>Comprehensive Rules
>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Thread question: If you had to bring one (!) memebrew to a GP, what would you bring?

grixis harmless offering

>burn
>that I don't have infinite money
>nada
Thread q
T&N is my favorite deck in modern, so that.

>getting back into bant spirits
>that storm will get a ban sometime in the future. I want to build it
>UG Merfolks just to get shit for a standard deck

Thread question: 8whack, no doubt. I fucking love goblins and I'd give an arm to see my clicky boi reprinted in modern, but for now, 8whack it is

>5c Humans
>Blood Moon
>Kessig Malcontents brews

Thread question: Mono-Green Stompy

Where the FUCK is that UR Delver deck list from SCG two days ago?

it didnt top, so no list. i bet it went something like this:

4 delver
4 yp
4 snapcaster
2 clique
1 lavaman
4 bolt
4 serum
4 opt
4 remand
4 vapor snag
3 dispel
2 spell snare
1 spell pierce
1 blood moon

4 tarn
4 misty
3 steam vent
1 sulfur falls
5 island
1 mountain

t. URx played delver for a long time

>no electrolyze?!
ikr

>Thread question:
Jeskai Ascendancy Combo

>Thread question: If you had to bring one (!) memebrew to a GP, what would you bring?
U/R Merfolk. Bolts and cut Master of Waves for Hazoret.

how's dredge?

>clearing the opponent's field and/or stealing the game with Conflagrate
>opponent forgets about Scourge Devil and you swing an extra 7 damage he didn't anticipate
>getting thoughtsiezed and it helps you
>putting down a land and summoning 4 creatures at once with 4 more on the way
Pretty fun before they sideboard. Then it's suffering.

Anyone got suggestion for Anti-Storm cards under Mardu colors?

Kambal, runed halo, eidolon of rhetoric, graveyard hate

anyone ever cast quicken+grapeshot in response to the other guys grapeshot?

Should I make my old jund Living End into a new mono-blue Living End?

If I sell half the deck(Jund Lands, Fulminator Mages, Simian Spirit Guides), do you think it'd be enough to buy the half I need?

if I'm getting into modern, which lands & staples should I prioritize getting first?

you can just side out the amalgams if you don't have blue sources. put in 4x goblin rabblemasters or something and just 'heres creatures fuckin deal with it lol'

figure out which deck you want to play first, then buy the actual cards that go in the deck, followed by the fetchlands, then the mana lands.
you can fake-it-til-you-make-it playing most lists with appropriately colored basics, but you can't actually play with $500 worth of fetchlands and shock duals and no spells.

Get fastlands while they're cheap

I went for a personal deck
4 champion of lambholt
4 greenbelt rampager
4 vengevine
4 glimpse of nature
4 fauna shaman
4 voice of resurgence
4 kitchen finks
4 noble hierarch
2 birds of paradise
2 wurmcoil engine

Glimpse is banned as all hell, but if you're playing casually then it doesn't matter.

I've got a modern GP in my city in a month, so I was wondering what deck Veeky Forums thinks I should take

Grixis Shadow (I've played it a lot but I believe its on the rise again)

Lantern (I've played this a lot online but never irl, so I'm spooked that I'll fuck up or go to time)

Elves (While I'm not that familiar with it its like a brain vacation relatively and I think this deck is actually kinda good)

UW Control (Never played but I'm a believer this deck got so many cards in XLN)

Elves
Splash black
Run 4 westvale abbey

Knightfall.

no but do you want to?

that deck is awful

why on earth would someone run 4 abbeys

Aside from how it's won recent GPs and continues to top 8 here and there. I've played it myself and it actually feels like complete dogshit to play, until you're up against combo decks and go T1 Noble into T2 Geist with Queller backup.

So Tireless Tracker instead?

I think Lantern is your best shot but try to be quick.

Don't sell an established, powerful, beautifully synergistic deck with tons of new and undiscovered tech for a fotm meme deck, but try the deck out if you wanna have fun

Allosaur Elves because the new set has dinos, notice me wotc

Because it's cool

Thoughts, Veeky Forums?

// 60 Maindeck
// 4 Artifact
4 Panharmonicon

// 24 Creature
4 Ravenous Rats
4 Geralf's Messenger
2 Disciple of Phenax
4 Shriekmaw
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
2 Grave Titan
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir

// 2 Instant
2 Dismember

// 24 Land
18 Swamp
2 Ghost Quarter
4 Blooming Marsh

// 6 Sorcery
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Eldritch Evolution

// 15 Sideboard
// 4 Creature
SB: 3 Obstinate Baloth
SB: 1 Noxious Gearhulk

// 11 Instant
SB: 3 Ravenous Trap
SB: 3 Krosan Grip
SB: 3 Abrupt Decay
SB: 2 Surgical Extraction

fuck yeah that'd be the dream

needs a massacre wurm

Merfolk players. What are your thoughts on Merfolk Mistbinder (the UG lord in Rivals)?

Useless. Merfolk doesn't need more lords

it sucks. you shouldnt be going into green for any reason.

how many turns does modern usually last?

depends entirely on match up

I'd say the average is 6 or 7, even if the decks can win in 3.

okay then, is this as good as it looks?

Hmmmm

It's a bit slow. I can see someone whipping out some BS to put it in earlier. I can see a blue-steel build maybe running this.

hmm.. i thought maybe running a deck of mana dorks to rush it out asap for the card advantage. i'm coming fresh from hearthstone though so i'm pretty bad at gauging cards.

I'd put median at 6 or 7, average is probably pulled up by a small number of very long games

Nah, blue steel allows to give convoke to all your artifacts, so you can cast this as fast as turn 3, if you get the right hand.

>is this as bad as it looks
probably.

Games ending on 6 or 7 average includes the effect of interaction. If you do nothing to stop your opponent you'll either be dead or as good as dead by turn 6 the vast majority of games.

>play vedalken and some 1/1 fliers
>play grand architect, tap 3 blue weenies and play that

Thats actually a pretty sweet card for that deck tbqh would run 1 alongside ol' wurmcoil

As a general rule, the only things you should be playing that cost more than 4 should win you the game right then and there.

list pls
catpact ww@

Seems cool, but you could be running some ramp if you're already in green. Birds would be nice. Also I'm not sure if EE is a good fit with so few green sources.

>U
>instant
>counter target spell. The controller of that spell untaps all permanents used to cast the countered spell

Would it see play? If its too strong, add

>that player draws a card

Yes

>The controller of that spell untaps all permanents used to cast the countered spell
I don't think that works in the rules. You could have "That player may untap up to X permanents he or she controls that have mana abilities where X is the CMC of that spell" though

I think it would see play, but I don't think it'd be crazy broken

Yeah, my wording is a total mess. I was hoping it would just be readable. Plus, I was thinking of decks like Tron and elves that would generate additional mana per permanent used for mana abilities.

BU
Instant
As an additional cost, Pay 2 Life
Counter target spell with CMC 3 or less.

Because we need more not-answers to big mana

>Panharmonicon

Stopped reading there

Have you tried nykthos?

Also why do you have dismember instead of push?

>playing
seesawing between pic related and some sort of delver
killing blue players when they crack a fetch or tap low on my end step is truly delightful

>thread question
assuming i don't have to pay for it, turbo moons.

i vote lantern

So there was a buyout on colonade?
>Single one on tcgplayer sitting at $70

Wasn't this card mid 20s just a couple days ago?

well jeskai control just had 2 top 8 finishes at the SCG event
>Wasn't this card mid 20s just a couple days ago?
no

people sperging out about Jeskai control being 1st and 2nd in the SCG tourney.

I'm sad Humans isn't doing as well as I was hoping because I've already made more than double what I invested into Thalias and Meddling Mages because I wanted to build UW hatebears about a year ago.

So who's ready for SFM to be unbanned?

They already announced no changes on the 15th.

BUT I'M FUCKING READY WHEN IT ROLLS AROUND AFTER THAT

I want it, but it'd need a Batterskull ban.

So yes, but they said it was because they were pushing that to the 5 weeks after the pro tour. So there will be unbans then.

No, it wouldn't. SFM gets shit on by all the same hate affinity does and a turn 3 4/4 is nothing to be afraid of

>No, it wouldn't. SFM gets shit on by all the same hate affinity does and a turn 3 4/4 is nothing to be afraid of
Eldrazi has a T2 4/4 Clique. Tron has a T3 Karn. A turn 3 batterskull isn't scary at all.

Agreeing with you, meant to quote parent.

Fuck that, unban Jitte.

DESU, I'd much rather see someone investing their turn 2 and 3 into their 4/4 than seeing a turn 2 Gurmag, turn 2 Thoughtknot into turn 3 Smasher, turn 3 Storm for game, etc.

The fact that people are too afraid because of a fucking brick if SFM gets removed is laughable.

The better question is Bloodbraid Elf vs SFM, because something is coming off.

JTMS

They wouldn't because blue control decks don't even need help at this point. I mean, fuck, we just had TWO jeskai control decks in the finals at SCG

Thouughts on my budget modern Simic ramp deck, Veeky Forums? If I had limitless funds I'd throw in some more expensive cards (Oracle of the Mul Daya, for example), but honestly I like where it is atm. It's simple, fun, and can hold its own against at least a small portion of the format.

// Creature (15)
4x Elvish Mystic
1x Liege of the Tangle
1x Nimbus Swimmer
1x Stormtide Leviathan
4x Sylvan Caryatid
4x Voyaging Satyr

// Planeswalker (2)
1x Kiora, Master of the Depths
1x Kiora, the Crashing Wave

// Land (24)
4x Blighted Woodland
8x Forest
8x Island
4x Simic Growth Chamber

// Instant (9)
1x Blue Sun's Zenith
4x Cancel
4x Unsummon

// Enchantment (2)
2x Rites of Flourishing

// Sorcery (8)
2x Journey of Discovery
4x Rampant Growth
2x Recurring Insight

// Sideboard (15)
3x Creeping Corrosion
2x Melira, Sylvok Outcast
2x River's Rebuke
4x Sentinel Totem
4x Spell Pierce

Gets blown out of the water by most modern decks/5

Had a small tourney at my local lgs
U/W Sigardas Aid deck rekt face
Especially when you run 4x mirran crusader in a moslty black and green meta.

Soon.

It's petty bad, desu

None of its effects are very special or impactful, if it's a specific one you're looking for you can get any of these effects for far cheaper individually.

Mana is harder to come by in mtg than it is in hearthstone, pretty much only control decks will have enough lands in their deck to hit every land drop for a 6+ turn game.

It is not good in competitive, 60-card constructed. In meme formats like EDH, it is decent but will put a giant "KILL ME" sign on your head. Nobody likes cards that read "Prevent fun" in formats like that.

If you want to run mana dorks, ramp into Primetime (Primeval Titan) and Genesis Wave. It's usually the best thing to do with fat mana in modern.

>If you do nothing to stop your opponent you'll either be dead or as good as dead by turn 6 the vast majority of games.
Turn 3-4, actually, is when most aggro decks aim at winning by unimpeded.

>U/W Sigardas Aid deck rekt face
Got a list?
I bought a playset but never got to build them into anything

No but here's a base:
mirran crusaders
1 of each sword
Steelforges gift
Academy ruin

Fuk! steelshapers!!

I've played enought gobos, I want to build my first truly competitive deck but I'm undecisive about it.

It needs to be
>T1 or T2
>relatively cheap for Modern standards
>unfair

What should I play ?

This.

Do people not see the impending doom of manlands?

LANTERN

Isn't lantern T3 ?

Gifts Storm is probably about as cheap as you'll get by high-tier modern standards.

I play Naya Burn, it's also relatively low-price and performs pretty well.

>buyout
>out
What part of "endless supply" do you not understand?
Are you one of those retards that also call killing a boss at the first attempt "1 hit kill"?

>endless supply
>for an out of print card

Lantern is tier 1, the problem is you have to be very good at playing it in a tournament setting so you don't go into time. You also run the risk of running into players who don't know how to play against it and play super slow and don't know when to scoop.

I would expect a decent amount of Lantern at the pro tour since it will be pros vs pros.

Can I see your Naya Burn list? Thinking about getting it myself.

It is if you don't know the meta. It ironically becomes better when you play better people since they won't let it go to time as often.

Endless is a figure of speech.
There are two points to be made here.
- You can buyout almost all the copies of a Zendikar card but: 1. If you buy all the copies of the card the seller is gonna delete the sale and raise the price, at a certain point. 2. The price will eventually go up anyway, sellers aren't retarded.

- If you manage to buy them all out and artificially drive the price up WOTC is just gonna reprint it in the next two Masters set resulting in a huge loss on your part because of the price of the last half of the copies you had to buy at a premium

So what you can take out of this is: if you wanna invest into modern you have to flip cards at the speed of light, don't invest in a quantity you can't physically sell at that kind of speed and there's not that kind of request for by the market.

This renders the simple idea of doing a buyout on a non reserved list card fucking retarded.

>If you manage to buy them all out and artificially drive the price up WOTC is just gonna reprint it in the next two Masters set
a buy out is literally a bet against WOTC doing this. You could have said the same thing at $20, then at $50.

I have already explained how you have to act regarding to non reserved list cards if you want to invest.

What you said, though, is only relatively true. As I said, you can't reasonably do a buyout on that kind of card. You just can't. Unless you're fucking retarded, that is. A buyout is a long term investment.

Non reserved list and buyout are a juxtaposition.

I don't have it written down. I could go through it and get you the list if ye want though. Good lists are easy to find online.

I run a more midrangy G/W focused on, with Dryad Militant instead of Goblin Guide. I have no yard recursion. It's not quite as fast as others, but it seriously cripples a huge chunk of decks. Kills Snapcaster, dredge, and many more.

My secret sideboard tech is Gaddock Teeg because meta is full of stuff that he eats for breakfast.

I never would recommend running Militant and Teeg in regular metas though, it's just my area is so full of decks that get totally crapped on by them that it works out.

>forgot to put end to spoiler
oops...