/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Imperial Camel Corps Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/gdvadj7t6l5w6/Aero_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mediafire.com/folder/j962ws6h50bqj/Victory_Games
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mega.nz/#F!O1cUGTRL!4FSvbQTXjmRTz1TfVXqxLw
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/d00kbpry8d910ce/Osprey - MAA 269 - The Ottoman Army 1914-18.pdf
mediafire.com/file/6ri86cd98fxt9i1/Osprey - MAA 406 - The British Army In World War I (3) The Eastern Fronts.pdf
mediafire.com/file/cf83qc8k0f2w8wx/Osprey - MAA 473 - New Zealand Expeditionary Force In World War I.pdf
mediafire.com/file/o3h3swpq7i8jz6d/Osprey - MAA 478 - The Australian Army in World War I.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=-rg6sF74PPU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Wargaming Magazines
mega.nz/#F!O1cUGTRL!4FSvbQTXjmRTz1TfVXqxLw
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead
The Face Of Battle
General d'Armee (TFL version)
Swordpoint

January the 9th in military history:

475 – Byzantine Emperor Zeno is forced to flee his capital at Constantinople, and his general, Basiliscus gains control of the empire.
1127 – Jin–Song Wars: Invading Jurchen soldiers from the Jin dynasty besiege and sack Bianjing (Kaifeng), ending the Northern Song dynasty.
1760 – Ahmad Shah Durrani defeats the Marathas in the Battle of Barari Ghat.
1792 – Treaty of Jassy between the Russian and Ottoman Empires is signed.
1799 – British Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger introduces an income tax of two shillings to the pound to raise funds for Great Britain's war effort in the Napoleonic Wars.
1806 – Lord Nelson receives a state funeral and is interred in St Paul's Cathedral.
1861 – American Civil War: "Star of the West" incident occurs near Charleston, South Carolina.
1863 – American Civil War: The Battle of Fort Hindman begins in Arkansas.
1916 – World War I: The Battle of Gallipoli concludes with an Ottoman Empire victory when the last Allied forces are evacuated from the peninsula.
1917 – World War I: The Battle of Rafa is fought near the Egyptian border with Palestine.
1918 – Battle of Bear Valley: The last battle of the American Indian Wars.
1921 – Greco-Turkish War: The First Battle of İnönü, the first battle of the war, begins near Eskişehir in Anatolia.
1923 – Lithuanian residents of the Memel Territory rebel against the League of Nations' decision to leave the area as a mandated region under French control.
1941 – World War II: First flight of the Avro Lancaster.
1945 – World War II: The Sixth United States Army begins the invasion of Lingayen Gulf.
1964 – Martyrs' Day: Several Panamanians try to raise the Panamanian flag on the U.S.-controlled Panama Canal Zone, leading to fighting between U.S. military and Panamanian civilians.
1996 – First Chechen War: Chechen separatists launch a raid against the airfield a hospital in the city of Kizlyar in neighboring Dagestan.

It is 101 years since the Battle of Rafa, the third and final battle to complete the recapture of the Sinai Peninsula by British forces during the Sinai and Palestine Campaign of the First World War. The Desert Column of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force (EEF) attacked an entrenched Ottoman Army garrison at El Magruntein to the south of Rafa, close to the frontier between the Sultanate of Egypt and the Ottoman Empire, to the north and east of Sheikh Zowaiid. The attack marked the beginning of fighting in the Ottoman territory of Palestine.

In the wake of their defensive stand at Romani in August 1915, British Commonwealth forces under General Sir Archibald Murray began pushing across the Sinai Peninsula. Due to the harsh desert terrain, the pace of the advance was governed by the construction of a railroad and water pipeline to support the troops. Reaching El Arish, mounted forces under Major General Sir Henry Chauvel captured Turkish fortifications at Magdhaba on December 23rd. Eager to complete the conquest of the Sinai, Murray sought to force the Turks out of Rafa, near the Egyptian Sinai-Palestine border. On January 8, 1916, Murray assigned this task to Chauvel's Anzac Mounted Division.

The commander of the Desert Mounted Column, Lieutenant General Philip Chetwode, rode with Chauvel's men to oversee the assault. Near Rafa, the Turks had constructed a defensive position at El Magruntein, anchored on a rise known as Hill 255. Building four redoubts, they placed one atop the hill and the others to the west, south, and east. These were dubbed redoubts A, B, and C.

Approaching Rafa on the morning of January 9 with the 1st & 3rd Australian Light Horse Brigades, the 5th Yeomanry Brigade, the New Zealand Light Horse Brigade, and three battalions of the Imperial Camel Corps, Chetwode worked to isolate the garrison by cutting the telegraph lines to Gaza.

Sending the New Zealanders around to the south, he ordered them to approach the outpost from the east and north, while the Yeomanry Brigade moved in from the west. At 7:00 AM, British horse artillery batteries opened fire on the Turkish redoubts.

Shortly after the shelling commenced, a group of Turks attempted to escape towards Gaza, but were intercepted and captured by the New Zealanders. Moving forward, the British advanced on foot, with Chetwode initially holding two brigades in reserve (3rd Light Horse & 5th Yeomanry). These were soon committed to the battle, as his men surrounded the Turkish fortifications. Advancing across open ground, the assault quickly bogged down as the Turks were able to maintain a high rate of fire. By early to mid-afternoon supplies of ammunition began to run low. Although Chauvel called for further effort, the mistake of leaving the ammunition vehicles behind proved costly, as the attack wavered.

As the Australian Mounted Division formed the bulk of the mounted troops in the theater, neither Chetwode nor Chauvel was willing to sustain heavy casualties, particularly as they both believed that the Turks would soon abandon Rafa of their own accord. Alerted to the approach of a Turkish relief force, the two commanders began making plans to fall back to El Arish. As evening approached and the withdraw orders written, several of Chauvel's brigades launched final efforts against the Turks. Charging from the north, three New Zealand regiments attacked the main redoubt on Hill 255.

This was supported by assaults on Redoubt B by the Camel Corps and Redoubt C by the 1st Light Horse Brigade. All three attacks reached the enemy fortifications and succeeded in overcoming the Turkish opposition. Overwhelmed, the Turks began surrendering and all of Rafa was taken in short order.

During the fighting the Desert Column suffered three times the losses previously endured at Magdhaba. The 487 casualties included 124 New Zealanders: 71 killed, 415 wounded and one missing. Chetwode reported to the commander of Eastern Force, Lieutenant General Charles Macpherson Dobell, that the work of all troops engaged had been excellent, and the part played by the New Zealand Mounted Rifles Brigade had been outstanding.

Against this, the mainly Ottoman prisoners, which included some German machine-gunners, totalled between 1,472 and 1,635, with 162 of them wounded. About 200 Ottoman soldiers were killed on the battlefield.

The Sinai/Palestine theatre doesn't get a lot of attention in World War One wargaming, which is a shame because it has a lot to offer. Manoeuvre plays a huge role, and exotic units like the different cavalry forces as well as armoured cars are in abundance. The Ottomans, with German support, can mount a determined defence and the Allied player needs to exploit their mobility to get around this. Aircraft and artillery come to play a vital role during the campaign, added combined arms elements later on.

mediafire.com/file/d00kbpry8d910ce/Osprey - MAA 269 - The Ottoman Army 1914-18.pdf
mediafire.com/file/6ri86cd98fxt9i1/Osprey - MAA 406 - The British Army In World War I (3) The Eastern Fronts.pdf
mediafire.com/file/cf83qc8k0f2w8wx/Osprey - MAA 473 - New Zealand Expeditionary Force In World War I.pdf
mediafire.com/file/o3h3swpq7i8jz6d/Osprey - MAA 478 - The Australian Army in World War I.pdf

Crooked Dice do a 28mm Hitler (and Blondie!) for their Danger 5 range, but I'm not sure if it's the thing you'd want

One of the things I loved about the Ken Burns series was how it addressed this 'black legend' as you aptly put it
ARVN veterans really got the worst of it: even though they had a bitter homecoming at least US/Aus/NZ veterans were going back to their country; ARVN guys had no country
They were drafted into an army they didn't respect, to fight against their brothers, while commanded by sleazy officers who sold their rations on the black market, and led by a government that didn't give a damn about them, and after it was all over they spent years in "re-education" camps, had their graves bulldozed and their memory expunged from the record - and to top it all off were forever made the scapegoats for failure

Trying to retrieve a downed plane/pilot is totally a great scenario idea
When Theodore Eicke was shot down between the lines in 1943 there was a determined effort to recover his body, on the scale of a small raid
There's also classic pilot rescue missions like the ones in Vietnam, or the tales of WW1 pilots making their way back to their lines through no-mans-land

>and to top it all off were forever made the scapegoats for failure

To be fair, wasn't ARVN often legitimately useless or terrible at their job?

Being on the losing side is horrible. Imagine being some French kid who gets drafted by the Germans in 1940 and sent to fight on the Eastern Front. What happens when you get home? Do people accept you? Probably not. Better join the Foreign Legion and change your name.

The Arvins had a ton of problems, but the average soldier's mettle was solid enough
It's basically WW2 Italy again - a corrupt incompetent leadership spreading a rot from the top down, with the guys at the front practically set up to fail
I mean when you get situations like having your battalion commander sell all your ammo to Charlie then running off to Saigon for a dirty weekend as the Cong come to slaughter you - that shit's gotta hurt the fighting ability overall

Would you be ok with it if i translate your intro posts into german for the german speaking bolt action group on fb?

See An Loc, 1972

So this campaign the Perrys are playing looks pretty fucking cool

Black tree minis do a great hitler

What;s the saddle thing on the cannon on the left there?

Literally that, a thick leather saddle seat the crew would ride when the gun was transported.

See, now my coffee deprived and depraved mind desires lewds of girls in period appropriate uniforms having entirely too much fun riding said cannons.

Oh Veeky Forums never change!

Cannon riding girls is a new fetish

will period appropriate uniform-clad females on horses suffice?

maybe not riding the cannon.....

> Hertz van Rental

My sides

>General otto Biff Von Byford
>Lt. General Gaylord Limpfondle

>tfw i'lll never take part in a campaign where fun will be had

I have noticed that from a while the Osprey books collection hasn't been updated for a few months. Any problems? Can this issue be solved?

Just ordered some Victrix British infantry. What would be the best way to base them, on individual square bases or on multibases?

The main problem was that the Americans pretty much forced them to be a secondary force in their own war and when they finally started to get their shit together during the vietnamisation and where actually beating the communists they had their funding and supplies cut which led to both a material and moral collapse when the reds invaded in 75.
and even then some arvn units fought very well such as the 18th division

Black april is a very good book about this as was 25 year century
youtube.com/watch?v=-rg6sF74PPU

Individual on round coins,cheap as hell and you can get stands with cut out slots so you have the best of both worlds

Warbases even make movement trays with 1 and 2p sized slots.

Of course, not as useful if user isn't a Bong but still.

Not a bong, but perhaps there's an American coin that could fit those bases.

1p coins are just over 20mm and 2p coins are just under 26mm, for reference.

We're in the quiet slump that takes place around the New Year, happens every year
We'll get a flood of things all of a sudden around the end of this month/start of Feb

It appears that a penny is just under 20mm, so I'm in the clear. Cheers bong-anons!

Is super heavy tanks and tank destroyers worth it in Bolt Action? I got an offer for a Tiger 2 and a Ferdinand for cheap but if I'm not gonna use them I won't buy them.
I get way too few games in to just buy for fun.

Depends on your usual game size.
In my opinion anything bigger than a Panzer 3 is not worth it in normal games (1000-1250 points).
Big tanks can make the difference, but in general they aren't worth their points.

If you play 2000+ points or tank wars things might be different though

They look nice on the shelf though.

Fiddling around with a Ferdinand in mind I created a quick list. Would you consider this shit?

2nd Lieutenant with a buddy. Regular.
6 Waffen SS
7 Waffen SS
9 Osttruppen
10 Osttruppen
A puma and an Elefant. Regulars.

What are you opponents usually field?
Anything the Puma can't take out?
Anything a Pak 40 or a Stug, Hetzer or Marder cant take out?

I have an Elefant myself, but i never used it in a game because the guys i regularly play against don't have anything bigger than medium tanks.
Would the Elefant kill a T-34 easily? Yes. After that it becomes a driving mmg.

You're absolutely correct. My main opponent has a T-34 and aT-34/85. Mostly he only uses one of them.
You make sense and I think I'll hold off on the purchase for now.

Incoming bump

....fuck

>I play ASL

It really is the worst.

Why?

Looking for more recent ASL Scenarios than those listed in the archive. Yanks 3rd Edition, Friendly Fire #11 and #12, some of the newer Action Packs...
Anyone got any pointers? Thanks!

>Crashing JU
Well it's definitely crashing but that seems to be a Henschel Hs 129, user
I've tried to dig up some provenance on that pic but all I can find is the aircraft type and the date 1943
It could probably have been a Panzerknacker - which would explain while it was so low - but I can't make out if there's a cannon there or not

>ywn be in a campaign with a bunch of grogs with loads of stupid names, great tactics, running gags and well written tales

Why even live.

Im the only unlucky lad or is there anybody else who did not received his Secret Santa package? :(

BMP

Where do you live?

So far nobody complained via email, so i have to assume everybody got theirs.
Write me a message to hwg-secret-santa-2017 at yandex dot com and i'll see if something can be done.

BMP

It's the perfect example of people taking something too far. Granularity can be really fun in a wargame, but ASL takes it to absurd levels. There's already a very small percentage of wargamers that play ASL regularly, and of those an even smaller percent who have a decent enough grasp of all the ridiculous rules that they don't spend half of their game time referencing the book.

>The merciless Macdonwald--
>Worthy to be a rebel, for to that
>The multiplying villanies of nature
>Do swarm upon him--from the western isles
>Of kerns and gallowglasses is supplied...

I'm going to have to bully somebody into playing Over the Hills and Far Away at some point

Now I really want to see pic related have "entirely too much fun" with artillery, thanks user

Who says we cant?

Some kind of email-run /hwg/ map campaign would be hilarious. We can make up silly names and write stern letters of warning to other generals and resolve all battles deterministically or at the discretion of the referee.

A matrix game could work, basically a /hwg/ quest thread

In all honesty that could work, we'd just need a really good umpire for that matrix game.

We would need to agree on a period too...

>Ancients?
>Ming / far east?
>Medieval?
>Thirty Years War?
>Napoleonic?
>ACW?
>Some colonial stuff? Mahdist War?
>Russo-Japanese wars?
>WW1 or WW2?
>More modern?

I Think TYW, Napoleonics and ACW seem to be the best candidates for comical names

Well, if you are serious about it, and silly names and therefore some sort of roleplaying aspect is a big appeal, do consider Over the Hills and Far Away. The referee can bodge some sort of battle system that suits play by mail on top- it might even be simple enough to adapt the very light system from the rules which seems to be there as a placeholder for the group's battle system of choice

I contributed all I have (so far). I didn't know there was a FF #12.

Ooops... You're quite right. I meant FF10 and 11.
And thank your for your contributions!

I can’t decide between Soviets versus Germans or US versus Germans for Bolt Action.

>I can’t decide between Soviets versus Germans or US versus Germans for Bolt Action.
Play Soviets vs US then

Japs vs Soviets

Finns vs soviets

Italy vs Britain

Allies vs Axis, North Africa

If you require another random gift, I can provide (if yer Euro). My SS was terrible, the only way to wash the bad feeling is of course to send more stuff to randoms.

I'd feel napoleonics or any of the world wars. If I'm to be involved I want my country to be as well which makes ACW a nonoption for me.

>mfw I misses SS this year and want to join
Any swedes who want to do a late present exchange this late? I have an american greyhound I want to get rid of.

time for ImagiNations

Black-powder era germany seems ripe for silly-named Imaginations.

1943, 1944, or 1945 for Soviet versus German stuff?

Also hilariously I just noticed that with the exception of the respective Schurzen and Flamethrower upgrades, the Panzer IV G, H, and J are the same as the T-34/85 rules wise. Might be funny to have a captured vehicle of each painted in German and Soviet colors, kek. Then again, I don’t have the 2nd ed German book so maybe some other things’ve changed.

One of the M4 versions is the same in stats too.
Same as Pz 3 and the T-34/76

Personally i would go with 43.

1944 is the best year. It's before the total fucking collapse, it got all the fun toys and there's still different battles to fought than just defend germany.

>, I don’t have the 2nd ed German book
its in the Op-links
1943 is a bit bad, soviet armor wise.
germany gets tiger and panther, you dont get anything with Ooomph except maybe a Su85 and KV85, if its really late in 1943.

Why don't you give another gift to your SS then. Atone if you feel bad.

>It's before the total fucking collapse

True, but the collapse is fun too because you can throw together any kind of German force and call it plausible.

what a cute little czapka she has

Russian Civil War, lots of characters, fanatical reds, bloody white aristocrats, corrupt bickering interventionists, mad cossacks, bandits, sneaky chinese and mongols.

I fully agree, which is why my force works for both 1944 and '45. The chaotic nature of 1945 is nice but from a campaign perspective you always know your dudes are merely prolonging the inevitable. Fighting in 1944 is still somewhat plausible for the generic infantryman.

I got the PDF of Sam Mustafa's Rommel guys, but is is too big to upload, what should I do?

I don't know why, but my favorite sort of battle to play is the defense of Berlin. I love having hardened SS veterans next to regular troops and even civilians and Hitler Youth. It's the same reason I love Sealion what ifs. Home guard and civilians fighting for their little patch of England.

Print it and mail a copy to any user who asks for it.

email it to whomever runs the mediafires.

I was able to upload Blucher here, how much bigger is Rommel than that?

What the heck Tiger Fear seems pretty strong

Guess I shouldn’t use a T-34/85 with Bedsprings as a Pz IV with Schurzen then?

Give this post some context please.
Are you doing a russian as german list?
Also, there are rules for bedsprings in the Berlin book.

Why? Why not use a regular Pz 4?

A uparmored and captured T-34/85 in german service is highly unlikely actually.

I thought it was funny that in V1 both the T-34/85 and PzIV G, H, and J had nearly the same rules, so I thought about using a T-34/85 with bedsprings in German colors as a captured tank using the Panzer IV rules and vice versa, seeing as how both countries did make use of captured vehicles in combat.

Suppose I’ll just leave it as a modelling thing then.