/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Shad edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html 5etools.com
>5etools
latest update- mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/:
Whats the consensus on the new UA? Was it worth the wait? Also stat her /5eg/.

>Dungeons & Dragons
>A classic fantasy game
>OP posts a modern special-ops waifu

You had ONE job, OP. And you fucked up badly.

>shadbase.com

get out of here rick
go ruin some other community

awful, awful thread. start over. make a new one.

Stop shitposting & contribute to the actual thread.

OP's pic is a shitpost in of itself.

Should short rests take less time? How often do you have an opportunity to take a 1 hour rest when you can't take a 6 hour one? It is sometimes (not always) difficult to come up with a valid reason for my players

>Whats the consensus on the new UA?
Brute is awesome

Is brute what two-weapon fighting needed?

Monk + Spore Druid for 1d6 extra damage on the attacks from Flurry of blows
Could be good.

Here's a contribution:
The wording of the UA is a mess overall, no idea what's up with that. The spore druid is neat but the action economy seems unneededly complicated. Brute is worthless and its similarity to champion means it will get kaboshed in the feedback phase.

Inventor is the messiest archetype I've ever seen, like they wanted to combine Lore wizard with artificer and ended up with something that makes NO sense. Why is their super special armor worse than mage armor? Why would you ever put your party in danger by casting a random spell? Why would you waste so many spell slots adding a tiny bit of damage to a single target? Why does an inventor have chaotic magic?

PAM is better

desu I just halved the time of short rests, 30 minutes. Easier to find 30 minute breaks than 1 hour ones
Brute is just as good for PAM/XBE so no

Yes. In fact, my own house rule is that short rests are defined as taking that usual 1 hour rest, or just a suitable little break what allows one enough time to relax and catch their breath. So if I deem it so, it could be as little as 15 minutes, or somewhere between that and the full hour. Basically whatever I feel like.

Spores is neat but I wish I knew how to flavor a druid with anything other than "haha trees amirite?"

Also Invention is fucking dumb in every sense. Wizards keeps pushing this alchemical casting shit cuz they don't want to actually fix sorc metamagic.

Christ you're right.

>new UA
Spore Druid is ok, but has a typo.
Brute is a revised Champion, strong but about as interesting as drying paint.
Invention is a fucking mess, what with an armor that sucks and eats an attunement slot, a Wild Magic remake that should have been given to a Sorcerer, and an ability to fuck with damage and damage types of spells that's literally just a Metamagic in all but name.

Waste of a UA, hopefully the next one won't be yet more archetypes.

No, it's just a better Champion.

In short: Really fucking simple class to play with minimum active rules to consider, but the passive buffs are better than the Champion's.

>Inspiration points generally intended awarded for good roleplay
>DM just keeps handing out like candy to whomever makes fun memes

>tfw no monstrous races UA

I wanna be a Knoll but don't know shit about balance.

Can /5e/ help a nigga out and give me a quick build?

What exactly is the point of the wizard subclass here? You get a shitty 12+dex magical armor with no scaling and get to randomly cast spells with no way to ensure the spell you cast is useful

Any last minute tips for running OotA? I think I got the early parts down but I'm more asking about post-Drow stuff.

>I wanna be a Knoll

Go fuck yourself, furfag.

Literally has nothing to do with the fetish m8

They're just cool.

Maybe you should make an interesting character instead of relying on what amounts to wearing a funny hat.

>Take an existing race
>Cal it a knoll
>???????
>Fuck off furfag and talk to your DM

How often should I allow short rests? My party is filled with martials and a warlock, so it's pretty important for me to balance out the amount of rests, but I have no good guidelines

idk why u wanna play as an armchair but u do u

The state of Veeky Forums

Running twilight druid for ToA. Any cool spells that work really well with the harvest scythe ability I should prep.

Large to Huge size, movement speed 0, can grow grass if you get rained on enough.
Not really sure why you'd want to play a hill, but to each his own I guess.

A knoll would never, ever, ever work with a party. Their entire being is hardwired for chaotic evil, and they seek only to kill and consume

Clearly he wants to play a knoll, but I gotta say that 5e doesn't have real support for such large player characters.

kill yourself

This, just look at what happened to JFK.

>DM keep overriding my character appearance with his own descriptions
How do I handle this, sometimes he goes 'ok sorry' and other times ignores my comment.
And I'm not talking "oh no he got my hair style wrong", more like I'm literally unarmored, and have described my character as wearing a loin cloth and shoes and he keeps bring in up that I'm dressed in light chainmail .

>Tieflings are devils they're too evil
>Dragons are impractical
>Lizardfolk are...
>Bugbe...
Don't give excuses if you're too dumb to have a real answer.

what if I want to break the stereotype

How ever often they decide to take them, although within reason of course such as a highly dangerous area having random encounters, time events requiring urgency etc.

>

>I'm going to cast Ray of Frost
>okay
>rolls his attack
>its a miss
>goes to roll again
>what are you doing?
>i casted a cantrip as my action so my bonus action can be a cantrip

i've never DM'd for this table before. they're all friends of my one friend. they all are adamant about this being true but are willing to disregard the "rule" if that isn't how I DM. is this a common house rule or am I going insane here?

He's mistaking you for someone else.

It is not a common house rule, nor even a common misunderstanding of the rules.

>is this a common house rule or am I going insane here?

No it's not. Although do keep in mind that SOME cantrips (and spells in general) do only take a bonus action to cast.

I've never heard of this being a thing before. Played with a few different groups of completely different people in 5e now and not once has this ever come up.

Ray of Frost says it has a casting time of an action, I have no fucking clue how your players could miss that shit.

This

Gnoll.

Sorry.

Pic related

the only time you could do this is with the sorc meta magic.

>i casted a cantrip as my action so my bonus action can be a cantrip
Sounds like a good ol' fashioned case of the stupid. I recommend one RTFM taken twice daily as needed. Specifically the section on casting times and the description of the Ray of Frost spell where it is denoted as taking 1 action to cast.

I believe the rule is, if you cast a spell as an action, you can still cast a cantrip that only requires a bonus action, but not another spell with a level.

Sounds like they've misread the rule on only being able to cast cantrips on the same turn as you cast a leveled spell.

It is more dependent on the DM's setting. Are they running something from WOTC? Or is it an original setting?

My players have never encountered Gnolls in my setting. Mostly cause i havent thought of a place for them. But you should be talking to yout DM about this kind of stuff.

The good guideline is in the DMG: strive for 6 encounters and 2 short rests between each long rest. The game is balanced around this but hardly anyone follows it, thus why everyone thinks Warlocks are turrets and Wizards are gods. Note that encounters are any resource-consuming challenges, not necessarily straight-up fights.

Reminds me of a friend who thought Sneak Attack gives you advantage

Hello I need some suggestions. I'm gonna start a 5e campaign soon and I want to roll a Halfling Ranger with Beastmaster and the mounted combat feat, but I'm not sure what kind of combat style I should use or the weapon I should use. I wanted to do something different than two shortswords dual wield if possible because thats a playstyle I used before. I'd also like to have the options to whip a bow every now and then.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to make the character a little more interesting? Any suggestion is welcome.

Shit I posted in the old thread by mistake

Other way around. If you cast a spell that requires a bonus action you can only cast a cantrip as your action.

Is this "Eldritch Knight makes the best archer" a meme thing? How does that work?

Teiflings are *part* devil, beings that have the capacity to deal with good creatures and not "SMASH KILL DESTROY" LIKE Demons
Lizardfolk lack emotions, which is why they tend not to be good

But Gnols? They demonic ghouls that are so heavily intertwined with the demon lord Yeenoghu and the abyss that they litterally learn to speak abyssal by existing. They have both a primal instinct and religious obligation to consume humanoid flesh. They have a primal urge to "SMASH KILL DESTROY". Nowhere in the history of any setting have their ever been a neutral Gnol, let alone a good one. They are nearly planer creatures, expecting one to be anything other then chaotic evil is like expecting a Modron to be chaotic

Spore Druid is fun. Inventor Wizard is a hot mess and Brute is a brain dead number golem that exists for the sole purpose of doing the big numbers.

Nothing wrong with Brute conceptually, it does what it needs to do but I don't see it getting a ton of play.

The spore damage is really low but using your reaction to do it means you can throw it out every turn for free since druids aren't typically going to be using reaction otherwise. The idea of spawning mold zombies is awesome and flavorful but having to last hit with such a low damage attack is daunting and they only have 1 hp so they die to literally anything. More flavor than function there.

It's not our fault OP literally shat up the thread with the OP

the flavor is neat, but it's weird for a druid to sit in melee range and also not use shape shift. should be a more caster focused, maybe let you put spore aura on other people.

Maybe in your shitgotten realms. Most people play in good campaign settings anyways.

For the longest time I was under the impression that you simply weren't counted as proficient in a heavy armor set if you didn't meet the Strength requirement for it. No idea why.

If I added this to the item would the rarity increase?

>You cannot be disarmed with this weapon. If this weapon leaves your hands the weapon liquifies and embeds itself into an open wound on your body. While in this state the weapon cannot be seen by nonmagical means. Drawing this weapon from your wound can be done once per turn without using your object interaction.

I'm not talking about humanoid monstrous races. I want quadrupedal shit and things that slither or skitter and creatures without limbs.

RAW doesn't riding your beast companion prevent it from attacking?

>Most people play in good campaign settings anyways.
user....

Then learn to DM you get to do all that and more.

There's been a chaotic Modron.

And of course gnolls were playable in all but one of the previous editions (Which was 1st. They were playable in basic though)

I'm including every official setting. You won't be able to find a good Gnoll in any of them.

If you want to homebrew and make a good or neutral one, go ahead, but it's not a Gnoll anymore then

It's some kind of weird Shillelagh druid I guess. Get a club and shield and just start whacking motherfuckers and throwing out spores. 1d8+WIS+1d6 is respectable at level 2.

pls halp /twg/

I am a rock gnome wizard with darkvision. I want to use shadowblade effectively as a bladesinger by proccing the advantage against enemies in dim/dark lighting.

What ways can I go about creating dark conditions in order to start hacking at people's ankles? Note that shadowblade is a concentration spell so I couldn't use Darkness even if I could see through it

Oh, and of course they've kind of ruined Flinds. Originally they were a more lawful form of Gnoll, and were the most likely to become PCs.

>No, you don't understand! I don't just want a funny hat, I want a super wacky crazy hat!
Make an actual good character and stop relying on just looking weird

What's better for consistent high AC:
Eldritch Knight/War Magic Wizard
Arcane Trickster/Bladesinger
Something else?

If you could infect team mates with spore halo thatd be cool, or have it do stacked damage. First turn, 3 damage, next turn 6, third 9, etc. Give the druid a reason to really stick in there.

They used to be a separate species which is why they could be lawful.

Stop playing an A.C. meme please

What's it like being this retarded?

What's wrong with focusing on defense as opposed to offense?

If Orcs are the quintessential chaotic-evil then gnolls are chaotic-chaotic-evil-evil. They don't even make sense in a party with no lawful- or good-aligned PCs. They literally have a painfully engorged murder-boner directed at all ordinary humanoids torqued 99% of the time. The 1% is for a few seconds after they've murdered like a dozen people.

Stacking defenses does not resolve encounters and doesn't help your party unless you have the means to force the enemy to target you (which is rareish in 5e).

Alright, you wanna quick build? Let's do this.

Gnolls

+2 Strength, +1 Dex
Medium size
Speed 30
Darkvision
Proficiency in Survival
Inherent 1d4 bite attack
Rampage ability (when you reduce an opponent to 0 hp in melee, you may take a bonus action to move up to half your speed and make a bite attack.

"Painfully engorged murder boner" is such a perfect piece of prose.

Forge cleric.

>Innovation Tradition
>Wild Magic 2.0
>Minus the chance to fuck your party over completely

WotC really does hate Sorcerers. GGWP.

They were still a subrace of Gnoll. It's like drow and high elves.

I’d make rampage be if you reduce an enemy to 0 hp period.

>be me, el bladesinger
>archrobes of the magi for 15 base ac
>activate bladesong for +int to ac on top of +dex
>get bracers of defence because they're reasonably common but specifically require not having arnour
>run around with the shield spell which you can cast after the attack roll is made on your so there's no wasted castes
>dual wielding feat for +1 ac
>ring of prot (only 1 cause attunement slots)
>robes+ bladesinger + bracers + shield + dualwield + ring = 15 + dex + int + 2 + 5 + 1 + 1 = 24+ dex+int

Note that rings of prot can go up to +3 I think? Can't use multiple though due to the attunement limit

Thanks, senpai

Arcane Trickster/Bladesinger. Mage Armor + Dex + Int. Haste for Double Sneak attack and extra AC, or if you want more Damage with lower AC and no double sneak attack Shadow Blade + Booming Blade.

Honestly, though, they both get the Sheild spell...having an AC of 30+ should be good enough for everything.

Gnolls are a kind of generic monster race aren't they? I think to do them right, they'd need in some campaign connection, an interesting culture or tradition.

>el bladesinger

Now, this is a fairly shit suite of abilities, I'm pretty sure (not sure informed on 5e Balance.

Further, for some fucking reason, 5e completely rewrote gnoll origins to be "Uber-Orcs"(unthinking savages, HARD Chaotic Evil, etc) presumably to make them distinct from other monstrous humanoids, and to contrast them with the lazy depiction given in Pathfinder.

As such, we need subraces, and we need an explanation for how this gnoll is playable as a race.

Clearly, the easiest answer is SPITE.

Gnolls have been Yeenoghu's favored servants for millennia, and the profane rituals that create and continue their 'race' have made him a much desired commodity in Abyssal tactics: an inexhaustible pool of mortal servants, created through the corruption of beasts.

Such power was not to go un-challenged in the Abyss forever. And so, two princes of the Abyss have joined forces, and worked a corruption of their own, based in the very source of the Destroyer's strength: for Yeenoghu may be the Lord of Savagery, but he is not the Prince of Beasts. And while his foul shamans work dark magics, they are nothing compared to the Witch Covens that serve the Dark Prince of the Abyss.

So Graz'zt and Baphomet polluted the great rite of Yeenoghu, seizing some of the new-wrought souls for their own.

But the magics that were used to corrupt his control warped in the arcane fires, In breaking the shackles of control imposed by Yeenoghu, the magic fully freed the new gnolls: while touched by the powers of the Abyss, they did not need to heed it. A Soul-Stolen Gnoll may be of any alignment, though they do tend toward evil and chaos, as few fully escape their dark origins.

Yada yada
subraces
Beast-kin (Baphomet)
+1 Con
Feral Senses: advantage on Perception rolls where smell could be a factor, or whatever.

Witch-Hounds (Graz'zt)
+1 Cha
Proficiency in Deception.

Or something like that.

>double sneak attack
user, I...