dictates that the owner of wurmcoil is you. So when wurmcoil dies, it dies under the interpretation that it is owned by you and therefore the tokens are generated on your side of the battlefield.

Not a judge, but I can guess that Sower of Temptation leaves play, and as a state-based action, your Wurmcoil will return to your side of the field. Even if they were all sacrificed at the
"same" time, the game will check your Wurmcoil as being on your side of the field the second it can verify that Sower is gone. The trigger would then go on the stack with Wurmcoil in play on your side of the field.

>thread question
Trying to get one of my friends to play with us. While everyone in my group has a lot of really powerful generals and decks (doomsdays, infinite combos, storms, bling.dec, stax+hatebears), we all mutually agreed that its not a good idea to try to start someone off in magic, especially edh, against absurdly powerful decks.
We're having him start with a Krenko deck, and just let him wreck face for a while. Pull him in and we can pull out our medium tier decks and then go on to hard mode once he understands how the game works and the complexities involved.
Having a sheet that shows game step progression, and when what actions are allowed has been pretty useful so far.

Thats kinda what I figured.

Guess Im just glad he chose to keep Trinket Mage for some reason instead of the flying 2/2

Since Sower's ability is one ability that says "as long as you control Sower", you get your creature back as a state-based action, meaning it was technically back on your side of the field when it was sacrificed.

can this blue dude replace inkwell leviathan?

Honest question, were I to make a deck with him as the question, how would it be functional? I really want to make one for each of the Elder Dinos, but this one by far seems the most unusable.

I'm definitely going to play it, not for the body or anything, but for the card draw.

is there like... any way to kill this thing?

He seems like a decent drop, but as a commander the only really good way to play him would be some kind of Voltron deck where you have a ton of counterspells to protect him. Play him with a lot of card draw, equipment, and counters, and use the last ability to protect him from any kind of removal. Consider the fact that most of the time it's only going to cost you two cards, since you'll draw a card off the spell that's trying to get rid of him. Try to kill your opponents with commander damage by filling your deck with cards that can give him evasion. That's all I can think of. Throw Labratory Maniac in your deck so that people will feel paranoid about casting their noncreature spells.
Split Second, hand destruction, exile him on the stack, or just targeting it repeatedly. He is very hard to get rid of though, as a big, expensive beater with no evasion should be.

Dinosaurs were my childhood obsession, so I am going to be building a Gishath deck even if it isn't that powerful. I play in a weak meta anyway so that won't be a huge problem. The thing is, I have only ever played black or black and white/green up to this point. All I know is hateful bullshit. How does white, green, red work? Any tips on what cool bonuses this colour combo opens up for me that I might not know about? I have the dinosaurs covered, just need some help with the rest.

Mayael's Aria is a pretty good card for Naya colors. If you're used to hateful bullshit, Naya is pretty hateful too, just for anything non-creature instead of creatures like black. You have access to all the best artifact/enchantment removal like Krosan Grip, Return to Dust, Sylvan Reclamation, etc. You have Decimate, probably one of the best removal spells in EDH. You have a lot of wrath effects if you need them. You could run a few X-costed red burn spells that hit all creatures that can be used both for removal and enrage triggers. You should just play a shit ton of ramp like Cultivate and Kodama's Reach, creature-based draw spells like Greater Good and Elemental bond, and a lot of burn and removal alongside your dinosaurs. Also, run a lot of cards that can put creatures on top of your library. Sensei's Divining Top would be pretty amazing for abusing Gishath's triggers like Congregation at Dawn.

Both of those other replies are by morons. You're not casting a copy of the card, you are casting the card. The card leaves the graveyard and goes to the stack, where it stays during resolution.

Once more, this thread is filled with morons who don't know how to play magic. No one said anything for 8 hours? Fucking morons

can you do this in marath

that doesn't change anything though does it

sphinx etb resolves, kindred charge goes on empty stack

kindred charge resolves, sphinx etb goes on empty stack

etc ad infinitum

You're the retard. The Chancellor token enters the battlefield as Kindred Charge resolves, which means the triggered ability of the Chancellor doesn't go onto the stack until Kindred Charge has already resolved and gone to the graveyard.

>tfw Assemble the Legion + Aura Shards

re: Nezahal
even though he can't be countered, can you counter his activated ability? coz if so thats another way towards removing him, even if its not directly doing it.

Yes, you can counter the ability, but they can just activate it again.

damn i kind of love him. i can't tell if hes totally worthless or really cool though. no maximum hand size and extra draw are okay, but at the end of the day maybe thats not enough to make a 7/7 for 7 worth it versus so many other options...

He's a huge beater that's nigh impossible to remove and kills your opponent in three swings. He's not the best monoblue general around, but he's at least unique in that there isn't really any other "invincible beater" generals that are mono blue. There's also plenty of ways to make him unblockable in blue.

werent the latest commanders set 4 colored ones?